Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I mean if we go 11-5 why not. Ballard can even make this team better with another draft and Free Agency. Next year might be the year we really dominate with Rivers.

How much the team can improve outside of Rivers will determine what kind of contract he will be looking for. $25m will limit out resources.

Hopefully he is willing to take $18-$20m.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Bama always has good WRs but I still like Jones. He has one of the best deep balls IMO and currently is tops in completion %.

I strongly believe he will be one of the best players from this class. 

I like Jones also. I think outside of Lawrence, he might be the next best guy.

Cant judge a qb by what school they went to or the weapons around them. That is only part of the equation.

I dont hear anyone knocking Burrow and look at the qb history at LSU(I know he transferred) and the weapons he had there.

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I like Jones also. I think outside of Lawrence, he might be the next best guy.

Cant judge a qb by what school they went to or the weapons around them. That is only part of the equation.

I dont hear anyone knocking Burrow and look at the qb history at LSU(I know he transferred) and the weapons he had there.

I have cooled off on Trask. Liked him but he seems to struggle at times against good competition. I also like Lance but only if the Colts bring Rivers back a year.

Jones I would be fine with being day 1 starter

11 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I have cooled off on Trask. Liked him but he seems to struggle at times against good competition. I also like Lance but only if the Colts bring Rivers back a year.

Jones I would be fine with being day 1 starter

I was never on the Trask wagon, and I am even further off that trail with his 3 first quarter Ints against Oklahoma.

47 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I mean if we go 11-5 why not. Ballard can even make this team better with another draft and Free Agency. Next year might be the year we really dominate with Rivers.

True but it could also be the year he goes South.  I think there is more potential for him regressing than improving.  Fortunately we have Ballard running the show and not Reich.  If it was up to Reich he would stand a better chance of returning.  Reich loves his players and is very loyal with Vinaterri being case in point.  I have memories of Unitas and Title hanging on too long. Not pretty. Many of us are anticipating some other veteran QB's becoming available this off season.  Possibly some real good ones too.  So I'm hoping we make the playoffs and make a strong run.  Who knows maybe win it.  But next year I'm sure Ballard will evaluate all of his options and make his move.  I just don't think it's a given he comes back even if he wants to.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

True but it could also be the year he goes South.  I think there is more potential for him regressing than improving.  Fortunately we have Ballard running the show and not Reich.  If it was up to Reich he would stand a better chance of returning.  Reich loves his players and is very loyal with Vinaterri being case in point.  I have memories of Unitas and Title hanging on too long. Not pretty. Many of us are anticipating some other veteran QB's becoming available this off season.  Possibly some real good ones too.  So I'm hoping we make the playoffs and make a strong run.  Who knows maybe win it.  But next year I'm sure Ballard will evaluate all of his options and make his move.  I just don't think it's a given he comes back even if he wants to.  

I hear you and we pretty much have been on the same page in talking about our QB situation.

I do think Rivers holds the potential of our offense back with his limited mobility.

However, I think it's hard to assume we will move on(I know you're not) from him if he wants to return. He has been very good this year, in a year with limited offseason action and  I feel he will be even better next year.

But I agree, its not a given and everything will be evaluated at end of season.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Bama always has good WRs but I still like Jones. He has one of the best deep balls IMO and currently is tops in completion %.

I strongly believe he will be one of the best players from this class. 

True but this year they're particularly ridiculously good, I mean Smith is the favorite by sports betting to win the Heisman. The last time a WR did that was in 1991, and waddle is no slouch himself, I expect both to go in the top 15 of the draft. They're just carrying Mac along 

17 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

True but this year they're particularly ridiculously good, I mean Smith is the favorite by sports betting to win the Heisman. The last time a WR did that was in 1991, and waddle is no slouch himself, I expect both to go in the top 15 of the draft. They're just carrying Mac along 

I prefer Waddle myself. Kind of hope his rehab, etc. lingers far enough into Spring

that he's not back to full go by April and causes him to drift down into the 20 range.   

But that's likely a pipe dream. And I highly doubt Ballard would take him (or really

any WR) there anyway. 

anyway 

I truly believe Ballard needs to get qb of the future and fast. Take a look at the AFC south next year. Jags will most likely have Lawrence and could have a Luck kind of an affect on the team. They wont be slouches. Colts have problems beating them with Minshew. I expect the Texans will bounce back and Titans are a good team. I think next year is a huge year for the Ballard/Reich regime. If we come back with same team and qb, I dont see them making the playoffs again. 

44 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I truly believe Ballard needs to get qb of the future and fast. Take a look at the AFC south next year. Jags will most likely have Lawrence and could have a Luck kind of an affect on the team. They wont be slouches. Colts have problems beating them with Minshew. I expect the Texans will bounce back and Titans are a good team. I think next year is a huge year for the Ballard/Reich regime. If we come back with same team and qb, I dont see them making the playoffs again. 

Hoping for Jones 

His stock is rising fast 

8 for 9 97 2 td so far against irish

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I don't usually like singling out players that way. I think he's got potential. I've spoken out against Fields but its not because he played for Ohio State.

He is basically playing with a minor NFL team roster. I was never high on Tua for the same reason. They are use to playing with the beat college players. Now Tua is playing with me mediocore offensive players and he is not doing much. Dont be surprised if with the 5th pick in the draft the Phins go qb

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

He is basically playing with a minor NFL team roster. I was never high on Tua for the same reason. They are use to playing with the beat college players. Now Tua is playing with me mediocore offensive players and he is not doing much. Dont be surprised if with the 5th pick in the draft the Phins go qb

If it makes Tua expendable I would take him. The kid just needs to build up confidence. He needs to start throwing longer passes. 

6 hours ago, Air2theThrown said:

Isn’t Missouri state university abbreviation MO?

MSU is Michigan State. 

Depends, if you are from the school or not. Always said MSU at school, but does get abbreviated MOState

And MSU is most well known is Michigan St. but so many states begin with M, MIssissippi, Montana also go by MSU

I just learned something this morning that I think could be said for Eason.  Our paper this morning did a review on the Bills rookie class and what the said about Jake Fromm was interesting.  He has been their designated COVID-19 emergency QB all year.  I think that's where Eason falls with us.  What it means is since the end of training camp he has not taken part in practice with the rest of his teammates.  He's in on all socially distanced meetings, but his on-field work is limited to throwing sessions after practice as the Bills have tried to make sure if the virus ever swept through the QB position, they'd have someone they could play.  The team will likely give him a look as Allen's backup next year assuming it doesn't re-sign Matt Barkley.  If we are handling Eason the same way he really hasn't seen even practice action with the team all year.  Just throwing the ball and trying to learn the playbook.  I was surprised to learn that was it for Fromm.  Maybe Eason too. 

8 minutes ago, CamMo said:

A few tweets out today stating Carson Wentz is wanting to facilitate his own trade from the Eagles, and that Colts is his preferred landing spot. 

I've been pretty adamant about not wanting Wentz, but if it happens I will throw support behind him......pause.

13 minutes ago, CamMo said:

A few tweets out today stating Carson Wentz is wanting to facilitate his own trade from the Eagles, and that Colts is his preferred landing spot. 

If Wentz restructures his contract to a 3 year/50 million deal or something rather than his current contract, i think Colts pull the trigger.

Wentz has stated he doesn't want to be a back up, and he would be next year. I guess we will see how much starting vs. money is to him. 

14 minutes ago, w87r said:

I've been pretty adamant about not wanting Wentz, but if it happens I will throw support behind him......pause.

I would too because I'm a Colts fan but I still think he is too much of a risk.  Reich has to talk to Pederson to see what went wrong because Pederson and his staff obviously lost confidence in him.  I would much rather have Rivers come back if it came to that and trade for Darnold to be our backup that is if we couldn't get Stafford.  

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

https://dailysnark.com/2021/01/03/breaking-patriots-and-cam-newton-to-part-ways-after-season/

Wonder if this effects who Pats take in draft...

I think they will get Jimmy G or Jacoby 

Report I just saw SF plans on moving on from Jimmy G. Expect them to draft a QB. 

8 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

https://247sports.com/Article/Drew-Brees-New-Orleans-Saints-quarterback-plans-to-retire-after-2020-NFL-season-158428070/

Saints are gonna be most likely wanting to draft Brees replacement.

If I am Ballard I would trade back and try to get them 22' 1st

Depends on what the QB class looks like in 22.

I’ve been reading about the Lions lately; seems pretty likely to me they’re going to blow everything up and draft someone like Fields and look to trade Stafford. If that were to happen, what would you guys give for him? Personally I think I might give a first rounder and more, as I don’t see us snagging a franchise QB with our first rounder this year

Archived