Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I think if they really feel good about Eason, Rivers wont be back. They are not gonna talk bad about the QB the just drafted. How the offseason unfolds will tell us. If a young QB needs more than one season to developed he isn't the sure answer they are looking for. Name me a QB that sat their first two years to become a franchise QB.

Aaron Rodgers, this year’s likely MVP, sat for three years behind Favre. Rivers sat for two years behind Brees. 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It would be pretty funny if Colts fans spend millions of hours analyzing potential trades and draft picks and the Colts simply start Eason. 

I personally think Colts should find franchise QB in draft. Just look at the QBs left in AFC playoffs, assuming Steelers lose—Allen, Mahomes, Mayfield and Lamar.  Three from class of 2018 and one from 2017.  The only problem is that you might have to take a step back for a year or two and Reich said he doesn’t want to do that.  So keep Rivers for one more year to develop the new rookie or Eason while continuing to win games. You’d likely get to playoffs again and hit SB perhaps the following year. 

If Colts decide to take a risk with another vet, I’d again try to limit length of contract so Colts don’t get stuck in a bad situation. 

On 1/6/2021 at 11:11 AM, Nickster said:

I don't know about that Chloe.  It's always a crapshoot, we will be drafting low, and we have pretty good talent.  Brady and Tannehill are recent retreads that have taken their teams up several levels.  There are several other examples of "retreads" improving teams.

It's still a bad place that we are in at the QB position long term, unless we've hit on Eason or we do sign a vet that has some mojo left.

this is a very good QB draft class at the top. 

Brady is a 6x champ and he’s surrounded by talent everywhere. Tanny is just playing off of Henry with play action.

On 1/5/2021 at 10:26 AM, chickenMan said:

We would be trading for him, so I’m not sure he would have a choice, would he? I’m pretty sure that would entirely be up to the Lions front office

Generally speaking if a team trades a player like Stafford they allow him some leeway to pick who his is traded to.  

Rank them in order of what you would like to see.   Be realistic though. . . Also consider what might have to be given up to get to that point.

1. Re-sign Rivers and Draft Trey Lance as QB of future - This makes the most sense to me.  Give Lance a year and a mentor while Rivers keeps us in the hunt.  Lance is mobile

2. Matt Stafford - I would almost consider this 1B.  Stafford could give us probably 5 years without too much worry about decline.  His contract is reasonable, I would consider him an improvement on Rivers because he has a lot more arm strength.  

3. Carson Wentz - His contract is a bit on the risky side, but not as risky as others tend to think and he had 2 years of over 100 passer rating including 1 under Reich.  I'm pretty confident that his play would turn around if he played for the Colts.  And he is young enough the Colts could build around him. 

4. Just Draft Trey Lance and start him - Problem is we are going to take our lumps starting a rookie QB and might have a year where he holds the team back with rookie mistakes.  But he is accurate, has a strong arm, takes care of the football (42 TD's 0 Ints), is mobile and has adequate size.  Downsides are potentially a 1 year wonder and played only in the FCS.  

5. Just Re-sign Rivers - I'm ok with this, Rivers did well but what he brings to the table is mostly experience and decent to good passing from the pocket.   His arm strength by now is below average for an NFL starter.  No doubt he makes the most of it but it's still limiting because there are windows he can't hit with lower zip on his passes.  His mobility is also an issue and he dependent upon good protection.  I don't consider it a coincidence that at least 2 of our losses came in games in which we were missing a starting tackle.  

And lets be honest his lack of mobility takes a lot out of the playbook.  Draws are out. . . bootlegs are out.  He can keep us in the hunt but I don't feel very confident he can put us over the top in the playoffs.  

Ideas I hate: Darnold, Trubiski. . . pretty much the idea of grabbing some QB who never even had a single good year and thinking you are going to turn him around.  

Stafford would be fantastic.  Keep Eason to learn from him.

Let's face it, we really don't know what we have in Eason.  College is so much different than the pros.  Lance could be a Josh Allen or a Josh Rosen, so he's another question mark just like Eason.

Going with a proven QB in Stafford and finding out if we have anything in Eason seems like the smart play to me.

I've got Darnold way ahead of Wentz. Wentz to me is a broken QB with injury problems, Darnold is a gifted QB who's system has failed him IMHO. I think with the help of Reich and Sirianni Darnold could become special. I do like Trey Lance quite a bit and we would really be fortunate to get him if he falls down to us since he was looked at as the 2nd best QB until he only got to play one game this season and then guys like Wilson and Trask came out.

I'm an ex-Charger fan. So I'm biased. I think  Philip Rivers remains the best option. He knows the team better now than he did when the season began. The first loss to the Jaguars happened because it was his first game on a new team. He made a couple of bad throws. Had the Colts played some warmup games, the team likely comes away with a victory.

Another game the Colts should have won was against the Steelers. They lost it because the referees quite clealy made a decision to award the game to one of the NFL's most profitable franchises. They did it to make Steelers fans,  who are more numerous, happy. If the refs call that game fairly, the Colts win that one, too.

When you talk about kicking Rivers out the door for someone  else, remember you are asking to get rid of the qb for a team that could very easily have been 13-3 this year.

Id take Watson in a second for whatever they were asking but anyone who thinks they are trading within the division sorry Billy o stooge isn't their anymore its not going to happen. 

1- Stafford easily the second best quarterback that maybe available

2- Darnold could be the next Tannehill now that Gase is gone

3- Eason should get a chance

4- Resign Rivers and draft a QB

2 hours ago, gspdx said:

I think we have seen what Rivers has to offer and I would be surprised if we would see anything different next year.

I think Rivers limits the offense is very real and tangible ways, and because of that, I feel ready to move on.

But the Colts haven't had stability at QB since 2014. Luck missed nine games in 2015, and we played six different QBs. Luck started all but one game in 2016, then missed all of 2017. He started all of 2018, then abruptly retired, leaving JB as the starter for 2019. Then we replaced JB with Rivers in 2020. Reich has had three different starting QBs in three seasons, with tough circumstances leading into each season. We've kind of been a mess at QB since Luck started getting hurt.

I think there's something to be said for some predictability at QB in 2021. While I think Rivers holds the offense back in some ways, he's still good enough for us to compete and beat good teams. If we improve at WR, our passing game could even get a boost. And this is probably the most realistic option. The only thing undetermined at this point is whether Rivers wants to keep playing.

If we don't have a clear shot at an obvious improvement -- without giving up major future assets -- then it should probably be Rivers. Along the way, the pass defense needs to get better, from pass rush to coverage. And most importantly, we need a succession plan at QB, so either we need to see something from Eason, or we need to add another QB who can take over for Rivers in 2022.

Now, if Rivers retires, then my first options are Stafford and Wentz.

5 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

1a. Watson

1b. Rodgers

2. Lawrence

3. Stafford

4. Lance

5. Wilson

6. Darnold

7. Fields

8. Jones

9. Rivers

10. Wentz

EDIT: Forgot about Mac Jones

Watson, Rodgers, and Lawrence arn't happening.

Watson wouldn't be traded in the division.  The Pack are extremely unlikely to trade Rodgers after he just had an MVP caliber year, the Jags are going to draft Lawrence at #1 overall and that's just it.  

16 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Aaron Rodgers, this year’s likely MVP, sat for three years behind Favre. Rivers sat for two years behind Brees. 

I always wondered how charger fans felt about brees.  Were you upset at how well he did after he left and did you root for him?

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Pederson getting the boot in Philly seems to indicate that they’re doubling down with Wentz, so it seems safe to put that whole idea to bed, at least for now. 

Not necessarily. They have zero cap space, and could be looking to move the contract.

Houston should take an interest cause I don’t want the colts to go anywhere near wentz 

20 minutes ago, Mrfox said:

Not necessarily. They have zero cap space, and could be looking to move the contract.

Houston should take an interest cause I don’t want the colts to go anywhere near wentz 

Trading his contract only frees up $400k.

Colin Cowherd today said this colts team will never be the 7 seed again. He was impressed with how much talent we have. Him and joy just mentioned how the colts are just that QB away. We are just missing that sparkle at QB. Venturi tonight on colts round table said this is the perfect time to get that QB for 22. We are in that same situation as KC was in. We really should bring rivers back a year and go get that QB for 22.  

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Colin Cowherd today said this colts team will never be the 7 seed again. He was impressed with how much talent we have. Him and joy just mentioned how the colts are just that QB away. We are just missing that sparkle at QB. Venturi tonight on colts round table said this is the perfect time to get that QB for 22. We are in that same situation as KC was in. We really should bring rivers back a year and go get that QB for 22.  

if Colts bring back Rivers next year draft Trey Lance for 22

Something else Zak Keefer mentioned on JMV was he hears lots of chatter how the colts are a very popular stop for QB. They want to play here. Could have an effect on say players like Dak or any that might be traceable. 

I don’t get the fascination with Stafford. Yes the lions haven’t been great but he has never carried a team. Good QB lift their teams up.

Seeing that all four QB left in the AFC are the new kids it stresses even more sense finding the young guy. Mayfield, Allen, and Jackson all selected in 18 and Mahomes the year before. Baker is the oldest one left. I laughed out loud at Mike Chappell on the blue zone. The AFC has all the youth and the NFC except for Goff is the battle of the 40 year olds. That was hillarious and true. Bree’s, Brady, and Rodgers. Rodgers isn’t 40 yet but close.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This. It would be a great way to get them experience heading into 22.  

The only problem i have with resigning Phil is the cost. I think Mr Ballard is going to earn his rep this offseason. He has some juggernaut decisions to make.

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Watson, Rodgers, and Lawrence arn't happening.

Watson wouldn't be traded in the division.  The Pack are extremely unlikely to trade Rodgers after he just had an MVP caliber year, the Jags are going to draft Lawrence at #1 overall and that's just it.  

I realize that.  This is my wish list.

10 hours ago, FormerBolt said:

I'm an ex-Charger fan. So I'm biased. I think  Philip Rivers remains the best option. He knows the team better now than he did when the season began. The first loss to the Jaguars happened because it was his first game on a new team. He made a couple of bad throws. Had the Colts played some warmup games, the team likely comes away with a victory.

Another game the Colts should have won was against the Steelers. They lost it because the referees quite clealy made a decision to award the game to one of the NFL's most profitable franchises. They did it to make Steelers fans,  who are more numerous, happy. If the refs call that game fairly, the Colts win that one, too.

When you talk about kicking Rivers out the door for someone  else, remember you are asking to get rid of the qb for a team that could very easily have been 13-3 this year.

Why did your ex-team let him go? Do you think they were right?

On 1/10/2021 at 8:29 PM, TimetobringDfence! said:

I think if they really feel good about Eason, Rivers wont be back. They are not gonna talk bad about the QB the just drafted. How the offseason unfolds will tell us. If a young QB needs more than one season to developed he isn't the sure answer they are looking for. Name me a QB that sat their first two years to become a franchise QB.

Brett Favre.

Archived