Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SI: Why Brissett is still the Colts' future (Bonus: Trivia)

zibby43

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Reich is saying that because JB is the best QB on the team. There's no point in saying or doing anything that undermines your starting QB. 

I get the feeling that, this offseason, the staff will make moves that don't exactly coincide with those statements. 

By the way, the MNF team is so bad. Booger started the broadcast by calling JB a no-doubt franchise QB, then JB played a terrible game, so he shifted his angle to saying 'Reich and the team believes JB is a franchise QB.' It was all nonsense. They don't know anything. I'm sure Reich said the same thing to them that he says in pressers, which is the PC thing to say in the middle of a season which got submarined when your real franchise QB retired in late August. I don't pay any attention to it.

Frank Reich, from the day he was hired, has talked about a relentless pursuit to get better, an obsession to finish. (JB isn't getting better, he's getting worse; and he can't finish.)

Chris Ballard, from the day he was hired, has talked about his football team never being about just one player, and emphasized the importance of competition from top to bottom. (JB is not above the team, and he is not excluded from roster competition.)

There is no way those two guys -- and let's throw Irsay in the mix also -- are going to put a cap on this season and not have improving the QB position at the top of their list.

The writing is on the wall. This is KC with Alex Smith (except he was better than JB). They know he's not good enough to commit to, and they are going to have a strategy to find the next guy. 

You guys have made me feel a little better. Makes sense that Reich is standing behind Brissett at this point in time. 

I get a little worried that at 70 years old  I won't be around to see the next great Colt team.  I do believe that JB will be our QB next year and I'm OK with that as long as we draft the QB for 2021.

2 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

At the same time, I was both furious at JB for missing such an easy throw, and also so sad for him. Let's face it, he's a backup that was forced to start because Luck retired abruptly.

Did the Saints get caught with 7 players on defense ? There wasn't a DB that was appearing on my TV screen. May have been one of the worst passes I've ever seen an NFL QB throw. 

• Like 1

Just now, dw49 said:

Did the Saints get caught with 7 players on defense ? There wasn't a DB that was appearing on my TV screen. May have been one of the worst passes I've ever seen an NFL QB throw. 

Oh I completely agree.

Funny you mentioned no DBs appearing on the TV. I said the same thing to my wife. He was WIDE open.

5 minutes ago, dw49 said:

That play was "stunning ."

And on the other end was our defense that allowed 29 of 30 passes to be completed.

Imagine being at the Saints practice facility where they are just running their plays with no defense involved. Completing 29 of 30 passes against the air is still somewhat of a challenge. You could have an errant pass, or a lack of concentration from the receivers and have a drop.

Yet, against our defense, they Saints were nearly perfect.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

That was a great play design by Frank but Jacoby is showing why he’s not a starter.

Jacoby missed so many open throws that it went from comical to depressing. I feel for Reich, but only to an extent. We'll see if Reich continues with JB, and if so, then he's also part of the problem.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

I wanted to add that we seem to be mixing it up zone and man but Brees is killing us whatever coverage we give him. 

I think Brees loves to crush the Colts...and ever since Peyton and the Colts lit up them up back in '07...Brees has been a man on a mission. He was even out there in the 4th quarter of a blowout for some reason. 

That said...and not to be too much of a cynic...but last night's game was pretty easy to see coming...especially with the backdrop of the TD record. I remember last season...when Brees broke Peyton's yardage record on MNF or SNF...you had DBs (on WAS I believe) literally fall down. So I was not the least bit surprised Brees had a game like this. 

But the larger picture looms that there are still issues with this defense.

5 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

And on the other end was our defense that allowed 29 of 30 passes to be completed.

Imagine being at the Saints practice facility where they are just running their plays with no defense involved. Completing 29 of 30 passes against the air is still somewhat of a challenge. You could have an errant pass, or a lack of concentration from the receivers and have a drop.

Yet, against our defense, they Saints were nearly perfect.

Funny that Brees was sitting at 28 out of 29 at 96.6% and going to 29 out of 30 would give him 96.666666...% rounding out to 96.7% and lo behold, he threw a pass to his sure handed Michael Thomas for that record when that screen had no chance to succeed. He did not throw a pass after that, and everyone should have known that. Sean Payton and Brees (has to be into the plan) have never shied about talking about or going for or preserving records. Brees has the SB completion record against us too. Again, we played Cover 2 then and it was pitch and catch. 

It was like benching our starters vs the Jets and giving Dallas Clark a catch to get to 100 receptions in the snowy Buffalo Bills game.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dw49 said:

You guys have made me feel a little better. Makes sense that Reich is standing behind Brissett at this point in time. 

I get a little worried that at 70 years old  I won't be around to see the next great Colt team.  I do believe that JB will be our QB next year and I'm OK with that as long as we draft the QB for 2021.

If we don't, it will be hard for me to support Ballard and Reich.

• Like 3

Just now, chad72 said:

Funny that Brees was sitting at 28 out of 29 at 96.6% and going to 29 out of 30 would give him 96.666666...% rounding out to 96.7% and lo behold, he threw a pass to his sure handed Michael Thomas for that record when that screen had no chance to succeed. He did not throw a pass after that, and everyone should have known that. Sean Payton and Brees (has to be into the plan) have never shied about talking about or going for records. It was like benching our starters vs the Jets and giving Dallas Clark a catch to get to 100 receptions in the snowy Buffalo Bills game.

I mean, if you're that close, you have to go get it. I have zero problem with it. It's not every day that an NFL QB goes 29/30 in a real game.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, IinD said:

Colts aren't committed to JB past this season. I think that's just lip service. No way you'd want your starting QB thinking he's going to get yanked at any moment. They were obviously going the positive reinforcement route, as they should have.

JB is playing himself out of the job.

Agree. In sports...the vote of confidence is often an indication that they are actually going to go another way. I think that is the case here. Plus, Reich gains nothing (personal or for the team) by saying anything else. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I guess it depends on why they would avoid drafting a QB. Maybe they want to draft one, but the ones they like get taken much earlier than our pick, or someone jumps us... or maybe they don't really like any of the QBs.

I can't crush them if they know we don't have the answer but also don't like any of the QBs available. If this is the case IMO it's better to build up the roster than to just draft a QB they don't fully believe in for the sake of drafting one. 

• Like 2

Just now, shastamasta said:

Agree. In sports...the vote of confidence is often an indication that they are actually going to go another way. I think that is the case here. Plus, Reich gains nothing (personal or for the team) by saying anything else. 

I agree....but at the same time I have my reservations.

To most, the decision to move on from Vinny was an easy one. Yet, Reich and Ballard continued with Vinny, to the detriment of the team. It was an injury to Vinny's knee that forced them to make a decision. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I guess it depends on why they would avoid drafting a QB. Maybe they want to draft one, but the ones they like get taken much earlier than our pick, or someone jumps us... or maybe they don't really like any of the QBs.

I can't crush them if they know we don't have the answer but also don't like any of the QBs available. If this is the case IMO it's better to build up the roster than to just draft a QB they don't fully believe in for the sake of drafting one. 

In that case, you can sign one in FA or trade for one. They'll know by the time FA comes in March if they like any of the QBs in the draft and if they are willing to trade up. No excuses.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I don't think you and I have not agreed on something since the Colts signed that DB with the 20 inch arms. Can't remember his name...

I will be sick if they don't draft a QB. If there is a QB they like available at pick 7 or so, we have the draft capital to get there. All this team really needs(other than QB)  is 1 WR  , a RG and a stud DL. We are very young and IMO the other needs are already on the roster and just need a little experience. Turay should really boost the pass rush.. no ? 

We also have a ton of money and should be able to sign at least a player or two to address a weakness.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

I don't think you and I have not agreed on something since the Colts signed that DB with the 20 inch arms. Can't remember his name...

I will be sick if they don't draft a QB. If there is a QB they like available at pick 7 or so, we have the draft capital to get there. All this team really needs(other than QB)  is 1 WR  , a RG and a stud DL. We are very young and IMO the other needs are already on the roster and just need a little experience. Turay should really boost the pass rush.. no ? 

We also have a ton of money and should be able to sign at least a player or two to address a weakness.

Kenny Moore?

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's not every day NFL QB goes 29/30 against air in practice. 

This is making the rounds.. Drew is a different cat with accuracy. That was a bad game for JB to be juxtaposed against. Drew's perfection, vs. JB making some of the worst NFL level passes you'll see. That kind of game last night re-programs peoples attitudes. People holding their head in disbelief.  Guys giving less than 100% because the QB isn't going to make the right read anyway.. Bad stuff is on the horizon from that if it's not nipped at the bud.

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

To the portion in bold: NO.

Turay was often injured in college and that has continued in the pros. Some people know how to avoid injuries. Unfortunately, Turay does not.

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

To the portion in bold: NO.

Turay was often injured in college and that has continued in the pros. Some people know how to avoid injuries. Unfortunately, Turay does not.

How about we settle on "maybe ?"

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

So let me clarify. It will be hard to support them if they don't take significant steps to improve the QB position in the offseason. 

It's hard to imagine that they don't have a top ten prospect they like, and a separate top 30 prospect they like. Should be able to grab someone in the draft.

And while I'm not really a fan of the 'grab [insert random FA QB, even the 40 year old guys], he's better than JB' option, I do think there are some potential FA guys that are worthy of at least some attention.

I'm not a "change for the sake of change" guy, but I don't see how they can put the QB move off for 2021. You have JB under contract in 2020, which makes the transition less of an issue, and you have a ton of young FAs to think about in 2021. You'll also have a new CBA, which might change the way young QBs are drafted and developed. This is the year to do it, IMO.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

How about we settle on "maybe ?"

I'm okay with "maybe" as long as the staff isn't relying on him. If we draft edge rushers and go after one in FA, then I'm okay with "Maybe" for Turay. But he'll not withstand the physical nature of the NFL if he's asked to be the main guy with a significant amount of snaps.

36 minutes ago, stitches said:

The Colts will likely be well within the range of getting a QB in the draft. And they have the capital to move up. It will be hard to justify not getting one of the top ones I think. 

Now if it's because they don't like any...then that changes things. But...given the current QB situation...the idea that none of the available QBs in this upcoming draft have more upside than JB would be a tough sell (at least for me). And if they are punting next season and waiting until 2021 to address it...then there likely will need a shift in strategy as well. 

I think they will draft one...but I wouldn't rule out some creativity in a trade...who knows what the offseason will bring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, stitches said:

The big thing here to me is that this is a draft with some decent QBs in it. And we have the capital to make some moves. We have what will wind up as a 10-15 first round pick, and a pair of second round picks with one of them being likely a top 5 pick. So it’s not like we’re out of options and would have to over leverage our picks to make a move. If there was ever a time to make a move and jump up in the order to take a swing on someone this is it. We don’t have the extra picks after this draft.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Reich has said over and over that JB is his guy. JB provides great value for the locker room and all of the guys like him. I heard them say that during the game again. When do you think that begins to collapse with Reich and the team? I’m thinking it’s starting to fall and Reich is just saving face a bit to finish out the season to get better for next season. I know JB is his guy, but who is Ballard’s guy? We will find out. 

Brissett pre-dates Reich. Ballard traded for him, so Reich actually inherited him. While Reich has publically stated that Brissett is his guy, I don't think he really had any other option after Luck's surprise retirement.

At that point, they just had to go all-in for the season with the best option they had, JB. If they did anything but that, it would have undermined him as our only viable starting QB.

I think it's all but a forgone conclusion that Ballard brings in a new QB that him and Reich believe is truly our next franchise QB, not just "the best of what we've got right now".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

The Colts will likely be well within the range of getting a QB in the draft. And they have the capital to move up. It will be hard to justify not getting one of the top ones I think. 

Now if it's because they don't like any...then that changes things. But...given the current QB situation...the idea that none of the available QBs in this upcoming draft have more upside than JB would be a tough sell (at least for me). And if they are punting next season and waiting until 2021 to address it...then there likely will need a shift in strategy as well. 

I think they will draft one...but I wouldn't rule out some creativity in a trade...who knows what the offseason will bring.

6 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

The big thing here to me is that this is a draft with some decent QBs in it. And we have the capital to make some moves. We have what will wind up as a 10-15 first round pick, and a pair of second round picks with one of them being likely a top 5 pick. So it’s not like we’re out of options and would have to over leverage our picks to make a move. If there was ever a time to make a move and jump up in the order to take a swing on someone this is it. We don’t have the extra picks after this draft.  

Yep, I agree. This is a good QB draft in my estimation and if Ballard and co love some of those guys it's their job to go and get him. This is part of being a good GM - getting into position to get the player you love/need at a good price and Ballard should be evaluated on this one too. If Burrow was available I'd be open to moving multiple high end picks to get him. If getting Herbert or Love required moving up, I'd be up for giving up some modest compensation to move up too. Just whoever they like... just go and get him. I don't think any team has ever regretted giving up major assets for a QB that pans out. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’ve seen a lot of those guys that that poster mentioned too.  I don’t think many here are saying things can’t get worse because they can.  However, just because it could get worse is no reason to stick with what you have if it’s clearly not working.

I'm not afraid of failure while attempting to improve. I'm afraid more of the unwillingness to improve and the acceptance of mediocrity. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not afraid of failure while attempting to improve. I'm afraid more of the unwillingness to improve and the acceptance of mediocrity. 

One of the selling points for Love for me is... that he seems a bit like a boom or bust prospect. He just has some specific things to work on that if he fixes them he will be great and if he does not IMO you won't be able to play him in the league.  IMO you will know if he's going to be bad pretty early and thus you can move on and not waste years trying to figure out if he's just average or below average or bad... or good... or where exactly he will fall... 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Agreed. As bad as things have gotten, I'll root for this team as long as there's a continuous effort to get better and ultimately win the SB. The moment we settle in mediocrity is the moment I get disinterested. Not drafting a QB would do the trick for me.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agreed. As bad as things have gotten, I'll root for this team as long as there's a continuous effort to get better and ultimately win the SB. The moment we settle in mediocrity is the moment I get disinterested. Not drafting a QB would do the trick for me.

I'll cheer for them regardless, and watch them every week, but my interest level, and respect for the FO would definitely take a hit. I'll always be a huge fan, but some of my interest may redirect elsewhere lol... 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

One of the selling points for Love for me is... that he seems a bit like a boom or bust prospect. He just has some specific things to work on that if he fixes them he will be great and if he does not IMO you won't be able to play him in the league.  IMO you will know if he's going to be bad pretty early and thus you can move on and not waste years trying to figure out if he's just average or below average or bad... or good... or where exactly he will fall... 

IMO, I think he'd be fine playing behind our OL in Reich's O which calls for quick, short to intermediate plays 95% of the time. If he goes to some place that has a crap OL, and needs him to do too much too soon, then I think he'll be ruined pretty quickly.

Over the holidays I'm going to really look at his 2018 and 2019 film closely. He lost 10 of the 11 from last year's team, and more or less he was the only full starter that returned. One of his OTs got some PT, and his RB2 returned, but that's about it. That, in addition to changing coaching staffs had to be a huge challenge. I really want to see what regressed and what improved, and how the roster turnover impacted things vs coach/scheme.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, Brissett has regressed into absolute garbage. No wonder this team plays with no passion. They lose before the game begins. I had a choice to watch this game, and I watched wrestling instead (and I hate modern wrestling). Honestly don't want to watch another game with JB as QB.

Haven't  watched since we lost to the texans. When that happened  I knew what it was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm with you.  I won't watch any more Colts games with JB at QB.  There is no point.  I mean if there is nothing else to do, I might have it on a laptop while watching show or whatever, but I won't plan my day around the game until they move on.  He is a poo poo show.

They have lost the team with AV and now JB.  I guarantee you he isn't popular anymore.  To his face maybe, but there were visible signs of exasperation with the guy.  

There is no reason for him to take another starting snap.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

This is making the rounds.. Drew is a different cat with accuracy. That was a bad game for JB to be juxtaposed against. Drew's perfection, vs. JB making some of the worst NFL level passes you'll see. That kind of game last night re-programs peoples attitudes. People holding their head in disbelief.  Guys giving less than 100% because the QB isn't going to make the right read anyway.. Bad stuff is on the horizon from that if it's not nipped at the bud.

I know sports science doesnt always translate to on the field capability, but the most accurate QB they've ever tested is on our bench without a chance to show his skills. Kelly!

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/4/30/15492264/chad-kelly-had-highest-score-sport-science#

• Like 1