Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Is everyone just going to forget how often Stafford is injured too. Let’s find our own young guy. All these young QB in the afc now. A guy like Stafford will not cut it. Rivers should be the guy until we find the future.

I hope when Ballard does his end of the season presser he goes into detail on what he feels he has seen from Eason so far.

No need to wait on Ballard's presser.  Here's what he will say.  Eason is everything we thought he was.  He has all of the physical tools we saw when he drafted him.  It's unfortunate we were unable to see him in real game action.  But I will tell you he is working hard every day.  He is one of the 1st players here in the morning and one of the last to leave, He has spent numerous hours with Phillp and Jacoby trying to absorb as much knowledge as he can from those two.  Look it was a tough season. It's a shame he wasn't able to play.  I have no doubt he will continue to work hard in the off season.  We think he has a future in this league.  We're glad we have him.  There you have it.  I think that's we are all expecting.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

No need to wait on Ballard's presser.  Here's what he will say.  Eason is everything we thought he was.  He has all of the physical tools we saw when he drafted him.  It's unfortunate we were unable to see him in real game action.  But I will tell you he is working hard every day.  He is one of the 1st players here in the morning and one of the last to leave, He has spent numerous hours with Phillp and Jacoby trying to absorb as much knowledge as he can from those two.  Look it was a tough season. It's a shame he wasn't able to play.  I have no doubt he will continue to work hard in the off season.  We think he has a future in this league.  We're glad we have him.  There you have it.  I think that's we are all expecting.

Your probably right. Still will be interesting to hear him talk about him. Maybe he hyped him up because there is someone in the draft and want teams to think we wont draft a QB. Ballard is usually a straight shooter though.

With no offseason or preseason in 2020, I would be surprised if they turn it over to Eason in 2021.  At this point, Ballard and Reich haven't accomplished enough, aren't secure enough in their jobs to ride out a 5-11 season with Eason.

Until the collapse on Sunday, I thought Rivers returning was a slam dunk.   Hard to say now.  

You might have to take a shot on Wentz.  There's some Luck in him.  Hopefully Frank could get a 90% version of 2018 Luck out of him.

35 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I seriously hope not

note this article is a few minutes old.. I hadn't seen it before I made that last post.

It just sorta hit me that this isn't as off the wall as maybe one might think.

NFL Execs Predict the Colts to Acquire Either QB Matthew Stafford or Carson Wentz in 2021 - Stampede Blue   (I have no clue if that will hyper link.. google it if not)

15 minutes ago, The Fish said:

note this article is a few minutes old.. I hadn't seen it before I made that last post.

It just sorta hit me that this isn't as off the wall as maybe one might think.

NFL Execs Predict the Colts to Acquire Either QB Matthew Stafford or Carson Wentz in 2021 - Stampede Blue   (I have no clue if that will hyper link.. google it if not)

Only veteran worth trade 1 for is Rodgers imo but i could tolerate Stafford 

8 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Only veteran worth trade 1 for is Rodgers imo but i could tolerate Stafford 

With a legit 1# WR and what's here, I think this team could compete for a SB with a healthy, motivated Stafford. It's never been him that's the issue in Detroit. 

On 12/8/2020 at 2:02 PM, Smoke317 said:

People on this board trash Jacoby.  But here everyone is willing to give Darnold a chance.  Why?  Darnold has only completed ydyds over 60% of his passes once in 3 years.  And that was a whopping 62%.  His numbers match up very similarly to Jacoby's the two years Jacoby started lots of games for us.  In fact Jacoby had a better rating and fewer turnovers.  So what's with this love affair with Darnold? 

And please don't compare him to Tannehill.  Tannehill had a couple 4k yard seasons in Miami and was only under 60% his rookie year.  So again what's so special about Darnold???  Because he was drafted high?  We just used a 4th round pick on Eason who has a better pedigree than Darnold.  And you guys want us to give up another draft pick to acquire Darnold without even giving Eason a chance to play.  Again, Why? 

Would you guys be willing to give up a draft pick for RG3 or Blake Bortles?  They were drafted high too.  Even took teams to the playoffs.  Would you guys be willing to give up a draft pick for Jacoby?  His numbers compare very closely to Darnold's.  I can understand Stafford or Carr.  They've proven they can play the position at a winning level.  Darnold has struggled to even be mediocre.  I'll take him for free and give him a chance to compete but I wouldn't give up anything over a 5th. 

I changed my mind on giving up a 4th for him because we have a 4th round QB on the roster in Eason who deserves a chance over Darnold getting another chance to prove his mediocrity,  And we've seen that Ballard can find contributors with his picks.  So I'd rather draft a guy to compete with Eason.  Next years draft has a lot of potential in it.

one thing you forgot to mention.. Jacoby played behind the best line in football when he was a starter. Darnold has played behind one of the worst lines in football every year as a starter. with almost no playmakers around him. no Jack Doyle, no Ty Hilton, no Marlon Mack... the thing with Jacoby is that hes such a boring QB. hes afraid to push the ball down the field with big shots. Tom Brady likes to play like that.. but its different when youre winning. if Brissett could win games like Brady his nickel and dime play style would be ok. 2942yds in 15 games is just pathetic with the type of line and talent he had surrounding him.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Isn’t Golladay a FA? I saw someone say we should get Stafford and Golladay. 

Golladay, yes. Stafford, no.

47 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s just nfl execs opinions that’s it. I am tired I want a young QB to grow and be entertaining. No to a broken guy we hope they can fix.  It’s time to identify a QB in the draft and go for I If they don’t think Eason is the guy.  

Trey Lance or Zach Wilson :shake:

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I don't like either of these but this is what they would like 

EoqPgzKWEAU12fH.jpeg.jpg

EoqPgzIW8AQsCIf.jpeg.jpg

EoqPgzHXcAQo-_n.jpeg.jpg

i could get down with Dak. not sure why you wouldnt like him. i would rather draft our own 1st RD QB Prospect.. but if we have to get somebody thats already in the league Rodgers or Dak would be my top 2 realistic options.

On 12/27/2020 at 12:01 AM, w87r said:

Not gonna set here and argue with you about it, because frankly I have better things to do. Well, anything is better than having a discussion with you to be honest.

All I know is Brissett has been an ideal team mate when he essentially lost his job to Rivers. Supports his t mates and is a true leader despite the fact he lost his job

Jalen Hurts has faired fine in action, but lets ignore that. Beating the Saints and going to wire last week.

Wentz complained and said he wants to be traded if he can't play, instead of supporting his teammates. So yes he is a pouting little brat that I hope gets no where this organization. Living up to his entitlement rumors that have been leaking out.

See you tomorrow if things are going bad for a little bit, if things are going well, Im sure you will pull your disappearing act like usual. Then find something to complain about afterwards.

:hat:

hes getting paid $15M to be a cheerleader on the sideline. of course hes gonna continue being a good teammate and not cause problems lollll who would be mad about getting a free $15M ?? hes not gonna make that kind of money in 1 season on any other team. we just set him up for life with $30M in 2 years. more money than he would probably make in his entire career on any other team. so him being a good sport about it isnt exactly ground breaking.

10 minutes ago, Stoney said:

i could get down with Dak. not sure why you wouldnt like him. i would rather draft our own 1st RD QB Prospect.. but if we have to get somebody thats already in the league Rodgers or Dak would be my top 2 realistic options.

Dak wants 40+ and he's not gonna get it here nor is he even worth it. 

I would love a rookie like Jones or Lance 

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

hes getting paid $15M to be a cheerleader on the sideline. of course hes gonna continue being a good teammate and not cause problems lollll who would be mad about getting a free $15M ?? hes not gonna make that kind of money in 1 season on any other team. we just set him up for life with $30M in 2 years. more money than he would probably make in his entire career on any other team. so him being a good sport about it isnt exactly ground breaking.

Wentz is getting paid $30m to be a cheerleader on the sideline, right?

Bottom line, all reports have been coming out about Wentz sense of entitlement, and his requesting a trade if not the starter just backs that up.

He played like trash, yes the team has issues(weapons, OL), Hurts has played pretty well with the group. 

Wentz decision making is bad, he has all the tools. Just doesn't seem to be a good teammate.

Back to JB, he could of just as easy made an issue and demanded a trade, he would've got paid either way$12+m guaranteed). The guy is up for walter payton man of the year award for Colts. He is the Epitomy of a great teammate. Everything coming out about Wentz and his actions suggest he is far from it.

On 12/20/2020 at 4:03 PM, Dogg63 said:

I'll enjoy watching PR as our QB next season. Looking forward to it!

yasssss a nice & old immobile, limited QB that cant run for a 1st down to keep a drive alive if the game is on the line and no WRs open. needs a spotless pocket, has an amazing superbowl caliber defense and might not even make the playoffs with them. no biggie.. another year with Rivers is just another good, but not superbowl caliber season, and another year of age added on to Nelson, Leonard, Kelly, Kenny, Buckner, and any other core player we have in his mid 20s.  need to be finding a young QB ASAP to grow and build insane chemistry with Pittman & Taylor, & Kelly. just like Peyton did with Marvin, Edge, & Saturday. we need to be finding our young QB so he can get his rookie mistakes out of the way while the team is still young. waiting 2 years from now means that Qb wouldnt be ready to win until about 3 or 4yrs from now. by then QN & DL are 30.

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

yasssss a nice & old immobile, limited QB that cant run for a 1st down to keep a drive alive if the game is on the line and no WRs open. needs a spotless pocket, has an amazing superbowl caliber defense and might not even make the playoffs with them. no biggie.. another year with Rivers is just another good, but not superbowl caliber season, and another year of age added on to Nelson, Leonard, Kelly, Kenny, Buckner, and any other core player we have in his mid 20s.  need to be finding a young QB ASAP to grow and build insane chemistry with Pittman & Taylor, & Kelly. just like Peyton did with Marvin, Edge, & Saturday. we need to be finding our young QB so he can get his rookie mistakes out of the way while the team is still young. waiting 2 years from now means that Qb wouldnt be ready to win until about 3 or 4yrs from now. by then QN & DL are 30.

Rivers in 21

Lance or Jones in 22

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Wentz is getting paid $30m to be a cheerleader on the sideline, right?

Bottom line, all reports have been coming out about Wentz sense of entitlement, and his requesting a trade if not the starter just backs that up.

He played like trash, yes the team has issues(weapons, OL), Hurts has played pretty well with the group. 

Wentz decision making is bad, he has all the tools. Just doesn't seem to be a good teammate.

Back to JB, he could of just as easy made an issue and demanded a trade, he would've got paid either way$12+m guaranteed). The guy is up for walter payton man of the year award for Colts. He is the Epitomy of a great teammate. Everything coming out about Wentz and his actions suggest he is far from it.

no, incorrect. Wentz was getting paid $30M to be a starter. he got stripped of it mid season and benched for a rookie. Wentz is big enough of a name to get another nice contract somewhere else. Brissett isnt.

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Rivers in 21

Lance or Jones in 22

im cool with Rivers if we take the Packers approach and draft one of the 1st Rd Qb Prospects to sit for a year and let him get his bumps & bruises out of the way in practice while still getting chemistry and having the game slow down for him. im not cool with Rivers for next year if we dont plan on drafting a Qb until 2022 then as a result.

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I don't like either of these but this is what they would like 

EoqPgzKWEAU12fH.jpeg.jpg

EoqPgzIW8AQsCIf.jpeg.jpg

EoqPgzHXcAQo-_n.jpeg.jpg

If that is my choice, I will take Wentz.  I trust Reich a lot when it comes to qbs. I think he squeezed what he could out of Brissett and Rivers.  I would like someone young who will b here for a bit. Wentz fits the bill.

14 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I agreed with u up ti when u said amazing superboel defence. Go back and watch thr defense this year against plsy off teams. Not pretty

41 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Stafford and Dak pile up the stats with late game score. 

12 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If that is my choice, I will take Wentz.  I trust Reich a lot when it comes to qbs. I think he squeezed what he could out of Brissett and Rivers.  I would like someone young who will b here for a bit. Wentz fits the bill.

Colts have to at some point draft a QB high and transition to the future.  There's a couple in this class I like.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Stafford and Dak pile up the stats with late game score. 

Dak is near the bottom of my list

1 hour ago, #12. said:

With no offseason or preseason in 2020, I would be surprised if they turn it over to Eason in 2021.  At this point, Ballard and Reich haven't accomplished enough, aren't secure enough in their jobs to ride out a 5-11 season with Eason.

Until the collapse on Sunday, I thought Rivers returning was a slam dunk.   Hard to say now.  

You might have to take a shot on Wentz.  There's some Luck in him.  Hopefully Frank could get a 90% version of 2018 Luck out of him.

That's why I don't see a rookie or super young QB being brought here anytime soon. This is a yearly league and the same ones here pushing to get a young guy will be the same ones with the pitchforks looking for Frank and Chris' head after 2/3 years of 4-12/6-10 claiming they should've went with an old retread instead.

You gotta win yearly or you're gone pretty quick. 

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Colts have to at some point draft a QB high and transition to the future.  There's a couple in this class I like.

Dak is near the bottom of my list

Not really. Lets say they could trade for Wentz with minimal draft capital and get him to rework his contract? Or would u rather trade up from say 18 to the say the top 10? That is going to cost u and u dont know what u r getting.  Wentz is 28 years old. 

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Not really. Lets say they could trade for Wentz with minimal draft capital and get him to rework his contract? Or would u rather trade up from say 18 to the say the top 10? That is going to cost u and u dont know what u r getting.  Wentz is 28 years old. 

I never said anything about trading up. Colts could actually trade down to accumulate more picks and draft Mac Jones or possibly even Trey Lance who I believe needs to sit a year. 

27 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Realistic is the key word in your reply.  Neither one are.  They just aren't.  Rogers is probably the MVP and could win a SB this year.  And they are going to trade him?  Dak is staying where he is. He's young, has a couple of pro bowls already and Jerry loves him. He's their guy. The sports writers love to talk up the Reich connection with Wentz. The savior for Wentz.   It's a lay up article for them.  But out of all the choices he's the riskiest.  And Ballard and Reich aren't being paid to try and hopefully resurrect a broken QB. They are being paid to try and win a SB now with a very strong roster.  Not two or three years from now.  The future is now.  Why take the risk with Wentz when you can get a low risk veteran QB like Stafford who has high upside.  Very similar to Rivers but seven years younger.  We could win two or three SB's with Stafford.  Our window is right now.  The last thing we need is a rookie or young QB trying to run the team.  That's an option that makes zero sense. The Lions are going into rebuild mode and we are going to help them get started by taking Stafford off their hands. It's the perfect storm.  If you thought we had a good year with Rivers this year just wait until next year with Stafford behind center.  It all makes sense.  A win win as Ballard would say.  

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Realistic is the key word in your reply.  Neither one are.  They just aren't.  Rogers is probably the MVP and could win a SB this year.  And they are going to trade him?  Dak is staying where he is. He's young, has a couple of pro bowls already and Jerry loves him. He's their guy. The sports writers love to talk up the Reich connection with Wentz. The savior for Wentz.   It's a lay up article for them.  But out of all the choices he's the riskiest.  And Ballard and Reich aren't being paid to try and hopefully resurrect a broken QB. They are being paid to try and win a SB now with a very strong roster.  Not two or three years from now.  The future is now.  Why take the risk with Wentz when you can get a low risk veteran QB like Stafford who has high upside.  Very similar to Rivers but seven years younger.  We could win two or three SB's with Stafford.  Our window is right now.  The last thing we need is a rookie or young QB trying to run the team.  That's an option that makes zero sense. The Lions are going into rebuild mode and we are going to help them get started by taking Stafford off their hands. It's the perfect storm.  If you thought we had a good year with Rivers this year just wait until next year with Stafford behind center.  It all makes sense.  A win win as Ballard would say.  

I think Ballard could find a suitable QB in the draft that could ultimately be just effective as some of the other veterans others mentioned. 

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree 100%. Can't throw a young raw guy in there with this roster. Guys like Q, Buck, Leonard aren't going to be young forever. 

I honestly don't mind the top retread every year or two because at least you stay relevant in the playoff/championship race every year.

Can't go 'all in' on a first rd rookie 'just because.' That's how you end up with a Ponder/Quinn type like the Browns/Bills/Jags did for the past decade. Totally different if it's an Andrew Luck, but those are rare.

Ballard is past the honeymoon phase where he can have a few losing seasons with the promising rookie. The next rookie/raw QB starting will probably be when a new GM eventually gets here.

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I am hoping Packers go one and done and decide to move on from Rodgers 

He'd thrive here being indoors as he's getting older, solid front office/coach.

I think Indy is going to be an attractive potential landing spot because of that to QB's available.

If we draft a rookie in the first I would much prefer they sit behind rivers for a year. Do what they did with Mahomes. This isn’t a roster that is rebuilding so it’s really not fair to just throw a rookie out there. Maybe Eason is more ready then we think but I need to see him in preseason before coming to any  kind of conclusion. Colts feel that way too I bet.

1 minute ago, IinD said:

He'd thrive here being indoors as he's getting older, solid front office/coach.

I think Indy is going to be an attractive potential landing spot because of that to QB's available.

If Ballard fixes the OT position and depth any QB would love to come here

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

If we draft a rookie in the first I would much prefer they sit behind rivers for a year. Do what they did with Mahomes. This isn’t a roster that is rebuilding so it’s really not fair to just throw a rookie out there. Maybe Eason is more ready then we think but I need to see him in preseason before coming to any  kind of conclusion. Colts feel that way too I bet.

Jones or Lance are at the top of my list even above any veteran 

Just now, danlhart87 said:

He's going top 10 way out of range 

Who knows. Everyone thought Love was going higher  also. Lawrence and Fields will probably go top two. But like I said there are lots of teams who don’t need QB picking high. So if someone is there go get them. Especially  if we miss the playoffs and pick at 18. 

Archived