Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Imagine...

JPFolks

Just imagine for a moment.  

We saw a significant emergence of our first 3 picks in the draft last year.  

Pittman Jr.  showed what he can be in a key game, in the national spotlight, against a top playoff team.  He also scores his first TD.  He's our #1 WR. 

Taylor showed what he can be in a key game, in the national spotlight, against a top playoff team.  He runs guys over for perhaps his best 2 runs of the season right up the middle.  Bellcow RB!

Blackmon showed what he can be in a key game, in the national spotlight, against a top playoff team.  His play in overtime alone makes a case for DRotY yet again.  All Pro isn't impossible.

So, just imagine if quietly, behind the scenes, they also hit on their 4th pick.  What if, outside fan and media scrutiny, we have a monster QB just waiting for his turn as well?  Mahommes sat all but one game his rookie year. 

P.S.  Our rookie kicker also showed clutch genes with kick after kick.  Even his miss was nearly dead center.  As pressure mounted, he didn't flinch. 

Can they step it up in the biggest game, pre playoffs, left this season next Sunday?  Let's go Colts!

They are playing great.  We will find out more next year about Eason.  It appears that Ballard has definitely hit on the 2018 and 2020 drafts.   2019 draft seems solid and has provided two starters(Ya Sin/Willis) with a possible 3rd and 4th in Campbell and Okereke.  Overall great job.  This next draft will show Ballard and his scouting departments ability.  A shortened college season will make it tougher to evaluate player potential but I believe this is the front office for the job.  

54 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Just imagine for a moment.  

We saw a significant emergence of our first 3 picks in the draft last year.  

Pittman Jr.  showed what he can be in a key game, in the national spotlight, against a top playoff team.  He also scores his first TD.  He's our #1 WR. 

Taylor showed what he can be in a key game, in the national spotlight, against a top playoff team.  He runs guys over for perhaps his best 2 runs of the season right up the middle.  Bellcow RB!

Blackmon showed what he can be in a key game, in the national spotlight, against a top playoff team.  His play in overtime alone makes a case for DRotY yet again.  All Pro isn't impossible.

So, just imagine if quietly, behind the scenes, they also hit on their 4th pick.  What if, outside fan and media scrutiny, we have a monster QB just waiting for his turn as well?  Mahommes sat all but one game his rookie year. 

P.S.  Our rookie kicker also showed clutch genes with kick after kick.  Even his miss was nearly dead center.  As pressure mounted, he didn't flinch. 

Can they step it up in the biggest game, pre playoffs, left this season next Sunday?  Let's go Colts!

Man really all of ballads last three drafts have been solid. His biggest mistake since he’s been here has been taking Malik Hooker in the First round. A mid first round at that. But I think that was more Pagano pushing for him than Chris Ballard given how Pagano liked his DBs.

that said. Hitting on your top 5 draft picks in a single year would be historic.  I say 5 because  of Buckner, definitely won that trade. Taylor, Pitman and Blackmon are gonna be solid contributing starters barring anything bad happening.  Eason, I hope we eventually see. I think our moves in the off season will tell. If we resign Rivers and let Brissett go and don’t sign or draft a QB, we know that Eason is the future, if we keep both Rivers and Brissett or let Rivers go but resign Brissett, we know they still aren’t ready to hand the reigns to Eason. If they don’t resign either rivers or Brissett and draft a QB, well then it’s anyone’s guess depending on who that draftee is.

either way, there’s not been a draft pick other than Hooker that I would consider a bust or a mistake since Ballard’s time here. 

but that also depends on Campbells return too as he’s not far behind Hooker right now

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Man really all of ballads last three drafts have been solid. His biggest mistake since he’s been here has been taking Malik Hooker in the First round. A mid first round at that. But I think that was more Pagano pushing for him than Chris Ballard given how Pagano liked his DBs.

I'm not ready to write off Hooker. His PPF grades if I recall were not terrible. He played last year surrounded by a rookie corner and a corner that was shipped to the Jets and I believe mostly a rookie SS and a DL that was not near as good as last year. Buckner has been a huge improvement and has made everyone around him better especially Stewart. Rhodes has been terrific and Ya Sin is greatly improved as is our 2nd year SS. If I recall Blackmon was drafted as a SS which he played in college which if Hooker is resigned could put then both on the field at the same time.

Hooker got some bad raps last year on a few long bombs that turned out to be blown coverages by the DBs. Not saying Hooker will be an all pro for us or that we will even resign him but I do think he can be a good FS in the league.

I have been defending him quite often but no, I am not related to him,:D

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

but that also depends on Campbells return too as he’s not far behind Hooker right now

I wouldn't put Campbell anywhere near Hooker at this time.  He was drafted later.   He's been injured with legitimate injuries.  It's hard to blame the GM for that when he didn't have a history of injuries in his past.  Now if Ballard would have taken Metcalf (I wish he would have), who had a neck fracture that ended his college career, and Metcalf would have missed much of 2 seasons with neck issues, it could be placed on the GM for that choice. 

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

I wouldn't put Campbell anywhere near Hooker at this time.  He was drafted later.   He's been injured with legitimate injuries.  It's hard to blame the GM for that when he didn't have a history of injuries in his past.  Now if Ballard would have taken Metcalf (I wish he would have), who had a neck fracture that ended his college career, and Metcalf would have missed much of 2 seasons with neck issues, it could be placed on the GM for that choice. 

I know there are a few that are enamored with Metcalf but after watching him I couldn't help but notice he had an issue with drop passes. I haven't seen all of his games so I cant say it is a huge issue but it was in his last game.

Lockett is all around better than Metcalf.  

I may eat my words but right now I would take Pittman over Metcalf. I think Pittman has better hands.

Yeah, it's still crazy to me that there are still Ballard doubters out there. No GM is perfect and even the best GM have some misses. But few hit as many as he had in his tenure. This defense is the best it's been in quite some time and now the offense is starting to look mostly young and talented too. This big issues long term will he QB and LT. But if Eason us the guy, I'm going to start calling Ballard the GOAT lol.

The sky is the limit currently for Eason. He's unknown and unproven. That can be a good thing and a bad thing. We'll need a true, full pre-season next year to really get a feel if he's our future or not. 

Because of that, a lot of interesting decisions will have to be made this offseason in the spring. Roll with Rivers and company for another year? Draft another QB and have them duke it out for the starting role? 

We're in uncharted territory folks. 

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

that said. Hitting on your top 5 draft picks in a single year would be historic.  I say 5 because  of Buckner, definitely won that trade. Taylor, Pitman and Blackmon are gonna be solid contributing starters barring anything bad happening.  Eason, I hope we eventually see. I think our moves in the off season will tell. If we resign Rivers and let Brissett go and don’t sign or draft a QB, we know that Eason is the future, if we keep both Rivers and Brissett or let Rivers go but resign Brissett, we know they still aren’t ready to hand the reigns to Eason. If they don’t resign either rivers or Brissett and draft a QB, well then it’s anyone’s guess depending on who that draftee is.

either way, there’s not been a draft pick other than Hooker that I would consider a bust or a mistake since Ballard’s time here. 

Pagano was calling Hooker the next Ed Reed.  He fit really well in Pagano's 3-4 D as a centerfielder.  I believe he was leading the NFL in interceptions before he got hurt as a rookie and was on pace to be a serious contender for DROY and pro-bowl.  He got his first start in week 2 and had interceptions in week 2, 3, and 4 as a rookie.  He got hurt for the season in week 7.

He hasn't been bad when he's on the field.  He's showed flashes of excellence and mostly he's been a solid player, when he is on the field.  That has been his biggest issue is staying healthy, IMO.  Aside from that, he hasn't benefitted from a good D around him (e.g., last year our secondary was very young, inexperienced and definitely not as talented as this year's group, our pass rush was pretty non-existent, and our DL was a lot weaker without Buckner).

I don't think it was a terrible pick at all.  It stinks he was a first round pick and he has been injured so often.. but the injuries he had in college were a sports hernia and a torn labrum.  The injuries he has had in the NFL have been to his knee, foot and Achilles.  Not like Ballard has a crystal ball and can predict that a guy who tore his labrum in college would miss the majority of his rookie year due to an ACL/MCL and most of his 4th year to a torn Achilles.

I'd be all for the Colts giving Hooker a 1 year, prove it-type deal next year.  Personally, I think the combo of Hooker and Blackmon would be significantly better than Willis and Blackmon (if Hooker is healthy), especially if we continue to improve our pass rush next year.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

After his TD, GB started to roll a 2nd defender to him.  The Colts need someone else to step up on a regular basis.  I'm getting less confident that someone will be Hilton.

Pascal has been really steady. He is quietly going to be close to more yards then last season. Every week it’s 50 or 60 yards. Campbell is also riding the bike now. Would be nice if he is able to come back.

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

Hooker was the best player on the board at a key position that we needed help in.. just because hooker is injury prone doesn’t mean Ballard missed on that pick. Hooker was a DROY candidate before getting hurt. This was a fantastic pick by Ballard. Injuries just happened to get in the way of his career.

5 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

I'm not ready to write off Hooker. His PPF grades if I recall were not terrible. He played last year surrounded by a rookie corner and a corner that was shipped to the Jets and I believe mostly a rookie SS and a DL that was not near as good as last year. Buckner has been a huge improvement and has made everyone around him better especially Stewart. Rhodes has been terrific and Ya Sin is greatly improved as is our 2nd year SS. If I recall Blackmon was drafted as a SS which he played in college which if Hooker is resigned could put then both on the field at the same time.

Hooker got some bad raps last year on a few long bombs that turned out to be blown coverages by the DBs. Not saying Hooker will be an all pro for us or that we will even resign him but I do think he can be a good FS in the league.

I have been defending him quite often but no, I am not related to him,:D

We're not taking Willis out, he's a monster.  There's no place for Hooker to start.  Plus, coming off injury he will still want a big prove it deal.  He's likely gone HH.

5 hours ago, Myles said:

That's a very real point. He dropped for a reason.  I recall openly advocating for both Campbell and Metcalf and even mentioned his running mate who we'll get to see again on Sunday.  Campbell was always going to be Hiltons replacement, but I think we should draft another WR this year  as well as a TE. Assuming of course we don't have to draft another QB.  I think the first pick, however, has to be OT.  

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I take it youre starting to come around JP? I remember you thought this team was only going to win about 7 games max

Actually I said we had to win the Thursday game if we wanted a winning season.  We did that so now we're working towards better than 9-7. 

The GB game is the first net + win of the season. It makes up for the Jag loss. I also said Pre-Season that we would lose against a really bad team we shouldn't and win one we didn't see coming.  That has come to pass.  I didn't expect, however, for Houston to be so bad.  That is really the only big surprise this year on our schedule.

I think we may have a trap game against them, and I will predict that will happen, especially if we win against TN Sunday.  I predicted, pre season, a sweep of the tanking Jags (which they clearly are) and a split with Hou and TN.  I predicted losses against Baltimore and GB, but they swapped Cle for GB.  (Both appear to be playoff teams, so no biggie).  I think they have a very tough game on Sunday and I think they have danger in Hou especially if they get too full of themselves.   

I think Pit looks like a loss unless they have locked down their seed but with only 1 bye, that is unlikely with 2 games to go.  I said LV was a toss up that would decide if we went 9-7 or 10-6.  So in the end, we're right about where I predicted.   But it was a pretty common prediction, so not rocket science.  10-6 looks more likely than 9-7 right now.  

We shall see.  

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

After his TD, GB started to roll a 2nd defender to him.  The Colts need someone else to step up on a regular basis.  I'm getting less confident that someone will be Hilton.

I am hoping TY finishes up this season strong.  But Rivers has to get him the ball.  It would be a shame for TY to go out so negatively.  The old dog still has a few tricks left to unleash.  

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

I am hoping TY finishes up this season strong.  But Rivers has to get him the ball.  It would be a shame for TY to go out so negatively.  The old dog still has a few tricks left to unleash.  

He can have his coming out parties  versus Steelers , raiders and Texans 

4 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Pagano was calling Hooker the next Ed Reed.  He fit really well in Pagano's 3-4 D as a centerfielder.  I believe he was leading the NFL in interceptions before he got hurt as a rookie and was on pace to be a serious contender for DROY and pro-bowl.  He got his first start in week 2 and had interceptions in week 2, 3, and 4 as a rookie.  He got hurt for the season in week 7.

He hasn't been bad when he's on the field.  He's showed flashes of excellence and mostly he's been a solid player, when he is on the field.  That has been his biggest issue is staying healthy, IMO.  Aside from that, he hasn't benefitted from a good D around him (e.g., last year our secondary was very young, inexperienced and definitely not as talented as this year's group, our pass rush was pretty non-existent, and our DL was a lot weaker without Buckner).

I don't think it was a terrible pick at all.  It stinks he was a first round pick and he has been injured so often.. but the injuries he had in college were a sports hernia and a torn labrum.  The injuries he has had in the NFL have been to his knee, foot and Achilles.  Not like Ballard has a crystal ball and can predict that a guy who tore his labrum in college would miss the majority of his rookie year due to an ACL/MCL and most of his 4th year to a torn Achilles.

I'd be all for the Colts giving Hooker a 1 year, prove it-type deal next year.  Personally, I think the combo of Hooker and Blackmon would be significantly better than Willis and Blackmon (if Hooker is healthy), especially if we continue to improve our pass rush next year.

Keep in mind Hooker has to WANT to come back. He'll probably end up in Pitt to pair with Minkah.  That would be hard core!

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Pascal has been really steady. He is quietly going to be close to more yards then last season. Every week it’s 50 or 60 yards. Campbell is also riding the bike now. Would be nice if he is able to come back.

I have always been a Pascal fan. just as the 4th WR, not 1st!

2 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I always forget about Eason.. Here I am always thinking we are so good everywhere but we have an aging QB.. but we have someone just brewing lol. does he have good mobility? 

Well, compared to what we have, pretty much any athlete in their 20s will be more mobile. 

2 hours ago, bestQBever said:

If Ballard hits on Eason too, he is probably a top 5 GM of all time

I still think we need to win a championship or get deep multiple years in the playoffs first. He's 1-1 in the Postseason so far. Let's see where we end up. 

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I know there are a few that are enamored with Metcalf but after watching him I couldn't help but notice he had an issue with drop passes. I haven't seen all of his games so I cant say it is a huge issue but it was in his last game.

Lockett is all around better than Metcalf.  

I may eat my words but right now I would take Pittman over Metcalf. I think Pittman has better hands.

For what it's worth I live in Spokane and see all of the Seahawks games.  Metcalf is usually pretty reliable and I was surprised to see the drops this week.  But, who knows.  He still needs some work.  Lockett is more dependable.  He is fast, runs good routes, and catches just about everything around him.

6 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Keep in mind Hooker has to WANT to come back. He'll probably end up in Pitt to pair with Minkah.  That would be hard core!

That is true.  He has said he'd like to remain a Colt (but of course, why would he say otherwise when still under contract).  It may be beneficial to us that he was hurt as he probably won't be the one setting his market price (i.e., it's not like he's coming off an all-pro year and can demand top $, he's going to have to sign a relatively short term deal with minimal guarantees and more incentive-based).  

TBH, if he left Indy, I tend to think his most likely destination would be Chicago to reunite w/ Pagano.

2 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I always forget about Eason.. Here I am always thinking we are so good everywhere but we have an aging QB.. but we have someone just brewing lol. does he have good mobility? 

Go watch his freshman highlights from Georgia. Much better then anyone has given him credit for. He is actually pretty athletic. Didn’t show much of that with the system at WA.

21 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I hope you're right.  I have Hilton on my fantasy team and I keep starting him because I keep thinking this will be the week he explodes. :)

4 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

He also had the least balls thrown to his zone or something like that his 2nd year.  He was really good.  Achilles is a mother of an injury though.

Archived