Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nothing positive to say

GoColts8818

Yes I know there are positives to take away from this game but it’s clear Jacoby isn’t the answer at QB and I am starting to wonder about the coaches.  You can’t win the turnover battle 4-1 outscore them 17-0 off turnovers and lose.  The coaches were way too conservative after the last turnover they got.  Waisting a timeout to call a screen pass that you have called in that situation all day was just bad.  Even when things worked liked the fourth down play at the end of the half it was beyond dumb to even being going for it there.  Just take the points and don’t gamble for the sake of gambling because sooner or later you will crap out and it will cost you.  Sticking with the zone defense and blitzing nonstop despite it getting shredded and then going man when you put a backup corner in there.    The safeties constantly being out of position.  This was just awful.  Worst game the Colts have played and coached all year.  Don’t let the deep passes fool you, Brissett couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn outside of those couple of big throws.  This team is not a winner and it’s playing like it finding ways to lose.   I know people are going to come in here and spin it and attack me because I am very disappointed in the way the team played today. That’s fine and while there are some positives take away that’s the case in every game.  I’d encourage you not to get blinded by your blue glasses and see today for what it was, a losing team finding away to lose.  

• Like 8

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes I know there are positives to take away from this game but it’s clear Jacoby isn’t the answer at QB and I am starting to wonder about the coaches.  You can’t win the turnover battle 4-1 outscore them 17-0 off turnovers and lose.  The coaches were way too conservative after the last turnover they got.  Waisting a timeout to call a screen pass that you have called in that situation all day was just bad.  Sticking with the zone defense and blitzing nonstop despite it getting shredded and then going man when you put a backup corner in there.    The safeties constantly being out of position.  This was just awful.  Worst game the Colts have played and coached all year.  Don’t let the deep passes fool you, Brissett couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn outside of those couple of big throws.  This team is not a winner and it’s playing like it finding ways to lose.   I know people are going to come in here and spin it and attack me because I am very disappointed in the way the team played today. That’s fine and while there are some positives take away that’s the case in every game.  I’d encourage you not to get blinded by your blue glasses and see today for what it was, a losing team finding away to lose.  

I will agree with you on this. scoring 35 points you would think that you could not loose. As I has said earlier this team had no goal the day Luck retired. Your kicker was hurt all year. and the defense and offense regressed

5 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Do you suggest a change in DC?

I am not going to say fire the coaches because that’s an over reaction.  I will say they need to start being more honest with themselves and less stubborn with what they want to do or they will get fired sooner or later.  You want to know BB’s real secret to success in New England?  When something isn’t working he changes it.  He doesn’t just keep doing it “because it’s what we do.”

• Like 4

This also marks three key games in a row where the defense has had a double digit lead I think (I cant remember what they went up on Texans it might have been just one score) and lost.  Something has to change on defense.  Teams have figured out the back off and don’t get beat deep defense and are picking them apart and the safeties are constantly out of position leading to getting beat deep.

i remember back in the pre-season Rick V. saying that if the Colts were going to play zone in the redzone it was going to kill them and it is.  The Colts coaches are proving to be way too stubborn across the board and it’s killing them

• Like 1

100pc agree.

I love Frank and Matt, but that was one of their worst games in terms of coaching since they arrived.

The defense, except from some situational play, was a complete mess. Honestly it looked like they didn't prepare right for this game, leaving the midfield wide open for Godwin and others to exploit.

I hate these 3rd and long screen plays Frank calls. It's wayyy too conservative. He has no confidence in Jacoby to throw the ball on critical situations. Its sad.

Season is over anyway. But the coaches and the front office have alot of stuff to figure out next offseason. They need to be honest with themselves. This season has been such a disappointment from the positivity we had last year. 

3 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

100pc agree.

I love Frank and Matt, but that was one of their worst games in terms of coaching since they arrived.

The defense, except from some situational play, was a complete mess. Honestly it looked like they didn't prepare right for this game, leaving the midfield wide open for Godwin and others to exploit.

I hate these 3rd and long screen plays Frank calls. It's wayyy too conservative. He has no confidence in Jacoby to throw the ball on critical situations. Its sad.

Season is over anyway. But the coaches and the front office have alot of stuff to figure out next offseason. They need to be honest with themselves. This season has been such a disappointment from the positivity we had last year. 

The Colts put too much pressure on first down.  If the first down play doesn’t work second is going to be run which gets stuffed because teams have figured that out and then the third down screen which teams have now figured out.  While first down is important that’s way too much pressure on first because if the Colts get nothing out of it you know it’s going to be a three and out.  

Just now, coltsva said:

And I’ll add they botched the play calling at the end of the 1st half as well, 

but got lucky.

Yeah that didn’t slip by me.  That was dumb.  You risked everything to end up kicking a field goal anyways.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

100pc agree.

To be fair I dont have much faith in JB passing either.  6/16 in first half is bad.  Probably 4 in a row were stupid drops which is a problem with WR depth but he throws way high or low and like a sniper rifle which doesnt help.

The Colts put too much pressure on first down.  If the first down play doesn’t work second is going to be run which gets stuffed because teams have figured that out and then the third down screen which teams have now figured out.  While first down is important that’s way too much pressure on first because if the Colts get nothing out of it you know it’s going to be a three and out.  

So basically your saying the colts have no play book just 12 or 13 plays for the whole game. I think you summed it up perfectly

1 minute ago, Archangel said:

So basically your saying the colts have no play book just 12 or 13 plays for the whole game. I think you summed it up perfectly

At times it seems that way.  I think frank likes concepts more than plays, as they call screens a lot but it’s hardly ever the same screen pass.  The bigger problem is that teams know it’s going to be a screen in that situation so they just look for the guy who is getting screened opened.  The maddening thing is we know Frank is really creative.  I’d like to see him do it more often.

• Like 1

At times it seems that way.  I think frank likes concepts more than plays, as they call screens a lot but it’s hardly ever the same screen pass.  The bigger problem is that teams know it’s going to be a screen in that situation so they just look for the guy who is getting screened opened.  The maddening thing is we know Frank is really creative.  I’d like to see him do it more often.

My hunch not sure though but I think maybe Frank does not really have faith in JB that's why plays for JB are limited. Hence, the D figuring out the plays

• Like 1

Yes the coaching staff sucked tonight, but we are a decent QB away from being a contender.

I know Brissett played a good game tonight, for the most part. But he's no Andrew Luck, who just gave this team something else and overall, we were a much much better team with him.

Brissett ain't all bad, but he's limiting this team and limiting the coaching staffs ability to use the whole playbook. 

We went from playoff team to near the bottom of the AFC South with the change from Luck to Brissett and that won't change as long Brissett is our QB. 

Right now, our best hope is to loose out and get a higher draft pick and hope Redskins don't win more games, so we can summon enough draft capital to get one of those top QB's in the next draft. 

Reich and the staff is very good, but they to are limited with Brissett.

CB has to do something big this off season, if not, we are dead last in the afc south next season. 

1 minute ago, coltsfan_canada said:

My hunch not sure though but I think maybe Frank does not really have faith in JB that's why plays for JB are limited. Hence, the D figuring out the plays

I am not so sure I buy that because when first down is successful we see Frank get creative and that’s when the Colts move the ball and score most of the time.

• Like 1

Just now, ThorstenDenmark said:

Yes the coaching staff sucked tonight, but we are a decent QB away from being a contender.

I know Brissett played a good game tonight, for the most part. But he's no Andrew Luck, who just gave this team something else and overall, we were a much much better team with him.

Brissett ain't all bad, but he's limiting this team and limiting the coaching staffs ability to use the whole playbook. 

We went from playoff team to near the bottom of the AFC South with the change from Luck to Brissett and that won't change as long Brissett is our QB. 

Right now, our best hope is to loose out and get a higher draft pick and hope Redskins don't win more games, so we can summon enough draft capital to get one of those top QB's in the next draft. 

Reich and the staff is very good, but they to are limited with Brissett.

CB has to do something big this off season, if not, we are dead last in the afc south next season. 

It’s not all the QB.  While I would disagree that Jacoby had a good day today, I’d say he hit a couple of shots deep to make it look like he had a good day but was awful outside of that.  The defense got shredded today and I am scared to think what Drew Brees is going to do to it if the Colts stick with the zone defense that they have been playing giving receivers big cousins and the safeties not on the same page.  

The offense has given the defense double digit leads in the second half of three straight games I believe and they have lost them all.  At some point you have to look at what you are doing on defense because it’s not working.

• Like 1

Just now, coltsfan_canada said:

Then blame the receiving core maybe they suck? can't create separation or drops?

That’s some of it but not all of it.  Today there were very few drops.  Jacoby just couldn’t hit the broad side of the barn outside of the deep balls he hit.  The offense needs an overhaul on weapons I agree but I think the Colts offense has more than one problem.  It’s not just Jacoby, or the receivers, or the play calling.  It’s all of them.

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah that didn’t slip by me.  That was dumb.  You risked everything to end up kicking a field goal anyways.  

everything you have written is spot on. Your right about the coaches. The thing that aggravates me is publicly they come off as if they have the right people on the bus. however, they have a qb that is only capable of running a small part of the playbook. I think that is killing the offense the most. They are predictable. The defense has a chance to be good personnel wise, but the zone defense only works with steady pressure. I like Frank R. Without Luck, he is handcuffed. Defensive coaches need to change.

The positive is we picked up a spot or 2 in the draft with the loss. I just hope we lose out the rest of the season as tough as it is to say. After being completely eliminated from the playoffs winning only hurts this team. On to the 2020 draft.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes I know there are positives to take away from this game but it’s clear Jacoby isn’t the answer at QB and I am starting to wonder about the coaches.  You can’t win the turnover battle 4-1 outscore them 17-0 off turnovers and lose.  The coaches were way too conservative after the last turnover they got.  Waisting a timeout to call a screen pass that you have called in that situation all day was just bad.  Even when things worked liked the fourth down play at the end of the half it was beyond dumb to even being going for it there.  Just take the points and don’t gamble for the sake of gambling because sooner or later you will crap out and it will cost you.  Sticking with the zone defense and blitzing nonstop despite it getting shredded and then going man when you put a backup corner in there.    The safeties constantly being out of position.  This was just awful.  Worst game the Colts have played and coached all year.  Don’t let the deep passes fool you, Brissett couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn outside of those couple of big throws.  This team is not a winner and it’s playing like it finding ways to lose.   I know people are going to come in here and spin it and attack me because I am very disappointed in the way the team played today. That’s fine and while there are some positives take away that’s the case in every game.  I’d encourage you not to get blinded by your blue glasses and see today for what it was, a losing team finding away to lose.  

I actually agree with you 100% and people can attack me all they want I don't give a crap since the Denver game this team has been playing like the worst team in the league.