Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Inman signs with the patriots

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Inman gets open.   He doesn’t have great speed or quickness.   But he runs great routes.   He reads defenses.   He catches the ball.   He developed great chemistry with Luck inside of a week.

I agree with the rest, but I don't know that Inman runs great routes. He ran a great route on a TD pass late in the season, but I think his route running otherwise is pretty pedestrian.

I do like him, but I think once we signed Funchess,  the need for Inman was greatly diminished. I assumed/hoped we'd draft a good YAC receiver in the draft -- and we did -- and now, there's basically no room for Inman, barring injury. I'm pretty sure he signed for vet minimum or close to it, so I wonder whether he's had any kind of conversation with the Colts in the last month or so.

• Like 3

A lot of us , including me, feared Dorsett and D Allen would go to NE and light it up, resurrect their careers and it hasn't been the case. They're still sticking around but nothing spectacular. Bottom line, Ballard wont overpay replaceable players    

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

A lot of us , including me, feared Dorsett and D Allen would go to NE and light it up, resurrect their careers and it hasn't been the case. They're still sticking around but nothing spectacular. Bottom line, Ballard wont overpay replaceable players    

DA is now in Miami

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.   It didn’t.

Neither of them do what Inman does.

Inman gets open.   He doesn’t have great speed or quickness.   But he runs great routes.   He reads defenses.   He catches the ball.   He developed great chemistry with Luck inside of a week.

He’s a reliable professional receiver. 

There’s almost akways room for a guy line that on any roster.   I’m sorry he’s not on ours. 

Sorry, but i expect both of those guys will do what Inman did. And get open and produce better than he did.

32 minutes ago, Douzer said:

"Hoodie" wants the Colts playbook, schemes, routes, concepts & insights.

He gets Inman & intel...

You beat me to the punch.  Hoodie found a new way to get our signals...by getting every offense receiver we’ve ever had.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree with the rest, but I don't know that Inman runs great routes. He ran a great route on a TD pass late in the season, but I think his route running otherwise is pretty pedestrian.

I do like him, but I think once we signed Funchess,  the need for Inman was greatly diminished. I assumed/hoped we'd draft a good YAC receiver in the draft -- and we did -- and now, there's basically no room for Inman, barring injury. I'm pretty sure he signed for vet minimum or close to it, so I wonder whether he's had any kind of conversation with the Colts in the last month or so.

I don’t know if  Inman has talked with the Colts lately?    I would hope so.   But Rappaport says the Pats were one of four teams who offered.   I would like to think we were one....

As for routes...   we can agree to disagree...   but riddle me this...   if Inman isn’t fast...   and he’s not quick... and he doesn’t (in your view) run good routes, then how is he getting open to make catches?  And if he’s not really getting open, and he’s being covered, then good for him for making contested catches.   

I just think Inman has qualities that are hard are hard to quantify.  I’m sorry we lost him. 

Let's imagine that this upcoming season, we are in a close game and it's a critical third down, late in the game.

You would have no worries with Inman being in the lineup. He's shown that he can get open and can be a reliable target for Luck.

Currently, we will rely on T.Y., Funchess, Campbell, or Cain at the receiver position, in such a critical scenario. Only 1 of those guys (T.Y.) has caught a pass from Luck in a real game. 

To me, this is where Inman will be missed. Otherwise, I actually think we will be more dynamic.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know if  Inman has talked with the Colts lately?    I would hope so.   But Rappaport says the Pats were one of four teams who offered.   I would like to think we were one....

As for routes...   we can agree to disagree...   but riddle me this...   if Inman isn’t fast...   and he’s not quick... and he doesn’t (in your view) run good routes, then how is he getting open to make catches?  And if he’s not really getting open, and he’s being covered, then good for him for making contested catches.   

I just think Inman has qualities that are hard are hard to quantify.  I’m sorry we lost him. 

Yeah I don't mean to knock him, I'm definitely not saying he's no good, and like you said, either he's getting open or he's making contested catches, and both are valuable traits. He's probably doing both. And there was some potential upside with him, if he spent the whole offseason with the team and built on the foundation laid in half a season. 

I do think the scheme and the accuracy from the QB helped Inman, but he did his part. We had a lot of drops by receivers last year, but Inman was reliable; only one drop, and based on the stats I have found, just two in his career. We replaced him with a guy who has been known to drop passes at times. 

I would have liked to keep him, and I loved his attitude, but I thought the writing was on the wall when we signed Funchess. And I definitely think he can be replaced. Hope I'm right about that last part, because Funchess got a huge contract...

1 hour ago, Superman said:

By the way....    about the “no more room for him” viewpoint...    you may be right...

BUT.....

This is a new position for you.  At least  twice leading up to the draft when posters wrote there would be no more room for Inman, I’d respond that there was still plenty of room for him.   And I’d write...

Hilton, Funchess, rookie, Inman, Cain...  and then noted there would still be room for a 6th WR if we wanted, like Rogers.

And twice you gave it a like and wrote that you agreed and noted that was how you saw the group shaping up as well.   Hey, you’re entitled to change your mind, I’m only noting there has been a change. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

By the way....    about the “no more room for him” viewpoint...    you may be right...

BUT.....

This is a new position for you.  At least  twice leading up to the draft when posters wrote there would be no more room for Inman, I’d respond that there was still plenty of room for him.   And I’d write...

Hilton, Funchess, rookie, Inman, Cain...  and then noted there would still be room for a 6th WR if we wanted, like Rogers.

And twice you gave it a like and wrote that you agreed and noted that was how you saw the group shaping up as well.   Hey, you’re entitled to change your mind, I’m only noting there has been a change. 

Wasn't that before free agency? Because before I realized how heavy this draft was with slotty WR prospects, my preferred approach was to sign a slot receiver in FA and draft an X receiver prospect, which would allow Inman to retain a starting spot at X while the rookie worked his way in. We kind of did the opposite, with Funchess being an X / big slot, and Campbell being more of a slot prospect.

And when I say "no room," I mean if we assume Cain is back (which I don't, but we're all hopeful), and we're going to give all the young guys a legit shot in the rotation, it's hard to see where Inman fits. Once we signed Funchess, it seemed like the likelihood of keeping Inman went way down.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I do like him, but I think once we signed Funchess,  the need for Inman was greatly diminished. 

Agreed. I think the Colts set out to sign one decent veteran WR free agent before the draft to compliment TY and the younger guys. They basically chose the much younger veteran who might have a higher ceiling in regards to production, and could be a long term player for the Colts if he proves himself this year.

2 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I can already hear it “Inman catches a T.D. against former team the Colts to win the game.” It’s just the kind of luck we have against them. I was def okay with letting him walk though 

Jesus, fun to be you......

7 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I can agree with the 1st rd pick part but who else do they really have besides Edelmann?

Just signed D. Thomas along with Dorsett, Braxton Berrios and Matthew Slater 

1. DT

2. NH

3. JE

4. PD

5. DI

6. MS

7. BB

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

1. DT

2. NH

3. JE

4. PD

5. DI

6. MS

7. BB

Whoa now. DT is a shell of himself at this point. Harry couldn't seperate in college and hasn't played an NFL snap. Not that Inman is an elite WR but I could certainly argue that he'll be their 2nd best WR this year. 

And you can't possibly list Phillip Dorsett ahead of him on your quick snap depth chart. Dorsett gets cut light years before Inman.

2 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Whoa now. DT is a shell of himself at this point. Harry couldn't seperate in college and hasn't played an NFL snap. Not that Inman is an elite WR but I could certainly argue that he'll be their 2nd best WR this year. 

And you can't possibly list Phillip Dorsett ahead of him on your quick snap depth chart. Dorsett gets cut light years before Inman.

Patriots have too many wrs. Josh Gordon , Edelman, dorsett, d thomas,nkeal harry, inman

2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

1. DT

2. NH

3. JE

4. PD

5. DI

6. MS

7. BB

Josh Gordon  is still there to

2 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

At this point PD is ahead of him on knowledge of system alone

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.   It didn’t.

There’s almost akways room for a guy line that on any roster.   I’m sorry he’s not on ours. 

This. I totally understand that the Colts’ WR group is crowded. But it isn’t all that experienced. And lest we forget, the drop rate was frightening before Inman showed up.  Inman meshed extremely well with Luck. He got open and he caught what was thrown to him. Not a big play player but the best move the chains guy not named TY the Colts had. They will miss him. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Sorry, but i expect both of those guys will do what Inman did. And get open and produce better than he did.

Well, one has proven it, the other is a hope/theory.  I will say I hope you are right.  It's the literal version of the parable (I think it is a parable anyway) "One in the hand beats two in the bush" but of course the two in the bush are younger and faster than the one in the hand, and since the one in the hand has flown the coup, we better get a big net and bag the others via training camp. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.   It didn’t.

Inman was ranked 105th in target separation, and was 14th in cushion allowed. That means he wasn't crowded or pressed by the D, but still was pretty bad in terms of creating/maintaining separation. 

Also to note, he was much, much better when coming out of the slot (which about 30% of his snaps were from). At X, he was pretty pedestrian. I really don't think his routes were all that sharp either. 

I've said plenty of times that I really like Inman, but there's only so much room. I'm happy with the PC, DF, and DC (coming back) tradeoff, and I'm sure Luck is too. I'm really happy he found a team, just wish it wasn't the Pats. 

14 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not sure DI will make the final 53

My thoughts exactly and you hit on the reasons why. NE invested a 1st on Harry plus the guys returning will have Inman battling for one of the last roster spots in that position group. Typically at the back end of your WR group you want a young guy you are bringing along and someone who contributes on ST’s 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

You must have been pretty hammered last night to count Josh Gordon as being a part of the mix.

they made a surprising move and tendered him a few weeks ago.  i dont think hes done in the league, talent is still there too look at the play he made against us last year.  he actually made several big plays 

11 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

At this point PD is ahead of him on knowledge of system alone

Judging by Inman's ability to come in.... mid-season, mind you.... and develop instant chemistry with Andrew Luck AND produce results with TY hobbled with an ankle....

.... and NOW factor in the lead time he has to work with Brady.... how can you honestly rate the likes of Phillip Dorsett above him? :scratch:

2 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Judging by Inman's ability to come in.... mid-season, mind you.... and develop instant chemistry with Andrew Luck AND produce results with TY hobbled with an ankle....

.... and NOW factor in the lead time he has to work with Brady.... how can you honestly rate the likes of Phillip Dorsett above him? :scratch:

That is the way Depth Charts are made

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

they made a surprising move and tendered him a few weeks ago.  i dont think hes done in the league, talent is still there too look at the play he made against us last year.  he actually made several big plays 

Talent has never been the issue with Gordon.

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.   It didn’t.

He was almost the clone of a Wayne type of receiver. Just fast enough, run perfect routes and catches the ball. Not going to run 60 yard patterns but will move your chains. That’s exactly what we seen from him last season and hope we didn’t kick his production to the curb in lieu of a newer shiny toy that struggles. These are the tougher kind of decisions GM’s struggle with. Do I take the new version WR with tons of upside but unknown or stay with a known quantity with known ceiling and floor? Time will tell if we made the right choice on our guys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1