Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How long should River leash be? (merge)


How long should Rivers leash be?  

119 members have voted

  1. 1. How long should Rivers leash be before Jacoby goes in?

    • He is done Jacoby should start next week.
      10
    • One more bad outing
      11
    • Multiple more bad outings
      22
    • He is the starter till the end
      60
    • Other
      15


Recommended Posts

On 10/12/2020 at 3:15 AM, JPFolks said:

First, how is Rivers throwing it downfield? Second, what in the world makes you think we're finishing 9-7 or better? The defense is going to get crushed by teams with better passing games (Mayfield has world class receivers and running backs and clearly a better o-line, but he's pretty average).  Pitt, Baltimore even the Raiders look far superior to our team.  Green Bay will crush us.  Detroit has a superior passer and very solid receiver.  TN has a well rounded team, though I do think we're comparable due to our run defense which is really the only thing excellent about our team right now, though it was clear when it really mattered at the end of the game, the Brown's O-Line was superior to our D-Line.  And we rarely got pressure on Mayfield.  Only after EONS of time did we finally put pressure after sometimes 5-6 or more seconds of scanning the field.  

 

I picked "other" because until Reich trusts Rivers enough to extend the passing game, we don't really know how bad Rivers is.  The play calling, short of the first drive, was once again tepid, and it sure appears that Reich is calling the only plays he thinks Rivers can throw.  

 

Our O line has once and for all dismissed any notion that their vaunted status as "perhaps the best oline u=in the NFL."  is false. I think they are the most over-rated unit in the NFL this year and in many years prior.  I wouldn't even rank us as average.  And Nelson has been a major disappointment compared to the accolades which are frankly absurd.  Didn't he rank near the top in the NFL best overall players list? His penalties alone show he isn't elite.  Elite lineman don't kill drives.  The Colt's line holds at twice the league average.  That is NOT elite.  Not even close.  And Phil gets rid of the ball much faster than any other option we have (though his limited mobility negates it for the most part.) Because of our sub par lineplay, Rivers is our only choice, unless the yet to be seen Eason is the second coming of Mahommes. I won't hold my breath. 

 

What I don't get at all is why anyone think this team could be relevent in the post season? We played one team with a winning record and lost to them. The only reason we were in the game is our Defense and their 30th ranked Defense. If you took their star pass rusher away, they'd likely have the 32nd ranked D. 

 

 

I mean I was joking but okay... I feel you're being very pessimistic considering this was just one game and we still have a winning record. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please don't make me watch Jacoby Brissett play again. I'd rather see Rivers throw 5 picks a game than fall asleep watching Brissett dink and dunk his way to an 8-8 record and an uneventful 16th overa

I wish he wasn’t here at all. 4 TDs in 5 games is awfulllll. He might be more immobile than Brady at this point in their career.    He can’t even throw the ball 30 yards with zip on it! I truly

Chad Kelly is better than Rivers  

2 hours ago, CaptainColt12 said:

I mean I was joking but okay... I feel you're being very pessimistic considering this was just one game and we still have a winning record. 

We have a winning record over two teams that are 1-9.  We lost to another which also only has that win.  It's the weakest winning record in the league.  We have two more games over losing teams, then just as a weak Rivers starts to wear out as older QBs usually do, we'll get punched in the face.  

 

I am not hearing optimism from anyone outside some message board posters.  Rather than complaining that I am too pessimistic, why not offer evidence we're going to have a winning record and make a run in the playoffs? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

why not offer evidence we're going to have a winning record and make a run in the playoffs? 

Honestly, I'm just not in the mood, maybe some time later like tomorrow I'll look back at this comment and do it but not right now. I mainly just wanted to say I was joking when I said that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

Honestly, I'm just not in the mood, maybe some time later like tomorrow I'll look back at this comment and do it but not right now. I mainly just wanted to say I was joking when I said that. 

So here's how we do it.  We win the next two, we sweep Houston, we beat Jacksonville at home and we either split with TN or beat Las Vegas.  I can't see us scoring enough to beat Pitt or Bal.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

We have a winning record over two teams that are 1-9.  We lost to another which also only has that win.  It's the weakest winning record in the league.  We have two more games over losing teams, then just as a weak Rivers starts to wear out as older QBs usually do, we'll get punched in the face.  

 

I am not hearing optimism from anyone outside some message board posters.  Rather than complaining that I am too pessimistic, why not offer evidence we're going to have a winning record and make a run in the playoffs? 

The NFL is a week to week venture.

Having evidence either way is impossible. All of us can have an opinion on what may or may not happen but right now that is all there is, opinions. 

Right now we have an equal or better record than 9 other teams in the AFC. That is the only fact we can be sure of. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The NFL is a week to week venture.

Having evidence either way is impossible. All of us can have an opinion on what may or may not happen but right now that is all there is, opinions. 

Right now we have an equal or better record than 9 other teams in the AFC. That is the only fact we can be sure of. 

Good effort. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2020 at 5:42 PM, JPFolks said:

We have a winning record over two teams that are 1-9.  We lost to another which also only has that win.  It's the weakest winning record in the league.  We have two more games over losing teams, then just as a weak Rivers starts to wear out as older QBs usually do, we'll get punched in the face.  

 

I am not hearing optimism from anyone outside some message board posters.  Rather than complaining that I am too pessimistic, why not offer evidence we're going to have a winning record and make a run in the playoffs? 

They have no evidence, they just get over emotional when anyone criticizes the colts .  It's okay to talk about mistakes the colts made and where they can make improvements.   That's the point of a forum its suppose to be talking about everything colts ,not just patting the team on the back .   It's this forum in general is different then other forums.  I had to get used to it at first ,there is a group of older posters who start taking it personal and come hard in groups at anyone who dares question any decision.   I got blasted for attacking the trent Richardson trade ,by saying colts have no one to block for him . 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

They have no evidence, they just get over emotional when anyone criticizes the colts .  It's okay to talk about mistakes the colts made and where they can make improvements.   That's the point of a forum its suppose to be talking about everything colts ,not just patting the team on the back .   It's this forum in general is different then other forums.  I had to get used to it at first ,there is a group of older posters who start taking it personal and come hard in groups at anyone who dares question any decision.   I got blasted for attacking the trent Richardson trade ,by saying colts have no one to block for him . 

The criticism comes to those who post this stuff after a loss

 

Bench Rivers

Worst D Ever

Fire Reich and Ballard 

Etc...

 

Its only week 6 no need to be so doom and gloom!

 

Colts will have their good and bad weeks!

 

This post isn't directed specifically for you BTW 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Start throwing the ball deep more often. Teams are covering everything short. The only way to get them to stop is being more aggressive down field. Either Rivers can or can't.... If he cant then it was a poor signing. I feel like he can still hit a 40-50 yd pass. Do what all quarterbacks with less than stellar arms do! Work the middle. Outside throws without a ton of zip are begging to get picked. Especially if you dont make them cover down field. JB had a similar downfall.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

With Rivers there is still hope of some kind of good run. We already know everything we need to know about Brissett as a QB and its not good. Eason is just completely unknown and probably isnt ready yet. Its Rivers until the end

We also know everything about Rivers for the past 17 years and it’s not all that either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

We also know everything about Rivers for the past 17 years and it’s not all that either.

The guy is a borderline hall of fame and you're saying the past 17 years have not been all that? LOL

Fans can be nuts.

 

In Indy, we've had 18 and 12, and i think that has obscured reality for a lot of us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

The guy is a borderline hall of fame and you're saying the past 17 years have not been all that? LOL

Fans can be nuts.

 

In Indy, we've had 18 and 12, and i think that has obscured reality for a lot of us. 

I certainly don’t think HOF when I hear Phillip Rivers name mentioned. The hall has been watered down so maybe you get him in. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

I certainly don’t think HOF when I hear Phillip Rivers name mentioned. The hall has been watered down so maybe you get him in. 

How you figure? 

His numbers are already much better than quite a few QBs already in the HOF. 

6th in passing yards

6th in TDs passes

Those are not watered down numbers no matter what your opinion is. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

How you figure? 

His numbers are already much better than quite a few QBs already in the HOF. 

6th in passing yards

6th in TDs passes

Those are not watered down numbers no matter what your opinion is. 

You already know by now that people post the most ridiculous stuff after a loss. Tomorrow can't get here quick enough. Rivers will make the HOFame, maybe not 1st ballot but 2nd is a shoe in.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 11:18 AM, coming on strong said:

They have no evidence, they just get over emotional when anyone criticizes the colts .  It's okay to talk about mistakes the colts made and where they can make improvements.   That's the point of a forum its suppose to be talking about everything colts ,not just patting the team on the back .   It's this forum in general is different then other forums.  I had to get used to it at first ,there is a group of older posters who start taking it personal and come hard in groups at anyone who dares question any decision.   I got blasted for attacking the trent Richardson trade ,by saying colts have no one to block for him . 

So it was the Colts fault that Trent Richardson got fat and lazy? 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

How you figure? 

His numbers are already much better than quite a few QBs already in the HOF. 

6th in passing yards

6th in TDs passes

Those are not watered down numbers no matter what your opinion is. 

He’s played a long time so he has numbers. He’s been durable so kudos to him for that. Sorry to disagree, but don’t see him as one of the all time greats.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You already know by now that people post the most ridiculous stuff after a loss. Tomorrow can't get here quick enough. Rivers will make the HOFame, maybe not 1st ballot but 2nd is a shoe in.

Just to be clear, I posted that the Rivers signing was a poor one. I don’t agree with everything the Colts do and that doesn’t make my opinions ridiculous or wrong just because you don’t agree.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

He’s played a long time so he has numbers. He’s been durable so kudos to him for that. Sorry to disagree, but don’t see him as one of the all time greats.

Exactly what are your requirements to get into the Hall of Fame? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Just to be clear, I posted that the Rivers signing was a poor one. I don’t agree with everything the Colts do and that doesn’t make my opinions ridiculous or wrong just because you don’t agree.

Nothing personal and you may be right but I think you are wrong. Everyone has an opinion I agree, we just disagree :thmup:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly what are your requirements to get into the Hall of Fame? 

 

It’s really tough to answer that. Every era has different criteria. Today QB’s and WR’s all have big numbers as the game has changed. Super Bowls are not the defining act for me to declare a player HOF worthy. Many players are in the hall which I don’t agree with. The hall is too watered down and some are in due to being in broadcasting and they get votes buddy system. Lol! 
 

Being an old timer watching games in different eras, there is no clear cut statistics answer. I will say when a player comes up for consideration for the hall, it’s pretty easy to determine if they are truly worthy. If one has to think about it then they are not a Hall of Fame player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

It’s really tough to answer that. Every era has different criteria. Today QB’s and WR’s all have big numbers as the game has changed. Super Bowls are not the defining act for me to declare a player HOF worthy. Many players are in the hall which I don’t agree with. The hall is too watered down and some are in due to being in broadcasting and they get votes buddy system. Lol! 
 

Being an old timer watching games in different eras, there is no clear cut statistics answer. I will say when a player comes up for consideration for the hall, it’s pretty easy to determine if they are truly worthy. If one has to think about it then they are not a Hall of Fame player.

Do you think Joe Namath should be a HOFamer? His stats were average at best, he won 2 playoff games his whole career but because of SB 3 he is in - 1 game lmao . The Colts actually even gift wrapped that game to the Jets with the worse turnovers I have ever seen. Rivers has had a lot better career than him, I know different era's but still. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 4:01 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Something else that bugs me about Reich. He wanted A new oline cosch. This coach has taken the fire out of the oline. We don’t even hear about pancake blocks. Why would he mess with a good thing.

I didn’t see this responded to but would like to hear from others that know o-line technique.  Gugliamo (sp?) was the old coach and I know I read the style he preached was more attack than read and react.  He didn’t last in NE and when replaced their o-line returned to former excellence. I think he also wasnt a personality fit with reich but that’s just supposition and reading between the lines, no pun intended.  Lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2020 at 5:42 PM, JPFolks said:

We have a winning record over two teams that are 1-9.  We lost to another which also only has that win.  It's the weakest winning record in the league.  We have two more games over losing teams, then just as a weak Rivers starts to wear out as older QBs usually do, we'll get punched in the face.  

 

I am not hearing optimism from anyone outside some message board posters.  Rather than complaining that I am too pessimistic, why not offer evidence we're going to have a winning record and make a run in the playoffs? 

The three teams we've beaten have 5 combined wins.

 

The three teams the Bucs have beaten also have 5 combined wins.

 

The Bucs also have WAY more talent on the offensive side of the ball.  Bench Brady!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Do you think Joe Namath should be a HOFamer? His stats were average at best, he won 2 playoff games his whole career but because of SB 3 he is in - 1 game lmao . The Colts actually even gift wrapped that game to the Jets with the worse turnovers I have ever seen. Rivers has had a lot better career than him, I know different era's but still. 

Joe Namath changed the perception of the AFL being able to play with the NFL. You’re right about the stats, but it’s not always about stats. In his case yes for me. I’ll give you one that doesn’t IMO Lynn Swann.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:
On 10/12/2020 at 4:01 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Something else that bugs me about Reich. He wanted A new oline cosch. This coach has taken the fire out of the oline. We don’t even hear about pancake blocks. Why would he mess with a good thing.

Expand  

I didn’t see this responded to but would like to hear from others that know o-line technique.  Gugliamo (sp?) was the old coach and I know I read the style he preached was more attack than read and react.  He didn’t last in NE and when replaced their o-line returned to former excellence. I think he also wasnt a personality fit with reich but that’s just supposition and reading between the lines, no pun intended.  Lol. 

Ugh.  Of course I post before researching.  Strausser was our OL coach last year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Joe Namath changed the perception of the AFL being able to play with the NFL. You’re right about the stats, but it’s not always about stats. In his case yes for me. I’ll give you one that doesn’t IMO Lynn Swann.

Because of the reason you gave, I would give a Joe a Yes but IMO Rivers still has had the better career. Swann is 50/50 with me, he was pretty clutch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 11:18 AM, coming on strong said:

They have no evidence, they just get over emotional when anyone criticizes the colts .  It's okay to talk about mistakes the colts made and where they can make improvements.   That's the point of a forum its suppose to be talking about everything colts ,not just patting the team on the back .   It's this forum in general is different then other forums.  I had to get used to it at first ,there is a group of older posters who start taking it personal and come hard in groups at anyone who dares question any decision.   I got blasted for attacking the trent Richardson trade ,by saying colts have no one to block for him . 

The fact that you were here back when Trent Richardson was a thing suggests in Internet terms, you too are an old timer! heh

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

His leash has gotten a bit longer.   Imagine at this point he'll be the starter at least until the team is eliminated from the playoff hunt and I think that is the correct choice to make.   The game against the Lions is a huge game that the Colts need to win before they get into the brutal stretch of the schedule.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...