Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mahomes signs 10 yr extension with Chiefs

PeterBowman

Sammy Watkins, Chris Jones etc. bye bye after 2020.

Those won't be killers, their OL that played with their head on a swivel during their SB run will not be intact sooner than later, IMO. THAT will be the killer.

5 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/8824/patrick-mahomes

wow....not sure the details, but wow. 

Well, considering the kind of player he is now, it’s a no-brainer for the Chiefs.

But, gosh, there’s so much more catastrophic injury risk in football than most other sports.  And they’ve apparently accounted for that.  Toss in the salary cap, and that just complicates major deals like this that much more.

But I’d bet there isn’t a team in football that wouldn’t bet the farm on Mahomes like the Chiefs are.  If he stays healthy, I’m guessing he’ll add at least a few more rings before it’s all over.

Kudos to his agent, obviously.  And I think Chiefs fans have reason to be thrilled that they’ve locked him down for a decade.  He’s already on the cusp of the conversation for GOAT - and he’s just 3 years in.

3 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

A Potential franchise killer

Maybe.  But it’s also a potential deal-sealer to keep the Chiefs as the dominant franchise for the next decade.

But, sure, they’re going to have to make sacrifices at other positions.  And football is the ultimate team sport.  It takes more than a phenomenal quarterback to be successful - a lot more.

I bet Chiefs fans are happy about this.  But you’re right that the real cost here will show up in the future as they try to retain top players.

2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Maybe.  But it’s also a potential deal-sealer to keep the Chiefs as the dominant franchise for the next decade.

But, sure, they’re going to have to make sacrifices at other positions.  And football is the ultimate team sport.  It takes more than a phenomenal quarterback to be successful - a lot more.

I bet Chiefs fans are happy about this.  But you’re right that the real cost here will show up in the future as they try to retain top players.

I am 

Been to more KC games than Colt Games

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Sammy Watkins, Chris Jones etc. bye bye after 2020.

Those won't be killers, their OL that played with their head on a swivel during their SB run will not be intact sooner than later, IMO. THAT will be the killer.

Very complicated deal and is not really the cap killer you have above. Looks to me like his cap hit for 2021 and 2022 are not that bad. It's far from a deal that averages 50 mill per year . The numbers look that way but it's a crazy contract to work the numbers. Not saying I completely understand it , just reading what's being now released on it.

I’ve seen 10/450.   And I’ve seen 10/503.

Once the final accurate number is clear, we will all find out that Mahomes deal shouldn’t get passed any time soon.  His number should remain the largest for years to come.   Sorry Dak.  Sorry DeShaun.   Sorry anyone else.  

Mahomes will stay #1 for a long time.   As he should. 

20 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

106558281-3215149875237921-3562136774265

Peyton Manning is still the highest earner in terms of NFLPA royalty earnings, more than active players, I read recently.

Roger Staubach, a while ago, ended up being one of the richest football players alive, mainly because he went into real estate and invested well. It is not the starting seed in the NFL, it is how you do after your playing career is over is what will define how well you have used your money. Plus, with such money, comes the ability to start and fund children's hospitals and other philanthropic ventures you didn't think you could pull off earlier in your career.

26 minutes ago, Myles said:

Is Mahomes contract 100% guaranteed?  

No, it is not. There is $140 mil. or something like that for injury guarantees but I am sure there are clauses like "no basketball, snow boarding, football etc. in off season" to safeguard the team. 

Heck, the team might even have a life insurance policy worth half a billion on him (not sure if that is legal, insurance experts chime in). 

The more I look at the deal, it is a huge win for the Chiefs. They have him locked up for 12 years and they hold all the cards to cut him at any point if he does not perform well or gets injured.  Mahomes may really hate this deal if Reid is not his coach past the next few years.

17 hours ago, FortheWin said:

The more I look at the deal, it is a huge win for the Chiefs. They have him locked up for 12 years and they hold all the cards to cut him at any point if he does not perform well or gets injured.  Mahomes may really hate this deal if Reid is not his coach past the next few years.

Reid would have to retire I doubt they’d get rid of him and the players would certainly try and vouch 

Archived