Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tampering is upon us!

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Personally, if the only move the Colts make at safety is signing Geathers and then drafting Darnell Savage from Maryland, I will be happy.

And I'm not even a Geathers fan.

I’m not high on Geathers...personally.  He seems too injury prone to me.  He is much cheaper so there is that but sometimes you end up getting what you pay for.  Going cheaper isn’t always best.  Amos is the better safety in my opinion but Ballard might feel like the upgrade isn’t enough to justify the cost.  Ballard has openly stated how fond he is of Geathers.  We will see how it shakes out. I won’t be mad either way because Ballard has earned the benefit of the doubt with me to a certain extent.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

At some point, We have to sign 1 big contract. At some point. CB just has to decide if its going to be CJ Mosley, FLowers, Preston, etc. But To move to the next level, you are not going to fill all of your needs via the draft. Either you wont have enough picks to fill all the pressing needs or the player that you want/need wont be available at the spot you select, so.... Indianapolis Colts you are on the Free Agency clock! make it count!

Number 1) Ballard didn't rely on solely the draft the last few years to fill needs.

Number 2) We will have 8 first and second round picks on roster from the 2018 and 2019 drafts, so your "not enough picks" argument is weak. 

Number 3) We don't have to sign a big contract... not a single one.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Sure a G is valuable...but he is only one of five guys on the OL. And you don't need to spend the #6 pick or whatever Norwell got last year to get a valuable G. 

I don't want to get into a discussion about the merits of that deal from the WAS side...because I wouldn't have signed Collins for that. But it sounds like you think Collins is consciously hurting WAS's future by accepting that contract.

If you get a guard that is the top stud either in FA or draft, that single guard may actually improve not only his spot but it will by proxy improve the QB spot, the RB spot and the receivers spot because, he opens holes better for the backs and he can hold blocks longer for the QB to find a receiver that has finally shook loose from his defenders. I honestly believe if you build that oline, you absolutely make 6 positions better (1 oline = 5 players that = 1 in total 3 receivers + RB+ QB). 

Weve seen over the years, a bad oline can’t help any of those other positions really break out and shine. I say stay focused on the oline build. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

Yeah, I got you.  He's willing to spend, though.  Unfortunately winning a bidding war vs. Dan Snyder doesn't often happen.

No you really didn't.  CB has never stated that he will not spend.  He has stated that they place a value on a player and if the market for that player exceeds the value that they place on said player then they walk away.

By that logic, CB will spend but not crazy. 

4 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I’m not high on Geathers...personally.  He seems too injury prone to me.  He is much cheaper so there is that but sometimes you end up getting what you pay for.  Going cheaper isn’t always best.  Amos is the better safety in my opinion but Ballard might feel like the upgrade isn’t enough to justify the cost.  Ballard has openly stated how fond he is of Geathers.  We will see how it shakes out. I won’t be mad either way because Ballard has earned the benefit of the doubt with me to a certain extent.  

WIth hooker and Geathers being injury prone we would be smart to bring in another safety even if Geathers comes back. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superman said:

By rule, no. In practice, the Colts rolled forward $50m from 2018, and if they don't use it in 2019 it goes away, so I expect they'll use at least that much. So far, they've committed $12-15m in new money for 2019, then they'll probably use $10m to sign the draft class, so expect at least $25m in free agent cap spending. 

I don't think this is exactly correct.   By NFL rule, yes, but per the CBA it is my understanding they have to spend 89% of the salary cap over the 4 years or the amount below the 89% gets spread out over their current players (or maybe its pro rata for the players who were on the team for that 4 year period, not sure).  It wouldn't just go away.  It has to be paid to someone.  I read somewhere, sorry don't have the link, that the colts have to spend $250m over the next two years to get there.    So i do expect some spending soon.  Either this year or next but that may be to re-sign our own.

Hello Folks, I'm very late to the party. Any moves by my Vikings besides cutting Mike Remmers and not re-signing Sendejo?

Has Xavier Rhodes been traded to the Colts yet? Seriously, any moves by the Colts or Vikes. Thanks. :thmup:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

if someone offered me 84 million over the next 6 years and someone else offered me 70 million over the next 5 years, I would definitely take the 84 million.

For me it really comes down to what is guaranteed in the nfl.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

They lost to the Patriots just like we did.

We lost to the Chiefs. They made it to the SB. Your missing the point. Nobody will care about their contract if the team makes it to the SB. I'm not saying for us to go out and sign every free agent out there, but the guys that are there are young, and at the top of their positions that we need to upgrade.

2 minutes ago, aavmarine said:

We lost to the Chiefs. They made it to the SB. Your missing the point. Nobody will care about their contract if the team makes it to the SB. I'm not saying for us to go out and sign every free agent out there, but the guys that are there are young, and at the top of their positions that we need to upgrade.

I expect the Colts to make some moves, so we mostly agree. But a) let's not act like signing free agents guarantees a trip to the SB; the majority of big money FA contracts wind up being disappointments in the end; and b) let's not act like anything short of winning the SB makes up for tying up major resources in players that don't work out.

I'm fine with other teams winning the first 12 hours of the tampering period. The Colts didn't go hog wild like everyone expected last year, and still wound up 10-6 and won a playoff game (and arguably left at least two wins on the field in the first month and a half). 

What happens today doesn't determine whether the Colts can achieve their goals. It's exciting and fun to follow and project, but it's ultimately very overrated, by fans and media alike.

• Thanks 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018706/article/2019-nfl-free-agency-updated-top-101-nfl-free-agents

Still plenty of players on the market:

C.J. Mosely

Justin Houston

Preston Smith 

Za'Darius Smith 

Tyrann Mathieu 

Adrian Amos 

Adam Humphries 

Tyrell Williams 

Jordan Hicks 

Anthony Barr 

Golden Tate 

Shaquil Barrett 

Devin Funchess 

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Hello Folks, I'm very late to the party. Any moves by my Vikings besides cutting Mike Remmers and not re-signing Sendejo?

Has Xavier Rhodes been traded to the Colts yet? Seriously, any moves by the Colts or Vikes. Thanks. :thmup:

I've seen comments about how signing Collins would right the wrong by Grigs, but the Colts getting Rhodes would help heal the wound when we passed on him for Werner and I feel like that was way more egregious. I'm not sure that I've ever yelled at a TV that much before.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Hi! Nothing yet as far as I know. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

No you really didn't.  CB has never stated that he will not spend.  He has stated that they place a value on a player and if the market for that player exceeds the value that they place on said player then they walk away.

By that logic, CB will spend but not crazy. 

If it was 12 million, three weeks ago someone might have called that crazy... for a box safety.  It they were #2, whatever it was, it was substantial, so we can can probably pump the brakes on the prudent shopper nonsense.  

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Crowder, three years, $28.5m. Kind of sets the bar for Humphries, who has more production. He's probably looking at $10m/year, or more.

Crowder and Humphries are I believe he same age. And before crowder was hurt last year I believe he was outpacing Humphries the previous two years as well. I am hopeful this means that Humphries actually should be around the same ball park and remain under $10M a year. Fingers crossed. 

17 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I don't think this is exactly correct.   By NFL rule, yes, but per the CBA it is my understanding they have to spend 89% of the salary cap over the 4 years or the amount below the 89% gets spread out over their current players (or maybe its pro rata for the players who were on the team for that 4 year period, not sure).  It wouldn't just go away.  It has to be paid to someone.  I read somewhere, sorry don't have the link, that the colts have to spend $250m over the next two years to get there.    So i do expect some spending soon.  Either this year or next but that may be to re-sign our own.

Those are two different issues. 

The 89% rule cash spending isn't anything to worry about. The Colts will comply by the end of the 2020 league year. It's not even worth breaking down the math; just consider it a done deal.

The rollover rule states you can roll unused cap space from one league year to the next. The interpretation is that you cannot roll unused cap space from 2018 into 2020 (not officially confirmed, but that's the consensus conclusion). So the Colts rolled forward ~$50m from 2018 to 2019, but if they don't spend that $50m in 2019, they can't roll any portion of it into 2020. 

This is also a non-factor; I'm confident they'll spend the 2018 rollover cap space in 2019.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I didn’t think Humphries fit this team. Even though Doyle is a TE he basically plays that same middle of the field receiver. 

No he doesn't. There's a big difference between a traditional TE and Doyle and a slot receiver.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Crowder and Humphries are I believe he same age. And before crowder was hurt last year I believe he was outpacing Humphries the previous two years as well. I am hopeful this means that Humphries actually should be around the same ball park and remain under $10M a year. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

The 89% rule cash spending isn't anything to worry about. The Colts will comply by the end of the 2020 league year. It's not even worth breaking down the math; just consider it a done deal.

The rollover rule states you can roll unused cap space from one league year to the next. The interpretation is that you cannot roll unused cap space from 2018 into 2020 (not officially confirmed, but that's the consensus conclusion). So the Colts rolled forward ~$50m from 2018 to 2019, but if they don't spend that $50m in 2019, they can't roll any portion of it into 2020. 

This is also a non-factor; I'm confident they'll spend the 2018 rollover cap space in 2019.

No he doesn't. There's a big difference between a traditional TE and Doyle and a slot receiver.

Well either way we need a deep threat not a slot. Just my opinion.

21 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So given that is how you feel, what would you think if people called you names for that attitude?

To the bolded, people are acting like Collins did not take that into consideration.  Maybe he didn't want to play in a cover 2.  he knows the Redskins well, maybe he wanted to play in that organization.  Maybe he didn't chase the money, maybe the Colts offered him more but he'd rather play for the Redskins.

I was responding to your comment that the only factor for you is the money.  I never said anything about why Collins made his decision.  I have no idea what factors he used.  I just think anyone that is only looking at the money is missing a whole bunch of stuff.

In any job:  A good boss can make a lame job pretty good, while a bad boss can ruin the best job.  For some people they also think income is the primary indicator of success.  For others they see many other factors that impact their definition of success.   

I have been in situations where I could chase the money or go with what I thought was better for me.  My better choices have been where I didn't chase the money.  

Just my opinion based on my history.

Call me crazy, but last year I was rather ticked at some of the free agents that we couldn't grab. This year, I absolutely cringe at some of these numbers these guys are getting, and am beyond glad we aren't signing average players to 17 million a year contracts. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

If you get a guard that is the top stud either in FA or draft, that single guard may actually improve not only his spot but it will by proxy improve the QB spot, the RB spot and the receivers spot because, he opens holes better for the backs and he can hold blocks longer for the QB to find a receiver that has finally shook loose from his defenders. I honestly believe if you build that oline, you absolutely make 6 positions better (1 oline = 5 players that = 1 in total 3 receivers + RB+ QB). 

Weve seen over the years, a bad oline can’t help any of those other positions really break out and shine. I say stay focused on the oline build. 

Sure. But a S can absolutely improve a defense and players around him. 

Traditionally, the G position (like S) has been undervalued. But then you have Norwell getting a huge deal and Nelson getting drafted top 6.

Just seems like S is starting to catch up. And I don't think it prevents a team from building a great defense.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I may have missed part of the thread.  I only saw his question on do they have to spend it and your response that they don't lose it if they don't.   I wasn't even talking about cap space except where it isn't used i guess.  nbd. carry on!

It's funny. The Colts have almost every advantage. 

Top 5 QB

Winning program

Top quality GM and coaching staff to develop

Reportedly a great culture

Top quality stadium to play in

State income tax is decent

A lot of cap space to make moves

The Colts could outbid any other team out there, but Ballard choose not to. 

Collins, Humphries.. could have had them easily if he wanted.

You have to think they are working on their targets.

• Like 2

Just now, Fluke_33 said:

I may have missed part of the thread.  I only saw his question on do they have to spend it and your response that they don't lose it if they don't.   I wasn't even talking about cap space except where it isn't used i guess.  nbd. carry on!

Yeah, it's a different way of looking at it. Everyone's eyes are on the 89%, but it's not a big factor. However, if that interpretation of the rollover is correct, that's the amount that the Colts would be wise to use in 2019, one way or the other, because it does expire at the end of the league year.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, James said:

It's funny. The Colts have almost every advantage. 

Top 5 QB

Winning program

Top quality GM and coaching staff to develop

Reportedly a great culture

Top quality stadium to play in

State income tax is decent

A lot of cap space to make moves

The Colts could outbid any other team out there, but Ballard choose not to. 

Collins, Humphries.. could have had them easily if he wanted.

You have to think they are working on their targets.

Did you see Collins contract? Do you really wanna play a S that much money? Humphries I didn't care for