Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri (Merge)


chad72

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

You do make a compelling case with this last sentence NMFE. Adam gets paid handsomely to close out tight games for INDY & he'd be the first to say that he came up short vs Pittsburgh & didn't get it done. 

 

I dislike it when someone inevitably says football is a team sport not tennis or golf. It's a true statement sure, but it's like you said in your original entry, Adam was in a position to get us a W & along with the glory when the Colts win comes the heat when a NFL specialist fails. Excellent point. Well said. The only thing that shields Adam from constructive criticism right now are his 4 SB rings on his resume. We all know this. 

 

How long do you have to thank him? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dark_Superman said:

I love Vinatieri and everything he's done for the Colts, but I'm more than ready to move on from him.

Mmm.  Problem is you'd be hard pressed to replace even the reduced version of AV we have right now, off the scrap heap.

 

It really does look like the best possible move is to limp into the offseason with him and re-evaluate from there.  Finding a good kicker is not easy.  AV isn't a good kicker anymore but neither are the obvious candidates to replace him.

 

Does our punter have any place kicking experience?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

 

How long do you have to thank him? 

I think I get what your driving at. Part of being an established athlete with clout means that they are protected when they go through slumps or a drought period where consistency fluctuates. Your overall point is valid though. No athlete is untouchable & if your performance dips long enough; anybody is replaceable just look at Cam Newton in Carolina or Marcus Mariota in Tennessee. It always boils down to production & tolerance. If your production slips, tolerance among the coaching staff & ownership flies out the window. 

 

I always have to remind myself that an athlete is paid or kept around based on what can you do for a franchise moving forward now not what accolades you generated for the organization in the past. That's why Cam Newton is about to be released soon. His 2015 SB appearance feels like ancient history now in 2019. Translation: Every athlete has a shelf life & sooner or later even elite NFL studs like AV get decommissioned from service. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

{snip interesting takes}

 

Every athlete has a shelf life & sooner or later even elite NFL studs like AV get decommissioned from service. 

 

Exactly. Even though an elite few kickers might last much longer than other players, there's always a finish line.  AV is likely in view of it. 

 

Morten Anderson kicked for 25 years in the NFL, John Carney and Gary Anderson made it through 23.  Adam is wrapping up year 24.

 

Jason Hanson made it through 21, and Sebastian Janikowski endured 18. Old George Blanda made it through 26.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

For those excited about moving on from AV, well...

 

https://nypost.com/2019/10/11/the-nfl-has-a-kicker-problem-and-its-getting-sad/

 

 

The article is junk.    I could tell when they said "The Titans willingness to resort to Parkey is a testament to how scarce the market is for kickers these days.".

Had they done any research, they would know that Parkey has been a decent kicker.   8/10 from beyond 50 yards.  FG% the same as AV for his career.   

 

 

image.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Myles said:

The article is junk.    I could tell when they said "The Titans willingness to resort to Parkey is a testament to how scarce the market is for kickers these days.".

Had they done any research, they would know that Parkey has been a decent kicker.   8/10 from beyond 50 yards.  FG% the same as AV for his career.   

 

 

image.png

 

I believe their point is this this-

 

field-goals-made-by-dist-table.png?w=128

 

Down across the board, especially 40 and beyond; of which Santos, Vedvik, Parkey, AV etc... are part.

 

Oh, the Bears lost millions signing and releasing Parkey when he missed a total of 10 kicks (seven field goals, three extra points) during a disastrous regular season, and he finished with the third worst field goal percentage in the NFL (23 of 30, 76.7 percent). Of course, the missed kick that fans in Chicago will remember the most is the one (double doink) that took place during the Bears' 16-15 wild-card loss against the Eagles. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Myles said:

The article is junk.    I could tell when they said "The Titans willingness to resort to Parkey is a testament to how scarce the market is for kickers these days.".

Had they done any research, they would know that Parkey has been a decent kicker.   8/10 from beyond 50 yards.  FG% the same as AV for his career.   

 

 

image.png

With kickers though it's not just about their FG% or XP%, it is how they do with the game on the line and under the pressure situations.  Parkey showed that he cannot handle pressure.  Same thing with the Colts very own liquored up kicker, he set the record for most consectuvtive FGs in a season and this misses a 45 yarder in to tie the Pittsburg playoff game after a rare Bettis fumble.  He also missed a 48 yarder to win a playoff game against Miami in OT.  

 

That is why, even after last Sunday, I will still trust AV with a game winning FG more than just about any other kicker in the game... he has proven he is at his best in those pressure situations.

 

I just thought of another example of Vanderjagt not handling pressure situations.  Even though most people went to bed after Manning threw a pick 6 to give the Tampa Bucs a 21 point lead with 4 minutes left in the game, I stayed awake for the comeback.  And the Colts were in position for a short <30 yard FG.  And Vanderjagt missed the first attempt and the Colts got a lucky call that moved it 5 yards closer and gave them another chance.  Even on that one Vandy hit the upright and got a fortunate bounce to win the game.

 

Point is, he was a great kicker as long as there was no pressure, but when it was all riding on him... he choked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Does our punter have any place kicking experience?

 

yes,  he made 21 of 23 FGs in college and 72 of 74 extra points

 

this was from wikipedia thats all the info i have on his kicking 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

I believe their point is this this-

 

field-goals-made-by-dist-table.png?w=128

 

Down across the board, especially 40 and beyond; of which Santos, Vedvik, Parkey, AV etc... are part.

 

 

 

I think the numbers are down this year because teams are sticking with their bad kicker.

 

Really I just think it is just an exception.  In 2017 the % made from 50+ was 12% higher than in 2016.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

 

yes,  he made 21 of 23 FGs in college and 72 of 74 extra points

 

this was from wikipedia thats all the info i have on his kicking 

Mm.  Something to think about then.  maybe I was wrong about Ballard not having a backup plan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

When does Ballard get held accountable for holding on to a washed up Kicker? It's embarrassing watching a kicker blow games for us. 

So what kicker is available for the Colts to sign? 

I think Ballard holds himself accountable so your question is mute. 

Just because there are no reports on Ballard looking for another kicker does not mean he is not trying. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Gramz said:

I get it.

 

A lot of folks have the utmost respect for him, including  myself.  Heck my profile pic is a pic of me in his Jersey.  

 

I wanted so much for him to go out on a good season. 

 

I love this team, and I love this franchise. 

 

No boos from me. Ever.

 

 

 

 


Same. I would never boo the team. Ever.  I guess I get those who do but I find it kind of silly. I don’t need to boo a player or the team if they mess up. They know it without me having to tell them by booing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I think I get what your driving at. Part of being an established athlete with clout means that they are protected when they go through slumps or a drought period where consistency fluctuates. Your overall point is valid though. No athlete is untouchable & if your performance dips long enough; anybody is replaceable just look at Cam Newton in Carolina or Marcus Mariota in Tennessee. It always boils down to production & tolerance. If your production slips, tolerance among the coaching staff & ownership flies out the window. 

 

I always have to remind myself that an athlete is paid or kept around based on what can you do for a franchise moving forward now not what accolades you generated for the organization in the past. That's why Cam Newton is about to be released soon. His 2015 SB appearance feels like ancient history now in 2019. Translation: Every athlete has a shelf life & sooner or later even elite NFL studs like AV get decommissioned from service. 

 

 

I'm not one who thinks we should cut him. There really is no one better out there. But it is his last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So what kicker is available for the Colts to sign? 

I think Ballard holds himself accountable so your question is mute. 

Just because there are no reports on Ballard looking for another kicker does not mean he is not trying. 

There are at least a dozen kickers that are better than AV. Laughable that our kicker cannot make extra points, has cost us two games, and he is still on the roster. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

There are at least a dozen kickers that are better than AV. Laughable that our kicker cannot make extra points, has cost us two games, and he is still on the roster. 

The kickers on other teams means zero to the Colts.

Ballard is always looking to improve this team. Just because you don't read or hear what is being done don't assume nothing is being done. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

There are at least a dozen kickers that are better than AV. Laughable that our kicker cannot make extra points, has cost us two games, and he is still on the roster. 

With that logic Ballard is terrible because of all the better QB starters out there

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Detectacon said:

Can’t wait for all of the Vinny sympathizers to justify how that XP miss didn’t cost us. You can only keep your head in the sand for so long. 

Hoyer has been a bigger issue today but my gawd you can’t giving up points like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Terminate this man's contract, Irsay!

 

How on earth is he still on the roster?

 

And don't give me this, there is no better option out there. 

 

Along with Hoyer he is the main culprit here. Would have only needed a FG to tie on the last drive and go to OT if not for his PAT miss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2019 at 8:30 PM, Chloe6124 said:

There is some good break down of the FG misdeed on stampede blue today. The one against Denver he shanked because it was going to be blocked was actually glowinski who didn’t take care of his man.  There is a lot more to these missed then just Vinny.

Excuses people need to stop making excuses for this man he missed another pat today that made them need a touchdown instead of a field goal then of course Hoyer is a bum.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...