Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

'Want ad' in the Star?

Rally5

16 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Because:

1. He's an amazing guy with some issues to work out, I can forgive that...

2. He's a 30 YO Hall of Fame talent.

3. He can bring us a Super Bowl.

Seems like three really good reasons off the top of my head or we can hope for the best the next 20 years because lightning won't strike the same place three times in a row.

Think of how many times he got pounded to the turf. 
 I would bet the house he has issues with concussion symptons.
 And back, and ...  Let the guy go.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I’ve always thought there is a certain mentality you need to be an NFL lifer ala Ronnie Lott cutting off part of his his finger.

Which he regrets now.  He's said if he could go back, he would have missed time and saved his finger.

And we've seen Andrew Luck do the same thing, just not as extreme as having part of his body cut off.  He played through some serious injuries when he probably should have sat out and let his body heal.

Only Andrew Luck knows the exact reasons and timing of when he truly decided to retire.  The rest of us can speculate, judge him, and call him names like @Coffeedrinker, but I respect what he did for this franchise and wish him the best.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rally5 said:

To my knowledge Lott is the only player in the history of the game to cut off part of his body so he could play but I get your point.  I actually agree with you for the most part. So are you saying if Andrew said I want to play again, you'd say 'cool but go somewhere else and do it we'd rather keep Jacoby or draft a rookie  and get some picks?'  

Haha. No I would cave and welcome him back. I don’t think he’s selfish. I think he felt he had no other way out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Which he regrets now.  He's said if he could go back, he would have missed time and saved his finger.

And we've seen Andrew Luck do the same thing, just not as extreme as having part of his body cut off.  He played through some serious injuries when he probably should have sat out and let his body heal.

Only Andrew Luck knows the exact reasons and timing of when he truly decided to retire.  The rest of us can speculate, judge him, and call him names like @Coffeedrinker, but I respect what he did for this franchise and wish him the best.

I respect him too. I just told someone else I would take him back. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Haha. No I would cave and welcome him back. I don’t think he’s selfish. I think he felt he had no other way out.

If I was in charge of the colts and Luck told me he wanted to play again right now, I'd be planning on him being my starter against the Saints. But in the off season I would still be looking at the QB position because Luck would not be counted on year to year. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Where’s the line between quitting on a team and taking care of your own health? 

I’m as disappointed as anyone that Luck retired.   But I never once thought if him as a guy who quit on his team.  I think of him as a man who was suffering and couldn’t put up with the NFL-life anymore.   The timing couldn’t be helped.   Sucks for us.   But I don’t see Luck as a quitter. 

This x1000.   Luck didn’t quit on the Colts, he quit playing football.  It’s always sad to see one of the more talented employees change careers but you gotta respect it. I don’t agree with Andrew Luck’s decision one bit and think it’s a huge mistake.  However, he obviously isn’t career oriented towards football and wants to do something else.  He gave us his full effort while he was here and that is all you can ask for.  If he had sucked no one would be complaining so just let it go. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m as disappointed as anyone that Luck retired.   But I never once thought if him as a guy who quit on his team.  I think of him as a man who was suffering and couldn’t put up with the NFL-life anymore.   The timing couldn’t be helped.   Sucks for us.   But I don’t see Luck as a quitter. 

Every player deals with some sort of strain, pull, bruises, sores, and that's not including significant injuries like breaks or tears. I'm sure he realized he didnt love the sport as much as he hated the pain it brought him. Still wish he would have seen the stars aligning and realized he couldn't do it before the very last minute. 

Im just not convinced that this was spur of the moment. I think hes been having doubts for the last 2-3 years. I think he did in fact want to retire after he hurt his shoulder. He even as much as admitted he thought he might not play again, and that could simply mean he had lost motivation to want it. Not that he couldn't do it. Just that he didnt want to hence irsay comment (in between the ears). 

The Colts convinced Andrew to return for the 2018 season. Play it out. He always loved playing. But then after that season he was right back to where he was. I mean your beat up at the end of the season. You just lost in the playoffs to KC. 

My problem is the timing of it. As an adult myself, I have learned to listen to my true wants and desires. What is worth it to me, and what isnt, so the fact that he waited so long to retire just gets under my skin. You just dont wait until the last moment to "realize" you dont love the game anymore. That's not something you realize spur of the moment like he did. Hes known deep down for a long time, and him living in denial of that, sucker punched the Colts and its fans when he decided to quit on the team 2 weeks before the season started. 

If it were me, I would have played 2019 out seeing as how I waited so long to make that realization. I'm not going to screw over my teammates and overall the orginization because I took so long to stop living in denial. 

Do I have a problem with him retiring? No. I have a problem with him living in denial and then quitting at the last second. I find that disrespectful. He could have easily said, I'm retiring after this year because of my past of injuries and it has made me realize that my love for the game isnt enough for the daily grind of the NFL. 

At the end of this year, Andrew could have rode off into the sunset a much Beloved Colt, and no one would have any issues with him being in the ring of honor, or any of the like. He could have left on a very high note regardless of his premature retirement. 

The timing could be helped. He decided it couldn't. No one else. If he does indeed come back next hear, I would send his * to a QB needy team for 2 first round picks and never look back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Every player deals with some sort of strain, pull, bruises, sores, and that's not including significant injuries like breaks or tears. I'm sure he realized he didnt love the sport as much as he hated the pain it brought him. Still wish he would have seen the stars aligning and realized he couldn't do it before the very last minute. 

Im just not convinced that this was spur of the moment. I think hes been having doubts for the last 2-3 years. I think he did in fact want to retire after he hurt his shoulder. He even as much as admitted he thought he might not play again, and that could simply mean he had lost motivation to want it. Not that he couldn't do it. Just that he didnt want to hence irsay comment (in between the ears). 

The Colts convinced Andrew to return for the 2018 season. Play it out. He always loved playing. But then after that season he was right back to where he was. I mean your beat up at the end of the season. You just lost in the playoffs to KC. 

My problem is the timing of it. As an adult myself, I have learned to listen to my true wants and desires. What is worth it to me, and what isnt, so the fact that he waited so long to retire just gets under my skin. You just dont wait until the last moment to "realize" you dont love the game anymore. That's not something you realize spur of the moment like he did. Hes known deep down for a long time, and him living in denial of that, sucker punched the Colts and its fans when he decided to quit on the team 2 weeks before the season started. 

If it were me, I would have played 2019 out seeing as how I waited so long to make that realization. I'm not going to screw over my teammates and overall the orginization because I took so long to stop living in denial. 

Do I have a problem with him retiring? No. I have a problem with him living in denial and then quitting at the last second. I find that disrespectful. He could have easily said, I'm retiring after this year because of my past of injuries and it has made me realize that my love for the game isnt enough for the daily grind of the NFL. 

At the end of this year, Andrew could have rode off into the sunset a much Beloved Colt, and no one would have any issues with him being in the ring of honor, or any of the like. He could have left on a very high note regardless of his premature retirement. 

The timing could be helped. He decided it couldn't. No one else. 

Don't forget he wasn't 100% healthy in camp.  To me it looked like he was trying to get through it but nothing improved and the season was quickly approaching.  Then he made the decision he wasn't going to enter the season injured again and risk further injury.  So he decided to retire.  I don't see him as a quitter at all.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Don't forget he wasn't 100% healthy in camp.  To me it looked like he was trying to get through it but nothing improved and the season was quickly approaching.  Then he made the decision he wasn't going to enter the season injured again and risk further injury.  So he decided to retire.  I don't see him as a quitter at all.  

It was obviously a collection of things. I have moved on, but if he comes back he has proven unreliable so why keep him when you can attain some pretty significant draft capital? Hes not the first mega talented player that fizzled out of the NFL. 

6 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

It was obviously a collection of things. I have moved on, but if he comes back he has proven unreliable so why keep him when you can attain some pretty significant draft capital? Hes not the first mega talented player that fizzled out of the NFL. 

The only thing I hated about Luck retiring was the timing of it. The team would've been much better off had he retired after the Chiefs playoff game and not 2 weeks before the season. That would've gave Ballard a chance to draft a QB coming into this season or even get one in Free Agency. The team as a whole would've also known back in March that JB was the man with a rookie coming in. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The only thing I hated about Luck retiring was the timing of it. The team would've been much better off had he retired after the Chiefs playoff game and not 2 weeks before the season. That would've gave Ballard a chance to draft a QB coming into this season or even get one in Free Agency. The team as a whole would've also known back in March that JB was the man with a rookie coming in. 

Completely agree. If you cant handle it that's fine. In the end I'm glad we are moving on. I dont want someone who cant understand their own feelings leading this team. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 3:49 PM, Rally5 said:

I'm thinking about pulling together a go fund me to take out a full page want ad in the Indianapolis Star (in the off-season) asking Andrew to unretire and give us 5 more years...bad idea?  Who's with me? Could be fun, make up for some boo's!!!

May be best to leave the caveman alone, I hear they’re dangerous when disturbed

6 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

The timing could be helped. He decided it couldn't. No one else. If he does indeed come back next hear, I would send his * to a QB needy team for 2 first round picks and never look back. 

You and I have zero knowledge of what he was telling Irsay and Ballard behind the scenes.  He could have been telling them both daily for a year he was done, and they talked him into waiting.  I’m guessing he put it off until he realized that if he waited another week, he’d have to play hurt the entire season, and just wasn’t going to do that and quit during the season...

On 12/6/2019 at 6:32 PM, indyagent17 said:

Some guy called in to The Pat McAfee show said Luck will become the Las Vegas Raiders QB. 

Luck isn’t a free agent.

He’s the property of some team that plays in Indiana.

If Luck plays for the Raiders someday it’s only because they’ve agreed to a trade with the Colts. 

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Luck isn’t a free agent.

He’s the property of some team that plays in Indiana.

If Luck plays for the Raiders someday it’s only because they’ve agreed to a trade with the Colts. 

I know this they have to give us a lot of picks to be able to do that I was pointing out how interesting this guy's prediction was

25 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I know this they have to give us a lot of picks to be able to do that I was pointing out how interesting this guy's prediction was

That’s great that you know this.   Do you think the guy with the prediction knows this?   Makes me wonder....

On 12/7/2019 at 9:03 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

Why would you want a guy who quit on the team to come back, just to quit on the team again?

I wish no ill will on Luck and I hope in future years he can look back on his decision and feel it was the right decision.  But I also don't want him back on my favorite team.

Because being bad sucks.

On 12/6/2019 at 4:49 PM, Rally5 said:

I'm thinking about pulling together a go fund me to take out a full page want ad in the Indianapolis Star (in the off-season) asking Andrew to unretire and give us 5 more years...bad idea?  Who's with me? Could be fun, make up for some boo's!!!

This is pure foolishness.... leave the man alone. If he wanted to play he would be playing. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 7:41 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Good point and a good question.  I don't know if I have a real answer for it.

On 12/6/2019 at 7:41 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Of course you don't consider him a quitter, you're a Luck fan and only became a Colt fan when they drafted Luck (if I remember your history correctly).  I'm not saying that is a bad thing, just that you may be a bit biased. :)

• Like 2

On 12/6/2019 at 8:28 PM, Four2itus said:

It's easy math for some fans...

End your career after your skills have eroded = Retirement

End your career before your skills have eroded = Quitter

Funny thing is, if Luck had stayed on and his skills did erode and he started being a turnover machine, they would be screaming for him to retire. Funny world this is. 

Well, no I wouldn't.

Two, luck didn't retire because of injury or because his skills eroded he retired because he was tired of having to work to overcome injury.

@NewColtsFan perhaps that is the difference in my mind.  If it was a issue where as long as he played football the injury would always be there that is one thing.  But that was not the case, he said he was just tired of going through the process of recovering from injury.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:31 PM, HectorRoberts said:

Boo freakin Hoo! I swear all you do on here is whine! You sound like that drunk at the bar that sits there and complains about his ex-wife all night! Seriously, MOVE ON!!200.gif

You sound like that kid that has to ride the short bus to school.

But really, show me where all I do on here is whine?  As far as moving on, I responded to a thread about Luck.  It's not like some where I try to post the same narrative in every thread whether it's related to Luck or not.

On 12/6/2019 at 8:41 PM, NewColtsFan said:

hes not injured to the point that he cant play anymore, doctors expected him to recover to 100%.   im leaning towards quit on team, he also wanted them to take him #1 in the draft a few years back.  

it would different to me if he wasnt a #1 pick, expectations are going to be high when you ask to be taken there

On 12/7/2019 at 3:51 AM, Rally5 said:

Ok man, gotcha., solid points. he's a total loser.

Nope, not a loser at all.  Good guy who did what he thought was best for him.

Just what was best for him meant he quit on his team.

You know what's funny, when Tarik Glenn retired right before training camp, so many Colts fans called him a quitter.  So many people still hold a grudge against Corey Simon.

But with Luck, it's different.

Also, I agree with @Superman if it was an issue that Luck thought he needed to get his head back into it, he would have asked the Colts to put him on IR.  But by retiring I think he wanted to show that it was a permanent decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You know what's funny, when Tarik Glenn retired right before training camp, so many Colts fans called him a quitter.  So many people still hold a grudge against Corey Simon.

Also, I agree with @Superman if it was an issue that Luck thought he needed to get his head back into it, he would have asked the Colts to put him on IR.  But by retiring I think he wanted to show that it was a permanent decision.

Maybe he did ask for IR and Ballard declined. We don’t know what happened in that room. All we know is they appeared unified at the press conference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well said. I agree with everything except the 4th paragraph. For me, he's in the same boat with Glenn and Simon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

Maybe he did ask for IR and Ballard declined. We don’t know what happened in that room. All we know is they appeared unified at the press conference.

too true,  But since Irsay and the Colts agreed to a huge settlement, I don't think they would have been opposed to an IR/let him get think about his future if that was a preference of Luck.

To me the fact of the matter is the colts when 63 and 49 from the time they drafted luck until the time he retired.  Blame this or blame that but the Colts were paying him and that is what they got. I am guessing many teams with lesser quarterbacks had better runs from 2012-2018.  It's not apples to apples but I used to feel the same way about Bob Sanders.  Bob was great when he was playing at full speed but I also consider the amount of time he was not at full speed......