Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts release Hoyer

CR91

6 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Fine, but JB is the headache here.

We have time to decide on this one. According to this article: 

https://coltscap.com/clearing-up-cap-questions-for-colts-qbs/

there isn't much of a hurry to do anything with Brissett. We can save about 7M in roster bonus if we trade him by tomorrow, but even then the new team might demand we pay the bonus. Other than that 

At this point, here are the likely options:

1. Brissett stays on the roster as a backup at a cap hit of $21,375,000

2. Brissett is released anytime between right now and cut day, which saves the team $8,875,000 against the salary cap.  This number will not change until week 1 when his salary becomes guaranteed as a vested veteran.

3. Trade Brissett sometime after 3/22 and before start of season- Saves the same $8,875,000 as if he were released.

So... yeah... if we cannot strike a deal to trade him the better course of action is to just wait and see if a team will need a QB later in the off-season(due to injury, or striking out in FA/draft, etc). 

In other words... the overwhelming chance is that Jacoby will be on the Colts past tomorrow. 

I dont think we will trade Brissett. Or release him. I think we will hold onto him as a backup (albeit an expensive backup) for this season and draft the future QB next year. Ballard clearly doesnt rate the QBs in the draft this year, except for the ones that will be drafted too high. If he did like a QB that was reachable, so much that he truly believe he was the future franchise, he never would have traded the #13. As good a player Buckner is and all. But we have too many clear needs to fill in the draft this year, we will wait until next year and role with Rivers/Brissett.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I can see that, if the Colts have been talking to him about it, but signing him to the contract we did last year and then asking him to go back to the bench would be a hard pill to swallow. If he's okay with it, then so be it I guess.

50 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Fine, but JB is the headache here.

He really is when are they going to figure out that guy is not the answer to anything on this team. If they draft a QB then they got 3 QB's in the mix and way to much money invested in it. I know we only got Rivers on a one year deal but let's say he has a great year and still wants to play are we going to let him go after a great year I don't think so. 

33 minutes ago, Pelt said:

I can see that, if the Colts have been talking to him about it, but signing him to the contract we did last year and then asking him to go back to the bench would be a hard pill to swallow. If he's okay with it, then so be it I guess.

not hard to just take the money

49 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

They are stuck with him due to the poor contract Ballard gave him.

Yeah, Ballard really screwed the pooch on that one..... Good Lord are the Colts really over a Barrell now.... So limited in what they've been able to do this off-season.... We'll probably never know what they woulda coulda done if only Ballard hadn't done the truly unthinkable and given JB that contract.

Hindsight is 20/20.... Brissett pretty clearly was a disappointment in light of theblevel of confidence they showed in his ability to take the next step ...  JB stepped on his own nuts.... It happens.

2 hours ago, ar7 said:

I figured this was coming. I read somewhere that part of his salary is guaranteed soon. (today or tomorrow) I figure the team goes into the season with JB or a draft pick as the backup to Rivers.

I believe his $2 million roster bonus was to be guaranteed on 3/22/2020. His base salary becomes guaranteed on  the start of game #1.  Both of those are now erased, but there is still 2 million in prorated signing bonus. (dead cap).  if designated pre June 1 cut, it's a 2million dead cap hit.  Designated a post June 1 cyu allows 1 million dead cap hit in both 2020 and 2021.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I believe his $2 million roster bonus was to be guaranteed on 3/22/2020. His base salary becomes guaranteed on  the start of game #1.  Both of those are now erased, but there is still 2 million in prorated signing bonus. (dead cap).  if designated pre June 1 cut, it's a 2million dead cap hit.  Designated a post June 1 cyu allows 1 million dead cap hit in both 2020 and 2021.

this isnt right at all.

Currently he has a $5.5m dead cap.

With a $7m roster bonus that pays out tomorrow.(Already guaranteed, even if we release him right now)

Which will make his dead cap $12.5m.(can save $8.875m if we release him).

If not, his cap hit is $21.375m

If we can trade him tonight(likely not happening) we would only have a dead cap hit of $5.5m, as other team would pay his $7m roster bonus and other remaining money.

June 1st designation would allow us to take a dead cap hit in 2021 also.

Most likely look like this:

Total Owed:$12.5m

2020 dead cap hit:

$6.25m(but saving $15m for 2020 cap)

2021 dead cap hit:

$6.25m

Lot of dominoes to fall. Wouldn't be surprised on a trade(unless it happened tonight) at some point, but I dont see any chance we straight out release him. 

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

They must really like him paying that much for a backup quarterback. 

Nobody can predict the future they gave him that money because they probably thought he was gonna be the starter for 2020 season it's not like they knew rivers would part ways with the chargers

5 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Yeah, Ballard really screwed the pooch on that one..... Good Lord are the Colts really over a Barrell now.... So limited in what they've been able to do this off-season.... We'll probably never know what they woulda coulda done if only Ballard hadn't done the truly unthinkable and given JB that contract.

Hindsight is 20/20.... Brissett pretty clearly was a disappointment in light of theblevel of confidence they showed in his ability to take the next step ...  JB stepped on his own nuts.... It happens.

And, it hurt a bit...but all that $$ eases his pain.

6 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Wow...   so much wrong with this post it’s hard to know where to begin...   suffice to say I pretty much disagree with every word you wrote. 

I’m sorry there isn’t an emoji to show a dumpster fire.   Otherwise it would be yours. 

Everyone gets to share their opinion.   Even those who don't know very much about football.

Good luck... 

3 hours ago, w87r said:

this isnt right at all.

Currently he has a $5.5m dead cap.

With a $7m roster bonus that pays out tomorrow.(Already guaranteed, even if we release him right now)

Which will make his dead cap $12.5m.(can save $8.875m if we release him).

If not, his cap hit is $21.375m

If we can trade him tonight(likely not happening) we would only have a dead cap hit of $5.5m, as other team would pay his $7m roster bonus and other remaining money.

June 1st designation would allow us to take a dead cap hit in 2021 also.

Most likely look like this:

Total Owed:$12.5m

2020 dead cap hit:

$6.25m(but saving $15m for 2020 cap)

2021 dead cap hit:

$6.25m

Lot of dominoes to fall. Wouldn't be surprised on a trade(unless it happened tonight) at some point, but I dont see any chance we straight out release him. 

I see my error... why was I thinking B. Hoyer here, when it seems this is JB?

They both have/had  money guaranteed on 3/22/2020. Hoyer lost his... JB gets his.

Archived