Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

An interesting debate - Face of the Colts

BProland85

25 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Why does one have to do commercials to be a face of a franchise. Every single person in Lucas Oil any given Sunday know who T.Y. Hilton is, and most across the country that play fantasy football know him well... 

Had is a big emphasis on that... as Frank Reich said he will be a priority in the red zone, and considering he had 2 redzone touchdowns in week 1... 

Because The Face is a marketing term and that’s what we were talking about I thought.

1 last post in this thread, then I promise to shut up & let someone else talk....

@LockeDown & @2006Coltsbestever, 

I have a tremendous amount of respect & admiration for both of you gentlemen as regulars on the forum, please don't take my Chris Ballard difference of opinion on Chris Ballard as harsh criticism because that's not how I intended it. I get why both of you think that because our GM is as cool as a cucumber no matter what happens & he always has a calming demeanor or plan for moving forward. Makes perfect sense given everything we've gone thru since he was first hired in INDY. 

I just can't give a face of the franchise to a front office guy even if that dude is a bleeping stud. 

Please feel free to disagree with me openly too whenever I say something you can't subscribe too either. I can take it. LOL! It won't affect my admiration for you guys either. 

Finally SW1 went silent. There was much rejoicing. haha

• Like 2

10 hours ago, southwest1 said:

1 last post in this thread, then I promise to shut up & let someone else talk....

@LockeDown & @2006Coltsbestever, 

I have a tremendous amount of respect & admiration for both of you gentlemen as regulars on the forum, please don't take my Chris Ballard difference of opinion on Chris Ballard as harsh criticism because that's not how I intended it. I get why both of you think that because our GM is as cool as a cucumber no matter what happens & he always has a calming demeanor or plan for moving forward. Makes perfect sense given everything we've gone thru since he was first hired in INDY. 

I just can't give a face of the franchise to a front office guy even if that dude is a bleeping stud. 

Please feel free to disagree with me openly too whenever I say something you can't subscribe too either. I can take it. LOL! It won't affect my admiration for you guys either. 

Finally SW1 went silent. There was much rejoicing. haha

I agree.  John freakin' elway is the gm in denver and no one would think he is the face of that franchise.

Love the ballard but he is not the face here.

It's a tough question.   

Ballard isn't a horrible choice, but having the GM as the face seems like we are missing talent.

Brissett hasn't proved himself yet.

I think Leonard has a good shot of becoming the face of the Colts.  

Hilton is an OK choice, but he's not really known as one of the best WR's in the league.   Most people wouldn't know him if they seen him.   

Nelson may be my choice.   He is the anchor.  He has a great attitude.  He provides plenty of good video of crushing blocks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

With casual fans you're probably right. But for fans that follow a little more closely, like on the NFL subreddit, Ballard is very well known/respected by fans throughout.

But as for the thread question, in terms of face of the team to casual/hardcore fans alike, who knows. It's probably different for each fan. Hilton (although I feel like he's always been under the radar to the masses), Big Q, and Leonard are the obvious ones.

Very well put. I think Hilton is under the radar because you have the bigger WR’s like J. Jones or Hopkins, A. Brown (prior to becoming a nut job), OBJ, T.Hill and a few others just outside of them guys. TY doesn’t either promote himself like these other louder guys do, even though his stats are equal to if not better than them. 

Imho, when we are talking about franchise faces, we are typically talking  about the QB. Our QB (at this moment) isn’t JB because he hasn’t achieved anything yet nor has he shown anything that’s special towards a fan base away from a colts fan base, and even that is hit and miss. 

If I am plucking out a player for the face of the franchise, it’s someone with passion, spark and a known entity in the league, to a degree. They’ve also accomplished something. Big Q or Leonard are my two candidates. All-pros, identities around the league, clean character guys, young and active. If they repeat what they did last year, each of these will be a candidate and I’d probably yield to Leonard. My reasoning for that is, much like the Baltimore when they had killer Ray as their face, they were known as a defensive top level team, I’d love for us to get that rep here and Leonard playing at this level and the other pieces currently installed around him, could help make that happen.

Big Q is an awesome talent as well but he is an olineman and lineman are generally quiet to the media and less outspoken. Of course if the line just becomes and maintains their dominance, he will be the leader of that pack and it could turn into that spotlight space. 

I just see TY and JB and even Mack to an extent, as second layer players in terms of the face of a franchise. Maybe we all look at the spot differently but that’s my opinion on things. 

One last opinion, if Chris Ballard is considered as the face of the franchise, then CB has failed in his build of this franchise. Never should your GM or owner or coach be the face of a franchise and I’d bet that CB would say the same thing. He may be the GM of the year, known and respected around the league but he should never be the focus of your franchise. My two cents anyways 

Out of curiosity, I asked twelve non-Colts fans that I know to name the first person (or name) that comes to your head when you think of the Colts.

Results:

4 people - Jacoby Brissett

2 people - Jim Irsay

2 people - Marlon Mack

2 people - TY Hilton

1 person - Eric Ebron

1 person - Darius Leonard

13 minutes ago, MTC said:

Out of curiosity, I asked twelve non-Colts fans that I know to name the first person (or name) that comes to your head when you think of the Colts.

Results:

2 people - Jim Irsay

2 people - Marlon Mack

2 people - TY Hilton

1 person - Eric Ebron

Those of you who have watched Game of Thrones will get this .....

game-thrones-season-8-faceless-men.jpg?w

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Myles said:

It's a tough question.   

Ballard isn't a horrible choice, but having the GM as the face seems like we are missing talent.

Brissett hasn't proved himself yet.

I think Leonard has a good shot of becoming the face of the Colts.  

Hilton is an OK choice, but he's not really known as one of the best WR's in the league.   Most people wouldn't know him if they seen him.   

Nelson may be my choice.   He is the anchor.  He has a great attitude.  He provides plenty of good video of crushing blocks.

He may not be the face of the team according to some but I guarantee you all his opponents will remember his face after playing against him!!!

032813fc-7466-4b9c-b344-3b8194d02b4c-091

• Like 1

This forum's obsession with Chris Ballard has pretty much made him the face of the team.  At least here.

I don't know if the public places so much love or hate towards GMs.

I don't think Luck ever relished that role, if that's who the public thought was the face of the Colts.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

This forum's obsession with Chris Ballard has pretty much made him the face of the team.  At least here.

I don't know if the public places so much love or hate towards GMs.

I don't think Luck ever relished that role, if that's who the public thought was the face of the Colts.

Not many casual fans are familiar with other teams’ GM. 

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I meant that other teams fans don't view their own team's GM has being the face of their franchise like so many here do about our GM.  

I think Polian was more known by other fans when he was gm than Ballard currently is.  I know that’s true here in patriots land but manning was obviously still the face of the franchise then. 

19 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think Polian was more known by other fans when he was gm than Ballard currently is.  I know that’s true here in patriots land but manning was obviously still the face of the franchise then. 

But back then, fans in Indy would also call PM the face of the franchise, not Polian, even though he was well known. 

Today, I think Indy fans would call Ballard the face of their franchise.

I don't think it was ever Luck, since he didn't seem to want to embrace that responsibility.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Von Miller is the face of the Broncos.   Not Joe Flacco

I'd argue it's still Elway. QB always is the face, even years after they retire.

If it's not the obvious QB, then it's multiple others: Flacco, Sanders, Chubb, Jackson, Harris, Miller...take your pick.

On 9/13/2019 at 12:10 PM, MTC said:

Results:

2 people - Jim Irsay

2 people - Marlon Mack

2 people - TY Hilton

1 person - Eric Ebron

The QB usually gets mentioned first by most people. I have noticed the media mentions Chris Ballard a lot though. I still say Ballard is the face of the franchise now. He is the one that does most of the speaking and is building the team. Without Luck here, Ballard is brought up quite a bit.

For the general Colts fan, it's TY. When JB establishes himself, it will shift to him.

For Colts fans that are also ND fans, and for old fuddy duddies, it's Q.

For all the kids that got picked last on the play ground, it's AV.

For the people who prioritize long term stability and hate drama or ups and downs, it's the Maniac.

For me now it's Q and TY. If RBs didn't have such a short shelf like, it would be Mack. I also love Hookers.