Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Inman signs with the patriots

We have a crowded receiver group, and I’m confident we’ll be alright.

However, I do think that at the end of last season, Luck and Inman had a good connection. Would’ve been nice to have that continuity.

• Like 2

Can’t lie. I always cringe when I see a former Colt go to NE. Especially a decent player that might help them.

Inman was pretty sure handed. I don’t think his YAC is anywhere near what Campbell’s is though.

We’re probably going to see a few more solid players let go. 

The thing that encourages me is to imagine TY, Campbell and Cain lined up with Doyle at TE and Mack or Hines in the backfield... coming at you like a mess of Indy cars! Yeah Baby!!!

I digress... good luck to Inman..well, sort of.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Happy for the guy,  but I hope we didn’t overplay our hand.   Hope this doesn’t come back to bite us.

A 1-year deal and NE isn’t famous for paying money to veterans signed this time of year.

It’s a good signing for the Pats and the Colts loss.  We have some new toys at WR but don’t really have any assurances that they will be reliable catching the football until proven.  We know Inman will catch the ball and keep the chains moving.  He is very reliable and will fit in well with what they like to do in New England.  Pity because he was cheap and I like him better than say Chester Rogers for instance.   

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Can’t lie. I always cringe when I see a former Colt go to NE. Especially a decent player that might help them.

Inman was pretty sure handed. I don’t think his YAC is anywhere near what Campbell’s is though.

The thing that encourages me is to imagine TY, Campbell and Cain lined up with Doyle at TE and Mack or Hines in the backfield... coming at you like a mess of Indy cars! Yeah Baby!!!

Seems Colts players going to NE never amount to much despite the hand wringing they’ll do great.  Wayne, Addai, Allen, Dorsett... nothing crazy happened with their performances 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

It’s a good signing for the Pats and the Colts loss.  We have some new toys at WR but don’t really have any assurances that they will be reliable catching the football until proven.  We know Inman will catch the ball and keep the chains moving.  He is very reliable and will fit in well with what they like to do in New England.  Pity because he was cheap and I like him better than say Chester Rogers for instance.   

Inman might be available by week 1 since NE signed DT and drafted NH

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Happy for the guy,  but I hope we didn’t overplay our hand.   Hope this doesn’t come back to bite us.

A 1-year deal and NE isn’t famous for paying money to veterans signed this time of year.

New England is also known for making smart moves.  Not saying releasing him was a bad idea, but when they grab someone up, it makes me think they see something other teams and us over looked.  If they didn't win so damn much it wouldn't mean anything.  But when they do stuff like sign a Josh Gordon, when we could've, it makes me think "they know when to make the right moves to get their team over the edge"  They aren't always right, but they dont risk much, and they seem to get it right more often than they get it wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Inman might be available since NE signed DT and drafted NH

I think Inman makes their roster.  He is a reliable veteran receiver who will thrive with Tom Brady as his QB.  Another nice security blanket for Tom and a good cheap get by Belichick.  They know what they are doing over there. 

7 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I think Inman makes their roster.  He is a reliable veteran receiver who will thrive with Tom Brady as his QB.  Another nice security blanket for Tom and a good cheap get by Belichick.  They know what they are doing over there. 

At this point he will be the Fifth or Six WR

D Thomas, NH, Edelman, Dorsett,Slater, DI, Berrios

• Like 1

Would have kept him over one of the young guys.  We have enough potential type guys (and I include funchess as he hasn't been very consistent).

Needed a proven sure handed guy who won't drop that crucial 3rd down pass.  Now we absolutely need those young guys to be the real thing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not sure DI will make the final 53

He might not.    They’ve got a decent little group of receivers.   He might not make their 53.

And yet, they signed him.   This is the time of year when fans forget about injuries and rookies who struggle.   They see 53 other guys and don’t care about anyone else.    Very short sighted.

What does Bill Belichick know and understand that the average fan doesn’t?   

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He might not.    They’ve got a decent little group of receivers.   He might not make their 53.

And yet, they signed him.   This is the time of year when fans forget about injuries and rookies who struggle.   They see 53 other guys and don’t care about anyone else.    Very short sighted.

What does Bill Belichick know and understand that the average fan doesn’t?   

He uses the pasta method

22 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

At this point he will be the Fifth or Six WR

D Thomas, NH, Edelman, Dorsett,Slater, DI, Berrios

Slater is a special teams Rock Star.   He’s a lock for the team.   But that’s all he does.   He does not play WR in games.   He has ONE CAREER catch.   So Inman would clearly play before him.   Not take his place on the roster,  just get WR snaps. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.   It didn’t.

Neither of them do what Inman does.

Inman gets open.   He doesn’t have great speed or quickness.   But he runs great routes.   He reads defenses.   He catches the ball.   He developed great chemistry with Luck inside of a week.

He’s a reliable professional receiver. 

There’s almost akways room for a guy line that on any roster.   I’m sorry he’s not on ours. 

There was a reason he was available in October for the Colts and still around in May this year

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

There was a reason he was available in October for the Colts and still around in May this year

Yes....    agreed...   he overplayed his hand holding out for multiple year contracts both years.    I may like the guy, but he is not blameless in his situation.   At his age and stage, he’s a one year at a time guy.   

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Slater is a special teams Rock Star.   He’s a lock for the team.   But that’s all he does.   He does not play WR in games.   He has ONE CAREER catch.   So Inman would clearly play before him.   Not take his place on the roster,  just get WR snaps. 

Slater is still listed as a WR and that is why I said 5th or 6th

Even if he doesn’t get a lot of O Snaps he still takes a roster spot and with the retirement of Gronk the TE position might get an extra body 

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.   It didn’t.

Neither of them do what Inman does.

Inman gets open.   He doesn’t have great speed or quickness.   But he runs great routes.   He reads defenses.   He catches the ball.   He developed great chemistry with Luck inside of a week.

He’s a reliable professional receiver. 

There’s almost akways room for a guy line that on any roster.   I’m sorry he’s not on ours. 

Agreed.  He was the 2nd best WR on the Colts last year, and it wasn't even close.  Maybe DF & Cain might have outplayed him this year, but I wouldn't bet on it.  I get going with youth, but I still say this year's Colts roster would be better with him than without him.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Funchess is a pretty good route runner.  He's had some drop issues on the outside but the numbers show he catches damn near everything when in the slot and the possession type routes. Plus he's got that huge frame for mismatches.  Pariss is going to get his fair share of action as well. We know at least from college that he's got pretty solid hands.  I also like Steve Ishmael in year 2 for the type of role Inman played if injuries occured and we needed to bring somone up from the PS.  Even a guy like Fountain could emerge.   I just like our depth this year, but certainly Inman was an asset for us.  We've got some different guys who could emerge.

• Like 1

I was an Inman fan, he has good hands but this isn't a huge deal IMO. We have a good WR/TE core in TY, Funchess, Ebron, Campbell, Rogers, and then Cain coming back. I think the people that have a problem with losing Inman is who he signed with. He may or may not do well with the Pats but who cares I say lmao . Chances are he will be lucky to even be the 4th option in that offense. Edelman and D Thomas are 1 and 2 without a doubt and they drafted Harry + they use their TE's a lot no matter who they are. I wish Inman the best just not against us. 

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Me too brother, me too. 

Dude would have been the 1)TY 2)Ebron 3)Mack 4)Doyle 5)Funchess 6)Hines 7)Parris...at best 8th option in the offense, not an issue from an offensive production standpoint. Only worry is a schematic standpoint. If we end up facing them in an important playoff game, does he divulge schematic info? Absolutely.