Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hypothetically, Andrew Luck comes back next year, could you even get a 2nd rnder for him?

GusFring

He basically quit on the team. Its no doubt he could've been a great one, but he left the best team he's ever had. He abandoned them. But teams like Chicago, Oak, Wash, Cincy, Tampa, and probably some other team I can't think of will want him. But not for a 1. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GusFring said:

He basically quit on the team. Its no doubt he could've been a great one, but he left the best team he's ever had. He abandoned them. But teams like Chicago, Oak, Wash, Cincy, Tampa, and probably some other team I can't think of will want him. But not for a 1. 

He isn't coming back.   The end

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

He gone.  I think at this point if he wanted to come back we'd say "that's nice," and let him go to a team of his choice.  Especially if Brissett has a good 2nd half this year

No chance.   Ballard would ask a kings ransom or trade Jacoby

• Like 4

While its always possible he pulls a Witten and uses retirement as year off healing it be quite a mess. Other teams would just let the situation keep festering in order for the price to drop.

But its so highly unlikely that its a double tinfoil hat theory anyways.

12 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I doubt Luck is coming back, and if he did, I don’t think he’d fetch a 1st. 

IMO, teams would be throwing 1st round picks at us. A year off isn't a deterrent...and let's be real......no one is more shallow than an NFL GM. It's worth the risk. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GusFring said:

He didn't abandon anything.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, GusFring said:

He would be worth more than a 2nd 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If Andrew decided to come back,    Jacoby would be traded

There is no way. I just can't see that. This is why I made this thread, I've seen enough that Jacoby can be better than Dak. And then its a Dak/Romo situation. Romo was better than Dak, but you just couldn't overlook the results. Barring injury, this team should go at least 11-5. A bye is even a possibility. You can't trade Jacoby. 

20 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Troll thread......

tenor.gif?itemid=12967245

answering question as if serious....

source.gif

Thanks for contributing

• Like 1

I actually find the idea fascinating to be honest.

I remember when Luck retired and articles came out saying that Luck and the Colts front office came to a "compromise" or "settlement" (two words I often saw used and found weird. I found it weird since the "compromise" or "settlement" was basically the Colts letting him keep everything and not demanding money back. The real compromise/settlement as far as I read was that the Colts reserved his rights if he came back and that was the agreement.

So it sets it up that if he ever did decide to return, the Colts either take him back or sell to the highest bidder.

My opinion (as many others) is that he is never coming back. But playing along with your hypothetical scenario, he would fetch way more than a 2nd rounder in my opinion.

The longer he is away from the game, the less he will fetch coming back. But if he came back next year and had only missed one game and was still only 31 years old next year with all of his talent, there is zero doubt in my mind that he commands at least a 1st rounder and maybe even multiple picks. 

I'll be honest, it is a good problem to have but one I hope we don't ever have to decide on or deal with. I hope for his sake that he made what is a good decision for him and his family and he stays retired. And if he does not, it would put some interesting pressure on our front office to see what they would do.

Still a fun topic to think of and hypothetically run through scenarios with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

He isn't coming back.   The end

I thought this until I saw that pic of him. He's still in a weight room somewhere. I think he didn't want to be a depressed weirdo around his pregnant wife. As a competitor, he can't be content with his career ending like that.  Will be interesting.

• Like 1

So here's the deal.

Let's say I'm another franchise looking to acquire a franchise QB.

I see Andrew Luck looking to come out of retirement, but he's bound by a contract to the Colts, who seem happy with the current guy.

So I put a call into Ballard who requests a ransom for Luck.

I then politely hang up the phone and cross Luck off my list of potential solutions.

We're talking about a guy who already evaporated on his team once and is now at large.  I pay no ransom for that.  It's a huge red flag to any team looking to acquire the guy. 

One of the biggest things you need out of a starting QB is to know that if healthy they will start 16 games a year.  NOBODY knows that about Luck going forward.

Ordinary aches and pains are normal everyday thing for every NFL player.  If I'm seeing a guy walk away from the game because he hurts too much even if I then see him healthy and happy and saying he wants to play -- well, anything that's happened once can happen again.  With potential franchise changing decision on the line, it's a risk I just can' take.

I mean if the guy was a UFA sure, I'd invite him to camp.  Give us a chance to see him in action and get the measure of him before we commit to the guy.  But I'm not trading assets for a guy who could vanish into a puff of smoke before the season even starts.  No way no how.  I'd be foolish to make a decision like that

Honestly I think that if he did come back into the league, the Colts would disentangle him from his current contract obligations so he could go find a job.  Because if they don't, he's probably stuck on the outside looking in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomDiggs said:

I actually find the idea fascinating to be honest.

I remember when Luck retired and articles came out saying that Luck and the Colts front office came to a "compromise" or "settlement" (two words I often saw used and found weird. I found it weird since the "compromise" or "settlement" was basically the Colts letting him keep everything and not demanding money back. The real compromise/settlement as far as I read was that the Colts reserved his rights if he came back and that was the agreement.

So it sets it up that if he ever did decide to return, the Colts either take him back or sell to the highest bidder.

My opinion (as many others) is that he is never coming back. But playing along with your hypothetical scenario, he would fetch way more than a 2nd rounder in my opinion.

The longer he is away from the game, the less he will fetch coming back. But if he came back next year and had only missed one game and was still only 31 years old next year with all of his talent, there is zero doubt in my mind that he commands at least a 1st rounder and maybe even multiple picks. 

I'll be honest, it is a good problem to have but one I hope we don't ever have to decide on or deal with. I hope for his sake that he made what is a good decision for him and his family and he stays retired. And if he does not, it would put some interesting pressure on our front office to see what they would do.

Still a fun topic to think of and hypothetically run through scenarios with.

Agree and I would say it would be more like a 1st and 2nd.

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

He really didn’t look good at all in his last Pro Bowl appearance...let alone the playoff game against the Chiefs.  

I'm a big Luck fan but I gotta say you are correct in that observation. I kind of forgot about that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

He really didn’t look good at all in his last Pro Bowl appearance...let alone the playoff game against the Chiefs.  

So?

The Pro Bowl is meaningless.  Always has been.    And we lost to a better team in KC in the playoffs.

Neither will impact his value should Luck decide to come out of retirement. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So?

The Pro Bowl is meaningless.  Always has been.    And we lost to a better team in KC in the playoffs.

Neither will impact his value should Luck decide to come out of retirement. 

I think Luck may come out of retirement but that is a guess. He is better than JB but JB is good. So if Luck comes back we will have a lot of leverage regarding trades for picks, etc.. 

• Like 1