Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tampering is upon us!

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He's betting on himself like Honey Badger did last year.   Time will tell of course.  I guess Williams is probably out now.   Not too excited really.  Ballard got a day 1 FA.  Who would have thought.  Hoping for Mosley now. 

Im guessing Williams is gonna get paid 

19 minutes ago, MPStack said:

The deal has a max value of $13 million should Funchess hit all his incentives.

That's the same as a 50-75 Mill guarantee duh!!?!?

This will literally do nothing to our plan to potentially draft an upgrade, I don't get the dislike here also.

A MAX of 13 if this guy does EVERYTHING in his contract out of 100M to potentially spend. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

His stats when I looked rhem up dont look bad. He has luck throwing to him. 

I see your point and your right his stats aren't the worst.

But Can't we do better then a mediocre at best wr that luck will make look better then they are. Hopefully Cain will emerge as the #2 cause if T.Y. gets beat up like he did last year Funchess doesn't give me any confidence. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

He had over 800 yards when Cam was healthy. I think after next season we are going to be saying Ballard is a genious. I can’t believe the people on twitter mad about this no risk signing.

I was thinking the same about the mad fans

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, creid said:

I see your point and your right his stats aren't the worst.

But Can't we do better then a mediocre at best wr that luck will make look better then they are. Hopefully Cain will emerge as the #2 cause if T.Y. gets beat up like he did last year Funchess doesn't give me any confidence. 

He had over 800 yards when Cam was healthy. I think he can be that guy again.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

the last two super bowl winners have actually been pretty aggressive.  the eagles have always made headline moves, and they had high priced free agents on their super bowl run.  the patriots also make lots of moves, and they have been known to bring in expensive free agents too, when they have cap space

Actually.....    I beliee what you've written here is false.    

Feel free to list the high priced free agents they've brought in.     I think you'll find the list is rather short.

The Pats spent big on the Gilmore.    And that's it recently.     They signed Revis a number of years ago,  but it was a somewhat short deal that they got out of when the time was right.

New England is famous for letting their own guys leave, and taking the comp picks.

And who was the Eagles expensive FA signing?    

Both franchises are more known for smart spending and not buying expensive pieces....

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Actually quite the opposite I think

Especially if we re-sign Inman, which I think would be a good move.
Hilton, Funchess, Inman, Rogers, Cain, Fountain

Provided those young guys can make a difference, thats pretty solid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually.....    I beliee what you've written here is false.    

Feel free to list the high priced free agents they've brought in.     I think you'll find the list is rather short.

The Pats spent big on the Gilmore.    And that's it recently.     They signed Revis a number of years ago,  but it was a somewhat short deal that they got out of when the time was right.

revis and gilmore were both keys to super bowl runs too, i guess you forgot that part(and apparently so did chris ballard). remember randy moss?  they technically got him in a trade, but then they gave him a big contract.  they have had others too, some didnt pan out

as for the eagles, they have made tons of big moves over the years, i dont think need go over their history of doing that.  they brought in jeffery the year they wont he super bowl.  a 14 million dollar a year WR

3 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

Especially if we re-sign Inman, which I think would be a good move.
Hilton, Funchess, Inman, Rogers, Cain, Fountain

Provided those young guys can make a difference, thats pretty solid.

I'm sorry but that corps doesn't stack up that well against other elite offences. 

Cain emerging can change that tho. 

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

revis and gilmore were both keys to super bowl runs too, i guess you forgot that part(and apparently so did chris ballard). remember randy moss?  they technically got him in a trade, but then they gave him a big contract.  they have had others too, some didnt pan out

as for the eagles, they have made tons of big moves over the years, i dont think need go over their history of doing that.  they brought in jeffery the year they wont he super bowl.  a 14 million dollar a year WR

Moss didn't get a big contract.   I think it was 3/27....   and I'm not sure he lasted the entire deal.    And yes,  he was acquired in a trade,  not a FA signing.

And I didn't forget about the part where Gilmore and Revis were key contributors.   But for some reason,  you're comparing a program in perfect form...  basically 20 straight years of greatness with ours which is in the middle of a rebuild.      

Programs at different points in their arch can do different things.    Ballard won't always take the approach he's taken in 18 and 19.    At some point, he'll loosen the strings and spend more liberally.     But not now.    And he has said that repeatedly this off-season.

Some people just seem not to want to believe him.

As for the Eagles....    this front office has spent smartly,  not recklessly....   and the Jeffrey deal is an example of that.....    one year,  like Funchess.    Not a multiyear deal.     He re-signed after that.

As for the Eagles....   the traded picks to move up to get a franchise QB.    So?

12 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

They also signed Nick Foles that offseason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gspdx said:

So the only factor for you is the money?

Yes, I wouldn't work for your favorite team for less, simply because you think they are awesome, and will surely win a 'ship so so soon!  If only I were a good guy, realized this, and signed with the good guys for what they offered.... because you know, only good guys who care about winning will take what CB offers them....  If they don't, and get paid more than CB was willing to pay... They aren't team players or leaders....  can't have those bad apples around here...lmao

18 minutes ago, creid said:

Yup. Benjamin left that year and Funchess took over being Carolinas mediocre #1. 

Funchess was never meant to be a #1 receiver.  He doesn't have that type of speed to match the rest of the skill set.  I was hoping for more from him in that situation also, but it was an unrealistic expectation.  He has now been given an opportunity to succeed.  He's on a good ball club with an elite pocket QB and is only expected to be a #2 possession/red zone role player.  Along with T.Y., Deon Cain, Rodgers, and the TE group it will be enough to keep defenses honest and get him the breathing room he needs to make plays.  

In the meantime Ballard will find out what he has in Cain and spend some early round picks to round out the defense.  It was a good first grenade to clear out the tunnels.  The tender dominoes fell quick once that deal was done.

Off topic but can someone please explain to me how Jacksonville spends big on FA every year? Foles average will be 22mil/per year. They dumped good money on Bortles last year and sign Norwell. Just seems like they have endless amount of space every year 

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

They also signed Nick Foles that offseason.

yeah and not many people were picking the eagles as super bowl contenders at this point two years ago

there seem to be a lot of people here that think you should horde tons of cap space and not spend it until you have a great team already.  the colts have 100 million dollars, i dont see any reason to wait.  this could be our year now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boo2202 said:

Off topic but can someone please explain to me how Jacksonville spends big on FA every year? Foles average will be 22mil/per year. They dumped good money on Bortles last year and sign Norwell. Just seems like they have endless amount of space every year 

Did you see all the people they cut to make that Foles deal happen?

1 minute ago, boo2202 said:

they are actually pretty good at working the salary cap.  doesnt get mentioned a whole lot 

3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Number 1) Ballard didn't rely on solely the draft the last few years to fill needs.

Number 2) We will have 8 first and second round picks on roster from the 2018 and 2019 drafts, so your "not enough picks" argument is weak. 

Number 3) We don't have to sign a big contract... not a single one.

I believe we have 7 picks between 18' (1 first, 3 seconds) and 19' (1 first, 2 seconds). But that's beside the point. We have more than 3, 4, or 5 picks worth of needs that this draft alone cannot fill. We just need to come out of this FA with solid, starting players because this FA will have a huge effect on the Colts long term (first, and second round of playoffs and beyond). 

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

Funchess is 1 of the better blocking WR's in the leaguebas well.

That is great to know. Ebron isn’t very good at blocking. This guy is basically the same player as Ebron but just listed as a different position. Maybe we will be able to use him on the entire field and not just the red zone like Ebron.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I believe we have 7 picks between 18' (1 first, 3 seconds) and 19' (1 first, 2 seconds). But that's beside the point. We have more than 3, 4, or 5 picks worth of needs that this draft alone cannot fill. We just need to come out of this FA with solid, starting players because this FA will have a huge effect on the Colts long term (first, and second round of playoffs and beyond). 

I believe you are wrong and should check again... Hint (look at 2nd round in 2018)

This FA will not have huge effects on this teams success going forward. This draft (and future drafts) and the development of said draft picks will. Carry on.