Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darnold is sitting Vs the Dolphins. Should the Colts make an offer for him now?

Earlier today, it was reported that Darnold is sitting Vs the Dolphins this Sunday. After the Bengals, we have a bye week, and Darnold could have plenty of time to learn the playbook. I'm guessing with the release of Bell as well, they have officially gone to tank mode. Is now the time to offer them a trade? I'd offer them Rivers (pay his entire contract) and a 3rd round pick for Darnold. Would it be enough? I believe so as there was another report by schefter a few days ago that said the Jets were unlikely to get a 1st rounder for Darnold. This allows us to dump Rivers to a team that needs a QB to finish the year, and we get our possible franchise QB of the future without breaking the bank. We can even start Brissett for one game Vs the Bengals and probably win if Darnold needs a few weeks to learn the playbook.

I think now is the perfect opportunity to get Darnold based on both ours and the Jets situation. What do you think below?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I just don't see that happening. I think the Colts have hitched their wagons to rivers till the end of the season. 

I hope you're wrong. This is remincient of the Jacoby Brissett situation last year where we fell off in the 2nd half and missed the playoffs. It seems like a very predictable rest of the season to me if we keep Rivers with the brutal 2nd half schedule. Then Eason probably won't get any playing time either and we'll have the same situation with Eason as we had with Kelly. Bunch of insanity with this coach and GM. Lets see if they make the same mistake two years in a row.

23 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Earlier today, it was reported that Darnold is sitting Vs the Dolphins this Sunday. After the Bengals, we have a bye week, and Darnold could have plenty of time to learn the playbook. I'm guessing with the release of Bell as well, they have officially gone to tank mode. Is now the time to offer them a trade? I'd offer them Rivers (pay his entire contract) and a 3rd round pick for Darnold. Would it be enough? I believe so as there was another report by schefter a few days ago that said the Jets were unlikely to get a 1st rounder for Darnold. This allows us to dump Rivers to a team that needs a QB to finish the year, and we get our possible franchise QB of the future without breaking the bank. We can even start Brissett for one game Vs the Bengals and probably win if Darnold needs a few weeks to learn the playbook.

I think now is the perfect opportunity to get Darnold based on both ours and the Jets situation. What do you think below?

Did they give a reason why Darnold is sitting? (besides tanking)

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Did they give a reason why Darnold is sitting? (besides tanking)

They said he was hurt, but most Jets fans think he is milking the injury and even possibly got advice from his parents or his agent to do so. That's how bad Adam Gase is and how toxic the Jets are.

If the Jets are in full tank mode, which I believe they are at the top, then why would they trade for Rivers? He’s not a tank commander. They are going to move forward throwing Flacco to the wolves, giving him absolutely no help, not that it would matter much if they did because he’s washed, and they will try to move any assets they have (not many). Gase is a dead man walking and will now just be a figurehead until they can him and try to rebuild in the offseason. They will more than likely have the first overall pick as long as they don’t fire Gase until the end of the year and keep Flacco starting. Darnold will get moved in the offseason. His value is as low as it can get right now but in the offseason, someone will want to try him as a reclamation project. I don’t want anything to do with that, but someone will. My preliminary bet is he goes down to Jerruh world and Dak leaves. 

2 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Darnold may be broken mentally.  I'd be wary of assuming hes the same player they drafted.  Guy "sees ghosts"......

If Darnold is broken, it's because of Adam Gase, the guy who "breaks everyone" until they leave or he gets fired. Quick list of guys who have done better away from Gase: Tannehill, Drake, Robby Anderson, Osemele, Gesicki, Parker. That's just on offense. Gase is a talent killer. I'd happily take the chance Sam would be better on the Colts in a competent organization.

3 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

If the Jets are in full tank mode, which I believe they are at the top, then why would they trade for Rivers? He’s not a tank commander. They are going to move forward throwing Flacco to the wolves, giving him absolutely no help, not that it would matter much if they did because he’s washed, and they will try to move any assets they have (not many). Gase is a dead man walking and will now just be a figurehead until they can him and try to rebuild in the offseason. They will more than likely have the first overall pick as long as they don’t fire Gase until the end of the year and keep Flacco starting. Darnold will get moved in the offseason. His value is as low as it can get right now but in the offseason, someone will want to try him as a reclamation project. I don’t want anything to do with that, but someone will. My preliminary bet is he goes down to Jerruh world and Dak leaves. 

Rivers would literally just be a throw in for a year to replace Darnold for the Jets, and we would pay his entire contract in my trade offer. If the Jets are losing by 20 points with Darnold at QB, they are going 0-16 hypothetically with Rivers as well. Gase will get fired at the end of the year, and like you said, is being used to ensure the tank.

Right now is the perfect opportunity to not only rid ourselves of a $25 million dollar mistake, but to get a QB that has potential to be "the guy" for a reasonable discount because of an inept organization.

This is what GMs such as Chris Ballard should be doing to inept teams like the Jets. Buying their talent at a discount and using it to the Colts advantage. Ballard has said numerous times we have a good relationship with the Jets. So this is the perfect opportunity and the perfect team to trade with at the perfect time.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

That is just horrible. So we're stuck with him unless we release him. This is on Ballard for putting that in Rivers contract.

The Colts are not going to release Rivers and are also not going to bench Rivers either. 

Calm down. it's not the end of the world. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Colts are not going to release Rivers and are also not going to bench Rivers either. 

Calm down. it's not the end of the world. 

I know exactly what will happen. We'll play Rivers all year, and like Brissett last year, he'll fall off in the 2nd half of the year (because of the hard schedule in his case), we'll go something like 7-9 again and miss the playoffs. It'll also be the same as last year where just like Kelly, Eason won't get any playing time and we'll know nothing about him when Rivers and Brissett won't be on the team in 2021, and we'll have no one with game experience heading into FA and the draft.

Same year, same result. Ballard and Reich don't learn from their mistakes.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I've never even heard of that in football. That's more of a baseball thing from what I know.

In law school I took both professional and amateur sports law courses. 

Trust me, they exist. 

And if you don't trust me, Google is your friend.

(Hint: They're not commonplace in the NFL, but can be found in veteran contracts.  https://nfltraderumors.co/jimmy-grahams-contract-with-bears-includes-no-trade-clause/)

2 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

What has Darnold done in his career as a jet that makes anyone think he can be an nfl qb? I haven't seen anything. I'll bet the Colts aren't even considering acquiring Darnold as that would be completely pathetic.

I would consider him next year for 3rd but no higher.

It would be hilarious if Jets traded him to us too. 

If we simply acquired Darnold now, there would be 4 QBs on the roster.  No way that happens.

Jets would still need a starter/backup for now and for the future.  And we would need a starter/backup for the future.

Offer them Brissett and a 3rd for Darnold.  That way, we still keep only 3 QBs rostered.

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I know exactly what will happen. We'll play Rivers all year, and like Brissett last year, he'll fall off in the 2nd half of the year (because of the hard schedule in his case), we'll go something like 7-9 again and miss the playoffs. It'll also be the same as last year where just like Kelly, Eason won't get any playing time and we'll know nothing about him when Rivers and Brissett won't be on the team in 2021, and we'll have no one with game experience heading into FA and the draft.

Same year, same result. Ballard and Reich don't learn from their mistakes.

We probably will, barring injury, play Rivers all year. Why? Because he gives us the best shot of winning each week. Personally, I am growing tired of hearing about how we didn't give Kelly an opportunity to play last year. In the NFL the bottom line is winning. If you don't win you don't keep your job. If a team thought they could suit up a chimp at QB and he could win games they would do it in a heartbeat. Chad Kelly was NEVER going to be our franchise QB. I believe that the Colts thought he might be a solid backup QB, but evidently he never did enough to warrant staying on the roster. In a league where QB play is considered the most important thing coaches and GM's just aren't going to let franchise QB's go because of stubbornness or pride. They watch these guys every day in workouts, in practices, in meetings. They know if a guy has what it takes to be "the guy". Do they sometimes get it wrong? Of course. How do we know? One of the other 31 teams in the NFL scoops the player up and makes something of him. Has anyone put Chad Kelly in a game since his release from the Colts? Has anyone even put Chad Kelly in a workout since he left the Colts? NO! If Chad Kelly is a franchise QB then that means ALL 32 NFL GM's and HC's are fools and don't know what they are doing. Would I like to see better QB play? Yes! We need Philip Rivers to step it up. But let's cut the guy some slack. He joined the team in the middle of a pandemic, had no OTA's or minicamps, and had no preseason games to build a rapport with his new receiving targets. On top of that several of those targets have spent more time in the training room than on the field. The sky is not falling. The season isn't over. We are 3-2 and very much in the mix for a playoff spot. Let's see how this plays out.  I do like the idea of possibly trading for Darnold in the offseason but even if we were able to get him today, I still think Rivers would be our best option for winning. It's still early in the season and I think the offense is going to get better. Keep your chin up Jared! I appreciate your passion for the team!

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If we simply acquired Darnold now, there would be 4 QBs on the roster.  No way that happens.

Jets would still need a starter/backup for now and for the future.  And we would need a starter/backup for the future.

Offer them Brissett and a 3rd for Darnold.  That way, we still keep only 3 QBs rostered.

Yup.  As Kevin Bowen said on his podcast, when it comes down to it, your choice is between Darnold and Eason going forward.  Rivers and Brissett don't figure into the equation after this year.  You're choosing between a good player that has been damaged by bad coaching and hoping to recover, and your own guy who you drafted who is learning your system from scratch.

My personal preference is to see if Darnold is still on the table during the draft.  I could see trading a 2nd rounder for him, and having two QB's on the roster, Eason and Darnold, with open competition on who gets to start.

Honestly, I never thought this would be our year or anything after signing Rivers. I figured that was a move to give us a positive record so it looks better on the front office because 3 losing seasons in four years really doesn’t look good. Anybody who thought we were going to make a deep run into the playoffs was kidding themselves. All I’m watching for this year is positive development from our younger players. Rivers in my opinion was brought in just to buy time. Until we find our future at quarterback we probably won’t be doing much in the playoffs. 

29 minutes ago, HoosierHero said:

Honestly, I never thought this would be our year or anything after signing Rivers. I figured that was a move to give us a positive record so it looks better on the front office because 3 losing seasons in four years really doesn’t look good. Anybody who thought we were going to make a deep run into the playoffs was kidding themselves. All I’m watching for this year is positive development from our younger players. Rivers in my opinion was brought in just to buy time. Until we find our future at quarterback we probably won’t be doing much in the playoffs. 

Well said.  More wisdom as a rookie poster than people here who have thousands of posts.

In all of my years of watching Colts football Rivers is about as bad as I have seen especially considering his salary. His arm is shot. He cannot drive the ball down the field. He cannot move so pass blocking has to be perfect. He cannot run so teams can play man to man and completely turn their backs and follow their man becasue the QB cannot run forward. He makes terrible decisions based upon the limitations above. The Colts will not "Win" anything with Rivers. They are just going through the motions. Does anyone on here think that we can beat the Ravens, Steelers, Titans, KC etc with Rivers?  Their are posters saying that CK must not be good becasue he has not been picked up. If Rivers were cut tomorrow their isn't any team in the NFL that would put him on their Roster. So does the same logic apply? The Colts should play Eason to see what they have and they should have kept CK for the same reason. Rivers does not help the Colts this year and he does not help them next year.  This is just like Vinny. Most of the people on this forum knew that he was done and yet Frank and Ballard continued to send him out to lose games which cost us the playoffs. Remember that this team with JB as QB beat KC last year on the road. 

He may play on a bad team, but he was a turn over machine his last year at USC and he's that way in the NFL. Winston was a turnover machine his last year at FSU and that also followed him into the NFL. Having said that, I'd rather have Winston every day over Darnold..

3 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

In all of my years of watching Colts football Rivers is about as bad as I have seen especially considering his salary. His arm is shot. He cannot drive the ball down the field. He cannot move so pass blocking has to be perfect. He cannot run so teams can play man to man and completely turn their backs and follow their man becasue the QB cannot run forward. He makes terrible decisions based upon the limitations above. The Colts will not "Win" anything with Rivers. They are just going through the motions. Does anyone on here think that we can beat the Ravens, Steelers, Titans, KC etc with Rivers?  Their are posters saying that CK must not be good becasue he has not been picked up. If Rivers were cut tomorrow their isn't any team in the NFL that would put him on their Roster. So does the same logic apply? The Colts should play Eason to see what they have and they should have kept CK for the same reason. Rivers does not help the Colts this year and he does not help them next year.  This is just like Vinny. Most of the people on this forum knew that he was done and yet Frank and Ballard continued to send him out to lose games which cost us the playoffs. Remember that this team with JB as QB beat KC last year on the road. 

Come on man. Philip Rivers is probably going to Hall of Fame once his career is over. If the Colts were to cut him tomorrow and he were interested in still playing I guarantee he would garner far more interest than Chad Kelly. Philip Rivers is a proven commodity in the NFL. I didn't say that CK wasn't good, but come on, do you really think if he were NFL starting or even back up QB material that he wouldn't be on a roster? He might have all world tools but for one reason or another he just doesn't have what NFL teams are looking for. Of course a bunch of armchair GM wannabes on an NFL forum know far more about QB talent and building a roster than ALL 32 NFL GM's. To compare Kelly to Rivers is just downright silly. If you want to be fair compare 26 yr old Chad Kelly to 26 yr old Philip Rivers. Rivers is at the end of a potentially HOF career and at his age now is a competent NFL QB. Chad Kelly is a guy who had a Hall of Fame uncle who got his friend to give his nephew a chance. CK didn't do anything with that chance. If he had he would be on the roster plain and simple.

18 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Come on man. Philip Rivers is probably going to Hall of Fame once his career is over. If the Colts were to cut him tomorrow and he were interested in still playing I guarantee he would garner far more interest than Chad Kelly. Philip Rivers is a proven commodity in the NFL. I didn't say that CK wasn't good, but come on, do you really think if he were NFL starting or even back up QB material that he wouldn't be on a roster? He might have all world tools but for one reason or another he just doesn't have what NFL teams are looking for. Of course a bunch of armchair GM wannabes on an NFL forum know far more about QB talent and building a roster than ALL 32 NFL GM's. To compare Kelly to Rivers is just downright silly. If you want to be fair compare 26 yr old Chad Kelly to 26 yr old Philip Rivers. Rivers is at the end of a potentially HOF career and at his age now is a competent NFL QB. Chad Kelly is a guy who had a Hall of Fame uncle who got his friend to give his nephew a chance. CK didn't do anything with that chance. If he had he would be on the roster plain and simple.

This may be considered off topic but I hope Rivers doesn’t get into the HOF.  I think he is the perfect example of a player who is a product of his generation.  I get you can only play in the time your career is happening.  Despite all the kinda impressive stats, Rivers averaged 8.7 wins a year.  Another quick search showed he was something like 32-61 in one score games.  He isn’t a winning QB and why I’m not surprised we have dropped a couple games that were winnable. He is an average QB on the decline so our team will also be average.  It’s ok, I still enjoy watching the games.

To stay on topic, I think the Colts should explore what it would take to get Darnold, if they think he can be the guy then go for it.  Won’t happen until after the season is over.  That’s good bc we will see who else is available and also look into possibilities in the draft. Most likely they will sign or trade for a veteran QB but I hope they can land a true franchise guy for the next decad

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

:scorebad::groan:

10 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

This may be considered off topic but I hope Rivers doesn’t get into the HOF.  I think he is the perfect example of a player who is a product of his generation.  I get you can only play in the time your career is happening.  Despite all the kinda impressive stats, Rivers averaged 8.7 wins a year.  Another quick search showed he was something like 32-61 in one score games.  He isn’t a winning QB and why I’m not surprised we have dropped a couple games that were winnable. He is an average QB on the decline so our team will also be average.  It’s ok, I still enjoy watching the games.

To stay on topic, I think the Colts should explore what it would take to get Darnold, if they think he can be the guy then go for it.  Won’t happen until after the season is over.  That’s good bc we will see who else is available and also look into possibilities in the draft. Most likely they will sign or trade for a veteran QB but I hope they can land a true franchise guy for the next decad

that makes Rivers' win percentage 54.6%.  Dan Marino had a bunch of gaudy stats but only 60.1% win percentage, just barely better than Rivers.  Should Marino come out of the hall of fame?  Or can we finally admit that win/loss record is the dumbest way to judge a QB?

Archived