Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard

Moosejawcolt

47 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The Steelers and the Titans, in a sense, lost their starting qbs and kept ticking

The Steelers are more established and experienced in their coaching. Tomlin should get serious consideration for Coach of the Year.

Tannehill is obviously better than Brissett now that he's in the right team environment and they already had him before the season started.

• Like 1

How many games did Hilton miss last year and how many has he missed this year? I think it still falls on Brissett, teams can defend us a lot easier than they could last year with Luck. Upgrade at qb is needed. Since 1972 we've had 4 qb's with multible playoff appearences(Jones,3; Harbaugh,2; Peyton,11; Luck 4). So in 47 years that's not many. We are NOT the steelers we can't put a drastically talentless team on the field with an undrafted rookie free agent at qb and make the playoffs.

31 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I can’t name who would have beaten us just like you can’t name who we’d have beaten if he had played. 

Jacoby is good enough to win with a really good team around him. This team is not there yet. 

Sounds like you're copping out.... 

I can name 12 teams we would have beaten, and another that we would have likely beaten.

You don't upgrade everything just to make up for the deficiencies of a player who actually lowers the ceiling of other players performance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

If you have been watching what Metcalf has been doing on Seattle, you would understand that Campbell is a huge miss. 

I......actually kinda agree. We also passed on A.J. Brown, who I wanted us to draft badly. 

Campbell was a gadget and slant route-catching receiver all throughout college. I have no idea how Ballard graded him better than the 2 aforementioned. 

But, its still to early to call him a miss. Rock Ya Sin for that matter too. They need more than 3/4 of a season to be deemed misses. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Calmack said:

I......actually kinda agree. We also passed on A.J. Brown, who I wanted us to draft badly. 

Campbell was a gadget and slant route-catching receiver all throughout college. I have no idea how Ballard graded him better than the 2 aforementioned. 

But, its still to early to call him a miss. Rock Ya Sin for that matter too. They need more than 3/4 of a season to be deemed misses. 

They have talked about how Campbell has to learn to play as a complete WR.  He was showing a lot of promise in camp. He has never got a chance to really get his feet wet with injuries. Metcalf has Wilson to throw to him.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I can name 12 teams we would have beaten, and another that we would have likely beaten.

You don't upgrade everything just to make up for the deficiencies of a player who actually lowers the ceiling of other players performance. 

I don’t care who is the QB. If it’s luck or Curtis painter. We need upgrades at the skilled position. Injuries have hurt us in fourth quarters. That’s where you need play makers.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

They have talked about how Campbell has to learn to play as a complete WR.  He was showing a lot of promise in camp. He has never got a chance to really get his feet wet with injuries. Metcalf has Wilson to throw to him.

Why draft a receiver who has to learn to run routes over ones who already can? Doesn't matter if its Wilson chucking the ball, the eye test clearly shows Metcalf is better at this stage.

In a magical fairy tale land far far away I envisioned the Colts staying somewhat healthy with a healthy Andrew Luck.......  The team would probably be much better than it was last year.  

The reality is they lost Luck and their WR core has been absolutely decimated.  A complete turn of events that I wouldn’t really put on Ballard.  

The team has literally been competitive every game but finds ways to kill themselves. 

• Like 2

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t care who is the QB. If it’s luck or Chris painter. We need upgrades at the skilled position. Injuries have hurt us in fourth quarters. That’s where you need play makers.

uh... he specifically mentioned JB. you know, the poster who I was replying to... 

we get it, you want shiny new toys.

5 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Why draft a receiver who has to learn to run routes over ones who already can? Doesn't matter if its Wilson chucking the ball, the eye test clearly shows Metcalf is better at this stage.

I actually agree with you. I have said in the past Mclaurin could of been a better pick.  I guess my point is if Campbell has not got hurt in camp and the other injuries he might be doing really well by now. His develop got stunted with the injuries.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s also about setting up a future young QB for success.

Chloe you're popping into a conversation that's different from the exchange we were having. The poster I was replying to brought JB into the conversation, so either stay out of the exchange, or read the background. 

Like I said, roster management in general, and WR personnel strategy, will be very different if we draft a new QB as compared to keeping JB.

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I actually agree with you. I have said in the past Mclaurin could of been a better pick.  I guess my point is if Campbell has not got hurt in camp and the other injuries he might be doing really well by now. His develop got stunted with the injuries.

McLaurin would have been an amazing pick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How come with the Colts current record and down ward spiral does Ballard seem immune to criticism?  Or a thorough evaluation of his drafts and moves since being the Colts's GM?

Because if Vinny hits his kicks at his normal rate we are 9-4.....

And if we had Andrew Luck we'd likely be 11-2.....

Neither those two things and the fluke injuries the Colts have had would or could be blamed on the GM.....

3 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

With a good vinny and healthy JB/Hilton we would in all likelihood be 10-3 for sure, possibly 11-2. 

Bottom line is Vinny cost us at least two games. Hoyer cost us at least one.  Then if we win the Steelers and Miami game this slide might never have happened. It’s not all doom and gloom like some people want to make it out to be. It’s just been a lot of errors within every part of the game. Not one player can be blamed for this season.

• Like 1

I lay a lot

of blame on the coaching staff currently. Allowing all these 3rd and long yardage plays constantly has me concerned with how Eberflus runs his schemes. Wide, I mean wide open guys too often for this defense. That’s scheme issues. As for the offense, some may be scheme but when your QB has major limitations, the best wr in the league has issues. I don’t think there is any skirting around the issue here, we must get better at the helm and Ballard has to hit even better this offseason. Defense has to tighten way up. Losing Luck was a huge blow, even if we don’t want to admit it, Luck was good for 3-4 of the losses we had that would have been wins had he been the qb. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I lay a lot

of blame on the coaching staff currently. Allowing all these 3rd and long yardage plays constantly has me concerned with how Eberflus runs his schemes. Wide, I mean wide open guys too often for this defense. That’s scheme issues. As for the offense, some may be scheme but when your QB has major limitations, the best wr in the league has issues. I don’t think there is any skirting around the issue here, we must get better at the helm and Ballard has to hit even better this offseason. Defense has to tighten way up. Losing Luck was a huge blow, even if we don’t want to admit it, Luck was good for 3-4 of the losses we had that would have been wins had he been the qb. 

Hooker mentioned there was a lot of miscommunication. I dont think it was all because of the scheme.

We have a top running game and a good oline. When your up 14 that’s when you tell the oline to take over and run the ball. Tampa might have good run defense but that is when you need to see if the oline can deliver. Two weeks in a row Reich has forgot about a run game while having that lead.

There's absolutely no way I can criticize a GM in the same season that his stud QB quit two weeks before the start of the season.

The fact that they have 6 wins and have had a chance to win just about every game means he built a pretty good team.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Hooker mentioned there was a lot of miscommunication. I dont think it was all because of the scheme.

We have a top running game and a good oline. When your up 14 that’s when you tell the oline to take over and run the ball. Tampa might have good run defense but that is when you need to see if the oline can deliver. Two weeks in a row Reich has forgot about a run game while having that lead.

So, are you advocating that we keep JB and fire Frank Reich? You think there is a better coach than him to lead this team? Someone that won’t hold Jacoby back? You see, I think FR has been helping JB a lot. He helped Nick Foles and he helped Andrew Luck and he is currently helping Jacoby. Jacoby needs more help than the other 2 QBs. I think you are blaming FR for all of our close losses when Jacoby is the one who needs to progress more. Jacoby can’t run a 2 minute drive in the 4th and that isn’t on Frank, that’s a skill set Jacoby needs to learn in order to win an NFL game. 

Note: I want Jacoby to succeed. 

Just now, LockeDown said:

So, are you advocating that we keep JB and fire Frank Reich? You think there is a better coach than him to lead this team? Someone that won’t hold Jacoby back? You see, I think FR has been helping JB a lot. He helped Nick Foles and he helped Andrew Luck and he is currently helping Jacoby. Jacoby needs more help than the other 2 QBs. I think you are blaming FR for all of our close losses when Jacoby is the one who needs to progress more. Jacoby can’t run a 2 minute drive in the 4th and that isn’t on Frank, that’s a skill set Jacoby needs to learn in order to win an NFL game.

No that isn’t what I am saying. Just saying this year there has been a lot of questionable coaching. It’s just part of the issue this year. Not a huge issue but it’s there. 

115Malik HookerFSOhio State

246Quincy WilsonCBFlorida

380Tarell BashamOLBOhio

4137Zach BannerOTUSC

143Marlon MackRBSouth Florida

144Grover StewartDTAlbany State

5158Nate HairstonCBTemple

161Anthony Walker Jr.ILBNorthwestern

16Quenton NelsonGuardNotre DameFrom NY Jets

236Darius LeonardLinebackerSouth Carolina State

37Braden SmithGuardAuburnFrom NY Jets

52Kemoko TurayDefensive endRutgersFrom Baltimore via Philadelphia

64Tyquan LewisDefensive endOhio StateFrom Philadelphia via Cleveland

4104Nyheim HinesRunning backNC State

5159Daurice FountainWide receiverNorthern IowaFrom Kansas City via Cleveland, New England, and Oakland

169Jordan WilkinsRunning backOle MissFrom Philadelphia

6185Deon CainWide receiverClemsonFrom Oakland

7221Matthew Adams LinebackerHouston

235Zaire Franklin LinebackerSyracuse

34Rock Ya-SinCBTempleFrom New York Jets

49Ben BanoguLBTCUFrom Cleveland Browns

59Parris CampbellWROhio State

389Bobby OkerekeLBStanford

4109Khari WillisSMSU

5144Marvell TellSUSCFrom Cleveland Browns

164E. J. SpeedLBTarleton State

6199Gerri GreenDEMississippi State

7240Jackson BartonTUtah

246Javon PattersonCOle Mis

Right there are Ballards first 3 drafts.

Stars/game changers?

Nelson

Leonard

Solid NFL players

Hooker

Mack

Smith

Turray

Hines

Walker

Willis

Potential good players

Basham

Steward

Hairston

Turray

Ya Sin

Banagou

Campbell
Tell

The rest are all meh to below average to injured.

So there you have it.  For being a draft guru, you cannot tell me that those 3 drafts are super, awesome, better than average.

They aren't.

So I think we need to put to rest that Ballard can build a super bowl team via mainly the draft. Based on his record so far, he is  average to slightly above average drafter ONLY,.

• Thanks 1

The fact this team has even won as many games and in such tight battles even in the losses , shows how much better we are than when Luck missed the other year. Luck completely screwed this team. There is no way to sugar coat it no matter how justified or Nobel his reasoning was. Luck shoulders 95 percent of the blame for this season. That said, Ballard has proven thus far to make solid decisions for the most part so I trust he’ll right the ship. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Islandecho said:

380Tarell BashamOLBOhio

4137Zach BannerOTUSC

5159Daurice FountainWide receiverNorthern IowaFrom Kansas City via Cleveland, New England, and Oakland

4109Khari WillisSMSU

7240Jackson BartonTUtah

Stars/game changers?

Nelson

Leonard

Solid NFL players

Hooker

Mack

Smith

Turray

Hines

Walker

Willis

Potential good players

Basham

Steward

Hairston

Turray

Ya Sin

Banagou

Campbell
Tell

So there you have it.  For being a draft guru, you cannot tell me that those 3 drafts are super, awesome, better than average.

They aren't.

So I think we need to put to rest that Ballard can build a super bowl team via mainly the draft. Based on his record so far, he is  average to slightly above average drafter ONLY,.

Oreke is turning into a dang good player.  He’s drafted two all Pros in the same year and looks to have a stud in Orekee too. 

building thru the draft takes longer in most cases. Besides, what FA addition would have saved us from the Luck thing? That is what ultimately screwed this season

It still amazes me how much people don't understand how bad this roster was when Ballard took over and still is a mediocre roster as it is. 

Ballard is building a TEAM and a TEAM can overachieve together. 

What Ballard done here so far is beyond expectations. Next year will be big in how to judge his overall team building. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rayski said:

It still amazes me how much people don't understand how bad this roster was when Ballard took over and still is a mediocre roster as it is. 

Ballard is building a TEAM and a TEAM can overachieve together. 

What Ballard done here so far is beyond expectations. Next year will be big in how to judge his overall team building. 

Agreed. That is what is so dang upsetting about this season. This TEAM is better at every position than it was two years ago and even last year (when healthy) except for one position. That being QB. Brissett is not a bad QB. He’s a solid QB but he’s still lacking in several non-physical areas. Being that they are mental, perhaps they can be coached out. But I don’t think he’s going to be much more than a Alex Smith type QB. I see that being his ceiling. Now does Ballard pull a magic trick and upgrade, maybe. That remains to be seen

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

The lack of offensive playmakers (due to injury) has really hurt them in the 4th. 

I agree with injuries have hurt the team, but when the team is down in the 4th I've never felt like Brissett was going to march the team down the field and give the team a chance at a comeback (with or without TY) 

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Because we'd be 13-0 likely if we had Luck. I'm not a Ballard worshiper, but this isn't on him. He's upgraded or made solid attempts to upgrade every unit after inheriting what was mostly a dumpster fire in terms of depth and talent.

Even the JB fan club knows this boils down to the change of QB.

Not saying we don't need upgrades in several areas, but who here thinks we're not at least at 11-2 had Luck not left and playing for a 1 seed right now, even with all the injuries.

Ummm we have no recievers outside of Hilton, we need two new defensive tackles,a edge rusher, and an elite corner. He’s failed to address that area

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

No one is psychic here.  You can name who we would have beaten all you want but it means absolutely nothing.  That's why they play the games.  I don't look at games that way in the NFL.  

Even if this team would have been the most talented team Luck would have played with, it's not by much and it is not talented enough.  Ballard said he was building a team that didn't totally rely on a QB to win.  So far he hasn't done this and it's obvious because everyone keeps saying we'd be 13-0 or 11-2 right now with Luck.   

11 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think this is on ballard. Everything that could go wrong has gone wromg. It’s been a comedy of errors. 

We are close. We have been in every game this year with a chance to win in the 4th.

Your last statement sounds familiar. In 2017 we were close in alot of games but lost. So, what is the common denominator, JB started 15 games. He has not improved. JB is not the answer. If we stay with what we are doing look for more of the same. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Bottom line is Vinny cost us at least two games. Hoyer cost us at least one.  Then if we win the Steelers and Miami game this slide might never have happened. It’s not all doom and gloom like some people want to make it out to be. It’s just been a lot of errors within every part of the game. Not one player can be blamed for this season.

Don't forget Chloe, Himes fumble you said cost us the game yesterday. :thmup:

7 hours ago, Islandecho said:

380Tarell BashamOLBOhio

4137Zach BannerOTUSC

4109Khari WillisSMSU

7240Jackson BartonTUtah

Stars/game changers?

Nelson

Leonard

Solid NFL players

Hooker

Mack

Smith

Turray

Hines

Walker

Willis

Potential good players

Basham

Steward

Hairston

Turray

Ya Sin

Banagou

Campbell
Tell

They aren't.

They are certainly "better than average".  

Ballard has done amazing with the crap he inherited.    The 2020 draft is where he really needs to shine.   Picking the future QB must be done right.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lincolndefan said:

Your last statement sounds familiar. In 2017 we were close in alot of games but lost. So, what is the common denominator, JB started 15 games. He has not improved. JB is not the answer. If we stay with what we are doing look for more of the same. 

Yep.   Brissett has not changed since college.  I hope he is not the starter in 2020.

10 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

The lack of offensive playmakers (due to injury) has really hurt them in the 4th. 

Yeah this is the only problem with the team is injuries. You had depth, but even those players are getting hurt.