Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Day Later

Indeee

Seriously?!?

Seriously-Face.jpg

I thought this thread was going to be about the entire draft class, in general, after a day to research all the picks and digest it all.

Instead, we're talking about the camp battle (for the freakin 3rd QB spot) between a 4th rounder and an UDFA... talk about a misleading thread title...

4efcda6185e98de15c8def9e6bf39a55.jpg

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

The people that support Kelly act like he is Joe Montana and not getting a chance to play. The body of work that we have of him is him playing against 3rd and 4th string players. He's never going against the first-team. Until he does that then we'll see. Kelly must have a lot of suggestive photos of many of you to be this vehemently in love with his play. He's been on the practice squad he's been released once nobody else wanted him so why does every person that loves Kelly on this site is so enamored by him. It's maddening

The same can be said of those with the opposite opinion.  :lol:

I remember stating that I have never...ever....seen a practice squad player get the massive amount of threads, posts, and support that CK has. Not in any sport, and chat room, etc. And I got blow back for that. Yet....it continues. In fact, I'll be willing to wager that there will be posts about him, long after he is no longer a Colt. 

If Chad Kelly is not on the regular season roster this season...there is one reason, and one reason only. 

Because he isn't good enough. 

Colts will cut Brissett. They know what they have in Brissett. Kelly is the big ?. Kelly will not cost them $20,000,000 like Brissett  Brissetts dead money won't hurt them anymore this year . Cut your losses now and see what the kid has in real game action if need be. Trade or cut Jacoby. Great teammate but falls off late in the year or should I say good back up but not a starter. After this year we will need a starter and I for one believe draft another qb next year. Let Kelly, Eason and draft pick battle it out in camp and may the best man win. The more compotition the better. How many teams draft a QB and let them fail for years before they draft another. If that qb doesn't produce by year 3 cut your losses. Yes I know there are factors in there success but with Indy's line and backfield no excuses are good ones . I know I will start a fire storm with this post for all the Jacoby fans because our receivers were hurt but you have to win with what you have. He never tried to stretch the field to help his receivers. Teams where crouding the line making it hard for receivers to win.

57 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Ok tell that to the Packers, Chiefs, Ravens, Bengals, Seahawks, Niners, Dolphins, Giants, Bills,  Jets, Browns, Cowboys, Titans, Jags, Bears, Chargers, Texans, Cardinals, Rams, Eagles, broncos. Only raiders, Colts, Pat's, Bucs, saints, panthers, skins, vikings, falcons, steelers and lions currently do not have mobile QBs

And how often are those QBs hurt? And how many QBs have some of those teams gone thru recently? 

there’s also a difference between a mobile QB in the pocket, and highly mobile QBs who rely more on their legs to make plays than their arms. The latter of those, do not have long shelf lives. 5-7 years tops. 

you have both types of mobile QBs lumped together, when in actuality, they are a different breed and style of QB. 

13 hours ago, CR91 said:

For God sakes :facepalm:

I really don't understand why Chad Kelly has such a following. 

Because he is good...better than Brissett...but for some  reason Brissett is still around. Brissett needs to be gone and everything will work itself out with Rivers, Kelly and Eason.

Enough already!  Trade or cut Brissett...end the controversy and let the team and fans move forward.

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Bro your just nit picking me. I prove a point and your just throwing darts. Wouldn't matter what I say your going to deflect the obvious back towards irrelevant conjecture

Runnin around the backfield doesnt make you Mahomes or Rogers.

You proved no point that i’ve seen.  

Look, i’m not keeping him on the sidelines.  Try this crap with Ballard and Reich.  Im sure their Emails are easy to find.

He apparently (to 32 NFL teams) isn’t a backup quality, let alone starting caliber.   That name on his back is helping him stick around as long as he has.  Not sure why that is so difficult.

4 hours ago, Indeee said:

My position has not personally changed. I was not in favor of the Colts drafting a QB this year. I didn't care who the QB was, I just didn't want to happen what now faces this team. The following bolded is what I responded to @stitches yesterday when speaking of A FAIR SHOT to win the QB job in reference to Kelly.

If Eason was a 6th-7th round pick I would feel better, but he was a fourth meaning he will at least get a guaranteed couple of years or at least length of rook deal. So unless Colts dump JB as post June 1st cut, Kelly seems odd man out. If there is no NFL season this year though it would favor Kelly more as JBs contract is good through this year. If NFL cancels season,  JB would be FA next year and not resigned making it Rivers(they would resign him in no season scenario), Kelly, and Eason. Then I would be fine as Kelly would outplay Eason then. But no way they keep 4 QBs if season goes on as usual and I'm not sure I trust Colts dumping JB even if Kelly has great offseason or not. That was why I didn't want a QB drafted,  to eliminate this scenario the Colts now face

For me, this has always been about Kelly getting a fair shot to win the QB job. However I'm not sure that will be possible, as stated above. Forget what Ballard says as each person on here should know most 1st-4th round rookie QBs at least get a couple years, that's a given.

Taking Ballard at face though, Considering this is a potential truncated season, where does the improvement opportunity for Kelly come into play? And in the opposite scenario, does anyone on here rightfully believe that the Colts wouldn't also take into consideration the "Truncated season" when evaluating if Eason had a fair shot as well? One way or another, a decision will have to be made, but first I will say this.

I DON'T KNOW if Kelly would be good or bad. I think he could be, just like some of you think Eason could be. My grief again is where did Kelly get a REAL shot? On the Practice squad? In the film room?

Kelly's unfortunate ordeal here started with HIS OWN doing, that is true. The suspension, IMO cost him the back-up gig, as when the Colts knew he would not be available for the two games, coupled with not knowing what they had or did not have in Kelly, they signed Hoyer. And Hoyer's price tag ultimately took Kelly out of any possible chance of being the back-up last season short of Hoyer falling off a cliff. That is a fact. Should Kelly be crucified his REAL shot because of an immature act that got him suspended for 2 games? So where was the REAL shot in all of that? Let's fast forward to when JB stunk up the joint for the final 5-6 games, yet the Colts kept JB in. Why? We all know, it was so the Colts could've never been accused of not giving JB a full season REAL shot. If you think otherwise, you're lying to yourself. Hoyer was terrible, so he wasn't going to JUST replace JB without injury circumstance, yet because of the Colts underlying deal in JB having an entire season, barring injury, Kelly did not receive a REAL shot. Kelly could have had a real shot in the last two games at minimum, but nope. 

Now let's move onto this offseason. Forget that the Colts signed Kelly for a couple years. They signed Rivers. Ok, Rivers IS the starter. So, this means Kelly and JB battle for the back-up position. I'm GOOD with that as I know Kelly beats out JB easily. Enter the draft, and the Colts look like they won't be taking a QB and it's looking like that shot that I believe Kelly AT LEAST deserves, will come to pass if training camps ever open, but NOPE because in the 4th round Colts take Eason.

Again, I explained the scenario the Colts now face in my response bolded above to @stitches yesterday, and how it most likely will play out regardless of what Ballard stated yesterday. We all should be smart enough to realize that, except for a couple of drastic pipe dream scenarios, that Kelly in all tense and purpose will be the odd man out and I think it's GARBAGE.

There are Kelly fans on here and now there are Eason fans. Some of which liked Eason from the start, some that just wanted a fresh QB situation and are starting to come around on the NEW guy, and some who are like myself. It doesn't matter who you like or do not like, this is about getting a FAIR shot and I know full well that if the Colts cut Eason during Training Camp this year, whenever that might be, ALL of you Eason fans will be screaming the same thing that I have been for months and that is Eason didn't get a REAL shot.

So taking the popularity out of it, answer me this?

Where in all that has gone on in the timeline of Kelly being with the Colts do any of you think this kid got a REAL shot?

Answer: He hasn't and it's H****S***.

We all deserve/deserved a chance to see if this kid could lead this team and if he couldn't, then so be it, but based on the Colts wasting a pick on Eason, it looks like we never will.

I agree with you 110 per cent!!! I was fighting all last year for Kelly to get a fair chance to be the starter!!!! Then the coaches told Kelly he will get a fair chance this off season!!! I don’t see that happening either, now that Eason was drafted!!! Why is Brissett still on this team, he is a bum!!! Chad Kelly could outplay Brissett left handed!!!! Cut Brissett problem solved. Kelly and Eason battle it out to back up Rivers!!!!

3 hours ago, Hoose said:

Just for fun, care to lay a wager on how that competition turns out? I’d be more than happy to take Eason and give you Kelly with almost any odds you’d care to suggest,but I suspect no one will take that bet. 

No thanks. 

Who would?

9 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Because he is good...better than Brissett...but for some  reason Brissett is still around. Brissett needs to be gone and everything will work itself out with Rivers, Kelly and Eason.

Enough already!  Trade or cut Brissett...end the controversy and let the team and fans move forward.

Just one question for you. What evidence against starting caliber NFL players do you have to show that Kelly is better than JB? 

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

Ok tell that to the Packers, Chiefs, Ravens, Bengals, Seahawks, Niners, Dolphins, Giants, Bills,  Jets, Browns, Cowboys, Titans, Jags, Bears, Chargers, Texans, Cardinals, Rams, Eagles, broncos. Only raiders, Colts, Pat's, Bucs, saints, panthers, skins, vikings, falcons, steelers and lions currently do not have mobile QBs

Wow, what are you considering as far as these QBs are concerned? Someone who runs for yardage or is  able to move in the pocket? Rodgers can move in the pocket but hardly run beyond the LOS. I would not consider him a duel threat QB. Niners, Dolphins, Jets, Browns, Titans, Jags, Bears, Chargers, Rams and Broncos I don't consider to have QBs that are duel threats. I think you are way over blowing this. I don't think that CK is a duel threat either. Eason can move in the pocket (4.78 40 time) but he has not been effective on the move as much as throwing from the pocket. Not terribly unusual but something he has to learn. I like CK but you are starting to change my mind with you ranting.

2 hours ago, Horseshoelife19 said:
6 hours ago, Indeee said:

I agree with you 110 per cent!!! I was fighting all last year for Kelly to get a fair chance to be the starter!!!! Then the coaches told Kelly he will get a fair chance this off season!!! I don’t see that happening either, now that Eason was drafted!!! Why is Brissett still on this team, he is a bum!!! Chad Kelly could outplay Brissett left handed!!!! Cut Brissett problem solved. Kelly and Eason battle it out to back up Rivers!!!!

When did the coaches tell Kelly he would get a fair chance and when did they renege and tell him he won't now get a fair chance?

7 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Dang, and I thought I liked Kelly. I felt like I seen enough good from Kelly to give him the shot at leading the team this year, or at the very least, the opportunity to try.

This is the thing though, there is no way you have seen enough good or bad from Kelly to give him a shot at leading the team.  See a few pass plays against third string defenses in the preseason does not show you anything on what it takes to lead a team or be a starting QB.  You have no idea, how he was in the meeting rooms, in the film sessions.  You have no idea how well he did on the game plan test, you have no idea how he does in practice, when running the scout team.  You see a few passes in a preseason game and think you've seen enough?  Do you vote by listening to sound bites?  To you buy stock because you get an unsolicited email?  In your job do you learn 1/10 of what you need to learn and declare yourself ready?  We as fans see very little of what goes into determining if someone should start or not.

I've edited this thread because it went off when the words politically correct were used.

The post that started it all gets it's point across more effectively without them.

FYI, the definition

politically correct

adj.

Conforming to a particular sociopolitical ideology or point of view, especially to a liberal point of view concerned with promoting tolerance and avoiding offense in matters of race, class, gender, and sexual orientation.

adj.

Avoiding offense based on demographics especially race, sex, religion, ideology, sexuality, or social grouping

adj.

Used other than as an idiom.

13 hours ago, CR91 said:

I don't know what we have in Eason. What I do know is Kelly is a preseason QB and nothing better. You thinking he's a franchise QB because he made a few schoolyard throws is absurd.

Indee's point was that we don't know exactly what we have in CK (nor do you) because he hasn't been given the chance to play in the regular season. I've said it numerous times: there was no reason for JB to start the last couple of games and CK should've been given a chance.

Anyway, I am gonna be routing for Eason as we actually drafted him and looks like he has been a Colts fan his whole life.

14 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If we play preseason games this forum is going to be fun with the Eason Kelly battle.

Why does Kelley/Eason have to battle for a position while JB is gifted one. No questions asked and no performance qualifiers have to be obtained. Why is JB entitled automatically? He hasn't shown anything as a good QB since he's been in the league. Alot of people are saying he's a good backup QB. I don't see it. What he is IMO is someone who gives you no chance. Sorry, i know this is not popular but it's how i see it.

12 hours ago, csmopar said:

And how often are those QBs hurt? And how many QBs have some of those teams gone thru recently? 

there’s also a difference between a mobile QB in the pocket, and highly mobile QBs who rely more on their legs to make plays than their arms. The latter of those, do not have long shelf lives. 5-7 years tops. 

you have both types of mobile QBs lumped together, when in actuality, they are a different breed and style of QB. 

For the record I said QBs with mobility in general, not any classification between highly or moderately mobile. Meaning the ability to either run for yards or move to escape pressure extend plays. All the teams I lumped together have QBs who can do that. Eason cannot. This isn't speculation its fact. It's why one of his biggest knocks is terrible under pressure, takes too many sacks as his awareness and moving in the pocket to extend plays is highly questionable to date or virtually non existent, hence why he is viewed as a statuesque QB mold. Kelly can move thus he is Mobile and was evident in extending plays during his college/preseason action. That was my point here. Our oline, though it might be able to truly give a guy like Eason time to throw from clean pockets, if it breaks down, Eason is not the guy to adjust to that in his current state of Quarterbacking at any level and if you believe that's going to be coached or dramatically change as he matures, you are wrong. If you dont mind that, fine, but the NFL landscape is going away from that type of QB when able to. 

9 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

This is the thing though, there is no way you have seen enough good or bad from Kelly to give him a shot at leading the team.  See a few pass plays against third string defenses in the preseason does not show you anything on what it takes to lead a team or be a starting QB.  You have no idea, how he was in the meeting rooms, in the film sessions.  You have no idea how well he did on the game plan test, you have no idea how he does in practice, when running the scout team.  You see a few passes in a preseason game and think you've seen enough?  Do you vote by listening to sound bites?  To you buy stock because you get an unsolicited email?  In your job do you learn 1/10 of what you need to learn and declare yourself ready?  We as fans see very little of what goes into determining if someone should start or not.

I’ve seen what I need to see as a fan and I liked his potential. All this is based off of more than just seeing him play in a few meaningless preseason games. What I see is a team who has taken a college talent on par with a higher draft pick but his off field antics really killed his status. I’ve seen a team who paid this kid way more than the minimum to play on the PS for them. I’ve seen a team that elevated him to the 53 man when they didn’t have to if they didn’t have some faith in him and then I seen a team keep him on the 5e when they easily could have justified cutting him last year for a positional spot during the injury plagued end of the season. All of this together tells me the team is higher on him than several of the people in this forum who hate him because he was an * as a young man. It’s now been how long since his name has shown up in a negative newspaper article for being an *? 

Kelly May or may not amount to a thing at all and it’s quite possible he will be cut to start the 2020 regular season when it gets down to the selection of our 53, however, he is still a member of this team and a talent several of us fans are rooting for. I will continue to do so until he is gone from the team and then I will root on the guys that are still here, I won’t belly ache that he was cut if that’s the case. I do believe though if he isn’t cut and JB is, we will hear the JB fans or the CK haters, they will come out with a fury. 

The problem I had was not letting Kelly play the last 2 games of the year when we were out of the playoffs and JB was stinking it up. I am not sure who made that decision but it was just plain stupid. If they would have played Kelly against 1st string players for 2 games you would have known what you have in Kelly. Were you so afraid of hurting JB feelings or what. The next year you demote him and sign Rivers. We all know that Eason is going to be favored over Kelly because he is Ballards new toy and his 4th round pick

After thinking about the draft for a day or 2, I like what the Colts did.  Getting Buckner was huge and I think it will pay off.  I do wish they would have drafted some more D-line help.   I'm not high on Windsor.  

Taylor was unexpected, but should help out this year and going forward.  

7 minutes ago, BigO said:

The problem I had was not letting Kelly play the last 2 games of the year when we were out of the playoffs and JB was stinking it up. I am not sure who made that decision but it was just plain stupid. If they would have played Kelly against 1st string players for 2 games you would have known what you have in Kelly. Were you so afraid of hurting JB feelings or what. The next year you demote him and sign Rivers. We all know that Eason is going to be favored over Kelly because he is Ballards new toy and his 4th round pick

I would have been happy with him starting the final game only.  At that point, we knew what JB was.  I'm not a big Kelly supporter, but if the team was going to keep him on the team, no harm in putting him against 1st stringers.  

I'm hoping the Colts get rid of Brissett to allow Eason to take more reps.

41 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I’ve seen what I need to see as a fan and I liked his potential. All this is based off of more than just seeing him play in a few meaningless preseason games. What I see is a team who has taken a college talent on par with a higher draft pick but his off field antics really killed his status. I’ve seen a team who paid this kid way more than the minimum to play on the PS for them. I’ve seen a team that elevated him to the 53 man when they didn’t have to if they didn’t have some faith in him and then I seen a team keep him on the 5e when they easily could have justified cutting him last year for a positional spot during the injury plagued end of the season. All of this together tells me the team is higher on him than several of the people in this forum who hate him because he was an * as a young man. It’s now been how long since his name has shown up in a negative newspaper article for being an *? 

Ahh, I see, you base it ona few meaningless plays in the preseason and the fact that he was paid more than the minimum for a PS player.  Forgive me, I did not know you had so much insider information.  And the team may be higher on him than some forum members, but so what.  They are obviously not that high on him because they spent a 4th round draft pick to compete with him.

41 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Kelly May or may not amount to a thing at all and it’s quite possible he will be cut to start the 2020 regular season when it gets down to the selection of our 53, however, he is still a member of this team and a talent several of us fans are rooting for. I will continue to do so until he is gone from the team and then I will root on the guys that are still here, I won’t belly ache that he was cut if that’s the case. I do believe though if he isn’t cut and JB is, we will hear the JB fans or the CK haters, they will come out with a fury. 

Personally, I don't care what Kelly may have done in college, I do't care what he may have done with Denver.  The fact is, coming out of college he was considered a 5-7th round talent and his off the field issues pushed him to the 7th round.  It's not like he was a first round talent with off the field issues.  And the little I saw in the preseason last year was he had a nice run, he threw some good balls but he also was late on several throws, inaccurate on several through and poor placement on throws that he got away with against 3rd stringers but would not get away against starters and primary backups.  In short he still has work to do as a QB.  

13 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I remember stating that I have never...ever....seen a practice squad player get the massive amount of threads, posts, and support that CK has. Not in any sport, and chat room, etc. And I got blow back for that. Yet....it continues. In fact, I'll be willing to wager that there will be posts about him, long after he is no longer a Colt. 

If Chad Kelly is not on the regular season roster this season...there is one reason, and one reason only. 

Because he isn't good enough. 

I'm kind of mad at myself that I've spent this much of my time convincing people that they should have nowhere near the investment they seem to have into a player like him. This is the weirdest obsession I've ever seen by a section of the fanbase around here.

I think I will actively avoid talking about him until he deserves that sort of attention from now on.

I trust and believe in Reich and Ballard.  To keep beating this horse (Why Kelly is already in the Colts ring of honor), is unworthy of continued discussion...IMHO.  Going into 2020, we'll have Rivers, Brissett and Eason.  There's still an outside shot that it could be Kelly rather than Jacoby but, I seriously doubt that.  Move on.

2 hours ago, lincolndefan said:

Why does Kelley/Eason have to battle for a position while JB is gifted one. No questions asked and no performance qualifiers have to be obtained. Why is JB entitled automatically? He hasn't shown anything as a good QB since he's been in the league. Alot of people are saying he's a good backup QB. I don't see it. What he is IMO is someone who gives you no chance. Sorry, i know this is not popular but it's how i see it.

I agree with you. Just going with what Ballard said. 

17 hours ago, CR91 said:

For God sakes :facepalm:

I really don't understand why Chad Kelly has such a following. 

Indeee. Dont let most of the posters on this forum get down. To be honest with you, most are ignorant, stupid or plain and simple *s. They see a player making circus catches in practice and all of a sudden he is an NFL caliber reciever. Yet when a QB goes out and plays in a preseason game with third stringers on his own team, with very few reps, and still looks decent, why not take a look? Hey, most of these same people think JB is a starting QB. I think most of the same people are sadomasochist. They want to be punished and ridiculed.

Speaking for myself, the one who started this all, and after seeing what others have stated on here in regards toward optimism in Kelly, I think it's pretty clear. We, meaning the ones who are optimistic about Kelly have not been screaming this guy is the next HOF QB. We are throwing out our support in just wanting to see him PLAY. Wanting our Colts to at least give him a shot to play with the above average talent on this team and against the higher talent in games so we can see if he has what it takes or not. It seems, a lot though, not all, who are posting against our desire for that to happen are mainly making fun or making arguments for arguments sake. I personally believe that if every Colts fan on here TRULY wants what is best for this team, where finding our QB of the future is concerned, then ALL Colts fans should want what we Kelly supporters want as well, to see if a guy who is currently a Colt and that has been a Colt can be our future at that position. We ALL already know what Rivers is. He is proven and he will start, however Rivers is not a FUTURE plan regardless of whether this team wins a SB or not while he is here. We all know what JB is and I think it is safe to say that we can agree JB is okay and a decent back-up but will not likely be a franchise type QB anywhere especially here and we know that because JB has had actually playing chances against higher level talent. Eason was just drafted, who knows if he will or will not get that opportunity to play against higher level talent, no one can say, however he should not be given that chance before the guy who already has been here just because he was drafted from a higher slot. Kelly IS here and has been here though and just like JB who has gotten his chance, deserves his as well and THAT and that alone is what this is all about. Nothing more or nothing less. It's not about whether some of us like Kelly and some do not for whatever those reasons may be, it's that ALL Colts fans should want to see if this guy can lead this team or has what it takes to be an elite/above average QB in this league and if he can't, then at least he was given a real shot and he faltered, and we move on. If he is given that chance and succeeds then we ALL put differences aside and move on with our QB together. There is no reason to not want to see that as what would it hurt? That's why I don't understand why many Colts fans are so quick to pass Kelly off or use speculation that Kelly has already had chances or use the fact that he hasn't played against higher talent as a means to an end on Kelly, when we already know why he has not been given that chance and it has nothing to do with his talent or potential. He has not played with the higher talent so far because of 2 main reasons.

1) Brissett given a FULL season to be the future. Call it seniority, call it based on how much the organization hyped this guy, call it a locker room likeability/locker room leader, call it what you will, but it was a decision made by the brass behind the scenes where barring a season ending injury Brissett was going to start an entire season without a controversy of being replaced regardless of performance.

2) Hoyers monetary contract. Say what you will, however there was no way Kelly was going to take over the back-up role from a guy who was paid 9mil. That is a fact, regardless of whether Kelly outplayed Hoyer.

So all the chances in film study, off the field maturing, practices, and whatever was never going to give Kelly a real chance based on what I wrote above even though a lot on here has already said Kelly has had more chances than most. He has not in the reality of what the Colts situation was last season and it's time to stop making arguments for arguments sake and acknowledge the facts whether your a fan of Kelly or not.

Peace 

47 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Personally, I don't care what Kelly may have done in college,

I mostly agreed with you post, but not totally with this part.    Only because both Eason and Kelly played in the SEC for some time.   That at least gives us a little bit good info for comparison.   

Archived