Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

'Want ad' in the Star?

Rally5

I'm thinking about pulling together a go fund me to take out a full page want ad in the Indianapolis Star (in the off-season) asking Andrew to unretire and give us 5 more years...bad idea?  Who's with me? Could be fun, make up for some boo's!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

I'm thinking about pulling together a go fund me to take out a full page want ad in the Indianapolis Star (in the off-season) asking Andrew to unretire and give us 5 more years...bad idea?  Who's with me? Could be fun, make up for some boo's!!!

Why would you want a guy who quit on the team to come back, just to quit on the team again?

I wish no ill will on Luck and I hope in future years he can look back on his decision and feel it was the right decision.  But I also don't want him back on my favorite team.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Why would you want a guy who quit on the team to come back, just to quit on the team again?

I wish no ill will on Luck and I hope in future years he can look back on his decision and feel it was the right decision.  But I also don't want him back on my favorite team.

Because:

1. He's an amazing guy with some issues to work out, I can forgive that...

2. He's a 30 YO Hall of Fame talent.

3. He can bring us a Super Bowl.

Seems like three really good reasons off the top of my head or we can hope for the best the next 20 years because lightning won't strike the same place three times in a row.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Because:

1. He's an amazing guy with some issues to work out, I can forgive that...

And his issues made him quit on his team

2. He's a 30 YO Hall of Fame talent.

He's 30 years old hall of Fame talent who quit on his team

3. He can bring us a Super Bowl.

No he cannot, because he quit on the team.

Seems like three really good reasons off the top of my head or we can hope for the best the next 20 years because lightning won't strike the same place three times in a row.

Quite frankly, lightning didn't strike twice.  The 2nd lightning quit on his team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

If Luck don't have the desire to play, then better off without him.

Uncommitted Andrew Luck is better than all but a few NFL quarterbacks...

I don't think the ad would do anything, but it'd be an awesome gesture, especially after how he last left Lucas Oil Stadium

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rally5 said:

Andrew is a top 5 QB in the league right now. He has to want to do it though = comeback. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Where’s the line between quitting on a team and taking care of your own health? 

I’m as disappointed as anyone that Luck retired.   But I never once thought if him as a guy who quit on his team.  I think of him as a man who was suffering and couldn’t put up with the NFL-life anymore.   The timing couldn’t be helped.   Sucks for us.   But I don’t see Luck as a quitter. 

It's easy math for some fans...

End your career after your skills have eroded = Retirement

End your career before your skills have eroded = Quitter

Funny thing is, if Luck had stayed on and his skills did erode and he started being a turnover machine, they would be screaming for him to retire. Funny world this is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Neither do I.... I could be wrong but I think it could make for some less than ideal team chemistry.

If he were to decide to come back in 2020 I would prefer we trade his rights... at least salvage back a couple draft picks out of it? :dunno:

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Quite frankly, lightning didn't strike twice.  The 2nd lightning quit on his team.

Boo freakin Hoo! I swear all you do on here is whine! You sound like that drunk at the bar that sits there and complains about his ex-wife all night! Seriously, MOVE ON!!200.gif

• Thanks 2

I am convinced Luck will never play again. I'm disappointed, but I've made my peace with that.

I assume he retired for good reason, and while he technically "quit," I think it's harsh to call him a quitter, as if he's less of a person. 

I also don't think I'd ever be able to trust him or commit to him again, if it were up to me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I am convinced Luck will never play again. I'm disappointed, but I've made my peace with that.

I assume he retired for good reason, and while he technically "quit," I think it's harsh to call him a quitter, as if he's less of a person. 

I also don't think I'd ever be able to trust him or commit to him again, if it were up to me. 

Same here.... he retired for valid enough reasons IMO.... but if he has 2nd thoughts and wants to play again I prefer we trade his rights.

How long do we reserve his rights by the way?

There is a Colts.com article on Tom Rathman.  They focus on his many injuries and surgeries and how they affect him today and yet he doesn’t want to quit football as a part of his life.  Apparently Lucks issues messed with his mind and not just his body. I’ve always thought there is a certain mentality you need to be an NFL lifer ala Ronnie Lott cutting off part of his his finger. 

11 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Ok man, gotcha., solid points. he's a total loser.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I get that and that's 100% fair. Never in the history of football as I know it has a 30 year old hall of fame talent QB walked away or have been available, although we still have his rights.  I think if he announced the time away healed his mind and he wanted to play again this board would be mostly ecstatic. 

I too have made peace with him leaving but that doesn't mean we can't try to persuade him back, I see that as two different things.  Perhaps an injured mind should be viewed the same way as an injured body.  My gut is the guy is too much of a competitor and too much of a team guy to find peace snowboarding in the Sierra Nevada's when he could be a QB of an NFL team.  Part of his equation I believe may have also been this team would be better or as good without him, that's clearly not the case.  The simple question is, is Andrew Luck worth the effort, I say he is and I'd be willing to do put forth the effort. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

There is a Colts.com article on Tom Rathman.  They focus on his many injuries and surgeries and how they affect him today and yet he doesn’t want to quit football as a part of his life.  Apparently Lucks issues messed with his mind and not just his body. I’ve always thought there is a certain mentality you need to be an NFL lifer ala Ronnie Lott cutting off part of his his finger. 

To my knowledge Lott is the only player in the history of the game to cut off part of his body so he could play but I get your point.  I actually agree with you for the most part. So are you saying if Andrew said I want to play again, you'd say 'cool but go somewhere else and do it we'd rather keep Jacoby or draft a rookie  and get some picks?'  

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JB is used to it by now. If he reads this forum, he probably thinks people think he stinks anyway. Sad because JB is above average, he just isn't Luck.

So far he hasn't proven to be above average.

1 hour ago, Rally5 said:

To my knowledge Lott is the only player in the history of the game to cut off part of his body so he could play but I get your point.  I actually agree with you for the most part. So are you saying if Andrew said I want to play again, you'd say 'cool but go somewhere else and do it we'd rather keep Jacoby or draft a rookie  and get some picks?'  

If Luck said he wants to come back, I would try to trade Jacoby and look for a QB in round 1 or 2. 

3 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Same here.... he retired for valid enough reasons IMO.... but if he has 2nd thoughts and wants to play again I prefer we trade his rights.

How long do we reserve his rights by the way?

We hold his rights FOREVER

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is a question for you and the forum, what do you guys think we can get for JB if we traded him? A 1st, A 2nd, or what? I am not sure right now.

Honesty, a 3rd would be his ceiling right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I shouldn’t let it affect me, but I’m still extremely sad he retired... I can’t help it, I really enjoyed watching him play. 

I hope he’s enjoying the father life though, being a dad is awesome!

When your passion is sports, it will affect you. It does me. Anytime the Colts, Cubs, or Pacers lose it affects me. When I was much younger it used to ruin my whole week when the Colts would lose. It still bothers me when they lose but it isn't as bad now.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is a question for you and the forum, what do you guys think we can get for JB if we traded him? A 1st, A 2nd, or what? I am not sure right now.

I would think a 4th is the ballpark. Maybe a 3rd if there is a desperate team that is looking for a stop gap.

• Like 1