Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

It will never happen but I would be down with Rodgers for 3 years to close his career out. We would have to give up a 1st and 2nd round pick to get him though IMO but if he was on this team we would probably be 12-3 right now. I love Rivers too so nothing against him, Rivers will end up 11-5 but Rodgers gives us even more star power, we would get calls with him as well lmao 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Who knows. Everyone thought Love was going higher  also. Lawrence and Fields will probably go top two. But like I said there are lots of teams who don’t need QB picking high. So if someone is there go get them. Especially  if we miss the playoffs and pick at 18. 

Love and Lance in this years class are both perceived as projects who will both benefit from sitting behind someone. Its one of the reasons I like Lance coming to Colts.

Fields is extremely overrated 

Yeah, Reich wanting Rivers back is no surprise. And I imagine Ballard sees the pros of bringing back what I would say is the highest floor option at QB (don’t think Ballard trades for Rodgers or anybody).

Part of me thinks Reich isn’t planning on coaching past a couple more seasons, so  I can see him wanting to ride into the sunset with Rivers at QB.

Ballard though...while I can see him being comfortable with Rivers another season...can’t see him being okay with just patching in a QB veteran every few years.

Besides the probability of Rivers returning there are numerous quality veteran QB's that may be available. 

Wentz, Stafford, Matt Ryan.

Then there's outside chance a college QB that cowboys like that falls to them and then Dak becomes available. 

And of course the fantasy scenario Aaron Rodgers is dealt if packers win Super Bowl.

All those QB's give the Colts a realistic chance at winning now while searching for a young franchise QB .

And if for some reason we can't acquire any of those QB's, we can try to bring back Brissett, Scott Tolzien,  or Curtis Painter!!! haha

51 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'd let this year play out first. 

It’s been a very successful season. It will be very rare to not make the playoffs. I don’t think making it or not should influence their decision.  Bringing him back also won’t stop them from drafting a first round QB if there is one the love.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s been a very successful season. It will be very rare to not make the playoffs. I don’t think making it or not should influence their decision.  Bringing him back also won’t stop them from drafting a first round QB if there is one the love.

That's kind of subjective and they haven't even played the SB yet! 

I'm not saying I know what will happen, or even that I have a real strong opinion yet. I'm just sayin' if the mantra is that the team is always trying to improve, they're going to have to think over guys like Stafford (at least), because while Rivers has been a solid upgrade from JP as I knew he'd be (JB really can't throw), he's got ceiling and if Ballard is doing his job, he's thinking in terms of winning big... at some point. You're right about drafting a QB high, but think about it from his perspective- you can be cynical or easy going about it, but by not drafting a QB high, he himself isn't on the clock yet. Drafting QB's high who bust is the quickest way to get canned as a GM.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

I'm not saying I know what will happen, or even that I have a real strong opinion yet. I'm just sayin' if the mantra is that the team is always trying to improve, they're going to have to think over guys like Stafford (at least), because while Rivers has been a solid upgrade from JP as I knew he'd be (JB really can't throw), he's got ceiling and if Ballard is doing his job, he's thinking in terms of winning big... at some point. You're right about drafting a QB high, but think about it from his perspective- you can be cynical or easy going about it, but by not drafting a QB high, he himself isn't on the clock yet. Drafting QB's high who bust is the quickest way to get canned as a GM.

Good post. I think Ballard realizes this, and it’s why he’s continually trying to make the overall roster better. I’m sure he’s got a plan for QB as well. 

38 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Besides the probability of Rivers returning there are numerous quality veteran QB's that may be available. 

Then there's outside chance a college QB that cowboys like that falls to them and then Dak becomes available. 

And of course the fantasy scenario Aaron Rodgers is dealt if packers win Super Bowl.

All those QB's give the Colts a realistic chance at winning now while searching for a young franchise QB .

And if for some reason we can't acquire any of those QB's, we can try to bring back Brissett, Scott Tolzien,  or Curtis Painter!!! haha

If Packers win SB there's no way Rodgers leaves 

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

No one is talking about taking just any QB high. I am talking about when Ballard finds the guy you have to go get him.  I don’t know why people always say this. When the QB they fall in love with is attainable go get him. 

On last Sunday's Fox pre-game show Jimmy Johnson went on about the Eagles giving Wentz to the Colts. He is the second personality to suggest it. With Wentz's contract the Eagles would have to give up a lot according to Johnson. I thought Wentz was the second coming of Andrew Luck when he came in to the league but that soon changed. I don't blame Rivers for the Colts stats rather they need to get a pass rush. So whatever the Colts choose to do at the QB position will be interesting to watch. 

40 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No one is talking about taking just any QB high. I am talking about when Ballard finds the guy you have to go get him.  I don’t know why people always say this. When the QB they fall in love with is attainable go get him. 

I think we're mixing things here a bit. I know what you mean, but just because the GM "falls in love" which is another way of saying he's found the guy- or however we want to call this, at the end of it all, they've got what they've got. Maybe it's Trubisky, maybe it's Watson, maybe it's Dwayne Haskins, someone who's supposed to know more than us (by a lot) had to think highly of him.. Ballard is like anyone else. He could get it right, but the odds are never that good of finding a prime QB in the draft. They just aren't. TL:DR- finding the guy at QB in the draft, easier said than done.

14 hours ago, Stoney said:

one thing you forgot to mention.. Jacoby played behind the best line in football when he was a starter. Darnold has played behind one of the worst lines in football every year as a starter. with almost no playmakers around him. no Jack Doyle, no Ty Hilton, no Marlon Mack... the thing with Jacoby is that hes such a boring QB. hes afraid to push the ball down the field with big shots. Tom Brady likes to play like that.. but its different when youre winning. if Brissett could win games like Brady his nickel and dime play style would be ok. 2942yds in 15 games is just pathetic with the type of line and talent he had surrounding him.

Golladay, yes. Stafford, no.

By no means am I advocating for Jacoby to be the starter.  I’m just not that high on Darnold.  Not enough to give up anything more than a 4th at the most and make it a “true” competition with Eason.  Darnold has had playmakers.  Robby Anderson and Bell.  Darnold has never had a qbr over 46 in his nfl career.  I just don’t see the value.  Give Eason a shot or go get a guy in the draft. 

“Keep paying Carson Wentz $32 million a year, which is what he was making, and have the [Indianapolis] Colts pay him a signing bonus of $20 million, so he is now made whole, and he keeps going on this contract.

“If I’m the Colts or the Patriots in that matter, I’m paying roughly $38 million a year, which is 32 million a year for three years plus the 20 million, which is high but still less than Deshaun Watson.”

That is probably the best Philly could hope for in this situation.

Tannenbaum said:

“If I’m Philadelphia, I have a very manageable dead money number of $13.8 million.

“I also have the potential of getting two second-round picks for a player that, let’s face it, needs a fresh start, and you still have Jalen Hurts.

“If I’m the Colts or the Patriots, I now have a young quarterback 27-years-old who has played well, and I’ve given up reasonable draft compensation, and I’m paying him a little bit more than I want. But now I have the player I need for the next three years under contract.”

6 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I would like to see Wentz taken out of the equation.  High risk I believe.  

Stafford or Ryan would be nice.  Dak would be good, but the money he is asking for would cripple the teams chances at signing the players who are coming up soon.  Leonard, Smith, Nelson, Adams, Glowinski and Hines will all be free agents after next season.

In 2021 these notable players are free agents:

Hilton

Houston

Autry

Rhodes

Carrie

Mack

Burton

Walker

Pascal

Cox

8 minutes ago, King Colt said:

“Keep paying Carson Wentz $32 million a year, which is what he was making, and have the [Indianapolis] Colts pay him a signing bonus of $20 million, so he is now made whole, and he keeps going on this contract.

“If I’m the Colts or the Patriots in that matter, I’m paying roughly $38 million a year, which is 32 million a year for three years plus the 20 million, which is high but still less than Deshaun Watson.”

That is probably the best Philly could hope for in this situation.

Tannenbaum said:

“If I’m Philadelphia, I have a very manageable dead money number of $13.8 million.

“I also have the potential of getting two second-round picks for a player that, let’s face it, needs a fresh start, and you still have Jalen Hurts.

“If I’m the Colts or the Patriots, I now have a young quarterback 27-years-old who has played well, and I’ve given up reasonable draft compensation, and I’m paying him a little bit more than I want. But now I have the player I need for the next three years under contract.”

He looks broken, he's way too injury prone and not worth the risk or the money.  I don't think even the QB whisperer Reich would want to risk his career with this guy.  Especially after he talks to Pederson.  A hard pass on Wentz.  

He's guaranteed a HC job in Alabama.  Perhaps it's best that he looks forward to that, with the declined in the velocity of his throws, and his mobility is not there anymore.  Time to go Philip, you tried and did the best you could, let the young guns come in and show what he can do...

1 hour ago, JMichael557 said:

If Rivers returns next year we have given up on trying to win the Super Bowl and we are simpley treading water. 

they are trying to win as many games as they can right now.  you cant expect them to either be in the super bowl or picking at the top of the draft every year.

16 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I don't think I've ever seen a qb have a meltdown like that

Yeah, I know he was playing with new receivers, but to me those passes looked more his fault than the receivers like the pick 6 early he just didn't see the CB who was ready to jump the route. I wasn't high on Trask, but now I consider him radioactive and the colts should stay away. I think he is a trap the same way Mac Jones is a trap, he's doing good because of the players around him.

16 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I think he is a trap and that Smith, Waddle, and Harris are making him look better than he is. He reminds me of Danny Kanell

19 hours ago, aaron11 said:

they are trying to win as many games as they can right now.  you cant expect them to either be in the super bowl or picking at the top of the draft every year.

your comment does not make any sense. I expect the colts to either put the best team on the field that they believe will lead them to the Superbowl.  We are not playing just to go 8-8. So they should have one of two types of team. One they think can win the superbowl or one that they are in the process of building to win a Superbowl. If it is the latter then the record is irrelevant the development of players is the priority. Playing a 40 year old QB only fits if you think it will cause you to win that year. Otherwise play the future to see how they develop. We cannot win the SB with Rivers. Will not happen and playing him next year does nothing for are future attempts to win SB. I would rather play a young QB and go 6-10 then play Rivers and go 10-6. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/01/philip-rivers-i-think-im-really-going-to-want-to-play-again/

"Without speaking out of turn, it didn’t make a huge difference to me if it was a two-year deal or a one-year thing,” Rivers said, via Zak Keefer of TheAthletic.com. “I think that was just what was best for both sides. If I came in here and stunk it up, I was gonna be done anyway. It’d be like, ‘Man, this is brutal, let me just go coach.’ But if it went well, and we got in the playoffs and made a run, let’s do it again.”

The Colts need to win and then get some help to make the postseason. But Rivers says his mindset hasn’t changed.

“I don’t want to speak in absolutes because there is still dust to be settled, whenever this season ends, and I’ll talk about it with my family, and the Colts have their side, but I still feel the same way,” Rivers said. “I hope there is a Year 2 [in Indianapolis]. I think I’m really gonna want to play again.”

1 hour ago, JMichael557 said:

your comment does not make any sense

my comment makes perfect sense.  you are the one who doesnt get the picture.

you think its win the super bowl or tank, they are not going to do that.  they want to win games now and they have done that with phil.  there were not any good young QBs available that would have been better this year 

hes probably going to be back next year

28 minutes ago, w87r said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/01/philip-rivers-i-think-im-really-going-to-want-to-play-again/

"Without speaking out of turn, it didn’t make a huge difference to me if it was a two-year deal or a one-year thing,” Rivers said, via Zak Keefer of TheAthletic.com. “I think that was just what was best for both sides. If I came in here and stunk it up, I was gonna be done anyway. It’d be like, ‘Man, this is brutal, let me just go coach.’ But if it went well, and we got in the playoffs and made a run, let’s do it again.”

The Colts need to win and then get some help to make the postseason. But Rivers says his mindset hasn’t changed.

“I don’t want to speak in absolutes because there is still dust to be settled, whenever this season ends, and I’ll talk about it with my family, and the Colts have their side, but I still feel the same way,” Rivers said. “I hope there is a Year 2 [in Indianapolis]. I think I’m really gonna want to play again.”

You almost have to commend a guy for giving a straight and thorough answer these days. 

31 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah I mean if we go 11-5 why not. Ballard can even make this team better with another draft and Free Agency. Next year might be the year we really dominate with Rivers.

20 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I think he is a trap and that Smith, Waddle, and Harris are making him look better than he is. He reminds me of Danny Kanell

Bama always has good WRs but I still like Jones. He has one of the best deep balls IMO and currently is tops in completion %.

I strongly believe he will be one of the best players from this class. 

Archived