Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SI: Why Brissett is still the Colts' future (Bonus: Trivia)

zibby43

What was supposed to be a great next five years has turned into trash. Not knowing the future. Wasting pressure years of Nelson, Moore and Leonard. It’s hard to see a bright future.  Ballard now has to prove he can build a team without luck. Reich has to prove he can coach without luck. Just a lot of uncertainty. It’s hard to get excited for the future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I know we have a lot of issues on both sides that need fix. But this year I have just had a bad vibe from Reich most of the season. Especially in this losing streak. He doesn’t have a top 5 QB anymore to cover up coaching flaws.  Why hasn’t Hines been used as a slot receiver more. Eberflus is hot and cold. Can’t stay consistent in how he game plans. I know some of that is we are just very young on defense. But come on. 

Just not sold on Reich yet. Will he beable to develop a QB. He is struggling with play calling. I know he has been hand strung but he isn’t innocent in this.

I don’t think Reich was the problem tonight. He was scheming guys open. JB just couldn’t take advantage.

I mean, on one play Pascal had an entire half of the field to himself but JB missed him. Hilton was open on a couple nice crossing patterns, but again, inaccurate passes from JB. Doyle was open on certain plays...etc.

I’m all for critiquing coaching, but I thought tonight Reich did his best to put JB in a position to succeed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

With this oline he would of been fine. But maybe with all the injuries to WR maybe not. I just have a sour taste in my mouth. 

Foles isn’t that great.  He’s been good with Eagles but that’s it.  Anywhere else he’s gone he’s struggled.  I know Frank’s here but Foles is pretty much what Jacoby is.  A good backup.  

24 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I don’t think Reich was the problem tonight. He was scheming guys open. JB just couldn’t take advantage.

I mean, on one play Pascal had an entire half of the field to himself but JB missed him. Hilton was open on a couple nice crossing patterns, but again, inaccurate passes from JB. Doyle was open on certain plays...etc.

I’m all for critiquing coaching, but I thought tonight Reich did his best to put JB in a position to succeed.

This team was not ready to play in any area of the game and came out very sloppy with a lot of flags.  That all falls on the head coach.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have already said JB played bad tonight but I also seen it coming. We weren't motivated tonight and that was obvious by our play as a team. Saints are still playing for a possible bye week.

we haven't been motivated the past like 5 weeks. probably has something to do with JB our "leader" sucking the past like 4 games he's played in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watching the game now. Holy hell, what a horrible first drive from Brissett. He threw a bad pass to Johnson on the go route, then threw an inaccurate comeback/backshoulder to Johnson but this time he bailed Jacoby out with an amazing adjustment and leaping catch(we might have something in Johnson, btw). Then he failed to recognize the uncovered blitzer and still gave the ball to Mack for easy TFL for the Saints, then he failed to organize the team and got lucky that didn't get penalty for delay of game, then on 3d and long had Pascal WIDE OPEN... like... noone at least 10 yards anywhere close to him and he couldn't hit him. Look at this:

bcBFUjp.png

He doesn't even have to be particularly accurate on this one... He just needs to not be horrible with it and he somehow managed to throw a horrible ball in this case too... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Watching the game now. Holy hell, what a horrible first drive from Brissett. He threw a bad pass to Johnson on the go route, then threw an inaccurate comeback/backshoulder to Johnson but this time he bailed Jacoby out with an amazing adjustment and leaping catch(we might have something in Johnson, btw). Then he failed to recognize the uncovered blitzer and still gave the ball to Mack for easy TFL for the Saints, then on 3d and long had Pascal WIDE OPEN... like... noone at least 10 yards anywhere close to him and he couldn't hit him. Look at this:

bcBFUjp.png

He doesn't even have to be particularly accurate on this one... He just needs to not be horrible with it and he somehow managed to throw a horrible ball in this case too... 

Yep, Brissett has regressed into absolute garbage. No wonder this team plays with no passion. They lose before the game begins. I had a choice to watch this game, and I watched wrestling instead (and I hate modern wrestling). Honestly don't want to watch another game with JB as QB.

BTW it sucks watching a game in which I know the the opposing QB threw 29/30. I just know he's going to complete everything now... I guess it's still interesting to see in what way he's going to dissect our zone... and yes... it seems like we are playing predominantly zone again... against one of the best QBs against zone that the game has ever seen. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, Brissett has regressed into absolute garbage. No wonder this team plays with no passion. They lose before the game begins. I had a choice to watch this game, and I watched wrestling instead (and I hate modern wrestling). Honestly don't want to watch another game with JB as QB.

I think the scheming is worth watching. Reich and Sirianni are doing some nice things in the pass game, but we don't have a QB to execute the offense in a way that will make it obvious. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I think the scheming is worth watching. Reich and Sirianni are doing some nice things in the pass game, but we don't have a QB to execute the offense in a way that will make it obvious. 

At this point, we just need a new QB. Draft one, sign one, Brissett is killing this team. Brissett just has too many flaws, and he needs a perfect team around him to win. Not to mention the games are just cringe to watch anymore. Was hard to watch on gametracker.

Drive 2: Very nice first pass on a crossing route by Brissett to Inman, but then it's followed by slightly inaccurate (but catchable 5 yard slant to Pascal, and then WILDLY inaccurate shallow crossing route to Hilton who was open. The pass was high and uncatchable. Drive stalls... 

JB is overthrowing everything right now. It's weird. It's possible his injury has something to do with his deteriorating mechanics and accuracy. I actually thought he had taken strides in that department in the first half of the year. If there is an aspect of his game that you can clearly see a difference pre and post injury it's this one. Still, a lot of those are easy throws that he needs to make if he's going to be on the field. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

we haven't been motivated the past like 5 weeks. probably has something to do with JB our "leader" sucking the past like 4 games he's played in.

30 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Agree, JB handling and the Vinny handling has this team in “who gives a crap” mode. TY was so frustrated out there last night. Worked his tail off to get back and play and for what, balls thrown all around you but not to you. It’s just sad we are watching Mr Rogers ( 70’s kids get the reference) handle team deficiencies. Vinny should have been IR’d 6 games before he was and JB should be benched for Hoyer or Kelly or you bring someone else over games ago. JB has killed this teams will and the fan bases patience, because many of us had it even if we weren’t certain how JB would pan out, we gave him time to show us he was as bad as he is. Now the team won’t deviate from having poor performances. Frustrating 

• Like 3

Reich has said over and over that JB is his guy. JB provides great value for the locker room and all of the guys like him. I heard them say that during the game again. When do you think that begins to collapse with Reich and the team? I’m thinking it’s starting to fall and Reich is just saving face a bit to finish out the season to get better for next season. I know JB is his guy, but who is Ballard’s guy? We will find out. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

BTW it sucks watching a game in which I know the the opposing QB threw 29/30. I just know he's going to complete everything now... I guess it's still interesting to see in what way he's going to dissect our zone... and yes... it seems like we are playing predominantly zone again... against one of the best QBs against zone that the game has ever seen. 

Well.... actually he went 28/30. The refs gifted him one pass for Christmas and Frank tied the bow on it himself by not challenging it. 

ACE61-E2-E-FDF0-4350-B229-5-CB09-BEF1-A9

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

I wanted to add that we seem to be mixing it up zone and man but Brees is killing us whatever coverage we give him. 

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

At this point, we just need a new QB. Draft one, sign one, Brissett is killing this team. Brissett just has too many flaws, and he needs a perfect team around him to win. Not to mention the games are just cringe to watch anymore. Was hard to watch on gametracker.

Both Brady and Brees are FAs.... Old ones. Same with Rivers. Gonna be a lot of QB movement. Luck's retiring couldnt have come at a worse time.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I do think there is something to his mechanics going down hill with the knee injury.  I mean it was not this bad to start the season.

i kind of think he's looked panicked since the injury. Watch his face

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Play like trash and you get bashed...he dresses and act like a G rated version of Cam Newton...

What’s the purpose of calling people trash. Does it make you feel better.  It is what it is and calling players names isn’t going to change anything. It’s not like they aren’t trying. Have a little respect.

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

the reason he is going downhill from the start of the season is teans are getting more film on him and have figured him out that's all there is to it. he wasn't that good to begin with just new to coordinators

Ding! Ding!

Winner for the second time!

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

What was supposed to be a great next five years has turned into trash. 

I might have phrased this different, but this is basically my big concern too. I'm probably going to type variations of this theme multiple times before the season is over, but the call of the NFL void is calling the Colts big time. Perpetual mediocrity (or just being bad) is the current trend for the franchise with last year being the bright spot, but they did start 1-5. Some might say that doesn't matter, but look at other bad teams.. it takes A LOT to get franchise's that don't have the guy at QB turned around, especially if they're years into the void. Guys just stop believing and I saw that last night. That might be the biggest reason why JB can't go into next season as the starter. I know I was on the other side of that just the other day, but holy crap, you can't nuke the teams identity and confidence with the fastball high, knuckle ball low routine. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Hopefully the reporting that Reich is committed to Brissett going forward is not written in stone. They said something to the effect that "this is Jacoby's team and they will not bring someone in to take his place. Can Rich be so blind that he can't see he's talking about a nice backup QB ? I will be sick to my stomach if we don't draft a QB in the first 2 rounds this coming April.

13 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Hopefully the reporting that Reich is committed to Brissett going forward is not written in stone. They said something to the effect that "this is Jacoby's team and they will not bring someone in to take his place. Can Rich be so blind that he can't see he's talking about a nice backup QB ? I will be sick to my stomach if we don't draft a QB in the first 2 rounds this coming April.

that's what Booger said and I trust his insight in the team about as much as my neighbors 

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

My biggest worry is Reich has lost the locker room and that will bleed into next year. 

my hope is you stop blaming everyone besides JB it's like 85% his fault we suck. his cruddy play brings down the O line and the run game it also hold Reich back because he is stuck with inferior talent at QB last but not least the D is exhausted every game because JB can't sustain a drive to save his freaking life

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jdubu said:

And quite honestly it might be the team strategy. The concern here is, the fan base is frightened that the club still considers JB as their guy, the franchise starter. That’s a scary possibility. 

I don’t know the ramifications of the team cutting JB after the season or a June 1 cap cut or when any escalators come into effect but this team can’t roll JB out next season as a starter. Maybe they hold JB until after the draft so it’s not 100% obvious they are going QB. It they have to find another QB as their guy. 

The Colts will lose a lot of fans if they made that decision to commit to JB...or at least they will tune out. It's just not an option at this point. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

my hope is you stop blaming everyone besides JB it's like 85% his fault we suck. his cruddy play brings down the O line and the run game it also hold Reich back because he is stuck with inferior talent at QB last but not least the D is exhausted every game because JB can't sustain a drive to save his freaking life

More then one thing can be true.

23 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Well, they were committed to Old Man Vinny until his leg fell off, despite being statistically the worst kicker in the league.

I'm pretty sure JB will be the starting QB for all of 2020 at which point Reich's coaching seat will be real hot. And then when his neck is on the line, he'll consider a change.

3 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Reich has said over and over that JB is his guy. JB provides great value for the locker room and all of the guys like him. I heard them say that during the game again. When do you think that begins to collapse with Reich and the team? I’m thinking it’s starting to fall and Reich is just saving face a bit to finish out the season to get better for next season. I know JB is his guy, but who is Ballard’s guy? We will find out. 

19 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Reich is saying that because JB is the best QB on the team. There's no point in saying or doing anything that undermines your starting QB. 

I get the feeling that, this offseason, the staff will make moves that don't exactly coincide with those statements. 

By the way, the MNF team is so bad. Booger started the broadcast by calling JB a no-doubt franchise QB, then JB played a terrible game, so he shifted his angle to saying 'Reich and the team believes JB is a franchise QB.' It was all nonsense. They don't know anything. I'm sure Reich said the same thing to them that he says in pressers, which is the PC thing to say in the middle of a season which got submarined when your real franchise QB retired in late August. I don't pay any attention to it.

Frank Reich, from the day he was hired, has talked about a relentless pursuit to get better, an obsession to finish. (JB isn't getting better, he's getting worse; and he can't finish.)

Chris Ballard, from the day he was hired, has talked about his football team never being about just one player, and emphasized the importance of competition from top to bottom. (JB is not above the team, and he is not excluded from roster competition.)

There is no way those two guys -- and let's throw Irsay in the mix also -- are going to put a cap on this season and not have improving the QB position at the top of their list.

The writing is on the wall. This is KC with Alex Smith (except he was better than JB). They know he's not good enough to commit to, and they are going to have a strategy to find the next guy. 

• Like 3

Colts aren't committed to JB past this season. I think that's just lip service. No way you'd want your starting QB thinking he's going to get yanked at any moment. They were obviously going the positive reinforcement route, as they should have.

JB is playing himself out of the job.

Brissett lacks a lot to become a franchise QB.

I haven't really watched the colts games since Luck retired, as I honestly don't believe in Brissett and thinks he's no more than a next level Curtis Painter.

Yes Brissett had his moments this season, but honestly... we will never make the playoffs with him as our QB.

People on various TV-shows talked about him as a top 10 QB in the NFL in the beginning of the year... well... don't find anyone who thinks that about him anymore. 

Brissett needs to learn how to scan the field and how to throw the ball down field. and that's not something you learn just like that.

Those who said he just need a full offseason to prepare as a starter... well he just had one full offseason to prepare as a starter. (Brissett has said this himself)

So give him next year or trade him this offseason, so we can get that Lawrance kid people talk about bc we need a new franchise QB and that's not Brissett.