Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cleveland Browns Paper Tigers

danlhart87

8 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

What affect do you think it will have if Gordon sits out like he's threatening?

Snarky response is what difference does it make if Gordon sits out four games, or misses four games due to injury? Because he's only played 16 games once.

Actual response, he's their best back by a long shot, but I don't think it's impossible to replace 80% of his production with another player. If he doesn't show up to camp and they don't feel great about their backs after a couple weeks, I would expect the Chargers to find a way to acquire a starting caliber back from somewhere. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superman said:

If he doesn't show up to camp and they don't feel great about their backs after a couple weeks, I would expect the Chargers to find a way to acquire a starting caliber back from somewhere. 

The Spanos family seem to look for the cheap way most of the time. 

On 5/29/2019 at 4:58 AM, kountrykeith said:

I don't know alot about all of their new talent on both sides of the ball. I know Kitchens coached below the coordinator position but I don't know much about his philosophy or his demeanor. I don't know if Mayfield is the real deal or not. I don't know what the win/loss record will be.

I do know this however, in the 20+ years I've been following this sport I have never seen a rookie HC in his first year with a new team shock the league. I believe it would take at least 8 games before the team can develop real chemistry on the field. Until that happens Freddie can have the best game plan and still come up short. 

My opinion only of course, I'm no expert. He might be the chosen one finally arrived but I am skeptical. My gut feeling is there were too many personnel moves at the same time as coaching / playbook / scheme changes. That might take awhile to get clicking.

Need to follow a little bit longer. Ever hear of a coach by the name of Ted Marchibroda. 

He also coached the Baltimore Colts from 1975-79. Then, the soft-spoken Marchibroda took a once-proud franchise that had hit bottom (2-12) the year before and, in one season, won a division title. Then a second. And a third.

A little Colt history.  (but you have to be old to know these things. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you.    Sorry, I should’ve looked it up.   Life is a little crazy in this corner of the world.   

Honestly, I wasn't sure...and had to look it up. 

After going 14-2...and firing Marty, I figured the future wasn't good for that franchise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

The Spanos family seem to look for the cheap way most of the time. 

Yes, but I don't disagree with them not sinking money into a high usage back with prior injuries who can't stay healthy and averages 4 yards/carry for his career. Full top, I wouldn't pay Gordon.

Add in the fact that Bosa is coming up, Rivers is coming up (I assume they extend him at some point soon), Adrian Phillips, Hunter Henry... and they're up against the cap as it is. 

At the same time, I don't blame Gordon for threatening to hold out. They hit him with the option, probably have no intention of paying him, and are going to try to run him into the ground in his final year with them. Then maybe tag him in 2020 and have him at their mercy. I get why he's using the little bit of leverage he has. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

i always thought Lamar jackson would be good.  seems like a lot of people wrote him off quickly even though he was a first round pick.  he could be the best QB from that draft 

Wonderlic score is a ridiculous metric too, its a math test for football players 

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i always thought Lamar jackson would be good.  seems like a lot of people wrote him off quickly even though he was a first round pick.  he could be the best QB from that draft 

Wonderlic score is a ridiculous metric too, its a math test for football players 

Wonderlic is far more than a math test. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

The Ravens looked legit this week. Of course they were playing the Dolphins, but they went out there and crushed them and didn't play down to Miami's level. I think the Browns will be looking up at the Ravens at the end of the 2019 season.

I will hold off and see how they perform against decent teams.

They have a game against the Cardinals this week which I don't think will tell us much because the Cardinals have plenty of problems as well.  

However in Week 3 they go up against the Chiefs, I think that will tell us much more.  They don't even have to win that game IMO.  Just keep it a close contest, make the game interesting into the 4th quarter and I can see the Ravens being contenders.  

• 2 weeks later...

they will have a very good year.

between Baker and OBJ, they have many commercial endorsements.

that means wins are coming. Never base any season on even the first 8 games in the parity era.

the league wants 25 teams to end up with 9-7 to 7-9 records , so it looks like every fan base still has a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

I felt Browns were on the right track with the Dorsey hiring.  I had skepticism when they hired their HC, and stockpiled ego FA's (flashbacks of the Dream Team).  And their O line was an unknown to me.

There's plenty of football to go, but they do indeed have issues to 'clean up'.

The good news for the Browns is the rest of the division stinks, and I’m a Ravens fan. The Browns  still have good talent , and a favorable end of season schedule. The Ravens must beat Cincy Sunday, and hope the Browns lose to Seattle and NE upcoming. Then the Ravens play those two, and need to split, which doesn’t look likely. 
The Ravens have three of their starting secondary now out. We picked up two inside Linebackers and a DT off the scrap heap. Losing Mosley hurt. The O line is weak. Brandon Williams , our run stuffing DT, was out in the Browns game, which is why Chubb ran all over us. Finally, we have no pass rush after losing Smith and Suggs. 
Unfortunately, this adds up to a mediocre Browns team possibly winning the division. Whoever wins this division isn’t going far in the playoffs , unless improvements are met. 

• Like 1

I'm also losing faith in Mayfield by the day as well. He's had issues with Hugh Jackson, Rex Ryan, social media tussles, ticking Nick Bosa off (college game), called out Daniel Jones (for not being a winner') and others, and more...

And now-

Richard Sherman -- who intercepted Mayfield on the first play of Cleveland's second drive -- reportedly did not take kindly to Mayfield's refusal to shake hands at the pregame coin toss.

"What's amazing, and annoying, was him not shaking hands at the beginning," Sherman told Silver. "That's some college (bleeped out). It's ridiculous. We're all trying to get psyched up, but shaking hands with your opponent -- that's NFL etiquette. And when you pull bush league stuff, that's disrespectful to the game. And believe me, that's gonna get us fired up."

Nick Bosa got revenge too-

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/nick-bosa-talks-trash-gets-revenge-vs-baker-mayfield-49ers-win

I hope he's not the next Ryan Leaf and grows up.  Browns fans deserve more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I'm also losing faith in Mayfield by the day as well. He's had issues with Hugh Jackson, Rex Ryan, social media tussles, ticking Nick Bosa off (college game), called out Daniel Jones (for not being a winner') and others, and more...

And now-

Richard Sherman -- who intercepted Mayfield on the first play of Cleveland's second drive -- reportedly did not take kindly to Mayfield's refusal to shake hands at the pregame coin toss.

"What's amazing, and annoying, was him not shaking hands at the beginning," Sherman told Silver. "That's some college (bleeped out). It's ridiculous. We're all trying to get psyched up, but shaking hands with your opponent -- that's NFL etiquette. And when you pull bush league stuff, that's disrespectful to the game. And believe me, that's gonna get us fired up."

Nick Bosa got revenge too-

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/nick-bosa-talks-trash-gets-revenge-vs-baker-mayfield-49ers-win

I hope he's not the next Ryan Leaf and grows up.  Browns fans deserve more.

They spent a lot of money putting talent around this kid..... and if it doesn’t work out it could set the Browns back for years.

Oh wait..... :lol:

On 5/21/2019 at 4:36 PM, TomDiggs said:

On paper the Browns have the look of a team that could win 10-12 games.

They have not played together and it is only a paper exercise until they prove it.

That being said, Baker Mayfield looks like the real deal.

Their OL is solid. If the right side of the line holds up they will be above average there.

They have crazy offensive skill position firepower. Beckham, Landry, Callaway, Njoku, Chubb, Hunt, Duke Johnson.

Their offense could be scary if the gel.

Defensively they look pretty well stacked too.

A D-Line featuring Myles Garrett, Sheldon Richardson and Olivier Vernon could be great if they all perform up to their capabilities.

Kirksey and Schobert are solid LBs.

And their secondary is talented as heck.

Ward, Greedy, Burnett and Randall make for a nice group.

Again, they have yet to play together so it is all projection. But there is talent all across the board on this team.

Combine that with the Ravens rebuilding on the fly and the Steelers playing without Bell and Brown for an entire season and the Bengals being the Bengals and all of the sudden you have a team that could go something like 4-2 or 5-1 in their division.

If they can split with the Steelers and the Ravens, they could easily reach 10 wins

Potential wins: Ravens, Steelers, Bengals (2), Jets, 49ers, Broncos, Bills, Dolphins, Cardinals

Potential losses: Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, Seahawks, Titans, Rams

I feel like 8 wins is their floor and 12 wins is their ceiling. They will be fun to watch this year.

Mayfield is having a sophomore slump.

On 10/9/2019 at 1:03 PM, BertJones said:

Browns are fine. They'll beat Seattle.

Uh, nope.

On 10/9/2019 at 1:03 PM, BertJones said:

Theyll be in playoffs.  The Sherman thing is pointless TMZ gossip.

Sherman thing was blown up, Bosa thing wasn't.  Browns 2 - 4 isn't very conducive to a playoff berth.

They are still in it , as is Pittsburgh. I’m a Ravens fan, but we are a shaky 4-2, with at Seattle , and the Patriots at home , coming up. Lamar and the offense is playing pretty well, but the defense is a disaster , especially the injury riddled secondary. The Browns aren’t as good as people thought, but this division is still wide open. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2019 at 2:04 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Uh, nope.

Sherman thing was blown up, Bosa thing wasn't.  Browns 2 - 4 isn't very conducive to a playoff berth.

Fine, they'll still make playoffs. 2-4 isn't a losing  early record  in the parity era anymore. The league  wants it so everyone  is 8-8 to 10-6  and still eligible  at the end. Browns are fine

On 10/25/2019 at 9:50 PM, BertJones said:

Fine, they'll still make playoffs. 2-4 isn't a losing  early record  in the parity era anymore. The league  wants it so everyone  is 8-8 to 10-6  and still eligible  at the end. Browns are fine

Browns are 2 and 5 now. Still think they will make it?

Cleveland, and their GM, John Dorsey,  bothced the hiring of the head coach.

Freddie Kitchens is not ready to be a HC.    And the coordinators aren't much better.

They've got lots of talent, (but the OL is poor). 

But the biggest problem is the coaching.     This is a blown season and a self-inflicted wound.

• Thanks 1