Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The CBS  report, brought up the fact about left over free agents that might be coincided  in short term contracts. 

They mentioned that the Colts if , the short term & the price is right might be a  good fit for Suh. I would love to have him for a short term fix for this year  to help out if the price is right.  If we can get him at a good price for short term does anyone think that  it would be a benefit to us?

Don't see Ballard spending big money to bring in any more big names...

Not Suh...   or McCoy.....     or Berry....

Ballard wants to play the kids....   

We might still bring in some smaller names who play a small but important roll on the team....   but I don't see the big names coming our way....

Sports websites play connect the dots because they see big name guys who want more money with the fact that the Colts have money to spend.    They honestly don't know and/or understand what Ballard is doing.     We had these kind of stories last year.    And we will have them next year too.

Not happening......

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Don't see Ballard spending big money to bring in any more big names...

Not Suh...   or McCoy.....     or Berry....

Ballard wants to play the kids....   

We might still bring in some smaller names who play a small but important roll on the team....   but I don't see the big names coming our way....

Sports websites play connect the dots because they see big name guys who want more money with the fact that the Colts have money to spend.    They honestly don't know and/or understand what Ballard is doing.     We had these kind of stories last year.    And we will have them next year too.

Not happening......

I wouldn't be do adamant. Predictions on the draft for most were very far off. 

I wouldn't be surprised either way. Guess we'll likely know later this week.

• Like 2

He hasn’t been a dirty player for a few years now. At least I can’t recall him being dirty since he left Detroit. He took less money last year to play for the rams with a shot at a SB. I’m sure there are only a few teams he is willing to play for and take a pay cut for, and we are likely one of them. DT is one of our biggest needs and we did not address it in the draft like everyone thought we would so I wouldn’t be surprised if we signed him. 

15 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I wouldn't be do adamant. Predictions on the draft for most were very far off. 

I wouldn't be surprised either way. Guess we'll likely know later this week.

You might be right.....

But I DO find it interesting,  even funny,  that you're telling someone else not to be so adamant.

Really,  if that aint the pot calling the kettle....

I've said this before, I'll say it again, the Colts don't have a need for a large run stuffing DT or NT or whatever you wanna call it. Flus system requires speedy guys that can get to the ball quickly. They were 8th in the league vs the run last year, and our major concern isn't stopping the run, it's beating Mahomes, Watson, and today's NFL. Offenses aren't Mike Ditka style anymore, the top teams are the ones with dynamic playcalling, and you need basically exactly what Ballard is drafting to combat that. They're playing world-class chess and we're on here playing checkers with some of the pieces missing. Idk why people think that we need a big DT to somehow complete this team? If it were that monumental of a need, don't you think Ballard would have addressed it at least ONCE? 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I don't think that Suh will be a fix that will be everlasting , but he might be a temporary  go to guy for  the time being. And only say this if the price is right. So bear with me only a temp. if the price is right! ok guys?

Downhillrunner is right.  Given his history and how much emphasis Ballard puts on the locker room and character, I can't see him bringing in Suh for any price.  

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I've said this before, I'll say it again, the Colts don't have a need for a large run stuffing DT or NT or whatever you wanna call it. Flus system requires speedy guys that can get to the ball quickly. They were 8th in the league vs the run last year, and our major concern isn't stopping the run, it's beating Mahomes, Watson, and today's NFL. Offenses aren't Mike Ditka style anymore, the top teams are the ones with dynamic playcalling, and you need basically exactly what Ballard is drafting to combat that. They're playing world-class chess and we're on here playing checkers with some of the pieces missing. Idk why people think that we need a big DT to somehow complete this team? If it were that monumental of a need, don't you think Ballard would have addressed it at least ONCE? 

In terms of yards per carry the Colts were actually the 5th best rush defense in the league giving up 3.9 YPC.  I'm in agreement with you on this.  I don't understand why so many people are wringing their hands about our run defense.  Personally I would trade a little bit of rush defense to generate more of a pass rush.  

• Like 1

Suh could make sense. Colts have room for one more on the DL rotation.

But McCoy makes perfect sense. He fits the defense...and is a guy that will give you solid production...and be a mentor to other young players...as he has done in TB. And now they have * him off in TB...so I bet he's ready to work and has a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

Colts only need to squeeze a season or two out of him...as they bring other young guys along.

This is similar to the Houston signing. And when the Colts signed Houston, they signaled that they their window is now opened. Adding McCoy fits that strategy. And it's not like the Colts don't have the money.

Plus, the last time the Colts scooped an older Bucs DT...things worked out pretty well. My guess...McCoy is a Colt before vet minicamp...and probably even before OTAs are done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Suh could make sense. Colts have room for one more on the DL rotation.

But McCoy makes perfect sense. He fits the defense...and is a guy that will give you solid production...and be a mentor to other young players...as he has done in TB. And now they have * him off in TB...so I bet he's ready to work and has a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

Colts only need to squeeze a season or two out of him...as they bring other young guys along.

This is similar to the Houston signing. And when the Colts signed Houston, they signaled that they their window is now opened. Adding McCoy fits that strategy. And it's not like the Colts don't have the money.

Plus, the last time the Colts scooped an older Bucs DT...things worked out pretty well. My guess...McCoy is a Colt before vet minicamp...and probably even before OTAs are done.

McCoy is not a run stuffer. He's a 3 tech and we've got plenty of them. McCoy will only be here when the injuries mount up at 3 tech. McCoy is not Al Woods. He's a different style of player.

The only thing that I believe Ballard would have issue with when it comes to Suh is price and age. And the other thing is development of young guys on the roster. The man has never been in one ounce of off field trouble, hes extremely durable,  and it's been years since he was known as a dirty player. Some people just love to hold on to the past. Suh is a good dude. If an injury occurs during preseason and Suh is still around i wouldnt knock Ballard at all for signing him.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, krunk said:

The only thing that I believe Ballard would have issue with when it comes to Suh is price and age. And the other thing is development of young guys on the roster. The man has never been in one ounce of off field trouble, hes extremely durable,  and it's been years since he was known as a dirty player. Some people just love to hold on to the past. Suh is a good dude. If an injury occurs during preseason and Suh is still around i wouldnt knock Ballard at all for signing him.

Wow....,

Honestly your post reads like it was written by his agent.   Good dude?!?

If half of what you wrote was true,  he’d still be with Detroit, or Miami, or the Rams, or any other team he’s played for...   all of them were more than willing to let him leave... 

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wow....,

If half of what you wrote was true,  he’d still be with Detroit, or Miami, or the Rams, or any other team he’s played for...   all of them were more than willing to let him leave... 

For what reason other than money? Where's his crimes? Ya damn sure can't say he doesn't give effort. And please don't give me that B'S from Detroit when they called him dirty years ago. Not the same guy. You've only got rumors. Many of which Dolphins fans will tell you are not true if you're talking about Miami. Just hanging onto the past.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

For what reason other than money?

Even if it’s ONLY money.....  every team has met Suh’s asking price.    And sooner or later, every team has determined he’s no longer worth the money.   He’s not giving his team enough bang for the buck.    What do they know that other teams who might be interested don’t?   

Here in Los Angeles,  the view if Suh ya that he mostly coasted thru the regular season then turned it on in the playoffs.    Not sure that’s the kind of player Ballard wants to bring in...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You might be right.....

But I DO find it interesting,  even funny,  that you're telling someone else not to be so adamant.

Really,  if that aint the pot calling the kettle....

I'm adamant on things were stats and facts provide logic/reason for a particular topic.

Not adamant at all on things like this. Like your thread saying you got Ballard all wrong, trying to predict what he may do is just darts at a board. Just like paying a lot for a one year deal on a FA WR, then drafting another one in the early rounds. I think a lot of folks thought just the opposite.

Personally I can only predict need, not what goes on in Ballard or Reich's head. Ballard only has two years as a shot caller, and you can only glean so much from his prior rolls where the boss made the calls.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wow....,

I agree that we shouldn't sign Such, but your logic is faulty. There are other circumstances for why a team doesn't bring a player back. And anyways, I don't judge necessarily how good I think a player is based on other teams' evaluation of said player.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Even if it’s ONLY money.....  every team has met Suh’s asking price.    And sooner or later, every team has determined he’s no longer worth the money.   He’s not giving his team enough bang for the buck.    What do they know that other teams who might be interested don’t?   

Here in Los Angeles,  the view if Suh ya that he mostly coasted thru the regular season then turned it on in the playoffs.    Not sure that’s the kind of player Ballard wants to bring in...

The coasting through the season mentality is something I think Ballard is against. They're training these guys up to go all out all the time. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Hey his time s is gone as big time linemen. He did not have any problems in LA , so even if LA has more  guys to fill his spot , it wont be bad to at least investigate his contribution  as a player in our current  line up for this year. 

I sure hope so even if the price is somewhat high. He is a durable player that doesn't miss games. I believe the Colts are very close and Suh may be the clincher if all goes right.

3 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I sure hope so even if the price is somewhat high. He is a durable player that doesn't miss games. I believe the Colts are very close and Suh may be the clincher if all goes right.

So true.  And I love the durability factor.  Maybe he could do for the Colts what the Rams were hoping he would do for them last year.  We would all love that.  

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 5:17 PM, horseshoecrabs said:

The CBS  report, brought up the fact about left over free agents that might be coincided  in short term contracts. 

They mentioned that the Colts if , the short term & the price is right might be a  good fit for Suh. I would love to have him for a short term fix for this year  to help out if the price is right.  If we can get him at a good price for short term does anyone think that  it would be a benefit to us?

I'm going to treat the reports that the Colts are a great place for Suh just like the reports that said the Colts were a great place for LeVeon Bell.  Clickbait.

• Like 1

I will stick to the opinion that he would be a good 1 year signing for DT depth. He would open things up for our ends. Correct me if I am wrong but he has never been arrested to my knowledge, has 0 domestic abuse cases, never has hurt a kid, right? The last time he got in trouble on the field was when he stepped on Rodgers leg in 2014, that was 5 years ago. So in 5 years he hasn't even been dirty on the field. He is an exceptional DT with some still left in the tank. I would have no problem with him coming aboard.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, krunk said:

McCoy is not a run stuffer. He's a 3 tech and we've got plenty of them. McCoy will only be here when the injuries mount up at 3 tech. McCoy is not Al Woods. He's a different style of player.

Colts have Hunt and Stewart at the 1 tech. Then smaller DTs at the 3 tech like Autry and Lewis...who missed half of last season. Autry also missed some time. Injuries do mount up...but I doubt a guy like McCoy will be sitting around then.

Both of those guys might also play snaps on the edge. So I think there will be snaps to go around...and McCoy would give them some ability to mix it up with his size inside...depending on the matchup. 

I can understand people’s reservation about McCoy...but I think he’s a great fit (especially in the locker room)...and that you can never have too many good DL players. He has to get released of course...but I hope Ballard at least brings him in for a visit to show what the Colts are doing and see if they work out a good deal. 

• Like 1

No No and HELL No, Suh is an expensive PIA and there is no way that Ballard is going to let this cancer in the locker room and cut a developing lineman that we could coach up. Wonder why no one keeps him on there team? If some team signs him it would be his 4th team

11 minutes ago, onebad150 said:

No No and HELL No, Suh is an expensive PIA and there is no way that Ballard is going to let this cancer in the locker room and cut a developing lineman that we could coach up. Wonder why no one keeps him on there team? If some team signs him it would be his 4th team

His contracts cost the teams too much not that he's a bad player. If he played for less money, he would still be a Lion.

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

His contracts cost the teams too much not that he's a bad player. If he played for less money, he would still be a Lion.

I think he will make significantly less this year than he did last year.  I think he will get a one year prove it deal somewhere though.  He knows the criticisms of him, supposedly a dirty player, didnt play his hardest last year, and had a down year.  That being said, there is no doubt in my mind that he is passionate about the game.  He has never missed a game or start.  Last year, I think the numbers were down because he he other elite D lineman around him.  I think he will get a lesser contract, which will humble him and make him want to come out and prove that he still has enough left in his tank to be an important defensive player for a few more years.  I would like to see the Colts give him that chance.  Yes, stopping the run may not be as important as it has been in years to come, but we don't have many others gaps on either side of the ball.  Even the best teams are still always looking to get better, so why not try to improve.

12 hours ago, BlueCrew48 said:

I think he will make significantly less this year than he did last year.  I think he will get a one year prove it deal somewhere though.  He knows the criticisms of him, supposedly a dirty player, didnt play his hardest last year, and had a down year.  That being said, there is no doubt in my mind that he is passionate about the game.  He has never missed a game or start.  Last year, I think the numbers were down because he he other elite D lineman around him.  I think he will get a lesser contract, which will humble him and make him want to come out and prove that he still has enough left in his tank to be an important defensive player for a few more years.  I would like to see the Colts give him that chance.  Yes, stopping the run may not be as important as it has been in years to come, but we don't have many others gaps on either side of the ball.  Even the best teams are still always looking to get better, so why not try to improve.

I wouldn't call it a down year. Having him there is likely a big part of why Donald got 20.5 sacks last year. His stats from year to year are up and down over his 9 years. His AV last year was higher than his year 2, and the same as year 6 and 8.

He's likely looking for a multiyear deal. Doubt he'll want a prove it one year at his age. I'd guess his min is 2 years. If he's holding on to 14M a year, he's likely going to be waiting a while lol. Predicting he'll get a 2 year 10M/year contract. Maybe more from a desperate team. I'd take him 2 years at 10M/y given our cap space.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

I wouldn't call it a down year. Having him there is likely a big part of why Donald got 20.5 sacks last year. His stats from year to year are up and down over his 9 years. His AV last year was higher than his year 2, and the same as year 6 and 8.

He's likely looking for a multiyear deal. Doubt he'll want a prove it one year at his age. I'd guess his min is 2 years. If he's holding on to 14M a year, he's likely going to be waiting a while lol. Predicting he'll get a 2 year 10M/year contract. Maybe more from a desperate team. I'd take him 2 years at 10M/y given our cap space.

This, with Suh you just can't look at stats. What he does is, is opens things up for players around him because 1 person normally can't handle him.