Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SI: Why Brissett is still the Colts' future (Bonus: Trivia)

zibby43

29 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I totally agree that Brisssett is not an elite QB but he is not near as bad as advertised in this forum. 

I agree with this.  I will say that as bad as everyone seems to think he is, you have never heard one receiver or tight end complain about him publicly.  He is much loved in the locker room

43 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, it’s hard to spin missing open receivers consistently in JB’s favor. Really, I have trouble blaming the WR/TE’s too much at all. I think back to that telling quote from Sirianni where he stuck up for the WR’s.

I've been saying this for a while - if Jacoby's apologists don't think that the coaching staff and Ballard don't see the same things we see with our limited time and film, they are in for a big surprise. They know Jacoby's limitations and struggles much better than any of us here. The question is no whether those limitations are there, the question is whether they will think they can win with Jacoby despite them. My personal opinion is that you cannot win consistently and long-term in the league with the type of throws Jacoby fails to see. Even Greg Cosell who was one Jacoby's biggest fans in the media before the season, said that the Colts coaching staff are doing wonders schematically and that the scheme creates open throws all the time. (GC thoughts end here) Jacoby just either doesn't see them or refuses to make the throws for whatever other reason - indecision, risk aversion, etc.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I find it funny that TY, Doyle and the receivers that Brissett was used to throw to don't have a problem catching passes from Brissett.  Just saying.

You sure.   Last Sunday Doyle certainly did.   

I thought Jacoby could be fine with a good O-line and good defense.   The Colts gave that to him and he has been OK.   A few bounces our way and we could have 9 wins.   

The problem is that he has not improved on what many of us see in his game.   He's a 1 read QB (not counting dumping off short as a 2nd read).   He doesn't anticipate or handle the blitz well.   He holds the ball to long and has to rifle it to the receiver to make up for his lack of anticipation.   I was totally pro Brissett early in the season.   I have changed because he has not shown improvement.   He hasn't regressed either.   He is what he is at 27 years old and 29 NFL starts.  Expecting him to change now is silly.   

I'll only be bummed with him starting next season if we didn't draft a QB or add some preseason competition.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, it’s hard to spin missing open receivers consistently in JB’s favor. Really, I have trouble blaming the WR/TE’s too much at all. I think back to that telling quote from Sirianni where he stuck up for the WR’s.

Yeah, the WRs and TEs have not been the problem. We've played many awful pass Ds this year and have had ample opportunity to succeed, even with fill-in type WRs. Goes back to the 1st read / progressions conversation. And also why we are a lot more successful early in games in heavily scripted/practiced downs. Once that is over, and things are more free flow, that's when JB is asked to be a complete QB, and that's simply when he struggles most.

The thing that gets me the most, is that's he's never been a really good QB dating back to college. It's not like he was prolific in college, and just needs time to click. He was the same game manager type QB in college with pretty mediocre stats back then, and is still struggling with all the same basics.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, stitches said:

There is not a Manning or a Luck in most drafts. That doesn't mean there isn't good QB talent available that through cultivation and development can't become a great QB in the league. 

No where did I say or imply there wasn't a talented QB that may be available in the draft.

My point was Manning and Luck were consensus #1 picks in their respective drafts.

Thus is why I made the comment of Irsay dictating who may be picked in the draft.

I think you overlooked what was said and meant. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

No where did I say or imply there wasn't a talented QB that may be available in the draft.

My point was Manning and Luck were consensus #1 picks in their respective drafts.

Thus is why I made the comment of Irsay dictating who may be picked in the draft.

I think you overlooked what was said and meant. 

Yeah, apologies... I re-read that part with the context I missed the first time. Makes more sense now and my comment is kind of irrelevant to the point you were making. My bad :sorry:

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Yeah, apologies... I re-read that part with the context I missed the first time. Makes more sense now and my comment is kind of irrelevant to the point you were making. My bad :sorry:

No apologies needed. 

We are all upset with this season so everything is magnified. :dunno::D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

No apologies needed. 

I was just racing through the threads before I go to bed after a long day and just missed the argument about Irsay, so I assumed it was a "no Luck in the draft so no need to take QB" argument. I should be more careful and actually read the full context of what I'm responding to. And with that said, I'm out... 

See you guys and gals tomorrow. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yup, yup, and yup...

And people are just dealing with their feelings in different ways. 

This season has been full of inconsistencies and ups and downs. I want to wake up tomorrow to the draft, then go to sleep and wake up in late August. Maybe spend a little waking moments during March Madness lol.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, yup, and yup...

And people are just dealing with their feelings in different ways. 

This season has been full of inconsistencies and ups and downs. I want to wake up tomorrow to the draft, then go to sleep and wake up in late August. Maybe spend a little waking moments during March Madness lol.

At my age I would like to wake up to the day the Ruston Rifle was drafted. haha

When it comes to JB, there are just some in here that can't tell the difference between bad, below Average, average, above average, good, very good, and great. JB is average at worse, I still think above average. Some think he is bad because he isn't Andrew Luck and is far from Peyton. Bad would be Painter for example, below average would be Hoyer. Regarding settling for average or above average, I do not want that either but whoever we draft could be average as well or worse than JB. I am for rolling the dice though because I am about winning SB's, just not regular season games.

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When it comes to JB, there are just some in here that can't tell the difference between bad, below Average, average, above average, good, very good, and great. JB is average at worse, I still think above average. Some think he is bad because he isn't Andrew Luck and is far from Peyton. Bad would be Painter for example, below average would be Hoyer. Regarding settling for average or above average, I do not want that either but whoever we draft could be average as well or worse than JB. I am for rolling the dice though because I am about winning SB's, just not regular season games.

Honest question, how do you define bad, below average, average, above average, great?

I've posted my tiers before, which I think are fair. Most of his stats in the widely accepted categories are below the median, so just curious how you define things.

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Honest question, how do you define bad, below average, average, above average, great?

I've posted my tiers before, which I think are fair. Most of his stats in the widely accepted categories are below the median, so just curious how you define things.

I go by eye test a lot too not just stats and I value wins more than you do. I love stats too so don't get me wrong and statistically JB's TD's to INT ratio is good eventhough his YPA is bad. Any smart person knows when they see bad, average, or great that has watched football for 30 or 40 years. When you watched Painter play you just knew that was bad, when you watched Peyton play you knew it was great.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I go by eye test a lot too not just stats and I value wins more than you do. I love stats too so don't get me wrong and statistically JB's TD's to INT ratio is good eventhough his YPA is bad. Any smart person knows when they see bad, average, or great that has watched football for 30 or 40 years. When you watched Painter play you just knew that was bad, when you watched Peyton play you knew it was great.

I go by both as well. My eyes are just less flattering than yours I guess. They are getting old though. Using readers more and more these days lol.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I go by both as well. My eyes are just less flattering than yours I guess. They are getting old though. Using readers more and more these days lol.

A lot of people see things differently. Here at work I actually had a guy tell me that he thought Scarlett Johansson was only above average looking and ranked her a 7 out of 10. I about fell out of my chair when he said that. She is a 9 IMO if not close to a 10. Opinions vary and make the world go around lmao .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot of people see things differently. Here at work I actually had a guy tell me that he thought Scarlett Johansson was only above average looking and ranked her a 7 out of 10. I about fell out of my chair when he said that. She is a 9 IMO if not close to a 10. Opinions vary and make the world go around lmao .

I'd give her a 8 for pure looks/face, but her backside a 10. She gets a 9.5 for cuteness and sexiness though. I'm a tough grader lol.

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not saying JB is good or anything but if you think he isn't better than Pagel, Erickson, Trudeau, Chandler, Justin or even someone like Painter or Tolzien then you need glasses. Not trying to be funny but JB is better than all of those guys no matter how much you hate the guy. I have seen them all too being a Colts fan since 1984. 

The way to go is keep JB.... Draft a young guy if you find one worth a pick... Then if the young guys not good enough, you draft another one.... Nothing wrong with keeping a avg. Guy AND trying to find a better guy.... No, JB won't continue signing two or three year deals, but someone always will... Duplicating JB's level of QB isn't hard.  Finding better is hard 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I go by both as well.   Stat-wise, Brissett is average at best in most catagories.   She test shows me his difficiencies.  Below average of average.   His win loss record coincides with this.  So if we go with him as the stArter , we can expect to go .500.

I like Brissett's attitude and apparent work ethic, plus he played here in NC in college , so I really pulled for him, but honestly he is average--not bad, but average. You can build a team around him if you don't mind being 7-9 to 9-7, but honestly, the Colts can't build around him. Only Joe Burrow would be the franchise type coming out this  year and Trevor Lawrence next year. Neither of which will we get a shot at. But we do need to make a change, unless 7-9 to 9-7 is good enough for the fanbase.

I was more than willing to give JB the benefit of the doubt but after what I have seen this season he is a large part of our offensive problem.  No team is concerned about JB stealing a game.  He is a "good" NFL caliber QB which is actually an incredible accomplishment but he is not an excellent NFL QB.  I am glad we have him right now or things would be so much worse but regardless of injuries he is not the answer for this team.  Maybe given another off season but I doubt it...................as it stands right now he is making it difficult for us to have a chance to win this game against the Saints.  With an O-Line as good as ours (can't believe I am able to say that) he should be better and yes I understand some of our receivers haven't helped but ultimately he just isn't cutting it.  I am ok with one more year of JB but outside of that we really need to address the position if possible...................

Anyway had to get that out...................................GO COLTS

6 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

LOL, this team needs an overhaul......We need talent evaluators, we need good scouts, we need good coaches and above all we need a GM....

No, we just really need a qb that can keep pace with great qb's like Brees. We could use a nice big target like Michael Thomas too... We need new fans to replace you too. 

• Like 1

This is why I didn't want JB to play tonight because I knew we would get killed and people would just pile on him again. Our season was over after last week and the guys look lethargic knowing it's over. I seen this coming. I really wish we would just play Kelly and rest JB and TY both in the last 2 games. This game doesn't change my opinion on anything, I still think JB is above average but I still think we should draft a QB too.

6 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Year hasn't been tough enough I will be ridiculed tomorrow at work .Real question in my mind is do we Make changes on staff .Unacceptable 

No one in NY will ridicule you because your team lost to the Saints. The Jets lost to no-win Dolphins and Bengals teams. Giants have not been any better. 

Since the dawn of time Colts fans want to know what makes JaKoby so UNSTOPPABLE?

What makes his deep ball so unstoppable?

What makes his crossing patterns, his post patterns so unstoppable?

What makes his overall unstoppable-ness so unstoppable?

We may never know. But in not knowing, the unknowable HAS BECOME UNSTOPPABLE.

Just think after tonight Indy has another 18 games of this unstoppable-ness