Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard

Moosejawcolt

38 minutes ago, Myles said:

They are certainly "better than average".  

Ballard has done amazing with the crap he inherited.    The 2020 draft is where he really needs to shine.   Picking the future QB must be done right.   

All the crap that Ballard inherited is gone.  This is his roster now.  He has rebuilt it with the players he has picked and others he has kept to be on the team.  No more excuses.  The 2020 off season is where he really needs to shine.  Not just the draft.  The whole off season.  He has the resources to do anything he wants to improve the team.  No handcuffs.  This off season should be very interesting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This will be Ballard’s most important off season he has had in Indy. This could possibly define his career.

I agree with this statement 100%, I’m really excited to see the picks and All the Cap money go to upgrading the team next year. Frankly, if we could tank for the rest of the season and go 6-10, the players that will be available to us will be incredible. I went to the game yesterday, blame falls on all. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I agree with this statement 100%, I’m really excited to see the picks and All the Cap money go to upgrading the team next year. Frankly, if we could tank for the rest of the season and go 6-10, the players that will be available to us will be incredible. I went to the game yesterday, blame falls on all. 

we dont have to tank, we wont win another game if our below average receivers keep dropping passes, and unless hooker starts playing up to his hype

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How come with the Colts current record and down ward spiral does Ballard seem immune to criticism?  Or a thorough evaluation of his drafts and moves since being the Colts's GM?

What a fun thread.  So many apologists making no sense.  I like the way @EastStreet deflected the thread right off the mark.

Evidence suggests that if we had a healthy Luck, that the team's record would be just like it was when we've always had a healthy Luck.  13 and 3, 11 and 5; contending for the division or winning it, possibly playing in the AFCCG; just like in the past.  So the question, where would we be with Luck?  The answer: Pretty much where we always were with Luck.

Of course, @Moosejawcolt your statement highlights the problem.  Its not where would we be with Luck.  That's irrelevant.  

When Luck was hurt, or, not playing at all, the statements were "look how much Luck carries this roster"  as a support for a mob-ish narrative.

We now have JB, a lesser QB.  I'll say (but nobody else has the nerve)

"Look how much Luck carried this roster"

LOL.  In the past, it was said about 550 times in 2 years.  I just said it now.  I've got 549 more times to say it.

What a fun thread.

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Because we'd be 13-0 likely if we had Luck. I'm not a Ballard worshiper, but this isn't on him. He's upgraded or made solid attempts to upgrade every unit after inheriting what was mostly a dumpster fire in terms of depth and talent.

Even the JB fan club knows this boils down to the change of QB.

Not saying we don't need upgrades in several areas, but who here thinks we're not at least at 11-2 had Luck not left and playing for a 1 seed right now, even with all the injuries.

I think we would have atleast 3-4 more wins for sure Brissett blows anybody on here disputes that no disrespect to the forum rules intended but your totally blind.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard is always preaching competition, yet the only FA WR he brought in was Devin Funchess. Devin was not going to push any of the young WR's to sweat making the roster. 

What does bringing in free agents have to do with competition on the Colts? 

None.

The competition was between those receivers on the roster. 

With all of them being injured or on IR there was no competition. 

Just looking for able bodies was the competition. 

6 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

texans traded draft picks to get what they needed to make a run, titans went and got a qb to make a run, ballard signed some cheap free agents and undrafted guys, we needed wr elite talent, he didnt get any for us so we didnt make a run

Injuries is why Ballard had to go with free agents and undrafted guys. 

Going into the season most everyone thought we were set up at receiver. 

Losing your top 3 or 4 receivers put Ballard in that position. It was nothing to do with what he didn't do. 

41 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I think we would have atleast 3-4 more wins for sure Brissett blows anybody on here disputes that no disrespect to the forum rules intended but your totally blind.

We would have 3-4 more wins had out HOF kicker made kicks. 

This blaming all the losses just on Brissett is a cop out on your part. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

texans traded draft picks to get what they needed to make a run, titans went and got a qb to make a run, ballard signed some cheap free agents and undrafted guys, we needed wr elite talent, he didnt get any for us so we didnt make a run

And look at the Texans. They are top heavy and have no foundation. It’s possible they don’t even make the playoffs. Then they are without first round picks for a couple of years. The Texans are going to crumble because they did build a foundation. Houston has lived up to everything we paid him.

13 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We r in year 3 and going into year 4 of Ballard's draft and I still see a lot of  holes. Plus, u remember the KC game last year against an elite team with all their weapons? We got trashed and didn't belong.  

Hmmmmmm.....intersting If I remember correctlyBsllard

Wait till next year!
 And You are full of Moose _____! Just a bad attitude. JMO of course.
  Stuff happens. Then one adapts. Do the best that you can.

How bout dem Cowboys! 

This thread is amazing.

The overall roster is much better than it was when Ballard took over.  We were looking like a deep playoff run was likely until our Top 5, franchise, blue chip QB unexpectedly retired 2 weeks before the season started.  Up to that point, the team was being built under the impression that that guy would be leading our offense and that we would likely be able to play from a lead or at least catch up quickly when the need arises.  Instead, we're now playing as a ground and pound offense that struggles to get chunk yardage and put up points consistently.  Defense was built with this in mind too.  Like it or not, plans change.  In my estimation, the Luck retirement pretty much de-railed the rebuild we were doing.  It's going to take time to get back on track.  I view the 2020 offseason as the beginning of a retooling, not the "now or never" last chance that some of you are throwing around.  Don't let the fact that we overachieved in the first half of the season bring you down when we level out to where most expected us to finish the season at.  Should be an interesting offseason.  We haven't had to look for a franchise QB out of the first overall pick in quite some time.  The next year or so will be a new experience for many of us.  Ballard is either up to the task or isn't.  Only one way to find out...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

This thread is amazing.

The overall roster is much better than it was when Ballard took over.  We were looking like a deep playoff run was likely until our Top 5, franchise, blue chip QB unexpectedly retired 2 weeks before the season started.  Up to that point, the team was being built under the impression that that guy would be leading our offense and that we would likely be able to play from a lead or at least catch up quickly when the need arises.  Instead, we're now playing as a ground and pound offense that struggles to get chunk yardage and put up points consistently.  Defense was built with this in mind too.  Like it or not, plans change.  In my estimation, the Luck retirement pretty much de-railed the rebuild we were doing.  It's going to take time to get back on track.  I view the 2020 offseason as the beginning of a retooling, not the "now or never" last chance that some of you are throwing around.  Don't let the fact that we overachieved in the first half of the season bring you down when we level out to where most expected us to finish the season at.  Should be an interesting offseason.  We haven't had to look for a franchise QB out of the first overall pick in quite some time.  The next year or so will be a new experience for many of us.  Ballard is either up to the task or isn't.  Only one way to find out...

One player derails a rebuild?  Ballard himself said he didn't want the team to be revolved around one player.  The rebuild is well underway.  It shouldn't take a long time to get back on track if any time at all.  To use Luck as an excuse  is something I am not expecting from Ballard.  Ballard and Reich have said they wanted to be a top five running team.  That goal has not changed.  We didn't overachieve  in the 1st half of the season.  We were a talented and good team before our injuries hit and our kicker lost it.  He might have just fixed the kicking issue last week.  We will see.  He brought in Kelly as a developmental QB.  So far so good there.  Ballard has so many resources at his disposal.  I can see him getting our issues resolved very quickly.  I wouldn't be surprised that when this off season is over we will be a favorite to win our division and will be viewed as a contender again just like we were this year.  We just don't know how he is going to do it.  That's where the fun comes in.  

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

One player derails a rebuild?    

When that player is a top 5 QB in his prime and the team was being built with the expectation of having that guy for the next 6 years at least, yes. Yes it does. I know Ballard would never say it publicly, and he shouldn't, but the fact is QB is the most important position in team sports for a reason.  He was a generational prospect viewed in the Elway/Peyton stratosphere.  He can't be replaced easily. We can do our best, and get someone better than we have now, hopefully, but the rebuild absolutely took a hit when he retired. We have to move forward, no doubt, but people here acting like realistic expectations didn't change when 12 retired are delusional. I trust Ballard to fix it, but he's going to need a little more time than we expected before this season.

We absolutely overachieved the first half of the season.  We can see that with the recent play.

I 100% agree with you that the fun is going to be in seeing how Ballard handles business.  Can't wait to see it unfold!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How come with the Colts current record and down ward spiral does Ballard seem immune to criticism?  Or a thorough evaluation of his drafts and moves since being the Colts's GM?

Didn't know Dakich posted on here, based on Mondays show content, must be part of your show prep...

1 hour ago, CheezyColt said:

This thread is amazing.

Not entirely true ,look at Ballard's press conference when he was hired .He clearly said as much as luck Is great it's not prudent to rely on one guy .Time to get busy 

13 hours ago, Calmack said:

Why draft a receiver who has to learn to run routes over ones who already can? Doesn't matter if its Wilson chucking the ball, the eye test clearly shows Metcalf is better at this stage.

Metcalf was a crapshoot just as much as Campbell was.  Many thought he was a looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane type... And while he's playing much better than Campbell, Indy isn't the only team that missed that call.  You just have to hire the best scouts you can, and truct their evaluations, no one bats 1.000

1 minute ago, Shafty138 said:

Metcalf was a crapshoot just as much as Campbell was.  Many thought he was a looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane type... And while he's playing much better than Campbell, Indy isn't the only team that missed that call.  You just have to hire the best scouts you can, and truct their evaluations, no one bats 1.000

Having Wilson as a QB has also given him a big advantage. He might not be doing that on another team. 

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

If I recall Reich was gaga over Campbell and was pestering Ballard to draft 

2 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Not entirely true ,look at Ballard's press conference when he was hired .He clearly said as much as luck Is great it's not prudent to rely on one guy .Time to get busy 

I understand that.  It was the right thing to say.  But just because he says "it's not ever about just one guy" doesn't mean that one guy isn't the most impactful person you could lose.  The one guy we lost right before the season started was definitely the most impactful person we could have possibly lost.  Those two statements aren't mutually exclusive.  Both can be, and are, true.

4 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Everyone seems to ignore that he said this. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CheezyColt said:

I understand that.  It was the right thing to say.  But just because he says "it's not ever about just one guy" doesn't mean that one guy isn't the most impactful person you could lose.  The one guy we lost right before the season started was definitely the most impactful person we could have possibly lost.  Those two statements aren't mutually exclusive.  Both can be, and are, true.

But he was right .And now I implore Ballard to get us back on track .Please if not for my health .lol

4 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

But he was right .And now I implore Ballard to get us back on track .Please if not for my health .lol

Cheers to that!  I think Ballard should be able to get us back on track, I just think it might take a little longer than what we were expecting heading into this season.  I'm ready to see what's in store though!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Hooker mentioned there was a lot of miscommunication. I dont think it was all because of the scheme.

We have a top running game and a good oline. When your up 14 that’s when you tell the oline to take over and run the ball. Tampa might have good run defense but that is when you need to see if the oline can deliver. Two weeks in a row Reich has forgot about a run game while having that lead.

So much of what this fan base harped and complained about Pagano with. Half hearted run game, then just completely quit trying it. When your team is just about done anyway, why did the staff just roll over and play dead so many times? And why does a defense who shows they can not play in zone at all, why do they keep trying to do so and then allow millions of yards in huge chunk plays? This teams approach since Manning has left has become somewhat laughable in how it approaches situations. Maybe Manning went back to the staff and said NO, this is nonsense how we are playing and I am doing XXX. Idk but we certainly go flaccid way too often. Hell, I’m shocked we didn’t pull Leonard to “rest him” during the game because he made too many hard plays. I suppose we are just going to maintain a ho hum type of mentality to play a game. Hopefully on our week off, instead of practice, we can rest the entire team and read Christmas stories to one another in team meetings. You know, to rest the hard working guys. Just crazy how passive this team is. 

I know running when you want is hard when your playing a very  good run defense. It just seems the runs we tried there was no effort in play calling. It  was just run  up the middle. What happened to the way we blocked against the jags. Where was Nelson pulling. Nothing.

i think Passive is a good word to use. Where is the leadership in the locker room to light a fire with these players. Reich isn’t really a light your fire kind of coach. He trusts his guys. But somebody needs to be a leader.

I like Ballard...and I think he is a very smart executive and a great ambassador for this team....and I am happy with the direction of this team. So let's just say that first. But I was curious to see what the narrative of this season would be...and this thread is a pretty good indicator of where that's headed. It just seems that Ballard has been put on such a pedestal by this fanbase and there is a bit of a double standard applied to him.

This is not meant to be a different comparison to draft record, FA, etc...but Grigs also had to completely turn over a roster (one that was a 2-win team). And his teams won 33 games in the first three years...while going 3-3 in the playoffs. Grigs failed to get that team to the next level (and failed to bring in impact talent)...but if Ballard had duplicated those same results with a healthy Luck...people might be calling him the best Colts GM ever after only 3 years.

And much like this past season, the 2015 season had Super Bowl aspirations. But Luck got hurt...missed more than half the season...and generally played awful when he did play (outside of a couple of games). I think one could make the argument that this wasn't much different than not having Luck at all (like in 2017 and 2019). As the backup, Hasselback played well at the beginning before regressing when his limitations were exposed...and managed to eke out a winning 5-3 record as a starter (somewhat despite his play).

Sort of sounds familiar...doesn't it? 

But that 2015 season, which ended with the Colts going 8-8, was seen as a massive disappointment to an epic failure...depending on who you ask.

Meanwhile, people are already saying this 2019 season, which might actually end at below .500...is some type of accomplishment or a sign that the roster is really talented. 

(Granted that 2015 team didn't have the injuries at the WR position...but it did have inferior coaching.)

So in one season (basically) without Luck...and with Pagano as HC...a Grigs team managed an 8-8 record. In two seasons without Luck...one with Pagano and one with Reich...Ballard's teams are 10-19 and counting.

For people who claim that W/L is all that matters...Ballard should definitely not be above criticism.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

So in one season (basically) without Luck...and with Pagano as HC...a Grigs team managed an 8-8 record. In two seasons without Luck...one with Pagano and one with Reich...Ballard's teams are 10-19 and counting

2017 was still largely Grigson's team though.  

Ballard's not perfect - royally screwed up with Vinatieri - but regardless of record, this is a better team.  

12 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I like Ballard...and I think he is a very smart executive and a great ambassador for this team....and I am happy with the direction of this team. So let's just say that first. But I was curious to see what the narrative of this season would be...and this thread is a pretty good indicator of where that's headed. It just seems that Ballard has been put on such a pedestal by this fanbase and there is a bit of a double standard applied to him.

This is not meant to be a different comparison to draft record, FA, etc...but Grigs also had to completely turn over a roster (one that was a 2-win team). And his teams won 33 games in the first three years...while going 3-3 in the playoffs. Grigs failed to get that team to the next level (and failed to bring in impact talent)...but if Ballard had duplicated those same results with a healthy Luck...people might be calling him the best Colts GM ever after only 3 years.

And much like this past season, the 2015 season had Super Bowl aspirations. But Luck got hurt...missed more than half the season...and generally played awful when he did play (outside of a couple of games). I think one could make the argument that this wasn't much different than not having Luck at all (like in 2017 and 2019). As the backup, Hasselback played well at the beginning before regressing when his limitations were exposed...and managed to eke out a winning 5-3 record as a starter (somewhat despite his play).

Sort of sounds familiar...doesn't it? 

But that 2015 season, which ended with the Colts going 8-8, was seen as a massive disappointment to an epic failure...depending on who you ask.

Meanwhile, people are already saying this 2019 season, which might actually end at below .500...is some type of accomplishment or a sign that the roster is really talented. 

(Granted that 2015 team didn't have the injuries at the WR position...but it did have inferior coaching.)

So in one season (basically) without Luck...and with Pagano as HC...a Grigs team managed an 8-8 record. In two seasons without Luck...one with Pagano and one with Reich...Ballard's teams are 10-19 and counting.

For people who claim that W/L is all that matters...Ballard should definitely not be above criticism.

With the way ballard is building this team I think fans are going to have to be more patient. He isn’t going to go out and just buy a team. The way he is doing it will take time. Now he has to do to the offense what he has done with the defense while fixing a couple issues on defense. Will Irsay give ballard the time. I heard that is what he asked for before he took the job.

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

With the way ballard is building this team I think fans are going to have to be more patient. He isn’t going to go out and just buy a team.

That was with Luck though.  The whole patient, moneyball approach works with an elite QB.  With a lesser QB, you need more playmakers and difference makers.  Might have to pay for a few more Houston-type players, or better.

37 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Couldn't agree more. The problem here is when you defend a Grigson decision the replies are Ballard is so much better. When you criticize a Ballard decision the replies are Grigson was so much worse. 

For example, everyone destroys Grigson for his O line moves and everyone also likes to give Ballard passes for guys like Fountain/Cain/Funchess/Campbell being hurt like its not his fault. If thats true then lets talk about a few Grigson moves. 

Cherilus - very good for a season. Career derailed by injuries. 

Thomas - played 2 games. Career derailed by injuries. 

Mewhort - played very well for several years. Career derailed by injuries. 

Whats the difference? If those 3 move stayed healthy the O line could have been very very good especially with Kelly/Castonzo in there. In my mind, if Grigson sucks and failed to address the O line doesn't Ballard suck for not addressing the WRs? After all the ONLY WR on this team thats done anything is Grigsons. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, #12. said:

That was with Luck though.  The whole patient, moneyball approach works with an elite QB.  With a lesser QB, you need more playmakers and difference makers.  Might have to pay for a few more Houston-type players, or better.

No we will clearly be drafting a new QB. So now he has to rebuild the offense too. Except the oline this offense needs a lot of pieces. Fans are going to have to be patient because he isn’t going to go out and just try and buy a SB. Losing Luck sets things back a couple years.

16 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Couldn't agree more. The problem here is when you defend a Grigson decision the replies are Ballard is so much better. When you criticize a Ballard decision the replies are Grigson was so much worse. 

For example, everyone destroys Grigson for his O line moves and everyone also likes to give Ballard passes for guys like Fountain/Cain/Funchess/Campbell being hurt like its not his fault. If thats true then lets talk about a few Grigson moves. 

Cherilus - very good for a season. Career derailed by injuries. 

Thomas - played 2 games. Career derailed by injuries. 

Mewhort - played very well for several years. Career derailed by injuries. 

Whats the difference? If those 3 move stayed healthy the O line could have been very very good especially with Kelly/Castonzo in there. In my mind, if Grigson sucks and failed to address the O line doesn't Ballard suck for not addressing the WRs? After all the ONLY WR on this team thats done anything is Grigsons. 

Eh, not equal comparisons IMO.  We made Cherilus the highest paid RT if I remember correctly.  So that's a huge chunk of cap to a player that ended up not helping the team much.  For wide receiver we had Funchess on a 1 year prove it deal but still had the most cap space in the league after signing.  Fountain/Cain/Campbell were all draft picks in the last 2 years that were understood to need some development.  They're still on cheap rookie contracts.  Grigson's picks and FA pickups have already played out.  I felt really bad for Thomas, as I thought it was a good signing but guy just got a new injury as soon as he healed from the last.  That quad injury was brutal.  I think most people here were happy and supportive of the Mewhort pick and liked what he did when here.  I certainly don't blame his injuries on Grigson.

Regardless, injuries are NOT the fault of the GM.  Ballard or Grigson.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No we will clearly be drafting a new QB. So now he has to rebuild the offense too. Except the oline this offense needs a lot of pieces. Fans are going to have to be patient because he isn’t going to go out and just try and buy a SB. Losing Luck sets things back a couple years.

This is the point:  Ballard walked in knowing he already had an elite QB, so you can build in a certain way - the New England moneyball approach.  That's gone.  Even after drafting a QB, there is no guarantee you will have another elite QB in this town any time soon, so you may need to build slightly differently.  With Luck and this roster, you could have competed for a Super Bowl.  With an average QB(or less) and this roster, you're a below average team.  If you don't have a Manning or Luck, you need a stacked team, you need a team full of difference makers to compete, and you will probably have to buy a few of them.

19 hours ago, ricker182 said:

There's absolutely no way I can criticize a GM in the same season that his stud QB quit two weeks before the start of the season.

The fact that they have 6 wins and have had a chance to win just about every game means he built a pretty good team.  

I need to add that I'm typically very critical of this team, but I have no idea how anyone can blame Ballard.  

He and Reich were dealt a terrible hand to start the season and the Colts have proven that they've done a pretty good job so far building an actual team.  

21 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard has way too many 4th string/borderline NFL players on the roster, like Mo Allie Cox. Too many prospects on Chris Ballard Scholarship. With all the resources available, Ballard should have brought in better players to fill out the roster. No reason Mo Allie Cox should have had his roster spot locked in. I don't want to only pick on Cox. He's one of several unproven players that had their roster spots locked up.

Last I checked, this is the Colts “Fan” Forum, not a hate Forum. Not sure why you’re still here...

With that being said, Alie-Cox is one of the best if not the best TE3 in the NFL. He could be starting on a handful of teams. Why would we pay for 3 TE1’s when we have other holes to fill?? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!