Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hypothetically, Andrew Luck comes back next year, could you even get a 2nd rnder for him?

GusFring

25 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Brissett is currently our cool hand Luke. He doesn't seem to let any moment get to him. I dont want Andrew back. He got puppy dog eyes vs KC in the playoffs. No killer instinct at all. And that's why he retired. 

Seriously.... I agree that we need to move on.... and to the OP’s question I believe we could easily get a 2nd rounder, (conditional 1st), preferably from a lousy NFC team.

Luck’s not coming back. He doesn’t need football in his life to make him happy, at least not now. Hypothetically though, if Luck came back next year after only a year away, with him still under contract, why would we trade him? A rusty Luck is still one of the better QBs in the league. Tampa and all of them can keep their draft picks, if Luck unretired while he’s still under our contract I want him here.

If Luck decided to come back he's be the starter here.  Brissett would likely be traded.  And I'm thinking we could get a 2nd for him.  

But yes he'd still fetch a 1st at least if not more.  Other players have suddenly retired in their prime too.  Carson Palmer did and had far less talent.  

If you are a GM and you don't have a franchise QB on your team you have got to roll the dice somewhere.  And a 31 year old vet pro-bowl QB who at one point retired because he was tired of injuries and then unretired for a single first round pick is probably a solid bet.  

I agree with those that said Brissett would be traded.  

However, if the Colts could get two 1st round picks for him (which they would easily), it would be hard to not go that route.   My guess is that they could get two 1's and a 3rd for him.   Those picks in addition to our own picks would really improve this already solid team.  

11 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

So here's the deal.

Let's say I'm another franchise looking to acquire a franchise QB.

I see Andrew Luck looking to come out of retirement, but he's bound by a contract to the Colts, who seem happy with the current guy.

So I put a call into Ballard who requests a ransom for Luck.

I then politely hang up the phone and cross Luck off my list of potential solutions.

We're talking about a guy who already evaporated on his team once and is now at large.  I pay no ransom for that.  It's a huge red flag to any team looking to acquire the guy. 

One of the biggest things you need out of a starting QB is to know that if healthy they will start 16 games a year.  NOBODY knows that about Luck going forward.

Ordinary aches and pains are normal everyday thing for every NFL player.  If I'm seeing a guy walk away from the game because he hurts too much even if I then see him healthy and happy and saying he wants to play -- well, anything that's happened once can happen again.  With potential franchise changing decision on the line, it's a risk I just can' take.

I mean if the guy was a UFA sure, I'd invite him to camp.  Give us a chance to see him in action and get the measure of him before we commit to the guy.  But I'm not trading assets for a guy who could vanish into a puff of smoke before the season even starts.  No way no how.  I'd be foolish to make a decision like that

Honestly I think that if he did come back into the league, the Colts would disentangle him from his current contract obligations so he could go find a job.  Because if they don't, he's probably stuck on the outside looking in.

Well great then. We get another generational franchise QB back. We're not forced to trade Luck at all if he comes back. It doesn't matter if his trade value is very low at that point, which I don't think it would be. You shouldn't sell low unless you're forced to, and I see no reason why we would be forced to trade him

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Luck came back we would be loaded at QB.

Since he didn't give any of the money back couldn't he just come in as our backup? He could come back hang with the guys, take some snaps in practice, attend the QB meetings, but not have to worry much about getting hurt again. We've already paid him for 4-5 years. He'd be working for free as far as salary cap is concerned. We could then use our backup money on someone else. A win/win and as you say we would be set at QB

1 hour ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

IRSAY will not trade Luck. He is the owner and he would never approve of it. Also, as good as Jacoby has been he is no Luck plain and simple.

He's  better as as far as td to int ratio  goes. I'D TRADE Luck in a heart beat.

I think Irsay stays with Luck if that happens. The whole situation with PM and drafting Luck to be the player to replace the franchise would be to difficult to let AL go. After all, AL has proven himself more than one season.  JB, that I am truly pulling for, if he has one good to great year probably won't outweigh that. In all reality, it shouldn't.  The biggest issue is whether you can trust AL.

Since we're talking hypotheticals, I can't believe anyone would think we couldn't get a first for him. He, going into the year, easily would have been described as an elite level quarterback, probably in many lists for really early mvp predictions. To think, regardless of the manner in which he left he'd get anything less than a first rounder seems silly to me. If Ramsey can get a team what he got, a top level QB could get you that and more.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So?

The Pro Bowl is meaningless.  Always has been.    And we lost to a better team in KC in the playoffs.

Neither will impact his value should Luck decide to come out of retirement. 

I’m not sure KC was the better team.  The Jacoby Colts seemed to find a way facing greater odds in my opinion.  Luck just played bad as did the rest of the team.  Some credit to KC for taking them out of their game.  But Luck really faded in that last playoff game and then didn’t look right throwing in his pro bowl appearance. I didn’t say anything then because like you I was thinking well it’s just the pro bowl.  Little did anyone know then that he would suddenly retire before taking another snap in the NFL.  Something wasnt right physically or perhaps mentally with the man.  Point is Luck wasn’t looking good at all in the last two games that we saw him play.  Sure the Pro Bowl isn’t usually a big deal.  But when you are throwing short wobbly passes that are getting picked off in that game I think it warrants some level of concern.  Particularly following his lackluster performance in Kansas City.  Yet I agree with you that if Luck comes back some team will jump at the chance to trade for him...I hope Ballard capitalizes on the opportunity if presented.  

• Like 1

An interesting team to watch as a potential trade partner for Luck should he decide to come out of retirement would be Tampa Bay.  Send him to reunite with Bruce Arians in the NFC...far away from us.  I’d expect Ballard would want a nice ransom of draft picks and perhaps some young defensive talent in return.  

Andrew couldn't take the rough sport any longer. I don't understand those who want him back when he could at any moment get too stressed out again. If JB is a top 5 QB this year, and Andrew comes back next year I hope we trade Andrew and keep building this so far awesome team. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Andrew couldn't take the rough sport any longer. I don't understand those who want him back when he could at any moment get too stressed out again. If JB is a top 5 QB this year, and Andrew comes back next year I hope we trade Andrew and keep building this so far awesome team. 

Exactly...I’d always be wondering when or if Andrew would flip the script again.  Kinda like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown just when he thinks he is about to kick it.  I don’t think Chris Ballard wants to live like that.  Give me the more mentally stable Jacoby. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Exactly...I’d always be wondering when or if Andrew would flip the script again.  Kinda like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown just when he thinks he is about to kick it.  I don’t think Chris Ballard wants to live like that. 

My biggest worry would be irsay. Jacoby has the biggest say in easing irsays mind by his play. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we are just doing hypothetical's, we could get a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick for him easily from a team that needs a QB badly IMO in the same draft. It is still freakin Andrew Luck.

Trade Andrew for 2 first and a 2nd and you're going to see a series of years with the colts being dominant on both sides of the ball. Andrew Luck isnt someone you can trust to take an NFL beating, and stay the course. Hes proven that. 

6 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

My biggest worry would be irsay. Jacoby has the biggest say in easing irsays mind by his play. 

Yeah...I think Ballard would think rationally and Irsay more emotionally.  This would be a test of whether Irsay truly has learned his lesson and can trust the experts he hired to make the roster decisions...even if it means jettisoning Andrew.  I agree that Irsay will have a big struggle doing that but Ballard is the real face of the franchise (as is being shown this season) and I think Irsay will go with his counsel.  Of course assuming Jacoby’s play this season continues to justify that choice. 

Oh this is one of those hypothetical threads I guess that if it were me I’d ..........

(wakes up), sorry I was off in hypothetical land thinking about the billions of dollars I have and which house to vacation at next week. What were we talking about here again???

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Irsay wouldn't

Irsay is a fool. Supposed  he came back played two seasons  and retired again. With Brissett  traded we'd be in trouble  then. Also Brissett  is younger  so we should  get more years out of him than we would from Luck.

27 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Irsay is a fool. Supposed  he came back played two seasons  and retired again. With Brissett  traded we'd be in trouble  then. Also Brissett  is younger  so we should  get more years out of him than we would from Luck.

You play your best players.   Luck is better than Jacoby.     Im a huge Jacoby supporter,   but you play luck if he comes back.   No question

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yeah...I think Ballard would think rationally and Irsay more emotionally.  This would be a test of whether Irsay truly has learned his lesson and can trust the experts he hired to make the roster decisions...even if it means jettisoning Andrew.  I agree that Irsay will have a big struggle doing that but Ballard is the real face of the franchise (as is being shown this season) and I think Irsay will go with his counsel.  Of course assuming Jacoby’s play this season continues to justify that choice. 

If luck unretires, which he isn't gonna do.    He would be the QB of the colts.   Zero percent Jacoby would be the starter