Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darnold is sitting Vs the Dolphins. Should the Colts make an offer for him now?

The Jets are not trading Darnold during this season.   

But I wouldn't mind testing the waters on him during the off season.  Heck bring Darnold, Rosen and Eason into camp to compete for all QB spots.  

Tannehill shows us that sometimes it is the team, not the QB.   His passer rating each year:

76 - Dolphins

81 - Dolphins

92 - Dolphins

88 - Dolphins

93 - Dolphins

92 - Dolphins

117 - Titans

110 - Titans

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Myles said:

But I wouldn't mind testing the waters on him during the off season.  Heck bring Darnold, Rosen and Eason into camp to compete for all QB spots.  

Tannehill shows us that sometimes it is the team, not the QB.   His passer rating each year:

76 - Dolphins

81 - Dolphins

92 - Dolphins

88 - Dolphins

93 - Dolphins

92 - Dolphins

117 - Titans

110 - Titans

That. Would actually be a pretty entertaining training camp from a fan standpoint. 

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

That. Would actually be a pretty entertaining training camp from a fan standpoint. 

It would kind of be an even playing field (maybe Rosen starting back a little).   It'd be fun to watch them push each other.  

3 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

This may be considered off topic but I hope Rivers doesn’t get into the HOF.  I think he is the perfect example of a player who is a product of his generation.  I get you can only play in the time your career is happening.  Despite all the kinda impressive stats, Rivers averaged 8.7 wins a year.  Another quick search showed he was something like 32-61 in one score games.  He isn’t a winning QB and why I’m not surprised we have dropped a couple games that were winnable. He is an average QB on the decline so our team will also be average.  It’s ok, I still enjoy watching the games.

And how often has Rivers been blown out? It’s extremely rare unlike Colts last year. What would be a blowout for another QB is a one-score loss for him. 

As far as Darnold, I worry the Colts would be falling into the same trap of thinking a QB in a shoddy organization will somehow become something different with the Colts. 

Look at Herbert. The Chargers Oline is a complete and utter joke right now, along with their running game and coaching, and he is somehow doing well.

Why hasn’t Darnold flashed like Herbert if he’s so great?

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

He's injured and didn't practice last week or this week either. Tore his AC joint in his throwing shoulder. So even if we were to pick him up, he may not be healthy enough after the bye to play anyway...

I saw the play where he got injured and it looked pretty bad. I couldn’t believe they shot him up with painkillers and sent him back out to play. I hope he didn’t do any long term damage. 

1 minute ago, Bolts2Colts said:

As far as Darnold, I worry the Colts would be falling into the same trap of thinking a QB in a shoddy organization will somehow become something different with the Colts. 

It would only make sense if they feel Eason has starter potential and would compete with Darnold for the starting QB role.  

2 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Can some please explain why we gave Rivers a no trade clause? This signing just continues to get more baffling smh

In a one-year deal, why do you need it? It’s not like you’re wedded to him for 5 years. No one else is going to trade for Rivers and play him mid-season, it would be stupid. He’s not a plug and play QB. So any interested team would simply wait to acquire him in January and not have to give up anything in a trade. 

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

76 - Dolphins

81 - Dolphins

92 - Dolphins

88 - Dolphins

93 - Dolphins

92 - Dolphins

117 - Titans

110 - Titans

Are there other examples of QBs moving to a new team at this stage of career and doing dramatically better?  Everyone talks about Tannehill but how common is that? 

27 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Are there other examples of QBs moving to a new team at this stage of career and doing dramatically better?  Everyone talks about Tannehill but how common is that? 

I'm sure there are.  Steve Young is probably my favorite.  3-16 in Tampa then on to the 49rs.   

That's the thing with Rosen and Darnold, they have only been in the league for just over 2 years.

Like I said, I would not bring them in as the starter, they would have to compete for it.    

26 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

There probably isn't a strong track record for this happening. Tannehill is sorta unique in that MIA didn't already have the replacement in house...unlike when Brees left SD and (likely) when Darnold leaves the NYJ.

Cousins got better when he get to MIN...and Teddy got better when left MIN.

It will be interesting to see how and where Winston ends up.

But it does happen. I think, with Darnold, you are banking on his talent and age.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm sure there are.  Steve Young is probably my favorite.  3-16 in Tampa then on to the 49rs.   

That's the thing with Rosen and Darnold, they have only been in the league for just over 2 years.

Like I said, I would not bring them in as the starter, they would have to compete for it.    

Favre is sort of another example. He wasn't bad with ATL per se...cause he never played. But he was traded to GB after his rookie season...was bad for two years (similar stats to Darnold)...before a light turned on at age 24.

47 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

I saw the play where he got injured and it looked pretty bad. I couldn’t believe they shot him up with painkillers and sent him back out to play. I hope he didn’t do any long term damage. 

I immediately had flashbacks to the Titans game where it all started to go wrong with Luck... 

14 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Battle of the PAC 10 Passers.

Yes! We could also call it the "Redemption Convention". 

14 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Earlier today, it was reported that Darnold is sitting Vs the Dolphins this Sunday. After the Bengals, we have a bye week, and Darnold could have plenty of time to learn the playbook. I'm guessing with the release of Bell as well, they have officially gone to tank mode. Is now the time to offer them a trade? I'd offer them Rivers (pay his entire contract) and a 3rd round pick for Darnold. Would it be enough? I believe so as there was another report by schefter a few days ago that said the Jets were unlikely to get a 1st rounder for Darnold. This allows us to dump Rivers to a team that needs a QB to finish the year, and we get our possible franchise QB of the future without breaking the bank. We can even start Brissett for one game Vs the Bengals and probably win if Darnold needs a few weeks to learn the playbook.

I think now is the perfect opportunity to get Darnold based on both ours and the Jets situation. What do you think below?

I have a question for you. You claim to have been spoiled by watching Manning and such. Did you advocate to trade Peyton Manning after each of the games he threw a pick 6 in? Or the games where he threw MULTIPLE INTs? Because he had several of those games. Did you advocate to trade him after his horrific rookie year?

9 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

There probably isn't a strong track record for this happening. Tannehill is sorta unique in that MIA didn't already have the replacement in house...unlike when Brees left SD and (likely) when Darnold leaves the NYJ.

Cousins got better when he get to MIN...and Teddy got better when left MIN.

It will be interesting to see how and where Winston ends up.

But it does happen. I think, with Darnold, you are banking on his talent and age.

And that Tannehill and Darnold will be leaving the same coach. I watched Darnold's last game and he played well, and had several plays that he flashed as great. I think Gase's offense isn't a good offense as he doesn't adjust it for the talent he has, we can tell this from how talented players do better when they leave and a new coach uses them correctly.

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I have a question for you. You claim to have been spoiled by watching Manning and such. Did you advocate to trade Peyton Manning after each of the games he threw a pick 6 in? Or the games where he threw MULTIPLE INTs? Because he had several of those games. Did you advocate to trade him after his horrific rookie year?

I was 11 during his rookie year and hardly knew anything about football, but i wouldn't of wanted to trade a no1 overall pick even at that point that was 22 years old. Rivers is 39 (I believe). Big difference. I honestly don't even remember some of Manning's early games because I was so young and didn't watch football religiously at that point.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

76 - Dolphins

81 - Dolphins

92 - Dolphins

88 - Dolphins

93 - Dolphins

92 - Dolphins

117 - Titans

110 - Titans

Henry is the more important player for TN, as well as their oline, IMO.  Tannehill isn't really a QB that carries a team on his back, and I think that's what MIA tried to do with him when they drafted him high.

2 minutes ago, colts8718 said:

Would love to get him I live NJ and see him all the time he is just in a bad spot with the Jets, he has nothing to work with he is smart and a good arm. 

Yeah, Mike Greenberg said on his show that "if the Colts are listening make that trade because he is a great player working for a terrible franchise and they won't regret it" that's a paraphrasing but I agree with him, if you gave Reich Darnold I think our offense would open up a lot.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

76 - Dolphins

81 - Dolphins

92 - Dolphins

88 - Dolphins

93 - Dolphins

92 - Dolphins

117 - Titans

110 - Titans

I could see them trading him at the trade deadline if they still don't have a win

9 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I could see them trading him at the trade deadline if they still don't have a win

Maybe.  It's just tough to trade your starting QB for just a shot at getting a pick that could get you a QB in the draft.  Looking at their schedule, though, they may not win a game.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Maybe.  It's just tough to trade your starting QB for just a shot at getting a pick that could get you a QB in the draft.  Looking at their schedule, though, they may not win a game.  

Agreed, with all of this talk about Gase stinking and Darnold possibly being available, its more likely NYJ fires Gase (almost assured) and builds around Darnold.  Maybe trading a high pick for more draft picks.  

I don't follow the NYJ close enough to know if Darnold has worn out his welcome with the fans.

BTW, I'm not convinced that Lawrence or Fields can be NFL pocket passers, during games when they have to be.  I'm generally uncertain when college QBs rely a lot on their athleticism in college, that it always translates well to the NFL passing game.

2 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

If you're a poster saying how dumb it is to consider Darnold because hes terrible, broken, etc, you need to ask yourself what exactly are you doing on this forum and in this thread?  

But since you're here and throwing your vast knowledge around will you link the times you were up-in-arms last year because the Colts didn't get washed-up/broken/terrible Ryan Tannehill last year? That sounds a lot like Darnold right now doesn't it? But you already knew that. And please quote me some college rhetoric while you conveniently ignore the college resumes of other guys that dont fit your narrative.

And dont even bring up Eason when you're the same people bashing others who wanted Kelly to play (not me but thats not the point). Do you remember saying these greatest hits: 'He's never played a down in the league?' If hes so good how come 31 other teams passed on him?' Well that sounds like a couple other guys I know too doesn't it?

You may not like it but dont discredit people thinking it should/could happen. Frankly the condescension is nauseating. 

Tannehill had better stats than Darnold.  

Tannehill's last year with the Dolphins he posted a 92.7 passer rating.  Darnold's career year last year netted him an 84.3 passer rating.

Also what happened with Tannehill is rare. 

2 hours ago, Myles said:

So trade deadline is week 8, so lets say they are 0-7 team on week 8, they have the strength of schedule tie breaker with the giants and the falcons, so if they don't win it's the number 1 pick. Now if they also decide to release Adam Gase I think it's as close as you can get to guaranteed that they get the number one, not even to mention their starting RB is a very old Frank Gore.

1 hour ago, stitches said:
I wonder where Darnold was rated on the Colts draft board that year.  You know we gave him a very thorough vetting.  I would bet we had him rated high just like everyone else.  If so then it's worth the risk IMO.  Even for a 2nd and a conditional 3rd.  Makes a lot of sense for both teams.  

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Agreed, with all of this talk about Gase stinking and Darnold possibly being available, its more likely NYJ fires Gase (almost assured) and builds around Darnold.  Maybe trading a high pick for more draft picks.  

I don't follow the NYJ close enough to know if Darnold has worn out his welcome with the fans.

BTW, I'm not convinced that Lawrence or Fields can be NFL pocket passers, during games when they have to be.  I'm generally uncertain when college QBs rely a lot on their athleticism in college, that it always translates well to the NFL passing game.

I mean yeah that would be the smarter thing to do, but this is the Jets and it's fun to speculate fixing our QB position lol

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

I’m gonna invent a new drinking game called the Rivers of Trade. Everytime someone says trade Phillip Rivers, take a shot. Everytime someone points out his no trade clause, take two shots. Everytime someone says start Eason, down the remainder of the bottle.

What happens if they say start JB or get Kelly back?

I’m not opposed to going after Darnold.  I think there’s a there there.  And it’s likely that his career with the NYets is over.

But, if this were to happen, I have to imagine it would be after the season.  Imagine how much money we’d have tied up in the QB position paying him, Rivers, and Brissett.

Unless his play starts improving dramatically, I doubt we’ll be re-signing Rivers.  I also doubt we’re going to re-sign Jacoby to anything approaching his current contract.  Maybe as a QB2, but I’m sure he’s going to want to see what’s out there and I wouldn’t blame him a bit.

It’ll be an interesting off-season, to be sure.

Maybe I should just stay off this forum because it is so confusing. Many on here want to bring Darnold in for as much as a 2nd round draft pick. Using the logic that he is just being "ruined" by an inept organization in New York. Huh? So let's bring him here for a fresh start so he can be under the guidance of Ballard and Reich two guys who get roasted on here daily because they don't know what they are doing. How is that a "fresh start"??? Darnold struggles in New York because he sucks, I'm sure both Ballard and Reich see that, so I will predict again that Darnold will never be a Colt, not even as a free agent at any time down the road.

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

If their forums and subreddits are any indication, NYets fans are done with both Gase and Darnold.

What were they thinking hiring Gase after that debacle in Miami?  Who watches that and says “Yeah, that’s the guy we want!”?

1 minute ago, Two_pound said:

Maybe I should just stay off this forum because it is so confusing. Many on here want to bring Darnold in for as much as a 2nd round draft pick. Using the logic that he is just being "ruined" by an inept organization in New York. Huh? So let's bring him here for a fresh start so he can be under the guidance of Ballard and Reich two guys who get roasted on here daily because they don't know what they are doing. How is that a "fresh start"??? Darnold struggles in New York because he sucks, I'm sure both Ballard and Reich see that, so I will predict again that Darnold will never be a Colt, not even as a free agent at any time down the road.

I’ve never been super-high on Darnold.  When that pre-draft trade happened, my general position was that we absolutely reamed the Jets.  I still think that.

But I do think he’d be an upgrade over what we have.  And that’s the problem with struggling to find a QB.  There are realistically about 3 or 4 great QBs, another 5-6 really good ones, about 10-12 good or average ones, and then everybody else.  And teams who have great or really good ones do everything in their power to hang onto them.

So it’s not as if a GM can just dial up a franchise QB on demand.  They usually just have to do what they can to get the best available option.  And even that can be costly.

So the question Ballard is going to face isn’t how he gets ahold of one of those rare gems. The question is how he gets the best one he can realistically get.

On 10/15/2020 at 1:33 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

If Darnold is broken, it's because of Adam Gase, the guy who "breaks everyone" until they leave or he gets fired. Quick list of guys who have done better away from Gase: Tannehill, Drake, Robby Anderson, Osemele, Gesicki, Parker. That's just on offense. Gase is a talent killer. I'd happily take the chance Sam would be better on the Colts in a competent organization.

I would offer them a 3 for Darnold. I am pretty sure they would not be interested in Rivers!

I think we should trade for Darnold. Right now we are in the .500 record for the next few years which means a middle of the pack draft pick which normally does not get you a franchise QB. Watching Darnold play he still has a lot of talent but at times makes a bonehead interception. Right now he has no talent around him which does not help. The Jets are in tank mode for Lawrence which means they will want to move on from Darnold. Ballard make the move we have a history with Jets aanyhow.

57 minutes ago, BigO said:

I think we should trade for Darnold. Right now we are in the .500 record for the next few years which means a middle of the pack draft pick which normally does not get you a franchise QB. Watching Darnold play he still has a lot of talent but at times makes a bonehead interception. Right now he has no talent around him which does not help. The Jets are in tank mode for Lawrence which means they will want to move on from Darnold. Ballard make the move we have a history with Jets aanyhow.

What makes you think that Joe Douglas is going to trade Darnold? 

Just because Darnold was benched does not mean he is through being a Jet.

Who said the Jets were tanking for Lawrence? The media? The Jet fans? 

Just maybe Douglas will trade out of a top three pick and keep Darnold? 

I would rather the Colts trade up to the Jets spot rather than trade for Darnold. 

23 hours ago, Myles said:

76 - Dolphins

81 - Dolphins

92 - Dolphins

88 - Dolphins

93 - Dolphins

92 - Dolphins

117 - Titans

110 - Titans

I know I don’t have a vote.  But I would not favor Rosen.  He’s had his chances.

Darnold and Eason, sure.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What makes you think that Joe Douglas is going to trade Darnold? 

Just because Darnold was benched does not mean he is through being a Jet.

Who said the Jets were tanking for Lawrence? The media? The Jet fans? 

Just maybe Douglas will trade out of a top three pick and keep Darnold? 

I would rather the Colts trade up to the Jets spot rather than trade for Darnold. 

First of all he was not benched, he has an injury. As for tanking for Lawrence, do you really think the jets are going to win any games this year. They are the worst team in the league by far. And why would you pick up Darnold's option if you draft Lawrence and start with a new regime after they clean house of Gase and their coaching staff.

Archived