Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Day Later

Indeee

On 4/27/2020 at 8:27 PM, Btown_Colt said:

My goodness. All of this over one player who has never played in a regular season game. 

I thought he looked good in preseason too. I wanted to see him late last year, mainly because I was never excited about JB and was over watching him play. 

I get all the different opinions on him, but what I can’t quite fathom is all the people who think he is a future hall-of-famer yet think the entire Colts organization, from Jim Irsay all the way down to the assistant of the assistant water boy is too blind to see it....come on now. If he was as good as some of you make him out to be, someone would have seen it. 

Its probably just we as fans just dont know what he can or cant do in real game play.  Well, the Kelly fan club should finally realize that we may not, but the team does. Must not be good enough. Get over it.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/27/2020 at 12:27 PM, Stephen said:

Brissett  should be traded or cut. Not sure how he even feels comfortable  being  on the team with the signing of rivers and the drafting  of another  qb. Eason and Kelly  can compete for the backup position  and if they feel niether  are the answer long term draft another qb next year

I think we will see a great deal of Kelly and Eason in the pre season.

If they are neck and neck and both do very well, THEN I see a conversation with JB giving him the road out.

If they both have a weak preseason, then you almost have to keep JB.

Its very clear that JB is valued by the coaching staff, and to be honest..... If we had a Manning or a Luck in their prime, JB is a perfect back up

That is NOT our situation today

Without having a franchise QB locked up for the future, I think you have to give your young QBs that MIGHT be your future QB as many reps as possible

If CK surprises everyone, and clearly beats out Eason, I am fine with cutting Eason

If Eason clearly beats out CK, I am fine with cutting CK 

The sooner you get rid of the bottom QB with no future...... the better

As long as we don’t have the QB of the future lined up, I am fine with looking at multiple QBs until you find the right guy. 

This may take several years, and multiple picks of QBs..... but I bet that if Eason and CK do poorly or even average, we will be going full in on a QB in the draft next year.... 

1 hour ago, BigO said:

Dalton was under contract also. If they would have been smarter last year and played Kelly the last 2 games they would know more of what they have in Kelly. Then we would not have to overpay for a backup that is not very good. Like I said the saints got Winston for a little over 1 million

What other teams do means exactly zero to do with Ballard and what he does with the Colts.

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

If CK surprises everyone, and clearly beats out Eason, I am fine with cutting Eason

I'm not. One has had 3 years to make a difference, one will have had one preseason. 

If Eason clearly beats out CK, I am fine with cutting CK 

I agree.

The sooner you get rid of the bottom QB with no future...... the better

I can't grasp your direction. The bottom QB has a task other than being the future franchise.

Answers in red.

The good news for Kelly’s Heroes is that Ballard publicly stated Eason and Kelly are officially battling it out for 3rd place. At least we should get training camp reports as the battle takes shape. Lord help us if Kelly looks good in camp and Eason doesn’t. 

29 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Answers in red.

What is a primary role that you speak of for the 3rd QB?

IMHO.... that’s a role that is developing for future.

If a 3rd string QB has absolutely no chance to help your club.... why bother?

In regards to Eason, If he shows up and doesn’t work, and doesn’t take the time to learn..... I don’t think they keep him..... even this year ......  He was a 4th round for a reason.

On this.... I take CB at his word.... “He has to make the team first”

What I think will actually happen will lead to a difficult choice for the Colts FO

Both Eason and CK will come to camp and fight for their position.  I think they both will look good......

Maybe good enough to be QB2

That will leave you with, the JB question .....

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

What other teams do means exactly zero to do with Ballard and what he does with the Colts.

Maybe that is why we have missed the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years and we are dishing out 56.5 million for quarterbacks this coming year and 2 are not even on our roster. I do realize it is a big no-no to say anything bad about Ballard on this forum

3 minutes ago, BigO said:

Maybe that is why we have missed the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years and we are dishing out 56.5 million for quarterbacks this coming year and 2 are not even on our roster. I do realize it is a big no-no to say anything bad about Ballard on this forum

That is not the point.

56.6 million for two QBs who are not on the roster? Just who are they?

Both Rivers and Brissett's contract are off the books next season so just hold your pee.  

Ballard has said what he is going to do. Till he changes his mind it is what it is.

Ballard is not risking this team to a back up QB with no experience. What's so hard to understand about that?

When Luck walked away from the Colts he not only put this team behind the 8 ball, he put Ballard in a no win situation.  Now you want to point a finger at Ballard? geez, :facepalm:

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

What is a primary role that you speak of for the 3rd QB?
From who's perspective? From the players perspective, to get better and maybe someday be a starter. From the teams perspective, more likely to run the scout team, emulate that weeks QB in practice against the defense, study film for tendencies, and so on. 

IMHO.... that’s a role that is developing for future.

Of course, but that is not their only role. 

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

If a 3rd string QB has absolutely no chance to help your club.... why bother?

Who says that the only way a QB can help a team is getting good enough to be the starter?

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is not the point.

56.6 million for two QBs who are not on the roster? Just who are they?

Both Rivers and Brissett's contract are off the books next season so just hold your pee.  

Ballard has said what he is going to do. Till he changes his mind it is what it is.

Ballard is not risking this team to a back up QB with no experience. What's so hard to understand about that?

When Luck walked away from the Colts he not only put this team behind the 8 ball, he put Ballard in a no win situation.  Now you want to point a finger at Ballard? geez, :facepalm:

First of all get your facts straight. The 56 million is being spent on 5 quarterbacks for next year including Hoyer and Luck who are not even on the team. No other team in the league is spending that much money on their quarterbacks. That is just not smart. Some of that money could be used on useful players that could help us win next year. Hoyer was a bad signing last year. Almost everybody on here was against that signing. That is on your buddy Ballard

4 hours ago, BigO said:

First of all get your facts straight. The 56 million is being spent on 5 quarterbacks for next year including Hoyer and Luck who are not even on the team. No other team in the league is spending that much money on their quarterbacks. That is just not smart. Some of that money could be used on useful players that could help us win next year. Hoyer was a bad signing last year. Almost everybody on here was against that signing. That is on your buddy Ballard

And what player are we missing out on? 

It makes no difference what other teams are spending their money on. 

Who cares? 

42 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

That is our greatest need - a defensive end. I think he'd help us a lot more than Brissett carrying a clipboard.

Sorry but defensive end is not this teams biggest need. (offensive line depth) 

It has been shown that Clowney is a good player but not near as good as advertised. 

You might as well get over being butt hurt over Brissett. He is only one player out of 90 right now. 

I think this team is at an internal crossroads and I think it really isn't any real fault of their own at the foundational issue that has caused this. Not bashing Luck, but being completely honest, Luck set this team into a cracked foundation, a crack we have not yet been able to seal properly. Where I do believe that this organization has, for the most part, built upon that foundation that was damaged or not laid correctly by Grigson, the missing piece is the piece that stabilizes the base and that is the QB. I think the reason they have been so adamant about JB all along is that JB possess a lot of characteristics that normally, a sound structural part of a foundation would hold and through the first half of last season it seemed, even though not completely solidifying that quickly, that the crack might have a chance to eventually be sealed once it completely dried. Unfortunately though, that sealant(JB) never completely solidified and remains wet to the touch as we speak and began to seep out the sides of the crack, and that has bewildered everyone to as why? Why didn't JB completely solidify into that crack? Rivers, Kelly, and Eason are all band-aids at this point, with Rivers being the largest band-aid in the box. Rivers cannot be the sealant this team is looking for long term only because his cannister is pretty close to being empty. Whether it be Kelly or Eason, JB, or someone else, this team will never be completely rock solid at it's foundation until the void of a QB is sealed properly. IMO, this organization needs to completely scrape out and remove JB from this foundation to allow either Kelly or Eason the opportunity to completely solidify and fill that void, and if the organization still wants that to be JB then fine, but every ounce of his substance needs to be completely removed from that crack, allowing Kelly, Eason, and JB an equal shot to see who can solidify completely the quickest without any head starts or partially filled cracks. Filling a void partly with one substance that only slightly solidifies and then starts to either seep or break apart(JB), then slapping a patch over that area to stop the seeping while hoping it solidifies underneath(Rivers), and if that doesn't work entirely, entertaining the idea of using another substance to add to the part of the original substance that solidified partially in hoping each will bond together to fill the void, just won't work. Any builder will tell you that in order to get proper adhesion you must have one substance and one substance alone that will completely solidify and if the substance doesn't solidify on the first take, you clean out the area entirely and fill it again, you don't add to it and hope two substances gel together. IMHO, this organization needs to completely remove JB entirely from the foundation, however if they believe that JB can still completely solidify and just needs a little more time to dry under the patch of Rivers, we won't have that QB void completely solidified anytime soon.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry but defensive end is not this teams biggest need. (offensive line depth) 

It has been shown that Clowney is a good player but not near as good as advertised. 

You might as well get over being butt hurt over Brissett. He is only one player out of 90 right now. 

Depth anywhere is not a greater need than a starting defensive end.

He doesn't have to be as good as advertised - I'd just like an improvement over what we had last year. A "good player" would be more than enough there.

10 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

He doesn't have to be as good as advertised - I'd just like an improvement over what we had last year. A "good player" would be more than enough there.

We have the replacement already on the team 

JC is not a starter

6 hours ago, BigO said:

Clowney

If the Colts wanted Clowney instead of JB, they could cut JB and sign Clowney. It's pretty obvious that even if they do want Clowney -- which, I don't think they do -- they won't want him instead of JB.

And by the way, if they wanted Clowney and Brissett, they could make that happen today.

Two year contract, $36m, $14m signing bonus, $6m salary, 2020 cap hit would be $13m, and Clowney would make $20m in Year 1. Year 2 has a player/team mutual option. If he opted out and signed elsewhere, the Colts could get a 2022 comp pick. 

That structure would leave the Colts with approximately $10m cap space in 2020. 

I'm just a guy on the Internet. I took a minute to figure out the new CBA rules for comp picks / player options, went to OTC and figured out the contract structure, and plugged it in. The Colts have Mike Bluem, who is a professional cap manager. They know that if they wanted to add Clowney, they could. They also know that if they wanted to cut JB, they could.

This tells me that the Colts don't want Clowney. Whether they don't want to pay him what he's asking, or don't think he fits the team, or don't think he's so much better than their own guys to be worth that kind of money... if they wanted him, they could have him. So they must not want him.

And that has nothing to do with JB.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

If the Colts wanted Clowney instead of JB, they could cut JB and sign Clowney. It's pretty obvious that even if they do want Clowney -- which, I don't think they do -- they won't want him instead of JB.

And by the way, if they wanted Clowney and Brissett, they could make that happen today.

Two year contract, $36m, $14m signing bonus, $6m salary, 2020 cap hit would be $13m, and Clowney would make $20m in Year 1. Year 2 has a player/team mutual option. If he opted out and signed elsewhere, the Colts could get a 2022 comp pick. 

That structure would leave the Colts with approximately $10m cap space in 2020. 

I'm just a guy on the Internet. I took a minute to figure out the new CBA rules for comp picks / player options, went to OTC and figured out the contract structure, and plugged it in. The Colts have Mike Bluem, who is a professional cap manager. They know that if they wanted to add Clowney, they could. They also know that if they wanted to cut JB, they could.

This tells me that the Colts don't want Clowney. Whether they don't want to pay him what he's asking, or don't think he fits the team, or don't think he's so much better than their own guys to be worth that kind of money... if they wanted him, they could have him. So they must not want him.

And that has nothing to do with JB.

Feel the same way

3 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

Not at his price tag. 

I think Buckner is going to make a huge difference in what the defense will be able to do. 

I just think that when you make the trade for Buckner and sign Rivers you need to go for it now. Signing Clowney could make this defense great especially maybe losing Sheard. Turay is a little bit of a question mark after that injury and who knows what you are going to get from Banogu and Lewis

4 minutes ago, BigO said:

I just think that when you make the trade for Buckner and sign Rivers you need to go for it now. Signing Clowney could make this defense great especially maybe losing Sheard. Turay is a little bit of a question mark after that injury and who knows what you are going to get from Banogu and Lewis

I think the problem is that JC wants Superstar money when he is no longer a superstar 

7 hours ago, Indeee said:

I think this team is at an internal crossroads and I think it really isn't any real fault of their own at the foundational issue that has caused this. Not bashing Luck, but being completely honest, Luck set this team into a cracked foundation, a crack we have not yet been able to seal properly. Where I do believe that this organization has, for the most part, built upon that foundation that was damaged or not laid correctly by Grigson, the missing piece is the piece that stabilizes the base and that is the QB. I think the reason they have been so adamant about JB all along is that JB possess a lot of characteristics that normally, a sound structural part of a foundation would hold and through the first half of last season it seemed, even though not completely solidifying that quickly, that the crack might have a chance to eventually be sealed once it completely dried. Unfortunately though, that sealant(JB) never completely solidified and remains wet to the touch as we speak and began to seep out the sides of the crack, and that has bewildered everyone to as why? Why didn't JB completely solidify into that crack? Rivers, Kelly, and Eason are all band-aids at this point, with Rivers being the largest band-aid in the box. Rivers cannot be the sealant this team is looking for long term only because his cannister is pretty close to being empty. Whether it be Kelly or Eason, JB, or someone else, this team will never be completely rock solid at it's foundation until the void of a QB is sealed properly. IMO, this organization needs to completely scrape out and remove JB from this foundation to allow either Kelly or Eason the opportunity to completely solidify and fill that void, and if the organization still wants that to be JB then fine, but every ounce of his substance needs to be completely removed from that crack, allowing Kelly, Eason, and JB an equal shot to see who can solidify completely the quickest without any head starts or partially filled cracks. Filling a void partly with one substance that only slightly solidifies and then starts to either seep or break apart(JB), then slapping a patch over that area to stop the seeping while hoping it solidifies underneath(Rivers), and if that doesn't work entirely, entertaining the idea of using another substance to add to the part of the original substance that solidified partially in hoping each will bond together to fill the void, just won't work. Any builder will tell you that in order to get proper adhesion you must have one substance and one substance alone that will completely solidify and if the substance doesn't solidify on the first take, you clean out the area entirely and fill it again, you don't add to it and hope two substances gel together. IMHO, this organization needs to completely remove JB entirely from the foundation, however if they believe that JB can still completely solidify and just needs a little more time to dry under the patch of Rivers, we won't have that QB void completely solidified anytime soon.

More metaphors, please!  :number1:

Archived