Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri (Merge)

chad72

11 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm here for my crow!  And I'm pretty hungry...  I threw up my lunch after watching Vinny kick that game-loser...  :puke:

@bluebombers87 you were right, Vinny is officially a liability.  He just doesn't kick a pretty ball anymore.  Even the ones that go through the uprights are ugly low-flying knuckleballs.  Watching Justin Tucker kick right now brings to mind the phrase "pure kicker" like a "pure passer".  Tucker kicks a beautiful ball, Vinny doesn't anymore.

@Introspect I admit that I wouldn't be mad if the Colts have a new kicker on Monday.  I'll be sad about Vinny, but I won't be mad about moving on.  When it's time, it's time.

@Gramz I'm sorry, I wanted to win this game more than any other on our schedule this year, and to lose it like that... when we should have won... that was a gut-punch.  I'd love to let Vinny finish the season, but I don't want Vinny to lose us any more games this year.  It's not fair to us, it's not fair to him, and it's not fair to his teammates.

I can't believe I'm saying this, and it doesn't feel right being only halfway through the season, but it might be the right thing to do to say farewell to Vinny.

giphy.gif

Boy I'm gonna take heat for this, and I haven't seen all the posts, but why is it Vinny's fault?

He had one XP blocked (not his fault) and on the game winner the laces were out (again not his fault)

Yes he did hit the dirt but who knows whether it would've gone in or not and sometimes he does that and it still goes in. From my knowledge of kicking, hitting the dirt mainly affects the power of the ball, and that ball definitely had enough power, so...

His XPs aren't pretty but those 2 long ones last week were

17 hours ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

Bandwagon? I have stuck with this team since they arrived in 84. I've just had enough of this hanging on to over the hill players, coaches, management

So you've stuck through everything since 84 but now that Vinny missed a field goal to send us to 5-3 (oh the tragedy!) you're done?!!

1 minute ago, BigQungus said:

Boy I'm gonna take heat for this, and I haven't seen all the posts, but why is it Vinny's fault?

He had one XP blocked (not his fault) and on the game winner the laces were out (again not his fault)

Yes he did hit the dirt but who knows whether it would've gone in or not and sometimes he does that and it still goes in. From my knowledge of kicking, hitting the dirt mainly affects the power of the ball, and that ball definitely had enough power, so...

His XPs aren't pretty but those 2 long ones last week were

The blocked XP was his fault.   He went low.   

The laces being out doesn't affect a kick that much.  Hitting the ground does.   Granted if the foot was coming at a complete 180 degrees, it would only affect the power.   That is not the case with kickers.   

Just now, Myles said:

The blocked XP was his fault.   He went low.   

The laces being out doesn't affect a kick that much.  Hitting the ground does.   Granted if the foot was coming at a complete 180 degrees, it would only affect the power.   That is not the case with kickers.   

Definitely nitpicky to blame a blocked XP on the kicker not kicking 2 inches higher

?? Hitting the laces definitely affects kicks. Yes, theoretically kickers should hit just below the laces, but he didn't, cause most kickers don't anyways. You wanna blame him for that too? The fact is we don't actually know how the kick would've ended if the laces were fine and he still hit the ground. It's impossible to tell how much of an effect that had on his kick, given that the mere effect of hitting the ground is unpredictability, but the effect of hitting the laces is usually a crazy kick. So I choose to blame it on the thing that definitely affected his kick versus the thing that may have affected his kick

9 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

Definitely nitpicky to blame a blocked XP on the kicker not kicking 2 inches higher

?? Hitting the laces definitely affects kicks. Yes, theoretically kickers should hit just below the laces, but he didn't, cause most kickers don't anyways. You wanna blame him for that too? The fact is we don't actually know how the kick would've ended if the laces were fine and he still hit the ground. It's impossible to tell how much of an effect that had on his kick, given that the mere effect of hitting the ground is unpredictability, but the effect of hitting the laces is usually a crazy kick. So I choose to blame it on the thing that definitely affected his kick versus the thing that may have affected his kick

That is not true.   The effect of hitting the ground 2 feet before the ball will usually end up in a crazy kick.   

For what it’s worth McAfee broke the kick down in good detail on his radio show today.  He seems to think people are making too big of a deal out of Adam hitting the dirt and said he does that on every kick.  He is putting it all on the laces and says it impacts kickers big time because it causes the ball to hang on your foot.  

For the record this is not offered as a defense of Adam.  I’ve been legit curious to see a “kicking expert” break it down.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Vinny has now slept on it.   I think he is going to wake up and talk with his family then drive to the Colts complex and retire.   JMO

I don’t but I am sure the Colts aren’t upset about IMS being sold and knocking the Colts out of the local media spotlight for one day at least.  

37 minutes ago, Myles said:

That is not true.   The effect of hitting the ground 2 feet before the ball will usually end up in a crazy kick.   

How bout this...

Hitting the ground caused him to kick the ball at a higher place, which cause him to hit the laces, which caused a crazy kick.

At this point, I don't really know how to prove it one way or another. But either ways, hitting the ground isn't even indicative of a physical decline, it's just indicative of a bad kick.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

For what it’s worth McAfee broke the kick down in good detail on his radio show today.  He seems to think people are making too big of a deal out of Adam hitting the dirt and said he does that on every kick.  He is putting it all on the laces and says it impacts kickers big time because it causes the ball to hang on your foot.  

For the record this is not offered as a defense of Adam.  I’ve been legit curious to see a “kicking expert” break it down.

A kicking expert who is pretty good friends with Adam.

Ive also read where kickers say it doesn’t make that much of a difference. Based on the fact the ball went clear of the net, I have a hard time believing the laces can make that much of a difference. Striking the ground a foot or so before making the contact to me indicates what happened in that his foot went into the ground and arrested his motion enough to cause him to not hit it clean. That would explain both the lower trajectory the ball took and also that it went right off his foot and into the stands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Do I think Colts should move on from Vinatieri? Yes.

Do I think it will happen? No. 

Not this year, anyway. I mean... Parkey? is probably the best option out there, Mr BlockDoinkDoink himself.

Vinny missing FG's is understandable. What isn't are the missing Extra Points. Vinny will have the self-awareness to retire at the end of the year (I hope). Sad thing is his leg strength is still there, but his inconsistency with striking the ball is not what I thought would go first. Even Manning's last year, his passes at least went to where he wanted to put them despite not having the strength to do much else

2 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Question for those that say its on everyone and not Vinny's fault we lost...

Did Vinny kick the game winner vs the Broncos at the end of the game?

Nope, he didnt. That kick had nothing to do with sealing the victory. Brissett actually won that game in the 2nd quarter when he scrambled for a 4 yard gain instead of throwing an incomplete pass (this statement sounds ridiculous right?!?)

You cant have it both ways. 

Stop making sense... If you do THEY will come after you......

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Vinny has now slept on it.   I think he is going to wake up and talk with his family then drive to the Colts complex and retire.   JMO

I hope but this is a culture where people can't admit they did something wrong... From the supply room to the national government. Some people admit to nothing

Talking about special teams in general, Rhodes is suspect as well.  He snaps a lot of balls right into Sanchez body.  The line also seems suspect.  On one of AVs misses, they let a big fat guy jump right over them and almost blocked the kick.  Adam has been bad yes, but that whole unit could be better.

• Like 4

An old athlete that can’t admit he’s done. It’s not a new story. Very few athletes retire when they can still perform at a high level, and why would they? But few are also able to recognize when they can’t perform any more. That part is usually taken care of by coaches, GMs and owners, when teams no longer want you. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MTC said:

Do I think Colts should move on from Vinatieri? Yes.

Do I think it will happen? No. 

The problem trying to do this now is that any kickers worth a darn are on rosters.

We should’ve replaced Vinny before last season when we had our hands on a solid prospect.  We didn’t — and for the wrong reasons.

I’ve been on the “move on from Vinny” train for a long time.  But even I am skeptical that now is the best time to do it.  It’s possible we could do even worse.  Then again, that would be hard to do.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I hope you are right, but I am afraid that he is just purely seeking records now.  Obviously he cares about them a great deal, he named is ranch "Record Breaking Ranch" for goodness sake.  

1 hour ago, cbear said:

Talking about special teams in general, Rhodes is suspect as well.  He snaps a lot of balls right into Sanchez body.  The line also seems suspect.  On one of AVs misses, they let a big fat guy jump right over them and almost blocked the kick.  Adam has been bad yes, but that whole unit could be better.

I said earlier and still think the line, especially Glow, have an issue getting linemen’s arms down.  It’s shown up mostly in the passing game but it’s been an issue in the kicking game as well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bhougland said:

I hope you are right, but I am afraid that he is just purely seeking records now.  Obviously he cares about them a great deal, he named is ranch "Record Breaking Ranch" for goodness sake.  

Really.  Didn't know that.  That's a side of him I wasn't expecting. 

21 minutes ago, bhougland said:

What records would he be trying to achieve?  

How unfortunate for Andrew Luck and Adam V. It is my opinion that both players wanted to hang it up, and were asked very strongly to hang on longer, for the team, by the front office. Now they are being disrespected by fans, for being respectful to the front office. 

2 hours ago, bhougland said:

I highly doubt he is chasing records at this point. He even stated that he had no desire to play that long. It just so happens that his current status and career can be linked to his next career. 

Those that " Trophy Hunt" are always looking for that next " trophy" or record. If you read about his ranch you will see there are for sure "record breaking" trophies to have had. 

This is why it is named "Record Breaking Ranch". However, as being the GOAT, one could try to correlate the two. 

19 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

He nailed a 51 yarder the week before. Would have been nice if he would have hit game-winner on Sunday...but I hate when games come down to a kick...on either side.

What would people be saying...if he missed that DEN kick and hit the kick against PIT?

So true on that. It’s the blame game after a loss. I hate the stealers and we keep losing to them. I was upset, but over it now. 

59 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

How unfortunate for Andrew Luck and Adam V. It is my opinion that both players wanted to hang it up, and were asked very strongly to hang on longer, for the team, by the front office. Now they are being disrespected by fans, for being respectful to the front office. 

Vinny said retirement was never an option

• Like 1