Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

19 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I just think that mobility is a luxury not a neccesity. Brady, Rothlisberger, Brees, and several other continually successful QBs are not mobile.  They all move around and step up in the pocket, but so does Rivers, and they all run pretty good offenses.

Rivers is actually very good at stepping up, but boy he does look incompetent going sideways.  Giraffe on a hockey rink awkward.

None of those guys run effectively (anymore; Ben used to be a freight train), but they're all more mobile in the pocket than Rivers, and they all navigate pressure better than he does (Ben and Brees falling off a bit, Brady is still a great mover in the pocket). Rivers is trying to move in mud, and once he gets disrupted you can shut the play down. 

I don't need Deshaun Watson, just want someone who isn't fixed to a platform.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Superman said:

None of those guys run effectively (anymore; Ben used to be a freight train), but they're all more mobile in the pocket than Rivers, and they all navigate pressure better than he does (Ben and Brees falling off a bit, Brady is still a great mover in the pocket). Rivers is trying to move in mud, and once he gets disrupted you can shut the play down. 

Ben had 200 yds 1 year on like 35 carries.  He's never been a running QB.  Now he is an absolute wonder at shedding tacklers and moving around.  Dude must be the functionally strongest QB in NFL history.  

So you are completely in favor of moving on from PR?  I can't remember what your views are on this.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Over the last seven seasons, he's had a pretty good INT %, a good enough TD/INT ratio, and at the same time kept up a good yards/attempt. That suggests he's a productive playmaker who can make plays without turning the ball over. Also, for a team that hasn't won a whole lot of games, Stafford has led a lot of 4th quarter comebacks (he sliced up the Colts pretty good in the 2016 opener for one of them). 

People talked about Rivers being able to benefit from a good OL and a good run game (and now we have a relatively good defense), but there were major questions about Rivers arm, age and mobility as well. I don't think those questions exist for Stafford. So if Rivers could be endorsed, people should be able to get behind Stafford twice as quickly.

I'd be all about bringing Stafford to the Colts. The question is about the overall cost to the team.

I'd endorse Stafford if Reich and Ballard decide to bring him in, but I think I have other options I prefer. (Go get your guy from the draft... or potentially Wentz depending on the price). 

What are your current thoughts and preferences? Did you have time to watch any of the QBs from the draft? 

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Ben had 200 yds 1 year on like 35 carries.  He's never been a running QB.  Now he is an absolute wonder at shedding tacklers and moving around.  Dude must be the functionally strongest QB in NFL history.  

So you are completely in favor of moving on from PR?  I can't remember what your views are on this.

I'm torn on keeping Rivers. I'm fine with keeping him, but I think his lack of mobility limits the effectiveness of the offense. 

I also don't want to keep changing the QB every year, but Rivers was always going to be a short term patch. We need to be preparing for whatever comes next.

And I think Stafford would be a great fit, if he comes available, and I would expect the Colts to seriously consider him in that case. Same for Wentz.

Just now, stitches said:

I'd endorse Stafford if Reich and Ballard decide to bring him in, but I think I have other options I prefer. (Go get your guy from the draft... or potentially Wentz depending on the price). 

What are your current thoughts and preferences? Did you have time to watch any of the QBs from the draft? 

I've seen some games, but no real watching. I was very impressed by Fields, though.

I guess I wonder if I'd rather trade multiple picks to get in range for a top QB prospect (who will be a major question mark), or trade one first for a guy like Stafford, or work out a deal for Wentz.

Stafford is probably at the top of my list for potentially available veterans.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm torn on keeping Rivers. I'm fine with keeping him, but I think his lack of mobility limits the effectiveness of the offense. 

I also don't want to keep changing the QB every year, but Rivers was always going to be a short term patch. We need to be preparing for whatever comes next.

And I think Stafford would be a great fit, if he comes available, and I would expect the Colts to seriously consider him in that case. Same for Wentz.

I feel like he's our best option of those three for next year, but who knows.  Personally, Wentz is more appealing to me than Stafford.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm not as concerned about Wentz' ability as others seem to be. Maybe I should be, but I'm not.

I'm in the same bucket with you. He maintained high level of play for too long even after his injury for me to think he's shot. I think he's just in a serious mental funk right now and he needs a reset. 

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

I've seen some games, but no real watching. I was very impressed by Fields, though.

I guess I wonder if I'd rather trade multiple picks to get in range for a top QB prospect (who will be a major question mark), or trade one first for a guy like Stafford, or work out a deal for Wentz.

Stafford is probably at the top of my list for potentially available veterans.

For me the answer is very clear if you love a player in the draft - go get him. Even if it costs multiple future assets. Having a good QB on rookie deal beats everything and very soon we will need that cap flexibility when our young players become due for contract extensions. Sure, it introduces some uncertainty, but the benefits are too high. 

I'm low key praying the Jets do something stupid and decide to give Darnold another chance and we have inside track to that pick(because of our connections to their FO and multiple previous deals with them). I'd easily give up next year's first and a couple of seconds to get to a position to draft Fields or Wilson. 

On 1/5/2021 at 1:48 PM, coltsblue1844 said:

Stafford is just about 1 year older than Andrew Luck... we wouldnt be switching every year, he could play here for a good 7-8 years (so the full window of our core young players).  We could actually build around him, and he is WAY better than anyone we could draft in the 20s this year, at any position, and it is not even close.  So trading our 1st for him would be no different than trading our 1st last year for Buckner... you're using that 1st for a SURE THING instead of using it on a gamble towards potential

Not every QB is going to be Brees, Brady, and Rivers playing into their late 30’s/early 40’s. Staffor could be done In 3 years for all we know. A 1st rounder isn’t worth it for him.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not every QB is going to be Brees, Brady, and Rivers playing into their late 30’s/early 40’s. Staffor could be done In 3 years for all we know. A 1st rounder isn’t worth it for him.

I'll take my chances on Stafford vs a back of the 1st rd draft choice who hasn't taken a snap yet.  Read an article in BR last week regarding which 1st rd draft choices are likely to have their 5th yr option picked up this year.  Close to half of the 2nd half of that years draft will not.  I would trade it for the sure thing in Stafford just like Ballard did for Buckner.  And last years pick was no. 13.  This years pick is much further back.  Of course we don't even know if he's available but if he is I would do it in a heartbeat.  

If i were the lions i would want more than a first for matt Stafford.  do they really need to move him that badly or even at all?  id make someone blow me away with an offer to trade him.

i have no idea what a deal for wentz would look like but he supposedly wants out and prefers the colts.

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yes, yes and yes. Highly doubtful they would ever let him go to a division rival, but man, I would take Watson in a heartbeat. 

I would gladly take Watson over a second year of Rivers. There’s no comparison between those two players right now

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

It's all perspective. If we win a super bowl within the next 3-4 years, it's worth every penny.  We have the roster built to win a Super Bowl. We are a QB and Edge rusher away.

I would like Stafford. My only concern is he tends to get injured almost every year now it feels like

BR did an article today on realistic trades that could happen.  They are saying the Jets will reportedly make a blockbuster transaction that would dictate the draft.  According to ESPN's Adam Scheftler the Jets are prepared to trade Sam  Darnold or the No. 2 pick.  If they keep the pick they will draft a QB and trade Darnold.  They suggest a realistic destination and partner is the Colts.  BR suggests we would trade our 3rd pick and Ben Banogu for Darnold.  The Jets were 20th in sacks and QB pressures last season and Banogu (our 2nd rd. 2019 pick) would have the opportunity to play more snaps and realize his potential with the Jets.  Darnold age 23 would replace Rivers.  A trade for Darnold would be my 2nd choice if we couldn't get Stafford.  I think this proposal is a fair trade.  We shall see. 

54 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

BR did an article today on realistic trades that could happen.  They are saying the Jets will reportedly make a blockbuster transaction that would dictate the draft.  According to ESPN's Adam Scheftler the Jets are prepared to trade Sam  Darnold or the No. 2 pick.  If they keep the pick they will draft a QB and trade Darnold.  They suggest a realistic destination and partner is the Colts.  BR suggests we would trade our 3rd pick and Ben Banogu for Darnold.  The Jets were 20th in sacks and QB pressures last season and Banogu (our 2nd rd. 2019 pick) would have the opportunity to play more snaps and realize his potential with the Jets.  Darnold age 23 would replace Rivers.  A trade for Darnold would be my 2nd choice if we couldn't get Stafford.  I think this proposal is a fair trade.  We shall see. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but is Banogu one of the players we got in the Darnold trade?

On 1/6/2021 at 1:59 PM, Superman said:

If Dak was willing to take a one year discount prove it deal to earn a big contract. I would like to get him. We would be instant contenders.

I'm curious with draft and FA if Rivers retires what are yalls top 3 options at QB 

Here's mine...

1. Mac Jones 

2. Matthew Stafford 

3.  Jacob Eason/Trey Lance 

I love Jones and think he would be a no brainer in 1st. He's very accurate and I think he could be solid NFL starter.

I am hesitant on throwing 1st away for Stafford but he might be worth it

Eason and Lance are 3rd cause I'm not sure if either would ready come 21 but I do like both.

12 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

if Colts somehow got Darnold for 4th Colts would destroy Jets on trade overall. 

I wouldn't go higher than 4 though. Darnold isn't worth more.

He certainly is.  That's why it won't be a 4th.  Ballard has said for a trade to work it has to be a win win for both sides.  Don't forget he has connections with the Jets.  Ballard values his relationships around the league. That's why his reputation is so high.  He didn't get it by trying to stick it to other GM's.  Ballard wouldn't do that. That's how you ruin relationships and friendships.  You don't acquire good players by always trying to go cheap.  We paid for Buckner and it was worth it.  Both sides were happy.  If we trade for a QB I'm expecting Ballard to pay what is necessary for both sides to be happy.  QB is the most important position.  You don't risk not getting the guy you want by going cheap.  The current market will dictate the price.  And he will pay it to get his guy.  

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Trevor Lawrence could be done in 3 years...would you give up a 1st for him?   It's the NFL, nothing is promised as far as how long a player will play...or if the "stud with super high potential" will every pan out in the league as a decent player.  Using a 1st round pick on the closest to a sure thing, when you have a team ready to win now/the next few years, is better in my opinion than hoping that #20something pick turns out to be a star.

If Luck had not retired, and played another year...and you were running another team in need of a QB...would you trade a 20 something first round pick for him? If you didnt know he would retire, obviously... because Stafford is the same age as what Luck would have been, had he played one more season, in that scenario.  

On 1/6/2021 at 12:59 PM, Superman said:

Bingo!!!!!! 

Colts should not entertain Rivers for 2021, however it will be difficult. Here is why...

14-15 other teams potentially need QB's

Atlanta needs a QB... Ryan will still be QB but replacement (drafted) is coming

Detroit needs a QB... Stafford won't be leaving and will still be QB but replacement (drafted) is coming

Washington needs a QB... Heinicke might get a real shot though. Allen backs up, Smith retires or replacement

Philadelphia needs a QB.. Hurts might be the guy, Wentz might leave or they go elsewhere or keep both.

Denver needs a QB.. Locke doesn't seem to be the correct choice here

Bears need a QB.. Trubisky seemed to play slightly better and tonight's game against Saints will go a long way. ?? Foles will retire, he's done

Vikings need a QB... Bring Cousins back or go elsewhere....??

Jets need a QB... Stay with Dalton or draft again?... Dalton might become available

Raiders need a QB... Carr improved however Gruden might not be sold. Mariota sucks, Carr might be traded

Patriots need a QB... Newton sucks. Stidham sucks. Pats will draft or sign Dalton imo

Colts need a QB... Eason only rostered and will not be it. Brissett moves on,.....Rivers?? 

Jags need a QB... will draft 1st overall, Minshew stays on

Panthers need a QB... Bridgewater is not good enough and will be replaced, Walker stays on

Giants need a QB... Jones might be salvageable however G-Men might look another way.

Steelers need a QB.. Ben is done. Dobbs and Rudolph are not the answer here.

Saints need a QB... Drew will be replaced. Saints might stay in-house with Winston and/or Hill

Dolphins need a QB... Most likely will give TUA another season though I'm not sold on him as of yet.

Texans... recent news puts them here. Although I believe Watson will be there.

Buccaneers need a QB... Brady will be replaced, might not be this year although one could be drafted.

That's 14 or 15 teams needing QB's in some form and another 4-5 who might address in 2021.

QB's who might be potential starters available in 2021

Wentz

Stafford (won't be leaving Detroit imo)

Darnold (maybe)

Carr

Dalton

A. Smith (if he doesn't retire)

Trubisky

Bridgewater (maybe) 

Newton

Rivers

I'm not going to add backups like Brissett, Glennon, Fitz, etc..

If Colts don't draft a QB, then who from that list.....?

Based on drafting at like 23-26, I don't see a QB not being a project available to us. 

Only one's worth a chance to me in potential trade scenario or FA are Wentz, Dalton, and Darnold. 

Colt's might be stuck....

I'm all in on Stafford. He's arguably one of the most under rated QB's on this generation. If the rumors are true that the Lions want to go in a different direction, he's the guy I'd target. Would definitely be the least risk, and most seemless transition. I'm all for still looking to draft a franchise guy, but this team is built to win now, anyone we draft right now, still won't be ready for a few years.

5 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I'm all in on Stafford. He's arguably one of the most under rated QB's on this generation. If the rumors are true that the Lions want to go in a different direction, he's the guy I'd target. Would definitely be the least risk, and most seemless transition. I'm all for still looking to draft a franchise guy, but this team is built to win now, anyone we draft right now, still won't be ready for a few years.

Agreed.  And much like the Texans and Watson, he's NOT going to land inside the division, and likely not inside the conference, which means an AFC team.  What team would make more sense than the Colts?

McAfee and Stafford:

Aaron Rodgers, a regular on Pat's show, talks up Stafford.   Pat worships Rodgers, so I would guess that is the #1 thing influencing him.

I'll also say Pat is usually off on anything like this.  Stafford could happen, I suppose, but personnel wise, Pat doesn't have a great feel for things.  He's said some pretty questionable stuff.  

Archived