Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How long should River leash be? (merge)

Nesjan3

How long should Rivers leash be?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. How long should Rivers leash be before Jacoby goes in?

• He is done Jacoby should start next week.
    • One more bad outing
    • Multiple more bad outings
    • He is the starter till the end
    • Other

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

okay then we get a top ten pick .  with rivers we could still end up having a top ten pick .  the chargers went 3-13 with him . play eason he is the future you will love him . easons was a huge manning fan growing up , he has a rocket arm makes elite throws .  it would be  a breathe of fresh air

Yeah and if he cannot read a defence none of that matters

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Brady would have kept us in till the last play even with sub par skill position guys, something I cannot say about Rivers.

Yeah.  I am done with Rivers.  I know the Colts aren’t but I feel about him like I did with Adam last year.  I expect the worst from him in key situations and I am surprised when it doesn’t happen.  I don’t know if the offense would be any better with Jacoby, Kelly, or Eason.  I’d guess it probably wouldn’t but at least there is the arguement for letting them learn for the “future”.  The whole point to signing Rivers was to avoid the young QB mistakes they would make but Rivers is making them now.  it’s one thing to throw picks Rivers always has it’s another to do it staining down the receiver and telegraphing your throws like he’s been doing and then to take a safety in a crucial part of the game where you just can’t do that. 

4 minutes ago, BigO said:

I said the same thing you said before the season and then all I heard from the homers was he would be so much better with our offensive  line. Maybe I was right!

you were right rivers was terrible last year .   i get that many fans only like to think positive about the colts and get defensive when people say bad things , but the truth is the truth .   rivers had a 20 pick season and only threw 23 touchdowns and went 3-13 with a ton of talent at wr and running back .    i never understood the sun shine and rainbow crowd who take it personal when you talk bad about the team .   some fans like to talk about the team as they really see it , and no through the lens of homers .   People take it the wrong way and then the personal attacks come out .  it never bothers me i just feel bad for the person because i figure they are hurting and in a bad place  . if it makes them feel better go for it .

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Brady would have kept us in till the last play even with sub par skill position guys, something I cannot say about Rivers.

Brady was never coming to Indy, so he wasn't a realistic option to begin with. 

Cam had baggage, injury history, and doesn't fit Reich's scheme, so not a realistic option either. 

But, I would have taken Brady if he were an option. Maybe Cam. I'd had preferred to sign Rivers and Cam (letting JB go).

39 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

I remember talking to you but not disagreeing necessarily. 

As for rivers I dont see him winning a SB unfortunately. When our other starters are injured or not up to par hes not good enough to help pick up the slack. Neither is JB. 

Colts sure are in an interesting situation at QB. 

But again, I dont remember really arguing one way or the other. 

Rivers success hinges on the Colts play calling and run game, which I have been saying since the beginning. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why did Taylor only get 12 carries in a close game. Reich is really pathetic. Until we get a young stud QB we can’t felt on the QB to Chuck it that much.

Granted it wasn't much I expect much of this. Taylor is the primary back and I don't want him gassed by the end of the year. 

Rivers is playing like he did with the Chargers. No one should be surprised by anything we have seen thus far. Have to take the bad along with the good. The net value of the total package is why I wasn’t too fond of the signing when made.  We will win a few games but hard to get to the promised land with Rivers leading the way. It just is what it is. Some may need to temper their expectations accordingly. 

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Granted it wasn't much I expect much of this. Taylor is the primary back and I don't want him gassed by the end of the year. 

We still have Wilkins to spell him once in awhile. Reich went right back to what killed us in Jacksonville. Rivers isn’t putting up points and is making mistakes. At this point Jacoby might be the better option.

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

1. The whole noodle arm thing IIRC. He's had plenty of throws that weren't noodlish. 

2. Comparing him to old GOAT and new GOAT, is just silly.

He's always thrown INTs. It's not some mystery. Outside of the INTs, his play wasn't bad. It's really the only dig on him.

Oh he has? Not too many today. He threw for 214 against the Jets. I didn’t compare him to either, just pointed out he was below the average in the sample you provided. There’s a lot more digs than the INT’s at this point.

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Rivers is playing like he did with the Chargers. No one should be surprised by anything we have seen thus far. Have to take the bad along with the good. The net value of the total package is why I wasn’t too fond of the signing when made.  We will win a few games but hard to get to the promised land with Rivers leading the way. It just is what it is. Some may need to temper their expectations accordingly. 

At this point I think I put the blame more on Reich and his unimaginative stale offense.

I'm trying to give him a chance but it's hard to believe we will get to the playoffs if this guy keeps chunking 2 and 3 int in these games.   I think some of the problem is we havent been able to run the football like we were expecting this year.  But that ain't all of it. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

We still have Wilkins to spell him once in awhile. Reich went right back to what killed us in Jacksonville. Rivers isn’t putting up points and is making mistakes. At this point Jacoby might be the better option.

Rivers is being  carried by  the defense  and Blankenship.  If either  has even an average  game he loses 

Just now, krunk said:

I'm trying to give him a chance but it's hard to believe we will get to the playoffs if this guy keeps chunking 2 and 3 int in these games.   I think some of the problem is we havent been able to run the football like we were expecting this year.  But that ain't all of it. 

The sad thing is Reich just gave up on the run today. He came right out of the gate throwing it. I blame Reich.

57 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

you were right , i never thought rivers was good though . i just thought our wide receivers were not as bad . i still dont think they are i think rivers just is horrible

Yeah, Rivers is a loser sure he had some nice years for the Chargers but did nothing with it. 

Just now, krunk said:

We aren't  running  enough  and the passing  attack  is pathetic 

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

The sad thing is Reich just gave up on the run today. He came right out of the gate throwing it. I blame Reich.

I think Reich was trying to mix it up because everyone kept saying our offense was to predictable. I agree Reich has brain freezes throughout the games himself as in the play call in there end zone. But he should let that ball go into the end zone and not fair catch on the 3 another brain freeze that really cost us. 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

there is your answer on if a QB change is in the near future.

Pretty much expected.  He has married himself to Rivers for better or worse this year.  I didn’t expect him to say anything else.  Rivers is his guy.  He is failing him though with his poor play calling. 

22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

As far as the poll. I picked other.

I don't want to see JB unless Philip is injured. 

If Philip continues to throw INTs, I'd be OK with giving Eason a shot, but I'm not benching Rivers for JB.

i feel the same , i want to see eason play .   Rivers is only averaging around 200 yards per game passing and not even throwing one touchdown a game , while throwing a pick per game .  I would still give him next week and the lions game but if he still is throwing picks and not putting up points i would bench him

6 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Oh he has? Not too many today. He threw for 214 against the Jets. I didn’t compare him to either, just pointed out he was below the average in the sample you provided. There’s a lot more digs than the INT’s at this point.

I didn't provide a sample. Pretty sure you, or someone else, used those names specifically. I can go back and quote the post if you'd like. 

His completion/accuracy overall is top 10, as is his AVG. With his AVG, that doesn't support noodle arm. His INTs are pure bad decisions, not a result of noodling.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Colts offense is simple to game plan against right now.  Just focus primarily on stopping the run and force Rivers to beat you. Chances are good he won’t be able to.  

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

Pretty much expected.  He has married himself to Rivers for better or worse this year.  I didn’t expect him to say anything else.  Rivers is his guy.  He is failing him though with his poor play calling. 

I have to believe that Rivers has the option to audible to a run or pass based off of every play.  Rivers gets pass happy like most gunslingers do.  What happens is our line’s run blocking has regressed because we aren’t establishing the run like we did last year.  Phillip needs to realize we need him to be a game manager.  

Phillip’s best attribute this season had been his completion percentage.  We should be a run heavy, ball control offense.  Phillip should be 18 or 20 completions on 25 attempts per game on average.  Just make the timely accurate throws on play action & 3rd down & move the chains. Taylor needs 20 carries a game and Wilkins and Hines need to split 10-15.

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

At this point I think I put the blame more on Reich and his unimaginative stale offense.

I agree that Reich’s play calling  has been bafflingly underwhelming.  However Rivers made two boneheaded throws that led directly to 9 Cleveland points which was the difference in the game. 

you cant cheat a rebuild by buying a locker room . ballard said this then buys rivers rhodes and carry and tries to go all in for a ring this year .  He broke he original message, and tried to buy a locker room.   The colts would be a super bowl team faster if they stuck to the plan .  Play eason  , play ben banagu and rodgers at corner .  then let all the young guys start and get time and get better .  then keep drafting younger players and let them grow while replacing older guys like ty , and AC.  then in a couple years we will be in a better spot .  You can buy a ring .

Archived