Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard

Moosejawcolt

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

There is no guarantee next year would have the same outcome as this year. There was a lot of things that went wrong in this season and Jacoby isn’t the only reason. Chances are even if we draft the future Jacoby will be the starter next year. A lot of strange things have happened this year that has  lead up to our record. Just look at the turning point. We were 5-2 going into the Steelers game. What happened Jacoby got injured and our WR stated dropping like flies. You can’t underestimate the importance of Ty. Pascal has done great but he isn’t what you would call a playmaker. The things TY can do to fake out defenders ect makes him a great player.  We are missing actual playmakers in the 4th quarter of games. No matter what they do at QB I am excited if Jacoby starts next season and to see what he can do with heathy and upgraded weapons. Plus not having all the drama with Luck two weeks before the season.  Yes he has had some issues but to me I give him a incomplete with everything that has happened.

He's been the same player since college.   He has not improved.  His faults now are the same as his draft review 4 years ago.   

• Like 1

Just now, Myles said:

He's been the same player since college.   He has not improved.  His faults now are the same as his draft review 4 years ago.   

Also, remember that 5-2 start was all 1 score games.   We could have been 2-5.   

I was happy with the outcomes and the team when we didn't need great QB play.   But with injuries we had to rely on Brissett more and he has failed to produce.  

• Like 1

Just now, Dogg63 said:

There, fixed it for you.

A very small minority period.  The majority of people I talk to outside this message board and outside my group of friends (people at sports bars during games, random people who strike up a conversation when I'm wearing Colts shirt/hat, etc...) , are not excited at the prospect of JB possibly being the starter next year. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Myles said:

Also, remember that 5-2 start was all 1 score games.   We could have been 2-5.   

I was happy with the outcomes and the team when we didn't need great QB play.   But with injuries we had to rely on Brissett more and he has failed to produce.  

But we found ways to win. Don’t underestimate how much losing a playmaker like TY hurts. Not only does he make plays but defenses have to play different when he is on the field. This forum will implode if ballard passes on a QB.

28 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

But we found ways to win. Don’t underestimate how much losing a playmaker like TY hurts. Not only does he make plays but defenses have to play different when he is on the field. This forum will implode if ballard passes on a QB.

I agree to an extent.   The problem is that Brissett hasn't proven to be someone who can lead the team in crucial times.   As long as the defense does good and the running game does good, he can manage the team to a win.  I haven't seen anything that makes me hope he is locked up as the long term QB.  

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 4:18 PM, Barry Sears said:

I'll put it this way...if it weren't for Ballard's drafts and FA signings, we'd be 2-11, most likely.

Lots of reasons we're 6-7, but primarily, it's because Ballard drafted and built this roster with Andrew Luck as the QB.  Luck with healthy WRs (Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Pascal, etc.) and our TEs, plus the running game and we'd be 11-2, most likely.  The missed kicks by AV wouldn't have cost us close games, because we would have had bigger leads.

Losing Luck, the numerous serious injures and JB not having weapons at the skill positions has contributed to the 6-7 record.

Now, I am disappointed in our defense...yes, there have been injuries, but nothing close to what we've had on the offensive side of the ball.  I expected our defense to be much better this year.

Then, there's the kicking game, but we all know the problem with that without going into detail.

Get some proven veteran offensive skill players for JB to work with next season, and add that to the running game and we win more games and put more points on the board.

I do feel that a QB will be drafted and prepared to take over in 2021.  Hopefully we sign some veterans on both sides to help these young guys.  The foundation is there, now it's time to build with quality, proven players.

Also disappointed in our OL play and I have no thoughts on way they have regressed.

i agree 100 percent, great post

• Like 1

Two more drafts,huh? Green Bay missed the playoffs last year, had 2 first round draft picks(Rashan Gary and Darnell Savage) who they have gotten sub par contributions based on draft position. They did sign Smith from the ravens, and change their coach. But the packers roster at the end of last season was nowhere near this Colt roster. Another team I'll throw out there that missed the playoffs last year and is poised for a playoff appearance this year is that God awful steeler team. Wow, that is borderline joke. Talk about bad drafting, take a look at their recievers, you'll see Dion Cain. Do we need to talk qb? Undrafted rookie free agent from d3 Samford. The Colts definitely don't need 2 more drafts to contend for the sb!

We did not do well this year, HOWEVER here is a silver lining:

1- 2020 Draft/FA signings (Ballard has a better chance to select better players)

2- Due to Injuries, we have more tapes on our current depth and new additions

3- Learn from our injuries. Too many of the same type: broken ankles, hands, lower leg

4- JB is a work in progress, Vinatieri is done. Need to move on to land an elite QB.

5- Review the process for improvements. You learn more from failure than with success

6- Last but not least:  Seriously evaluate our current medical staff, trainers and support.  Intuitively, I think there are opportunities for improvement.

On 12/11/2019 at 11:14 PM, Two_pound said:

Two more drafts,huh? Green Bay missed the playoffs last year, had 2 first round draft picks(Rashan Gary and Darnell Savage) who they have gotten sub par contributions based on draft position. They did sign Smith from the ravens, and change their coach. But the packers roster at the end of last season was nowhere near this Colt roster. Another team I'll throw out there that missed the playoffs last year and is poised for a playoff appearance this year is that God awful steeler team. Wow, that is borderline joke. Talk about bad drafting, take a look at their recievers, you'll see Dion Cain. Do we need to talk qb? Undrafted rookie free agent from d3 Samford. The Colts definitely don't need 2 more drafts to contend for the sb!

drafts wont fix us next season we need proven talent

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 9:22 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmm........so we r 6 and 7 and u think we r almost there as a team??  Luck hid many deficiencies.  This is who the Colts r.  A very ....mayb below average team. It's going to take 2 more drafts to get to where they want to b

No, I was making a joke.  You just happen to be harping on the gm the same time DD's been railing on about how he was "right" saying the colts should be careful firing Grigson.... Or some nonsense.... Lighten up Francis.  Luck for sure covered up some flaws.... Short of a new franchise qb, they definitely need to build up other talent to compete like we're used to...

On 12/8/2019 at 10:54 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

K.....i will sum it up this way.  We are 6-7.  That is below 50%. Therefore, that would make us below average in  some and hopefully not in all these areas:talent,coaching,scouting.  U r what your record says and the Colts r a below average football team.

Analyzing a young freshly churned roster with position coaches new to DC, OC and head coach, as well as a first time gm with just wins and losses? Cmon Moose, you have to sprinkle in progression and development into that assessment too man.

On 12/8/2019 at 9:50 PM, deedub75 said:

We have not even sniffed a playoff bye since Manning left. If you believe we’d be 13-0 or even 11-2 with Luck then that would mean that this roster is one of the best in the league. This build is still pretty far from being complete. 

The schedule we played this year maybe does support 11-2 but that’s due to schedule and not because the team is so good. 

Because we have never had the supporting cast and a healthy Luck at the same time.  This was widely agreed to be the year we would make some noise in the league. Fate had other plans.

On 12/11/2019 at 8:14 PM, Two_pound said:

The Packers have Aaron Rodgers. The Steelers are not a SB contender.

I don't know how long until the Colts are a SB contender -- I think we need a better QB -- but those aren't very good examples.

• Like 1

I was just using those two teams as examples of teams who missed the playoffs last season and can easily make the playoffs this year. I was referencing the post that said we are at least 2 drafts away from contending and I wholeheartedly disagree with that premise. Add dt, db and og, and ofcourse better qb and we are right there. Maybe Ballard will dip into the cap space this next offseason.

IMO, the Colts need a talent infusion at the following positions:

QB. WR. TE. RG. DT. DE. Give the CBs and Safeties another year of growth, along with the LBs, and the D will prove to be plenty strong in the back 7.  But the pass rush remains anemic. So long as that remains the case, the D will still have struggles. 

The Colts cannot get all of this in the draft. QB, yes. WR, yes. Maybe they get lucky with a DT. But they also need to sign some vets to fill these holes. The $ are there; time for Ballard to unleash the hounds and get a few key FAs. 

41 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I was just using those two teams as examples of teams who missed the playoffs last season and can easily make the playoffs this year. I was referencing the post that said we are at least 2 drafts away from contending and I wholeheartedly disagree with that premise. Add dt, db and og, and ofcourse better qb and we are right there. Maybe Ballard will dip into the cap space this next offseason.

I agree that we can be back in the playoffs, even at the top of the division next year. But I also think the hardest leap to make is going from "good" to "title contender." A good QB can help you win a division, but to really be a contender requires a lot more.

I don't know if we're two years away, but I think the main piece is better QBing, and I'm not sure we can fix that in one offseason. 

8 hours ago, Vexed said:

Analyzing a young freshly churned roster with position coaches new to DC, OC and head coach, as well as a first time gm with just wins and losses? Cmon Moose, you have to sprinkle in progression and development into that assessment too man.

Ummmm.....I agree they are young.  My biggest concern is that they r young and they  should be trending upwards. The defence is simple and is suppose to be good for young players.  The defense has regressed and a lot of it has been blamed on lack of communication.  We r 13 games in and I thought that would b the least of our worries.  Lack of communication in a defence that is suppose to b simple to play.

On 12/8/2019 at 9:45 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

How come with the Colts current record and down ward spiral does Ballard seem immune to criticism?  Or a thorough evaluation of his drafts and moves since being the Colts's GM?

Because many people can over invest in an extreme opinion very quickly, then look for ways to validate that opinion later.  The process can sometimes last for years.

• Like 1

Oh geez more doom and gloom. Everything is ok (sarcasm). I could see this collapse coming. You can’t get by in this league with mediocre QB play and not pressuring the QB. Open your eyes guys, this is year three of the rebuild and I’m not sure how much progress has been made.

Ballard was at the game tonight and he looked *. To lay a goose egg for three in a half quarters, in a must win game, on national tv, Monday Night Football doesn't sit well with Ballard. I expect him to be more aggressive in free agency this offseason. 

I don't expect him to give out big contracts though because that is not his mo. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2019 at 10:14 PM, Two_pound said:

So now what do u think based on tonites performance.  I  honestly walked away feeling if we have the right people in place.  The fall from 5 and 2 is epic and I am having a hard time with the current talent on this team.

10 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So now what do u think based on tonites performance.  I  honestly walked away feeling if we have the right people in place.  The fall from 5 and 2 is epic and I am having a hard time with the current talent on this team.

When we were 5 and 2 we were probably in the top 5 in time of possession. 

Kept our defense off of the field. 

For what ever reason (maybe trying to throw longer routes more?), the offense probably lags the average in time of possession in the past 7 games.

On 12/11/2019 at 11:20 PM, AustexColt said:

We did not do well this year, HOWEVER here is a silver lining:

1- 2020 Draft/FA signings (Ballard has a better chance to select better players)

2- Due to Injuries, we have more tapes on our current depth and new additions

3- Learn from our injuries. Too many of the same type: broken ankles, hands, lower leg

4- JB is a work in progress, Vinatieri is done. Need to move on to land an elite QB.

5- Review the process for improvements. You learn more from failure than with success

6- Last but not least:  Seriously evaluate our current medical staff, trainers and support.  Intuitively, I think there are opportunities for improvement.

What FA’s would want to sign with this dumpster fire.  We have FA’s now kicking themselves for coming here.  

49 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Ballard was at the game tonight and he looked *. To lay a goose egg for three in a half quarters, in a must win game, on national tv, Monday Night Football doesn't sit well with Ballard. I expect him to be more aggressive in free agency this offseason. 

I don't expect him to give out big contracts though because that is not his mo. 

If he wants game changers he is going to have to dish out the cash.

The biggest problem with tonights game was Brissett missing wide open receivers on each of the first three drives. The defense had absolutely zero intensity tonight. Brissett had what, 165 yards tonight, I honestly don't know how you justify keeping him out there the final 2 games. The Panthers already announced they are starting Grier on Sunday, let's put our 3rd stringer out there and see what happens.

25 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

The biggest problem with tonights game was Brissett missing wide open receivers on each of the first three drives. The defense had absolutely zero intensity tonight. Brissett had what, 165 yards tonight, I honestly don't know how you justify keeping him out there the final 2 games. The Panthers already announced they are starting Grier on Sunday, let's put our 3rd stringer out there and see what happens.

I hope they play Kelly, but it’s not going to happen.

They stuck with Old Man Vinny until his knee bust, even though he was statistically the worst kicker this year. 

I see stubbornness and a keep your head down and grind attitude with Ballard and Reich. Sometimes that’s good. Sometimes that’s JB.

On 12/8/2019 at 10:34 PM, Pacergeek said:

Terrell Basham, Quincy Wilson, Paris Campbell, Rock Ya Sin, Tyquon Lewis. Ballard has whiffed on many high draft picks, which is to be expected. He should have signed a few FA's for insurance. 

Paris Campbell and Rock Ya Sin could turn into good players with experience.

On 12/9/2019 at 12:41 AM, Four2itus said:

Next up for blaming....Jim Irsay!

Hey, it's all about pointing fingers, isn't it?

Irsay DOES deserve some of the blame, IMO. He hired Grigson, who never gave Luck a good o-line. Maybe with a good o-line Luck doesn't take a beating year-in and year-out, and doesn't retire. And even after it was apparent that Grigson (and Pagano) didn't deserve to retain their jobs, he extended them. I like Irsay and respect his football knowledge, but he's made some bad decisions.