Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

Since we have a thread for the pass-rushers, I decided to start one for the QBs that are eligible for the 2021 draft. 

There are some QBs that have opted out and we won't be able to see them until the pre-draft process - all star games, combine, etc. Here are some of those that might be interesting for the Colts:

- Jamie Newman, Wake Forest transfer to Georgia - opted out

And here are some QBs that are on teams that as it stands now will not play games this fall or will play very limited number of games:

- Justin Fields, Ohio State - all Ohio State games are postponed as of now

- Trey Lance, North Dakota State - he has not opted out, but NDS might not play many games this year... all but one of their games are now officially postponed/canceled

- Tanner Morgan, Minnesota  - all Minnesota games postponed as of now

From the players that are playing this year, some had their first games yesterday. 

- Trevor Lawrence, Clemson had a very good game and made some NFL type throws and hinted at why he's dubbed the next no. 1 pick in the 2021 draft

- Sam Ehlenger, Texas has not been a favorite of mine because I think he has some limitations, but he had a pretty good game yesterday with 5 TDs, but again - it was a mismatch against UTEP.

- Brock Purdy, Iowa State - I was disappointed by what I saw from him. He didn't look like a first round QB that some are hyping him to be, had some bad deep throws(his ball kinda dies a bit in the air when thrown long), some questionable pocket presence(left pocket when there was no pressure)...

Some players to watch for the future: 

-Sam Howell, North Carolina - shaky performance with 2 INTs, but you can see the talent... he might be real good when he's draft eligible

-Spencer Rattler, Oklahoma - Lincoln Riley might have found another QB to vault into the early rounds of the NFL draft - Rattler is a redshirt freshman and he looked very good against overmatched Missouri state. 

Those are my short week 1-2 notes... What made an impression on you guys and who are your favorites for the Colts if we decide to go with a QB in the draft? 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, stitches said:

-Spencer Rattler, Oklahoma - Lincoln Riley might have found another QB to vault into the early rounds of the NFL draft - Rattler is a redshirt freshman and he looked very good against overmatched Missouri state. 

Wait until he plays a real team, before you say anything. MSU has suucckkked for the last 30 years (last time made FCS). We also just got Bobby Petrino as Head Coach after having a absolute garbage coach for the last 7 years. They won 1 game against WIU in triple OT last year in a mud bowl. Rattler pretty much was just playing against a scout team. Gotta wait till Big 12 games or better FCS teams before you can tell if he is even decent. 

MSU only did this game since it was a 600,000 pay

On 9/16/2020 at 12:43 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Good news for Justin Fields. I think he desperately needed this season since he was only a 1 year starter. So was Burrow but I think Fields needs more polish before teams really commit to him as a top 5 pick.

Burrow started 2 years at LSU. first one was forgettable 

Keep an eye out on Myles Brennan of LSU, following Burrow and with most all of the National Championship team gone many expect this kid and the club to fall on their face......I think many are going to be shocked. The team was so loaded that their backups could start for most any other squads, their incoming freshman class was through the roof (Their Frosh TE Aric Gilbert may become a superstar right out of the gate).  WR's are big targets in Racey McMath 6'3 and Terrace Marshall 6'3

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

@stitches  As you saw with the game fir Rattler today, its why I said to wait until he faced a real team. MSU has had issues for years on D and with no staff it was even less likely they'd be together and knowing

I didn't watch, what happened? In any case, one questionable game in his 3d game as a freshman at 19 is not really what will make me change my view on him. It's more about traits and talent. It's only normal for him to have some inconsistencies this early in his college career. 

5 hours ago, stitches said:

I didn't watch, what happened? In any case, one questionable game in his 3d game as a freshman at 19 is not really what will make me change my view on him. It's more about traits and talent. It's only normal for him to have some inconsistencies this early in his college career. 

That's right. College players are drafted for potential. Not that they are ready for the NFL. 

Just watched Costello vs LSU. I don't see it with him. He's a good college QB and he had tons of stats yesterday(and will continue to have tons of yards in this offense) but he doesn't look like an NFL QB to me. Way too many mistakes, bad ball security, underthrown balls.

Watching Desmond Ridder(Cincinnatti) vs Army now... will be updating my post as I watch here:

-Has good size and mobility... quick pass game so far, plays exclusively from shotgun.  2 passes batted down at the LOS in his first drive... a bit weird. Worth following up on that... 

-eww, ugly miss on a pass to a wide open receiver. Questionable accuracy downfield? 

-another pass thrown behind the receiver, this time he gets punished and his pass is intercepted. Two very ugly throws. 

-another inaccurate throw downfield. I'm about to stop the updates here. He was hyped a bit by some of the PFF analysts... he doesn't look good here so far. 

-OK. I'm done here... won't be making more updates on Ridder... will just give my final impressions at the end of the game. 

Summary on Desmond Ridder from this one game:

-lean, lanky build, good mobility

-has good enough arm strengths - good zip on the ball

-he's solid in the quick short game...

-gets a lot of passes batted at the LoS

-poor accuracy in the intermediate-long range. 

-has some ability to extend plays, but doesn't seem to have great pocket awareness, late to escape collapsing pocket, runs into pressure sometimes.

From this one game, I'm not really compelled to watch more of him. I don't see it with him. Some intriguing physical traits but nothing special really. 

On 9/26/2020 at 4:28 PM, stitches said:

It was more, a dont let game one fool you of anything, MSU has had issues for years in passing Def and tackling. So unless he came out and through many INT nothing could come from. Was more what I was saying, and then against KSU he had trouble closing the game, and threw more INT

On 10/3/2020 at 5:26 PM, Colt Overseas said:

Ed Dobbs is watching Trey Lance tonight.

Is Trey Lance to new Jordan Love for this forum? :D 

Lance is a pipe dream at this point. There’s discussions on whether he’s QB1 over Lawrence by analysts. Unless the wheels completely fall off the bus with the Colts, there’s no way he’s in range. It’s just Dodds doing his job. Like Ballard said, they scout QBs every year. 

Lance is the future 1st round bust IMO. Good college QB for his level, noting really stands out. Look for Gator QB Kyle Trask to get into the 1st round discussion as well. With 4-5 every year coming out it's a wonder why teams fold after 2 years on their 1st round pick QB's..

9 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Lance is the future 1st round bust IMO. Good college QB for his level, noting really stands out. Look for Gator QB Kyle Trask to get into the 1st round discussion as well. With 4-5 every year coming out it's a wonder why teams fold after 2 years on their 1st round pick QB's..

Lance is the 2nd best QB in college football only behind Lawrence. I would take him over Fields. What are you watching?

Watched Oklahoma vs Iowa state and Purdy looked better in this game than in the first game I watched of him this season. I would still say he has some limitations and I don't like him as a 1st round pick. His TE Charlie Kolar on the other hand looks like a good TE prospect. I want to watch more of him but he's big and strong and has some movement ability. 

Spencer Rattler looked very wild and erratic in that game too. He needs some work, but there are intriguing traits to develop. 

There seems to be some murmurs bubbling up around BYU QB Zach Wilson. He might be this year's first rounder that nobody saw before the year started. He looks interesting and unlike most BYU players, he's actually young(just turned 21) and haven't gone on a LDS mission): 

He's having hell of a season. The bad thing is... BYU doesn't really have any heavyweights in its schedule. The good thing for Wilson is... BYU doesn't have any heavyweights in its schedule. It's very likely he will look very good for the rest of the year and teams will have to figure out what they think of him based on last year's film and this year's cup cake schedule. 

I'm watching him against UTSA right now and he just threw a side arm TD. 

39 minutes ago, stitches said:

There seems to be some murmurs bubbling up around BYU QB Zach Wilson. He might be this year's first rounder that nobody saw before the year started. He looks interesting and unlike most BYU players, he's actually young(just turned 21) and haven't gone on a LDS mission): 

He's having hell of a season. The bad thing is... BYU doesn't really have any heavyweights in its schedule. The good thing for Wilson is... BYU doesn't have any heavyweights in its schedule. It's very likely he will look very good for the rest of the year and teams will have to figure out what they think of him based on last year's film and this year's cup cake schedule. 

I was looking at him yesterday and had him as a late 1st rounder. We could definitely get him if we wanted. Very intruiging prospect to me. He'll be the Jordan Love of the forum next year come draft time, although I believe he is much better. 

I just watched Zach Wilson's 4 games this year. He's very much worth following going forward. He's starting to get some buzz from draftniks and is just about time he starts getting some round 1 hype(PFF already mentioning him as potential R1 pick - he's grading extremely well for them... he has 3 games rated in the 90s and one at 87 or something of the sort). He's very intriguing QB. He's listed at 6'3" 210lbs but I'm not sure he's that big... he looks a bit smaller to me. Anyways... he's got a live arm and he's an athletic QB who can make plays on the move and even run the ball a bit(not Lamar or Russell Wilson or Josh Allen level, but more in the Luck/Mahomes mold as a runner. Plays BOTH from under center and from shotgun!! Some pro-concepts and some spread concepts. His arm is probably in the average to above average level, he has some good arm talent. Very quick and snappy release of the ball. Footwork needs work... Inconsistent pocket presence - Spins away from pressure... ALL THE TIME, even when he doesn't need to. Sometimes doesn't see blitzers he has to see. Has to improve some of that... but other than that... when he has a stable pocket he steps well into the pocket to make the required throws. He has good rhythm to his play... Can throw outside the numbers with good accuracy. Can throw downfield with good accuracy!! Can layer his throws between the lines of defense of the opponent. Has playmaking ability on the move, I haven't noticed him have any obvious decision-making issues but he can occasionally throw an obvious contested catch type of pass. Even though he has the running ability, he keeps his eyes up going through progressions and looking for the pass downfield even when he senses pressure and has to flee the pocket. Has some weird flip/shovel passes that I don't love and they don't seem stable but they don't happen too often. Unlike Jordan Love, he seems to have good feel for dropping defenders.

I want to watch more of him and against better competition so I will probably go back to previous seasons, but from what I'm hearing he had problems with injuries some of the previous years. To me it looks like he is the opposite of Jordan Love when it comes to performance - he had some trouble in previous years, but he seems to be putting it together now. I will keep following him going forward, he's definitely on my short list of QBs I will be looking at for the rest of the season. 

@stitches @shasta519

OK guys, let me ask you this and throw a name out here.

If the Bears decide to part with Mitch Trubisky, would you bring him in while Eason is starter much like the Titans brought in Tannehill while Mariota was playing on his rookie contract? I think that would be a great situation for us if Ballard and Reich think Trubisky has untapped upside. The game will not be fast for him since he would be used to NFL speed.

On 10/10/2020 at 4:55 PM, stitches said:

Tanner Morgan of Minnesota, what can you tell me about him? The first time he got my attention was when I read this:

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-college-football-quarterback-rankings-who-follows-trevor-lawrence-and-justin-fields-as-the-best#:~:text=TANNER MORGAN%2C MINNESOTA,2018 to eighth in 2019.

Key lines:

TANNER MORGAN, MINNESOTA

Argument for: Morgan was one of the biggest year-to-year improvements we saw in 2019, raising his PFF passing grade rank from 104th in 2018 to eighth in 2019. He was one of the most poised passers we saw all year long when under pressure — his pressured passing grade was the second-highest among Power-5 quarterbacks, and he joined Joe Burrow and Tyler Huntley as the only quarterbacks to produce top-10 marks in both negatively and positively graded play rate. He executed Minnesota’s RPO offense to perfection, too. Morgan worked the RPO slant like clockwork (more than anyone and better than anyone, I might add) and produced the highest grade on RPOs in college football.

23 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Tanner Morgan of Minnesota, what can you tell me about him? The first time he got my attention was when I read this:

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-college-football-quarterback-rankings-who-follows-trevor-lawrence-and-justin-fields-as-the-best#:~:text=TANNER MORGAN%2C MINNESOTA,2018 to eighth in 2019.

Key lines:

TANNER MORGAN, MINNESOTA

Argument for: Morgan was one of the biggest year-to-year improvements we saw in 2019, raising his PFF passing grade rank from 104th in 2018 to eighth in 2019. He was one of the most poised passers we saw all year long when under pressure — his pressured passing grade was the second-highest among Power-5 quarterbacks, and he joined Joe Burrow and Tyler Huntley as the only quarterbacks to produce top-10 marks in both negatively and positively graded play rate. He executed Minnesota’s RPO offense to perfection, too. Morgan worked the RPO slant like clockwork (more than anyone and better than anyone, I might add) and produced the highest grade on RPOs in college football.

Caveat first - haven't really studied him, only watched some games of him without paying my undivided attention to him. He seems like a pocket QB with good anticipation and accuracy, but probably lacks playmaking ability. A bit like this year's version of Jake Fromm, but with a little bit more big throw potential. I will watch him at some point and develop my opinion of him better, but I kind of doubt he will be one of my favorites.

50 minutes ago, chad72 said:

@stitches @shasta519

OK guys, let me ask you this and throw a name out here.

If the Bears decide to part with Mitch Trubisky, would you bring him in while Eason is starter much like the Titans brought in Tannehill while Mariota was playing on his rookie contract? I think that would be a great situation for us if Ballard and Reich think Trubisky has untapped upside. The game will not be fast for him since he would be used to NFL speed.

I'd rather us not. Trubisky hasn't really been good at any point. I have other QBs I'd like much better from the second chance pool - Darnold for example. But honestly... I'd much rather us draft one of the premier talents in this draft than go for a QB who's already failed. 

26 minutes ago, stitches said:

Caveat first - haven't really studied him, only watched some games of him without paying my undivided attention to him. He seems like a pocket QB with good anticipation and accuracy, but probably lacks playmaking ability. A bit like this year's version of Jake Fromm, but with a little bit more big throw potential. I will watch him at some point and develop my opinion of him better, but I kind of doubt he will be one of my favorites.

if the Bills Chiefs Packers all make the Championship Game then it will be the Jake Fromm State Farm Bowl

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'd rather us not. Trubisky hasn't really been good at any point. I have other QBs I'd like much better from the second chance pool - Darnold for example. 

What really makes us think after the whole NFL has seen the glimpses of Darnold potential that Darnold is even a possibility? I think folks are unrealistic. 

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

What really makes us think after the whole NFL has seen the glimpses of Darnold potential that Darnold is even a possibility? I think folks are unrealistic. 

No idea if he's a possibility but they got new GM and will likely have new coach soon so I can see them wanting to start over clean with the new coach's preferred QB, especially if they end up with no. 1-2 pick and the chance to draft Lawrence or Fields. 

Yep, just watched BYU vs Houston. Wilson was amazing again. I'm in. As long as he doesn't colapse by the end of the season it seems like he will be my (realistic) favorite for the Colts 1st round pick. And as per tradition... I already have changed my avatar to reflect that :) 

3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Wilson returns to BYU

@stitches

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

Jk my friend

I have vowed to not get attached to any QB this year the way I did to Love last year. :D 

But seriously ... Wilson looks real good. I was skeptical because I had seen some BYU games in previous years and never thought of him as this type of prospect, but it totally looks like he's taken the next step or two in his development... There is somewhat of a Joe Burrow type of jump in his game this year. (Of course, difference being - Burrow was  doing that against the best defenses in college football and Wilson is doing it against a cupcake schedule) 

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-biggest-breakout-draft-prospects-week-6-2020-season

College football's biggest breakout draft prospects through Week 6 of the 2020 season

QB ZACH WILSON, BYU

Wilson was certainly on the NFL’s radar after starting as a true freshman back in 2018 and toughing through an injury-plagued 2019, but those two seasons were nothing like the player we’re seeing now.

While BYU isn’t playing a single Power Five opponent all season, Wilson has dominated everyone that’s come in his path. He has single-game passing grades of 90.2, 87.7, 94.1 and 86.8 on the year for an FBS-leading 93.9 passing grade on the season. His 86.0 adjusted completion percentage is only one-tenth behind Mac Jones for the highest in college football. His blend of mobility, arm strength and accuracy — especially on the move — is special.

Archived