Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Nadine changed the title to Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)
On 12/8/2020 at 2:39 PM, luv_pony_express said:

It should be interesting to see how it plays out.  Eason is a big question mark.  He gets positive reviews from the coaches.  And I think it was noteworthy that Ballard parted ways with Kelly - probably gave some validity to those positive reviews.

Re-signing Brissett seems like one available option.  But I’m guessing he’s going to want to sign somewhere he could start.  Maybe that’s Indy, maybe not.

But will we sign both Rivers and Brissett?

Personally I’m hoping for one of two things:

1) Ballard and Reich have enough faith in Eason to either start him or keep him as an heir apparent for Rivers (if they elect to keep him) in his final season.

2) We hit the market for somebody like Darnold if/when the Jets cut bait to go after Lawrence.

Isn’t Darnold on a fully guaranteed contract? Why would they cut Darnold if they have to pay anyway. I could see taking Lawrence for sure but also keeping Darnold. 

On 12/8/2020 at 3:03 PM, Robin said:

Genuine question as I can't remember but how many of these young QB trade ever worked out?

Tannehill is the guy I would also point to in a success story. Sometimes, you just aren’t on the right team or the right situation to grow. I’d say this too could be Darnold possibly. Wentz is just on a terrible oline team this year but he definitely has a pedigree to show he can ball out. His contract kills his moving elsewhere though. 

On 12/8/2020 at 4:06 PM, ColtsGermany said:

Why is nobody throwing Derek Carr into that discussion? :peek:

I do like Carr and hoped we ended up with him in 2020 but he didn’t move and now we have Rivers. In an ideal world, we win the SB this year, PR retires a winner, we obtain Darnold for. 3 or 4 and Eason has made tremendous progress this season in film and practice with nfl pro’s. We draft a LT with our first round pick, our 2020 draft picks make the jump at wr on 2021 and both Darnold and Eason have the arm to reach way downfield and are tall enough to throw over DL and 50/50 balls to put 6’4” guys. 

I like a Eason/Darnold attempt at finding a future QB and youth is on our side. 

Just now, Jdubu said:

Isn’t Darnold on a fully guaranteed contract? Why would they cut Darnold if they have to pay anyway. I could see taking Lawrence for sure but also keeping Darnold. 

Tannehill is the guy I would also point to in a success story. Sometimes, you just aren’t on the right team or the right situation to grow. I’d say this too could be Darnold possibly. Wentz is just on a terrible oline team this year but he definitely has a pedigree to show he can ball out. His contract kills his moving elsewhere though. 

I do like Carr and hoped we ended up with him in 2020 but he didn’t move and now we have Rivers. In an ideal world, we win the SB this year, PR retires a winner, we obtain Darnold for. 3 or 4 and Eason has made tremendous progress this season in film and practice with nfl pro’s. We draft a LT with our first round pick, our 2020 draft picks make the jump at wr on 2021 and both Darnold and Eason have the arm to reach way downfield and are tall enough to throw over DL and 50/50 balls to put 6’4” guys. 

I like a Eason/Darnold attempt at finding a future QB and youth is on our side. 

Tannehill is the perfect example. Who was the coach of Tannehill when he was struggling in Miami? Adam Gase. Who is the coach of the Jets with Darnold struggling? Adam Gase. There's your constant. I wouldn't pay a huge price to acquire Darnold, but I'd pay a 3rd or 4th rounder and take a shot on him to battle it out with Eason next year. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Tannehill is the perfect example. Who was the coach of Tannehill when he was struggling in Miami? Adam Gase. Who is the coach of the Jets with Darnold struggling? Adam Gase. There's your constant. I wouldn't pay a huge price to acquire Darnold, but I'd pay a 3rd or 4th rounder and take a shot on him to battle it out with Eason next year. 

If we did that I would have Darnold on short leash 

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

If we did that I would have Darnold on short leash 

I wouldn't. At worst, he would be the backup next year for us in that scenario. He should get every opportunity to battle it out for the starters job with Eason and keep that job if he wins it. I like Eason, but he's still a young 4th round pick himself. It would be a competition. I'd probably sign Rosen or Kelly back to be the 3rd string guy in that situation just to have another guy to compete. 

If we don't want to spend 20 million + on a QB next year, that's probably our best option.

So when I sit down and start to think about mock drafts, I put a couple scenarios in my head regarding the QB.

Scenario 1: trade for Darnold- With this you probably have to give up no more than a 3rd to get Darnold now since it’s almost a guarantee that the Jets are getting Lawrence, so they don’t have the leverage. Man the Colts fleecing the Jets comes full circle if this happens. Gain 3 extra 2nd round picks all to come back around and get Darnold for a 3rd lol.

Scenario 2: Trade up for Lance/Wilson- In this scenario you likely have to give up next years first and maybe a 3rd to get him. But it would be worth it

Scenario 3: Draft Jamie Newman in the 2nd/3rd round- I put maybe 3rd here because depending on how he does at the Senior Bowl, he could be a big riser. 

I could see why Reich would be interested in Went but IDK if Ballard will be willing to pay the money and spend a draft pick. We have 2 big contracts in Nelson and Leonard coming up and already are paying Buckner $25 mil a year.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm in agreement with you.  I may go as far as giving our 2nd round pick for Darnold, but only if research was done.  

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

So when I sit down and start to think about mock drafts, I put a couple scenarios in my head regarding the QB.

Scenario 1: trade for Darnold- With this you probably have to give up no more than a 3rd to get Darnold now since it’s almost a guarantee that the Jets are getting Lawrence, so they don’t have the leverage. Man the Colts fleecing the Jets comes full circle if this happens. Gain 3 extra 2nd round picks all to come back around and get Darnold for a 3rd lol.

Scenario 2: Trade up for Lance/Wilson- In this scenario you likely have to give up next years first and maybe a 3rd to get him. But it would be worth it

Scenario 3: Draft Jamie Newman in the 2nd/3rd round- I put maybe 3rd here because depending on how he does at the Senior Bowl, he could be a big riser. 

I could see why Reich would be interested in Went but IDK if Ballard will be willing to pay the money and spend a draft pick. We have 2 big contracts in Nelson and Leonard coming up and already are paying Buckner $25 mil a year.

Good post.

But the only way we’re trading for Wentz is if he agrees to restructure his deal and sharply lower his number.   Trading for him on his current deal is a complete non-starter.  Take a look at his contract over at Spotrac.  It’s way too generous.   I like Wentz, but not at that number.   Not even close. 

If the route the Colts take is draft I would be fine with Mac Jones.

He should be  available around 20s

His age is a bit concerning, but he might not make it to us in a different draft. If that's his worst quality, then he can still be really good.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

His age is a bit concerning, but he might not make it to us in a different draft. If that's his worst quality, then he can still be really good.

Plenty will change between now and draft

6 guys are projected 1st now but only 4 will probably go round 1

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Plenty will change between now and draft

6 guys are projected 1st now but only 4 will probably go round 1

Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, and Lance will go round 1. Jones and Trask are borderline. We'll have to see as the pro days, combines, and the senior bowl happen.

7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

If the route the Colts take is draft I would be fine with Mac Jones.

He should be  available around 20s

One of the biggest problems with Jones is that at the end of this season, he’s going to have less than 20 career starts.   That alone is a red flag for many NFL teams.   Typically, they want a minimum of 25-26 starts, if not more.   Experience at the QB position is one of the coveted qualities.  Inexperience often leads to bust.  

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, and Lance will go round 1. Jones and Trask are borderline. We'll have to see as the pro days, combines, and the senior bowl happen.

Wilson and Lance might even drop pending how they do 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

One of the biggest problems with Jones is that at the end of this season, he’s going to have less than 20 career starts.   That alone us a red flag for many NFL teams.   Typically, they want a minimum of 25-26 starts, if not more.   Experience at the QB position is one of the coveted qualities.  Inexperience often leads to bust.  

Thats very true. I wouldn't mind taking the risk on young guy.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

One of the biggest problems with Jones is that at the end of this season, he’s going to have less than 20 career starts.   That alone is a red flag for many NFL teams.   Typically, they want a minimum of 25-26 starts, if not more.   Experience at the QB position is one of the coveted qualities.  Inexperience often leads to bust.  

I do agree with this. I believe the last "high pick" to majorly succeed with only a few starts was Kyler Murray, followed by Cam Newton in 2011. So it happens rarely, and it takes a special type of QB to make it happen.

Doesn't have to be in 21 with Rivers coming back possibly but Ballard is gonna have to take a risk on young guy sometime.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

The injury Dak had won’t have him healthy in time to make a decision on him. He won’t be a option. Rivers will be brought back if we make it to the playoffs and I bet he gets signed soon after the season is over.  I doubt we will trade for Wentz. That is way to big of a gamble to take. 

Wentz IMO is not even an option 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

One of the biggest problems with Jones is that at the end of this season, he’s going to have less than 20 career starts.   That alone us a red flag for many NFL teams.   Typically, they want a minimum of 25-26 starts, if not more.   Experience at the QB position is one of the coveted qualities.  Inexperience often leads to bust.  

Yeah why would we draft him for the same situation we have with Eason. We should resign rivers and make Eason the backup and see what we have before giving away the farm. They would have to be really in love to trade up.  I want consistency next season not a 4th QB in 4 years or one that is broken that we hope we can fix. If rivers decides to retire then we have a different situation. I don’t think he is ready yet though.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Yeah why would we draft him for the same situation we have with Eason. We should resign rivers and make Eason the backup and see what we have before giving away the farm. They would have to be really in love to trade up.  I want consistency next season not a 4th QB in 4 years or one that is broken that we hope we can fix. If rivers decides to retire then we have a different situation. I don’t think he is ready yet though.

This is all dependent on Rivers retiring or not

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Doesn't have to be in 21 with Rivers coming back possibly but Ballard is gonna have to take a risk on young guy sometime.

Wentz IMO is not even an option 

Sure but we better love a guy more then we like Eason.  Eason is getting a really good look these last couple of weeks with rivers not practicing and being limited. Reich talked a little about that today.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sure but we better love a guy more then we like Eason.  Eason is getting a really good look these last couple of weeks with rivers not practicing and being limited. Reich talked a little about that today.

I have high hopes for Eason. I know he has plenty of potential but probably won't be the starter til 22.

This is all dependent on Rivers retiring or not

If Rivers retires this is a situation where I would be cool going after Stafford. I would take him any day  over  Wentz. I don’t want Reich to have a QB he has a personal connection with because it makes him unable to see the truth when they play bad.  My mind will change though if we don’t make the playoffs and end the season badly.

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If Rivers retires this is a situation where I would be cool going after Stafford. I would take him any day  over  Wentz. I don’t want Reich to have a QB he has a personal connection with because it makes him unable to see the truth when they play bad.  My mind will change though if we don’t make the playoffs and end the season badly.

I would think any veteran QB would love playing here behind our OL

This defence is built to win now. We need a veteran qb. Trade for Aaron Rodgers. They drafted Love last year. They may just trade Aaron for a 1st and an early pick the year after. I would rather do that with a proven nfl qb. Buckner for a first last year. Rodgers for a first this year. In a heart beat.

6 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

This defence is built to win now. We need a veteran qb. Trade for Aaron Rodgers. They drafted Love last year. They may just trade Aaron for a 1st and an early pick the year after. I would rather do that with a proven nfl qb. Buckner for a first last year. Rodgers for a first this year. In a heart beat.

I'm hoping GB gets bounced early in the playoffs so they would be more open to trading him. I would give a 1 for Rodgers in a heartbeat.

I would be good if we can get Wentz or Darnold on the cheap.  They both are relatively young and do have upside.  Wentz I hope can be fixed. I think Darnold suffers from maybe the worst coach in the NFL over the last 10 years.

If we go to the draft, I would like Trask or Zack Wilson.  No more Jordan Love types. I hear to that stuff for months on here.  Packers got themselves a scout QB.

I also believe Eason is as talented as probably any of these QBs.  If he mentally can pick up the Colts offense, I am all for seeing what he can do.

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm in agreement with you.  I may go as far as giving our 2nd round pick for Darnold, but only if research was done.  

I doubt we’d get Darnold for a 2nd round pick.  I have a feeling his stock will be relatively high.  He’s only 3 years in and the reason anybody is talking about him is because he’s shown promise on an otherwise awful team.  It’s not like he’s been a huge bust.

That said, Rivers and Brissett combined are making ~$45M this year.  Ballard will have plenty of capital available to get a quality starter and a 2nd (assuming they don’t settle on Eason as the #2, which certainly seems possible).

1 minute ago, lennymoore24 said:

I would be good if we can get Wentz or Darnold on the cheap.  They both are relatively young and do have upside.  Wentz I hope can be fixed. I think Darnold suffers from maybe the worst coach in the NFL over the last 10 years.

If we go to the draft, I would like Trask or Zack Wilson.  No more Jordan Love types. I hear to that stuff for months on here.  Packers got themselves a scout QB.

I also believe Eason is as talented as probably any of these QBs.  If he mentally can pick up the Colts offense, I am all for seeing what he can do.

I really hope we don’t go after Wentz.  I just don’t see a great future for him anywhere.  He simply hasn’t been the same since his ACL.

But, honestly, I have a feeling they’re going to ink Rivers for another year.  I don’t think it’s the right move.  Maybe how that plays out will depend on their confidence in Eason as an heir apparent.

On 9/14/2020 at 3:04 PM, Zoltan said:

There's no way we will be in position to get Trevor Lawrence, but maybe Fields or Lance. 

Hopefully though we don't have to draft a QB because we turn around after this ego check/ gut punch week 1 loss

draft a QB didn't we use a pick in last years draft for a QB ? if we picked him why not use play him?  Eason

13 minutes ago, conklincolt said:

draft a QB didn't we use a pick in last years draft for a QB ? if we picked him why not use play him?  Eason

If he's good then use him, I just don't expect 4th round picks to be a franchise QB. Is it possible yes, is it likely no.

5 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

If he's good then use him, I just don't expect 4th round picks to be a franchise QB. Is it possible yes, is it likely no.

True - but look at all of the 1st rounds QB picks that have flamed out over the years.  I don't care where we picked him.   I assume they picked him for a reason and it wasn't to carry a clip board.  I wouldn't have a problem with him getting a shot.  I will trust the coaches since I am sure they are doing a lot of evaluation on him.  But there should be a "plan B".  

The reality is teams in our situation have gone years without finding their next franchise QB.  It's kind of like trying to replace AC - finding a LT that would be an improvement over AC will be difficult.  Even in the draft.  We are in that same situation.  We need to find that guy while still keeping the rest of the roster very competitive.  It's a difficult balancing act for the team and at this point we still have other holes on the roster that need to be improved.

I am not a big Rivers fan but at this point he seems to be the best option. 

Archived