Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stephen said:

I'VE Seen articles linking us to wentz and Darnold, but not sure either one of them would  be an upgrade if rivers retired 

They're both QBs with potential that aren't living up to it.  Could a good QB coach and a good O line change that?  

It would be fitting to get Darnold for a 3rd round pick though, lol!

17 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

They're both QBs with potential that aren't living up to it.  Could a good QB coach and a good O line change that?  

It would be fitting to get Darnold for a 3rd round pick though, lol!

you know what i'm gonna say it. Darnold just needs a good coach who can dip him in holy water (so he doesn't see ghost anymore) and to help him get to the next level and i think frank can be that coach lol

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

I actually wouldn't mind Wentz. He has ties with Reich and he seems like that perfect "in need of a fresh start" guy. Philly is a dumpster fire right now he has no protection and no weapons. Could be good for us,

A mobile QB behind a good line with a good running game.  Fantastic!

Wentz injury history is concerning though.  

Just now, Smonroe said:

A mobile QB behind a good line with a good running game.  Fantastic!

Wentz injury history is concerning though.  

Wentz isn't really that mobile. He can be, but he runs into sacks more this year than any QB  I've ever seen it feels like

5 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Wentz isn't really that mobile. He can be, but he runs into sacks more this year than any QB  I've ever seen it feels like

Philly doesn't have a wonderful Oline by any means, but he does manage to get himself into a lot of pressure and sack situations.

I doubt Rivers retires.  And the Rivers we've seen for the most part this year is just fine.  Hopefully Eason is developing and can be a viable bu next year.  I wouldn't want to give up anything higher than a 4th if we do go after the other two.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I'd love to get a steal at QB the way the Titans did when they traded a late 4th round pick for Tannehill. 

Wasn’t Tannehill due for a new contract though after the season? Darnold would at least be in line to execute a 5th yr option and he definitely has talent. Nobody on that jets team seems to be capable of playing well. Coaching? Player over valued? Chemistry? Apathy? Idk, but it’s definitely a dumpster fire up there. I would definitely give up a 4th round pick and let Eason and Darnold and even bring back Kelly next season to compete for a role. Starter and 2 back ups. 

Hard pass on the struggling to be mediocre Darnold and the regressing to hot garbage Wentz.  I'd rather give Eason a shot.  They've had theirs.  Eason has more arm talent than either and a better pedigree.  He was the number 1 QB in the country coming out of high school.  Circumstances have stopped him from playing continuously and reaching his potential.  I'm for giving him the shot that the other 2 have already been given.  I might offer a late 4th or 5th for Darnold and only give him a chance to compete but I expect Eason with a year in the system will win the competition anyway.  So just roll with Eason.

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Hard pass on the struggling to be mediocre Darnold and the regressing to hot garbage Wentz.  I'd rather give Eason a shot.  They've had theirs.  Eason has more arm talent than either and a better pedigree.  He was the number 1 QB in the country coming out of high school.  Circumstances have stopped him from playing and reaching his potential.  I'm for giving him the shot that the other 2 have already been given.  No thanks.

If we could pay rivers 25 and JB 21, we can pay Eason and Darnold and see what we can make happen from the two guys. It’s possible Darnold is just another busted top 3 pick but for $5 mil and a 4th round pick, I’d give it a stab. Unless the team is really high on what progress that Eason has made then we stay Pat where we are and continue to groom and mentor Eason. He has to play though at some point and see what his ability is under stress imho. 

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'd like Darnold.   He's under contract through the 2021 season.  He's been on a crappy team so his potential is still there.  

I'd like to see Darnold and Rosen brought in and have Eason, Darnold and Rosen fight it out.

Rosen????  We'd be better off bringing Phillip (PJ) Walker back.

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'd like Darnold.   He's under contract through the 2021 season.  He's been on a crappy team so his potential is still there.  

I'd like to see Darnold and Rosen brought in and have Eason, Darnold and Rosen fight it out.

Not too sure about Rosen, I think his ship has definitely sailed in the nfl. His best bet might be to go to Canada or the XFL league if it resumes. If you think about it, it’s amazing how many QB’s just flat fail. 

Darnold would be interesting. Matthew Stafford would be interesting too. There's something about Carson Wentz... It looks like he gets it, then he looks like he doesn't get it. Plus he's had a bit of an injury history. I would probably pass on him even though Reich knows him. Either way, Darnold or Wentz would need coached up a bit but I think Darnold, Wentz, or Stafford would excel behind our O-Line. I like Stafford's experience, though. 

People on this board trash Jacoby.  But here everyone is willing to give Darnold a chance.  Why?  Darnold has only completed over 60% of his passes once in 3 years.  And that was a whopping 62%.  His numbers match up very similarly to Jacoby's the two years Jacoby started lots of games for us.  In fact Jacoby had a better rating and fewer turnovers.  So what's with this love affair with Darnold? 

And please don't compare him to Tannehill.  Tannehill had a couple 4k yard seasons in Miami and was only under 60% his rookie year.  So again what's so special about Darnold???  Because he was drafted high?  We just used a 4th round pick on Eason who has a better pedigree than Darnold.  And you guys want us to give up another draft pick to acquire Darnold without even giving Eason a chance to play.  Again, Why? 

Would you guys be willing to give up a draft pick for RG3 or Blake Bortles?  They were drafted high too.  Even took teams to the playoffs.  Would you guys be willing to give up a draft pick for Jacoby?  His numbers compare very closely to Darnold's.  I can understand Stafford or Carr.  They've proven they can play the position at a winning level.  Darnold has struggled to even be mediocre.  I'll take him for free and give him a chance to compete but I wouldn't give up anything over a 5th. 

I changed my mind on giving up a 4th for him because we have a 4th round QB on the roster in Eason who deserves a chance over Darnold getting another chance to prove his mediocrity,  And we've seen that Ballard can find contributors with his picks.  So I'd rather draft a guy to compete with Eason.  Next years draft has a lot of potential in it.

Would rather have Stafford over anyone. 

I think Wentz makes sense because of Reich's familiarity with him with the Eagles. 

Let Rivers and Brissett go and you have what, $46M to play around with? 

I think he gets made out to be better than what he is, but Dak might be decent as well.....assuming he comes back ok from injury  - which is a big assumption. 

Kevin Bowen talked about this on his podcast and the more I think about it, the more I agree. An expensive FA signing is just another bandaid. If we want a winner, year after year, (we all want that, right?) we need to find a cheap rookie QB we can build around. 

I’d be fine signing Phil for one more year if he’s motivated to play still.

41 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Not too sure about Rosen, I think his ship has definitely sailed in the nfl. His best bet might be to go to Canada or the XFL league if it resumes. If you think about it, it’s amazing how many QB’s just flat fail. 

I only like Rosen to be brought in to battle because he would be cheap and provide another young QB to compete.  

Coming out of college many thought he was the best QB in the draft.  He went to a crappy Arizona team and then to a crappy Miami team.  My hope would be that he's been humbled and that should be apparent in training camp.  

I wouldn't bring in Rosen to be the starter, just another QB to push Eason and maybe Darnold.   That is only if Rivers retires.

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I'VE Seen articles linking us to wentz and Darnold, but not sure either one of them would  be an upgrade if rivers retired 

No way on Wentz.  He’s been one of the worst starters in the league this season and wasn’t much better last year.  Some people just aren’t nearly as effective after an ACL.  I think he sadly falls in this group.

But I’d be very intrigued by Darnold.  I think Darnold has really good potential in the right system with the right pieces around him.

Granted, I’m not a big Rivers fan.  But, even for those who are, how many more years does he realistically have?

Archived