Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Expect Rivers to return next year, barring a SB win or catastrophic finish to the season/injury.

If Rivers retires, then I expect Brissett and Eason to be the main QBs on the team next year.

It should be interesting to see how it plays out.  Eason is a big question mark.  He gets positive reviews from the coaches.  And I think it was noteworthy that Ballard parted ways with Kelly - probably gave some validity to those positive reviews.

Re-signing Brissett seems like one available option.  But I’m guessing he’s going to want to sign somewhere he could start.  Maybe that’s Indy, maybe not.

But will we sign both Rivers and Brissett?

Personally I’m hoping for one of two things:

1) Ballard and Reich have enough faith in Eason to either start him or keep him as an heir apparent for Rivers (if they elect to keep him) in his final season.

2) We hit the market for somebody like Darnold if/when the Jets cut bait to go after Lawrence.

I am going to pass on Rivers for next year. There is so much left on the field every game with this offense. Plus lets not forget he will be getting surgery after the season is over so who know maybe he won't want to come back after that. We will likely be drafting in the mid 20's this coming draft so the chances of a starting caliber QB being there are incredibly slim. I see two options for this organization currently. Trade up into the teens for a rookie or trade our second for Sam Darnold.

I am more in favor of trading for Darnold even if it is our first round pick. The kid has so much talent and is incredibly young and was hampered by horrible coaching staffs so if we were to take him and mold him he could end up having a terrific career with us. I remember when the whole thought of the browns trading us everything for Luck and Darnold was going to be the QB i wanted. Honestly its our best way to get out of QB purgatory.

Philip Rivers stats:

18 TD's to 9 INT's - twice as many TD's to INT's

3263 Yards

68% completion's

8-4 as a starer

-Tell me what rookie would be better and people wanted freakin Jordan Love who doesn't even play lmao . I am not sold on Eason either. I definitely want Rivers back and it is a no brainer for now. Andrew Luck isn't in the draft

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Not the sexy answer but I bet it'll be Rivers backed up by Eason. Unless things fall CB's way in the draft and he gets a QB he likes. 

Unlikely scenario that he goes for Darnold or Wentz when he has a better QB in Rivers.

You do realize Rivers will be 39 in a few weeks right

9 minutes ago, Robin said:

Genuine question as I can't remember but how many of these young QB trade ever worked out?

Off the top of my head:

Drew Brees

Ryan Tannehill

Kurt Warner

Mike VIck

All slightly different situations but all pretty young when they changed teams. Im sure there are a lot more I cant think of atm.

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Not the sexy answer but I bet it'll be Rivers backed up by Eason. Unless things fall CB's way in the draft and he gets a QB he likes. 

Unlikely scenario that he goes for Darnold or Wentz when he has a better QB in Rivers.

Sexy answer?

What the...

Colts new QB is Kate Upton 

Just now, Mitch Connors said:

Off the top of my head:

Drew Brees

Ryan Tannehill

Kurt Warner

Mike VIck

All slightly different situations but all pretty young when they changed teams. Im sure there are a lot more I cant think of atm.

None of those guys were traded, but still a good point. Cousins isn't bad.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brady is 43 and Brees 41, 39 is nothing. Are you seeing how Rivers is playing? He is still good, may not be great but he is good.

He has his moments, but the offense stalls too much imo. Not saying that's all on Rivers, but we do need more from that side of the ball.

Just now, CR91 said:

He has his moments, but the offense stalls too much imo. Not saying that's all on Rivers, but we do need more from that side of the ball.

I feel bad for TY because he has always needed a true #2. He had Wayne in 2012 who was still Wayne but in 2013 got injured. Pascal is ok but not a #2, I hope Pittman can be that. Our WR core as a whole is probably just average, maybe above average. Rivers is doing his best with what he has. Not to mention our run game has struggled all season for some reason. I can see TY signing maybe a 2 year deal to finish his career here. With the WR core we have now, I would bring him back.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brady is 43 and Brees 41, 39 is nothing. Are you seeing how Rivers is playing? He is still good, may not be great but he is good.

Rivers is plenty capable of another year. I know it would * lots of people off but I would be happy. 

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Eason tops my list if Rivers hangs it up. I bet he returns.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think JB will be gone so I agree, Eason will be #2 if Rivers returns.

On this topic I have to agree with both of you :)

I hope Rivers comeback one more year if the continue he's current skill level.. I hope they find out if Eason is it this off season and if not draft a QB for 2022.. My biggest fear is they put JB in at garbage time so we cant see Eason. And we know JB isn't it.

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

People on this board trash Jacoby.  But here everyone is willing to give Darnold a chance.  Why?  Darnold has only completed over 60% of his passes once in 3 years.  And that was a whopping 62%.  His numbers match up very similarly to Jacoby's the two years Jacoby started lots of games for us.  In fact Jacoby had a better rating and fewer turnovers.  So what's with this love affair with Darnold? 

And please don't compare him to Tannehill.  Tannehill had a couple 4k yard seasons in Miami and was only under 60% his rookie year.  So again what's so special about Darnold???  Because he was drafted high?  We just used a 4th round pick on Eason who has a better pedigree than Darnold.  And you guys want us to give up another draft pick to acquire Darnold without even giving Eason a chance to play.  Again, Why? 

Would you guys be willing to give up a draft pick for RG3 or Blake Bortles?  They were drafted high too.  Even took teams to the playoffs.  Would you guys be willing to give up a draft pick for Jacoby?  His numbers compare very closely to Darnold's.  I can understand Stafford or Carr.  They've proven they can play the position at a winning level.  Darnold has struggled to even be mediocre.  I'll take him for free and give him a chance to compete but I wouldn't give up anything over a 5th. 

I changed my mind on giving up a 4th for him because we have a 4th round QB on the roster in Eason who deserves a chance over Darnold getting another chance to prove his mediocrity,  And we've seen that Ballard can find contributors with his picks.  So I'd rather draft a guy to compete with Eason.  Next years draft has a lot of potential in it.

Donald is a lot better then Jacoby and has better upside. Can't fault Donald being bad on him. Mostly its the front office and coaching staff for complete utter failure getting him and protection. We seen the Jacoby show and its not great

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he could start for the Bears, that would be a good fit for them. Bears have a good defense but are a mess on offense. JB would give them leadership and a rocket arm.

so there never never passing 4k record continues 

Just now, Freenyfan102 said:

Donald is a lot better then Jacoby and has better upside. Can't fault Donald being bad on him. Mostly its the front office and coaching staff for complete utter failure getting him and protection. We seen the Jacoby show and its not great

Darnold* 

Agreed though JB shouldn't be starter here 

16 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

Why is nobody throwing Derek Carr into that discussion? :peek:

Carr sounds very happy with the Raiders.   I don't think he will leave.  

JB won't be signed as a starter anywhere and I'm not sure if there will be much of a market for him.  The league seems more saturated with good and potentially good QB's right now.  To think we could see Newton, Stafford, Carr, Darnold, Ryan, Brissett, Prescott, Rivers, Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Flacco, Winston and others on the market.  

21 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

So once again Darnold gets excuses for his poor play.  Jacoby played similarly poorly (new team no offseason thrown to the wolves & 5-2 start before injury and going 7-8) but you know he's not great but Darnold is a lot better...  Why?  Because you want him to be?  Stats haven't shown him to be better.  They've shown him to be just as below average as Jacoby.  But it must be the Jets and Gase right? Sure they suck but Tannehill put up better numbers despite having Gase in Miami.  Why can't Darnold put up average QB numbers? 

Just like with Rosen (and even Gase), certain guys keep getting chance after chance and excuses made for them.  Is Darnold better than Bortles?  Bortles was a couple plays from going to a Super Bowl.  Even Mitch Trubisky's resume looks better than Darnold.  So again why do some QB's like Brissett, Trubisky, & Bortles get blamed for their performances while others like Darnold & Rosen get excuses made for them?  Look at how the excuses for Wentz have helped him regress to the bench,

If you want to say that Darnold may still reach his potential?  Fine.  Maybe.  Or maybe this is as good as he's ever gonna be? But to say you can't fault him for his poor play is making excuses for a guy who has so far been a below average QB.  That blame falls on him.  Poor organizations and coaching and bad line play haven't stopped Herbert or Burrow from balling out.  Even Mayfield in Cleveland, who I'm not the biggest fan of, has put up above average numbers.  Darnold is looking closer to being a bust than a star QB in this league.  I still say give Eason a shot.  I like his upside and potential better than Sam's.

If the club thinks Eason could be their guy, I would prefer to see Rivers come back next year. If Eason show out in camp, maybe he is the starter. If not, we have Rivers for another year. Then we can roll with Eason or a someone else in 2022.

Archived