Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SI: Why Brissett is still the Colts' future (Bonus: Trivia)

zibby43

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Honest question here, other than our O.Line what else is good about our team? It is not like JB is surrounded by a great team. Whoever we draft do not be shocked if he struggles unless our WR core gets upgraded and our D improves a lot. 

It's that he shows no positive traits as a QB... Ok not zero... But he lacks in the same areas he always has... If four years of NFL coaching doesn't fix your ability to read a d, progress through receivers, or leaf a guy with a pass... Or stop you from staring down your first option.... Better team talent doesn't fix those flaws.... He has those issues regardless, and they aren't going away.  Sure, more talent can mask some of that, but why settle for a QB you have to cover for with superior talent? Get better there, and elsewhere at the same time... A QB has a disproportionate effect on the team and outcome of games... He hurts us more often than he helps

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You're saying our O wasn't motivated? JB and TY slacking? Our OL kept JB pretty darn safe. We had pass catchers running open. NO keyed on our run the whole night. I don't know how that translates into the O not being motivated. 

On D, I don't like the soft zone much, but it does work a lot better when the O can sustain drives, and never works when we're constantly giving the ball back.

I have hated the way our D has played the last 2 weeks. Can't win giving up over 30 points. I just think as a team we looked bad, JB included.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

None of the QB's I have listed were better than JB and JB isn't better than Luck. I just think it is time to move on and draft someone. I have also already said I am fine taking Love in round 1 because I don't think Kelly is the answer.

But you haven’t even seen Kelly, that’s the issue the fan base is having. Is CB trying to show how smart he is into a top 10 pick this season and staying loyal to “his guy”? JB is being treated like he has been Brady level quality for 10 years and is given the veteran benefit of the doubt here, not a guy who has had almost 2 seasons worth of starts now. It’s beyond maddening. I can understand some patience and loyalty to a degree but we are way past that. Was with Vinny who is a HOF player, I can give some leeway with him, JB is just another guy at this point who has provided glimpses, large glimpses of exactly what he brings. Not much. 

5 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

At this point, I’d take Andy Dalton as our QB. Maybe Rivers or Manning becomes an option for a gap year. Idk what the answer here is but we had better see a change at QB this week. Put JB on IR. He’s injured in the head of not elsewhere on the body.  

All of them guys are farting dust they are so old, I say draft Love or Herbert and lets see what happens.

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Don't give him credit for those wins.... He just didn't cost them too much in most of those games.  He did the same crap before he was hurt that he does dinged up.  He's the same QB he was as a college sophomore.  Stop it.

He deserves credit against Houston and Atlanta for the wins. He was great in those games.

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Nah keep  him in now. We need to lose a couple  more then draft a qb and wrs.

And quite honestly it might be the team strategy. The concern here is, the fan base is frightened that the club still considers JB as their guy, the franchise starter. That’s a scary possibility. 

I don’t know the ramifications of the team cutting JB after the season or a June 1 cap cut or when any escalators come into effect but this team can’t roll JB out next season as a starter. Maybe they hold JB until after the draft so it’s not 100% obvious they are going QB. It they have to find another QB as their guy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All of them guys are farting dust they are so old, I say draft Love or Herbert and lets see what happens.

I agree, they wouldn’t be my choice of QB’s to go with however, if I had to pick a QB to fill in my new draft pick QB, I’d still take all of them over JB at this point. JB is not making the cut. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have hated the way our D has played the last 2 weeks. Can't win giving up over 30 points. I just think as a team we looked bad, JB included.

Drew has one of the best time to throws in the NFL and eats up soft zones. If anything, this is on Eberflus for not playing more press or man.

You can't win scoring zero points in non-garbage time either.

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

And quite honestly it might be the team strategy. The concern here is, the fan base is frightened that the club still considers JB as their guy, the franchise starter. That’s a scary possibility. 

I don’t know the ramifications of the team cutting JB after the season or a June 1 cap cut or when any escalators come into effect but this team can’t roll JB out next season as a starter. Maybe they hold JB until after the draft so it’s not 100% obvious they are going QB. It they have to find another QB as their guy. 

Most of the fan base think JB isn't a franchise QB me included. I am for drafting a QB in round 1. I just defend JB because for some reason some think he is like Painter. He doesn't suck but he isn't a franchise QB either, JMO.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

If  they still feel Brissett  is the guy then I doubt  they will have jobs by the end of next season 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If  they still feel Brissett  is the guy then I doubt  they will have jobs by the end of next season 

Idk anymore. This is a franchise who extended both a crappy GM and a very similar, but nicer guy, in Pagano. They both seen two contracts before realizing it was a mess that wasn’t fixable. Sometimes the blind loyalty the team gives is a detriment to themselves in the long term. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most of the fan base think JB isn't a franchise QB me included. I am for drafting a QB in round 1. I just defend JB because for some reason some think he is like Painter. He doesn't suck but he isn't a franchise QB either, JMO.

As a Colts fan I'll root for whoever has the QB job, it's just strange that I think some people just want to say 'they called it and saw it first' that he isn't the future QB.

Nobody wants JB as the first choice, that guy left. But there were people calling for JB's head since week 1. 

I get your daily arguments totally, it's simply stating he's had some decent moments, nothing more. 

Colts are in unfamiliar waters not having a QB. Let's all hope Ballard and company figure it out quickly. Franchises start to spiral when they can't get a stable productive QB.

I don't want to deal with constant regime and schematic changes every few years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

It's time to break out that QB ranking list again. I don't know how you have JB at "above average."

I have no idea how anyone can have only about a dozen or so QBs above JB...even before his horrific second part of the season. I won't comment on this game specifically because I haven't seen it yet, but seems like the consensus is that it's yet another stinker.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

I have no idea how anyone can have only about a dozen or so QBs above JB...even before his horrific second part of the season. I won't comment on this game specifically because I haven't seen it yet, but seems like the consensus is that it's yet another stinker.

He definitely stunk, but literally nothing went right tonight.

It looked like Varsity vs JV.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just find it odd and strange that people are actually enjoying the fact that JB has been struggling being Colts fans. In some people's minds, JB never stood a chance from day 1 after Luck retired. I guess the fact I have seen a lot worse being Schlister, Pagel, Trudeau, Hogeboom, George, Painter, Orvlosky, Tolzien, and Hoyer that my leash is a little longer.

I don't think anyone here enjoys watching JB struggling. He seems like a great guy and his teammates love him. Him succeeding couldn't happen to a better guy. For the Colts it would have been SO MUCH better and easier if he was the solution and we didn't have to spend 1st round pick or even more to get the next QB. It would have been so much better if we could fortify the rest of the roster rather than having to worry we are in QB purgatory now.

I think you mistake vocal frustration and the settling clarity for glee. Also there were plenty of people calling the Jacoby skeptics delusional and questioning their loyalties. You yourself thought it was insane/crazy if we didn't think JB was above average QB in the league. Others were telling us how we are not true fans for doubting Jacoby. So the vocal frustration and highlighting the struggles kind of becomes a natural response to those sentiments,  but I don't think people are actually enjoying what's happening with JB and the team. 

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, stitches said:

It was brutal. 

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not defending him because he was awful tonight. You can’t look at stills. Brissett is already throwing at that point so the defender left Doyle.

If that's the play I think it is, he hit Marcus Johnson on a back shoulder.  Quick read, good pass, so I'm not gonna latch onto that one. 

But we have lots of other evidence from basically every other game this season, so... 

Edit: Would like to add that Doyle was wide open on that play, the safety was not in range. 

• Like 1

I can’t agree with this enough.  Jacoby has been as bad as can be pretty much the last six quarters but anyone wanting to say he’s the only problem right now isn’t paying attention and just wants to hate on Jacoby.  Don’t get me wrong Jacoby has earned the criticism he’s getting but he is NOT the Colts only problem at the moment.  The defense has been worse than hot garbage the last two weeks.  First losing a game where you win the turnover battle 4 to 1 and score 35 points then a game where the other QB throws ONE incomplete pass.  That just can’t happen even if your team is over matched.  To me it means one of three things.

1.  The team has quit

2.  The coaches are too stubborn to change from their tendencies because they are doing “what they do”

3.  A combination of both.

Personally I think it’s the third one and that’s a very bad sign for Frank.  Those are things that get coaches fired.  I am NOT saying Frank will or even should be fired after this season but if he doesn’t get things changed this off-season he is going to get fired at some point.  

The whole team has just been a train wreck as of late.  The special teams unit finds a way to screw up every week to the point I am not sure how you bring that coach back.  The offense refuses to adjust even though teams have figured out stack the box on first and second down to stop the run because there is no reason to fear the pass and then just play tight zone on third down.  The defense is so scared of getting beat deep that they give guys five yards to catch the ball rather they are in zone or man, they can’t get off the field on third down to save their life, and their coverage even in the redzone is so loose QBs just throw it between the three defenders guarding air for a touchdown.  I know Hooker is favorite here but he has been a disaster at safety the last few weeks.  The whole secondary without Kenny Moore has been bad.  I hope Ballard uses his money to go out and address the secondary this off-season.

• Like 3

I just find it odd and strange that people are actually enjoying the fact that JB has been struggling being Colts fans. In some people's minds, JB never stood a chance from day 1 after Luck retired. I guess the fact I have seen a lot worse being Schlister, Pagel, Trudeau, Hogeboom, George, Painter, Orvlosky, Tolzien, and Hoyer that my leash is a little longer.

Personally I feel really bad for JB. The look on his face late 3rd or early 4Q actually made me sad the way he was struggling. That said, don't confuse most people simply wanting an upgrade, with enjoying the struggles of JB. If anything, they are just tired of some of the other side of the coin telling them they are wrong (about poor performance).

I remember all those guys you mention. Just because they are really bad, doesn't mean I shouldn't want better now. If that's being spoiled, OK... I just don't want to see regression.

• Like 2

I know we have a lot of issues on both sides that need fix. But this year I have just had a bad vibe from Reich most of the season. Especially in this losing streak. He doesn’t have a top 5 QB anymore to cover up coaching flaws.  Why hasn’t Hines been used as a slot receiver more. Eberflus is hot and cold. Can’t stay consistent in how he game plans. I know some of that is we are just very young on defense. But come on. 

Just not sold on Reich yet. Will he beable to develop a QB. He is struggling with play calling. I know he has been hand strung but he isn’t innocent in this.

9 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Irsay has got to be livid 

He has refused to talk to the media the last two weeks which is very unlike him when asked.  That tells me he’s ticked.  I don’t think he’s going to fire Ballard or Reich this off-season but wouldn’t be shocked if he puts them on notice and demands action in certain areas.  I also know we won’t hear about it if that happens either.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Personally I feel really bad for JB. The look on his face late 3rd or early 4Q actually made me sad the way he was struggling. That said, don't confuse most people simply wanting an upgrade, with enjoying the struggles of JB. If anything, they are just tired of some of the other side of the coin telling them they are wrong (about poor performance).

I remember all those guys you mention. Just because they are really bad, doesn't mean I shouldn't want better now. If that's being spoiled, OK... I just don't want to see regression.

I’ve seen a lot of those guys that that poster mentioned too.  I don’t think many here are saying things can’t get worse because they can.  However, just because it could get worse is no reason to stick with what you have if it’s clearly not working.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am just really mad at Luck for this season. We had something special that was about to happen the next five years.  This team is a mess right now. Reichs message of 1-0 and 1% better seems to not be working anymore. As a fan I feel Luck really let everyone down.

Luck did what was best for him.  As much as people don’t want to hear this his health is more important than a football team.  Yeah the timing sucked but if he wasn’t all in I am glad he walked away because guys who aren’t all in don’t do well.  At least this way the Colts got an honest look at Jacoby and should know he’s not the answer and something has to change.  If Luck had played with one foot out the door anyways this still would have probably been a bad season but rather than learning what they learned this year they would have walked away going it’s all on Luck for not being all in and then made the mistakes they made this year next year.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He has refused to talk to the media the last two weeks which is very unlike him when asked.  That tells me he’s ticked.  I don’t think he’s going to fire Ballard or Reich this off-season but wouldn’t be shocked if he puts them on notice and demands action in certain areas.  I also know we won’t hear about it if that happens either.

He might be ticked but I am sure he understands what losing a Top QB means. We have had two QB in the last 20 years. We have been very fortunate.

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Luck did what was best for him.  As much as people don’t want to hear this his health is more important than a football team.  Yeah the timing sucked but if he wasn’t all in I am glad he walked away because guys who aren’t all in don’t do well.  At least this way the Colts got an honest look at Jacoby and should know he’s not the answer and something has to change.  If Luck had played with one foot out the door anyways this still would have probably been a bad season but rather than learning what they learned this year they would have walked away going it’s all on Luck for not being all in and then made the mistakes they made this year next year.

I can understand why he did it. But I can still be mad at him for setting this franchise back. Foles was out there if he had did this after the season.