Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

If Dallas cant work out a deal with Dak, could Ballard sweet talk him into a cheaper one year prove it deal for a nice future contract. Prescott Career stats are very very good. I thi k he could thrive here with Taylor and our line. Or is Prescott to set on getting paid top dollar for us to be able to land him. I think we could sell him on we are SB contenders for years to come if he signs in INDY.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

If Dallas cant work out a deal with Dak, could Ballard sweet talk him into a cheaper one year prove it deal for a nice future contract. Prescott Career stats are very very good. I thi k he could thrive here with Taylor and our line. Or is Prescott to set on getting paid top dollar for us to be able to land him. I think we could sell him on we are SB contenders for years to come if he signs in INDY.

If Dallas can't work out a deal with him they will franchise tag him. You are not getting Prescott without giving up assets for him. 

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

Wishful thinking I guess. I thought I heard the tag will cost them more than the deal they offered him. I'm hoping Dallas says shop the market.

It's more about the years than the money. The franchise tag is pretty much perfect for exactly this situation - him coming back from serious injury, them not having agreed on a contract. It's pretty much a big prove it deal that allows them to keep the asset/opportunity to either keep him or trade him... or if his injury has made him a lesser player - maybe release him after the season. 

Just now, stitches said:

It's more about the years than the money. The franchise tag is pretty much perfect for exactly this situation - him coming back from serious injury, them not having agreed on a contract. It's pretty much a big prove it deal that allows them to keep the asset/opportunity to either keep him or trade him... or if his injury has made him a lesser player - maybe release him after the season. 

Good point.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If they bring back Rivers all they are doing is wasting another year of their other players.  All of whom will be getting big pay raises soon.  And no way in hell they should bring back Jacoby.  He just gets in the way of Eason or another rookie Qb and costs a fortune for a back up.

Spending what...$40-$45 M last year for Rivers and Jacoby lol?  No one brings that up but that is just laughable.  Take $20 M of that and spend it on a top wr or another top FA and this season may have been different.

3 minutes ago, StatesmanN said:

Top choices:

Stafford

Stafford

Stafford

Draft a Qb

Eason

Wentz

Rivers

Here's my list

1. Mac Jones

2. Matthew Stafford

3. Trey Lance or Jacob Eason 

Both 3 won't start in 21 so drops them

I also don't have Stafford tops cause it would take 1 and possibly more to get him

4 minutes ago, StatesmanN said:

If they bring back Rivers all they are doing is wasting another year of their other players.  All of whom will be getting big pay raises soon.  And no way in hell they should bring back Jacoby.  He just gets in the way of Eason or another rookie Qb and costs a fortune for a back up.

Spending what...$40-$45 M last year for Rivers and Jacoby lol?  No one brings that up but that is just laughable.  Take $20 M of that and spend it on a top wr or another top FA and this season may have been different.

That isn’t how it works though. They have to go through their options. Other QB like Wentz. Do they draft and let the rookie start.  What are the other options. Are there better options. You can’t just not bring him back unless you have a better option. 

5 minutes ago, StatesmanN said:

If they bring back Rivers all they are doing is wasting another year of their other players

It depends on what their options are.  If you don't have a better option, you bring him back.  

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

That isn’t how it works though. They have to go through their options. Other QB like Wentz. Do they draft and let the rookie start.  What are the other options. Are there better options. You can’t just not bring him back unless you have a better option. 

Beat me to it.

Watson is reportedly unhappy with Houston and everything that's happened there the last year, might seek a trade per rumors. If I'm Ballard, the moment it becomes official (if it does), I'm hitting up the Texans immediately.

Even if we couldn't get Watson, him leaving for another team (preferrably in the NFC) would be fantastic for us.

I like Rivers, but at some point the Colts have to look to the future and go young.Find someone to grow with this team and be a force for years. I think as a team we are realitivly young at key positions,right?Left tackle at some point though.

I know it stinks, but ya gotta start some where. I think the Colts fan base has become spoiled to a degree with back to back Manning Luck combo and just automatically think we are going to get a franchise qb. Yeah it would be great, but don't hold your breath.

I don't want a retread like Darnold,Wentz coming here. If anyone it should be Stafford. Proven,experienced, still  has some good years as long as his health holds. I am not saying that's what they should do, but if you are going to bring somebody in that's in the league it should be him. 

We know nothing about Eason. So who knows what he is about.  

If Ballard feels he can't pull  a QB out of the draft that is worthy and can't work a deal for MS, stick with PR , let's see what Eason has and be patient. Rivers exceeded my expectations, but when things get to crunch time , coming from behind.....gets kinda dicey.

1 minute ago, jszfunk said:

I like Rivers, but at some point the Colts have to look to the future and go young.Find someone to grow with this team and be a force for years. I think as a team we are realitivly young at key positions,right?Left tackle at some point though.

I know it stinks, but ya gotta start some where. I think the Colts fan base has become spoiled to a degree with back to back Manning Luck combo and just automatically think we are going to get a franchise qb. Yeah it would be great, but don't hold your breath.

I don't want a retread like Darnold,Wentz coming here. If anyone it should be Stafford. Proven,experienced, still  has some good years as long as his health holds. I am not saying that's what they should do, but if you are going to bring somebody in that's in the league it should be him. 

We know nothing about Eason. So who knows what he is about.  

If Ballard feels he can't pull  a QB out of the draft that is worthy and can't work a deal for MS, stick with PR , let's see what Eason has and be patient. Rivers exceeded my expectations, but when things get to crunch time , coming from behind.....gets kinda dicey.

If Rivers wants to come back, the Colts will likely take him based on what Reich has said. The real question now I think is whether Rivers wants to play another year. While I certainly don't think Rivers is the answer, our failures this year are not his fault; that can be blamed on Reich and Flus' play calling, lack of WR depth, lack of CB depth, and lack of a pass rusher.

11 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

If Rivers wants to come back, the Colts will likely take him based on what Reich has said. The real question now I think is whether Rivers wants to play another year. While I certainly don't think Rivers is the answer, our failures this year are not his fault; that can be blamed on Reich and Flus' play calling, lack of WR depth, lack of CB depth, and lack of a pass rusher.

All those things that you mentioned, even if we had them all (which we won't and no team ever does), Rivers still probably would not get you a SB.  He can't run and he can't throw downfield.

And that is why you need to move on.  Because if your QB  is not getting experience to learn and grow, or have a legit chance to win a SB?  Then why play with a qb who's ceiling is what we saw this year.

Makes no sense.

Either suck for a high draft pick.

Get experience for your young qb.

Or go for it all.

Anything else is a waste of time and resources.

1 hour ago, StatesmanN said:

I agree I love me some Ballard. And I've stated on here a few times his one mistake as a gm is how much we spent on the QB position. Luck made it tough but the JB contract was undeserved. Got to earn a contract like that. You pay for a proven commodity, you dont pay a gut what you hope they will play like.

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

I agree I love me some Ballard. And I've stated on here a few times his one mistake as a gm is how much we spent on the QB position. Luck made it tough but the JB contract was undeserved. Got to earn a contract like that. You pay for a proven commodity, you dont pay a gut what you hope they will play like.

I doubt Ballard ever makes that mistake again.

5 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

If for some reason he becomes available,  you want to get him on a cheaper 1 year prove it deal? 

Why cant we pay him Full price like he surely will not settle for less? 

We desperately need a QB, and how many will be out there that will be available at his level?

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If you guys have the time go listen to the one percent better podcast. Lots of good convo on Rivers.  One interesting tidbit. Keefer said he talked to someone close to Eason. They said Eaaon is approaching next season as if he will be the starter. Is doing everything right to get the chance to start.

It's hard to decipher what's right to say talk from facts. In all honesty I would like to see what he's got and put some money toward a stud DE or shut down CB.

8 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

It's hard to decipher what's right to say talk from facts. In all honesty I would like to see what he's got and put some money toward a stud DE or shut down CB.

I think what I got out of what he said was Eason is doing everything he can to earn the colts trust and give him a chance. I think if they want to give him a chance rivers probably needs to come back s year with eason as his backup. Eason needs some preseason games and one more season. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think what I got out of what he said was Eason is doing everything he can to earn the colts trust and give him a chance. I think if they want to give him a chance rivers probably needs to come back s year with eason as his backup. Eason needs some preseason games and one more season. 

I think if they really feel good about Eason, Rivers wont be back. They are not gonna talk bad about the QB the just drafted. How the offseason unfolds will tell us. If a young QB needs more than one season to developed he isn't the sure answer they are looking for. Name me a QB that sat their first two years to become a franchise QB.

19 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I think if they really feel good about Eason, Rivers wont be back. They are not gonna talk bad about the QB the just drafted. How the offseason unfolds will tell us. If a young QB needs more than one season to developed he isn't the sure answer they are looking for. Name me a QB that sat their first two years to become a franchise QB.

It’s s a little different with covid. There was no offseason where the colts could get s good look at him. No preseason games and very few practice snaps. They can feel good about him but actually making him the staring in sept would be. Big risk.  

Archived