Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts future

CanuckColt

It looks like the Colts have a good team this year but where do we go from here.

We probably have a team that finishes 9-7 to 7-9 somewhere in the middle of the pack...year after year.

The problem is we are never going to get a top draft pick for a franchise QB without trading away a ton.  Jacoby seems OK but he is not special...like Andrew.

How the heck do we ever break out of 10-6 to 7-9?

10 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

It looks like the Colts have a good team this year but where do we go from here.

We probably have a team that finishes 9-7 to 7-9 somewhere in the middle of the pack...year after year.

The problem is we are never going to get a top draft pick for a franchise QB without trading away a ton.  Jacoby seems OK but he is not special...like Andrew.

Too early to say that. They played  conservative  yesterday. Brissett could have had a bigger  game if they took deep shots to Campbell  or cain

Brissett: 21-27 with 2 touchdowns. Looked great. Never got overwhelmed. He played within the game and looked legit. 

Mack 25 for 174 with a touchdown 

defense looked good. 

Went on on the road, first game since luck retired, went to overtime and lost by 6 to a team many say is a top team in the AFC. Let’s not forget that AV left 6 points on the board. 

I think we we will be fine. 

Prediction: We go 10-6 and make the playoffs. 

Brissett gets it some and become are next franchise quarterback 

• Like 7

Well imo even if we need to make a big trade for a QB, we have the type of team that can afford to do just that.

We are incredibly young and have pretty good depth throughout the roster. We also have a boat load of cap space, and a lot of draft picks. Seems like it would be much easier for us to make that kind of move than most people. 

Which makes Ballards decision to back off from throwing a lot of cap space at Landon Collins and CJ Mosley even more brilliant. If we trade a ton of picks for a QB we will have to fill more needs in free agency. And we have the space to do it.

• Like 1

Count me in the camp that says you don't have to have a top-5 QB. 

One thing that occurred to me yesterday was how we missed Luck throwing that one stupid interception "trying to do too much".  I'll be tickled to death if Brissette plays the remainder of the season as solidly as he did yesterday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

These constant "Mediocre", "Average", "Game Manager" (backhanded) insults are increasingly irritating. I've yet to see one valid metric produced by anyone that validates a word of it. 

Normally you compete, then you're judged. Not the other way around.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Andrew was a once in a generation talent, so far none of the projected QBs in this years draft measure up for that. 

And you you never know how things will turn out. Let it ride and see what happens

• Like 2

The game plan probably would of been the same with luck. You had two very good pass rushers and running like we did is how you eliminate the pass rush. As the season goes on the playbook will expand as JB gets more starts. He looks like he can be the franchise QB so far. Luck won several games last year with the same kind of stats. I was worried about the clutch factor but JB did just that. The offense couldn’t of went any better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Douzer said:

These constant "Mediocre", "Average", "Game Manager" (backhanded) insults are increasingly irritating. I've yet to see one valid metric produced by anyone that validates a word of it. 

A game manager doesn’t march you down field to tie the game. He had us in position to get points on almost every single drive.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Turftoe said:

Count me in the camp that says you don't have to have a top-5 QB. 

One thing that occurred to me yesterday was how we missed Luck throwing that one stupid interception "trying to do too much".  I'll be tickled to death if Brissette plays the remainder of the season as solidly as he did yesterday.

All you need is a good defense and run game  and your QB to make plays in critical situations. He did that.

2 minutes ago, Douzer said:

This fanbase definitely doesn't understand what almost every NFL deals with. That's where we're at now.

Just watch, enjoy and hope Jacoby is competent. We had 1 Goat and 1 potential HOF at the pace he was going and we won 1 SB. 

• Like 1

Just now, MPStack said:

Why worry about draft position when the Colts have a GM, who has shown a history of drafting well over three drafts. Flush with cap space and a young roster, the future is promising. Patients! 

I love the 'worrying about draft position' in week one.. Lol.

So if we're not SB bound the idea seems to be to tank... That's some cruddy thinking.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

This fanbase definitely doesn't understand what almost every NFL deals with. That's where we're at now.

Just watch, enjoy and hope Jacoby is competent. We had 1 Goat and 1 potential HOF at the pace he was going and we won 1 SB. 

Most do not understand it because we had Peyton Manning for 13 seasons who was a top 3 QB of all-time. Then we had Luck who played 6 seasons for us and when he played he was basically a top 5 QB in the league. Spoiled fanbase. I like Brissett and think this season can end up being fun to watch. Yesterday was thrilling and fun to watch, the end result stunk but it is what it is. 

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most do not understand it because we had Peyton Manning for 13 seasons who was a top 3 QB of all-time. Then we had Luck who played 6 seasons for us and when he played he was basically a top 5 QB in the league. Spoiled fanbase. I like Brissett and think this season can end up being fun to watch. Yesterday was thrilling and fun to watch, the end result stunk but it is what it is. 

Exactly, you watch for entertainment. I was definitely entertained. I understand if we're losing by 40 every game, but people just seem so negative lately here.

I didn't post for most of the summer because it was annoying.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The game plan probably would of been the same with luck. You had two very good pass rushers and running like we did is how you eliminate the pass rush. As the season goes on the playbook will expand as JB gets more starts. He looks like he can be the franchise QB so far. Luck won several games last year with the same kind of stats. I was worried about the clutch factor but JB did just that. The offense couldn’t of went any better.

Agreed. We lost that game for several reasons, QB play was not one of them

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Reich said in a interview with Matt Taylor that we do need a few more explosive plays. It’s going to come.

He said that same thing when Luck was here and after that we were airing it out quite often. Reich is a man of his word when it comes to opening up the offense.  He won't stay conservative for very long. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Chloe we ran the ball like 10 or 11 times or something nuts.  Nice throw to Fun when we needed it.  But he didn't have to do much on that drive.

For the 2nd half...they had a 23 run/13 pass split. That's basically 2:1. The two TDs were on a Mack 63 yard run and a Hilton turning a two yard pass into a 19 yard pass. Ebron should have caught his pass though. 

I think JB was good for what Reich asked of him...lots of short passes and first reads. I also think, in time, Reich will open up the playbook and give JB more flexibility. So for now, far too early to judge JB one way or another. We have another 4-5 games before we will know about this season.

47 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well there was Foles and before that Trent Dilfer.  But you pretty much need a HOF type QB most of the time.

I wouldn't say top 5 but definitely top 10 if you want to compete for a SB consistently every year. if not you will more than likely fluctuate between making and missing the playoffs every year like teams like the Bengals and Chiefs did with Dalton and Smity not to long ago.

sure bad QBs have won SBs but 9 times out of 10 they were paired with a top 10 D organ elite running game.

This guy is more than good enough and our team is more than good enough to win the division and get that playoff birth.  There' s more games to play but like I said Jacoby plays well enough to give us a Dak Prescott like or better performance for this season and that is what we'd need to get in the playoffs. And the team will back him up. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Douzer said:

It was a very smart move to both trade for Jacoby, and to develop him. The lack of this very thing led to Polian's dismissal. The Colts and their fans are quite fortunate to have a backup step in the way this young man has. Extreme kudos to all involved in getting him here and getting him ready for this moment. 

To diss, degrade, throw shade at, or lower the man's ceiling before proof.... is very telling of one's understanding of the full scope of the NFL, and the QB position. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That Tennessee game next week is gigantic, we need to win that. If we do all is good. If we don't, this forum is going to go banana's lmao 

Defense and special teams need to be better.   I'm not worried about Jacoby.   I hope they let him take some deep shots.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

It was a very smart move to both trade for Jacoby, and to develop him. The lack of this very thing led to Polian's dismissal. The Colts and their fans are quite fortunate to have a backup step in the way this young man has. Extreme kudos to all involved in getting him here and getting him ready for this moment. 

To diss, degrade, throw shade at, or lower the man's ceiling before proof.... is very telling of one's understanding of the full scope of the NFL, and the QB position. 

But he had average college stats.   He obviously isn't very good

haha

• Like 1