Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts release Hoyer

CR91

28 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I see my error... why was I thinking B. Hoyer here, when it seems this is JB?

They both have/had  money guaranteed on 3/22/2020. Hoyer lost his... JB gets his.

This is the Brian Hoyer thread. So it appears I am the one wrong here.

Just saw a reference to JB in the post you quoted, but looking back I think you both were referring to Hoyer.

My apologies.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wow...   so much wrong with this post it’s hard to know where to begin...   suffice to say I pretty much disagree with every word you wrote. 

I’m sorry there isn’t an emoji to show a dumpster fire.   Otherwise it would be yours. 

Everyone gets to share their opinion.   Even those who don't know very much about football.

Good luck... 

I think the 1st paragraph was sarcasm.

7 minutes ago, esmort said:

I think the 1st paragraph was sarcasm.

I hope you’re right.   But I just read it again, and while I see how it could be read that way,  I don’t think it was intended to be sarcastic.   But I’d be happy if I was wrong.    

The last paragraph didn’t give me much confidence.   “stepped on his own nuts”?!?   WTH, Brissett went downhill after he got hurt.   It’s not exactly a state secret.    We’ll see if/when he responds...   hoping for the best...

11 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Nobody can predict the future they gave him that money because they probably thought he was gonna be the starter for 2020 season it's not like they knew rivers would part ways with the chargers

He was already under contract. Ballard did not have to give him a two year deal or even a one year deal for that matter. The Chargers parted way with Rivers not Rivers parting ways with the Chargers. Ballard giving a Rivers a two year deal is another mistake. There were better options than Rivers and they overpaid. I highly doubt any other club would want Rivers as their starting quarterback.

19 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

As Ballard said a few days ago.  Smart move. We need a reliable backup behind the 38 year old Rivers. 

Maybe, but it bothers me that it says the team thinks he is special.  He is not a special player and showed that.  If he was special as a player we wouldn't be signing Rivers.

This worries me.

30 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Maybe, but it bothers me that it says the team thinks he is special.  He is not a special player and showed that.  If he was special as a player we wouldn't be signing Rivers.

This worries me.

Yeah I don’t think Brissett is a special player but I do believe he gets blamed too much by the fan base for everything that went wrong. He isn’t as good as he looked when he started out 5-2 nor as bad as he looked down the stretch going 2-6.  He played well until his injury and losing most of his weapons on offense.  

I think when Ballard calls Jacoby special that he is referring more to his locker room presence, personality and ability to step up and lead under difficult circumstances, I.e. Luck’s sudden retirement.  He is also very experienced as a backup and one of the better ones in the league. As a backup for one more season I’m fine with keeping him on the roster as insurance for Rivers’ age.  Cutting Brissett right now might hurt the locker room chemistry and team QB room more than many people realize. 

8 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

He was already under contract. Ballard did not have to give him a two year deal or even a one year deal for that matter. The Chargers parted way with Rivers not Rivers parting ways with the Chargers. Ballard giving a Rivers a two year deal is another mistake. There were better options than Rivers and they overpaid. I highly doubt any other club would want Rivers as their starting quarterback.

Yeah his contract was about to end anyway why not pay if he's gonna be the starter anyway plus rivers had a one year contract not 2 right now it's a wait and see moment just everything else

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Not surprised at all.

Im not either 

Most on here do not realize the value of ab backup QB.  Everyone hating on Hoyer do not realize how much TB BB and the coward OC knew his value  

We have JB now which allows Hoyer to be expendable 

24 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Maybe, but not so fast...

I was talking about assumed #1. Many thought they were going to bring in a #1, or displaced #1 (like JB or Dalton), not really a journeyman like Hoyer. This move is much less threatening to Stidham IMO.

On Hoyer, he has been there twice before IIRC. He's not really as bad as folks here think. Reich totally hosed him not giving him practice reps before his only start. And then, instead of going run heavy against one of the worst run Ds in the league, Reich's game plan is to have Hoyer throw it 39 times... SMH...... I would not be shocked to see him win the starting gig at least to kick off the season. If I'm trying to win (instead of not trying to lose), I'd actually go with a well prepped Hoyer over JB.

Just now, EastStreet said:

I was talking about assumed #1. Many thought they were going to bring in a #1, or displaced #1 (like JB or Dalton), not really a journeyman like Hoyer. This move is much less threatening to Stidham IMO.

On Hoyer, he has been there twice before IIRC. He's not really as bad as folks here think. Reich totally hosed him not giving him practice reps before his only start. And then, instead of going run heavy against one of the worst run Ds in the league, Reich's game plan is to have Hoyer throw it 39 times... SMH...... I would not be shocked to see him win the starting gig at least to kick off the season. If I'm trying to win (instead of not trying to lose), I'd actually go with a well prepped Hoyer over JB.

Practice reps were going to JB .   With the thought of AL coming back .  After that they needed JB to get all he could 

14 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Practice reps were going to JB .   With the thought of AL coming back .  After that they needed JB to get all he could 

I'm talking about the week leading up to Miami when JB was injured. Reich sheet the bed giving Hoyer no reps, and then even worse with game plan. Both goofs were inexcusable. 

On 3/21/2020 at 4:35 PM, superrep1967 said:

He really is when are they going to figure out that guy is not the answer to anything on this team. If they draft a QB then they got 3 QB's in the mix and way to much money invested in it. I know we only got Rivers on a one year deal but let's say he has a great year and still wants to play are we going to let him go after a great year I don't think so. 

But ..... He's a leader and he..... doesn't throw interceptions!!! :woah: Therefore, that automatically qualities him as a great backup QB :applause: NOT!!!! Good post.

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'm talking about the week leading up to Miami when JB was injured. Reich sheet the bed giving Hoyer no reps, and then even worse with game plan. Both goofs were inexcusable. 

No way EastStreet .... He was injured remember and in fact for the remainder of the year. This is what some on here want us to believe. Therefore. it couldn't of been JB. :D Let's see ... who on the Colts looks like JB and played the second half of the year? I mean it couldn't have been JB! He was injured and won 7 games! :funny:

20 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yeah I don’t think Brissett is a special player but I do believe he gets blamed too much by the fan base for everything that went wrong. He isn’t as good as he looked when he started out 5-2 nor as bad as he looked down the stretch going 2-6.  He played well until his injury and losing most of his weapons on offense.  

I think when Ballard calls Jacoby special that he is referring more to his locker room presence, personality and ability to step up and lead under difficult circumstances, I.e. Luck’s sudden retirement.  He is also very experienced as a backup and one of the better ones in the league. As a backup for one more season I’m fine with keeping him on the roster as insurance for Rivers’ age.  Cutting Brissett right now might hurt the locker room chemistry and team QB room more than many people realize. 

See I didn't think he was that great when the Colts where 5-2.  

I did see some hope because we where winning and because there where games like Week 3 against Atlanta (28/37 for 310 yards and 2 TDs) and Week 7 (26/39 for 326 yards and 4 TDs)

But for those games I also saw games like Week 2 against Tennessee where while he threw 3 TD's he only threw for 146 yards and had a 5.2 yards per attempt or week 4 against oakland (5.8 yards per attempt) or week 5 against KC (5.2 yards per attempt).

Don't get me wrong I had hope and part of that hope that I likely expressed at the time was that he wasn't asked to do much because we ran so well.  But still while he had a few good games, a lot of games that the Colts won where games where JB really didn't play all that well.

And I think what happened at the end of the season was DC's keyed in that JB didn't throw downfield.  With Luck and starting with JB, everyone was so scared of TY pulling a double move on them that they kept their safeties back.  But they started to realize that JB didn't throw downfield and when he tried he almost always missed.  So they pushed the safeties up closer, closed down the short throwing lanes.  

Archived