Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tampering is upon us!

Off topic a little bit but La'Veon Bell is tweeting he is torn on where he should sign.  It appears he has a few offers but he is not sure which is best for him.   I wonder if Ballard made him an offer that is not the highest but we might be the team that he really feels is his best fit.  It feels like he is really struggling with his decision.  Maybe we offered him more guaranteed money but not the largest contract.  Just wishful thinking on my part I guess.  I expect he is sleeping on it and we will probably know tomorrow.  Then the Bell story will be finally over.   

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

With the inflation of what players will be making in the next few years, I actually wouldn’t mind paying Mosley close to 13/14 mil per season to play for a contender and alongside Leonard which he probably would enjoy doing. Having arguably the best LB core in the league can go along way to having a great defense. Plus he’s such a good general on the field. We could then play 3 LBers on the field and all are very good players. 

We play 2 linebackers more than we play 3. And Mosley is definitely better as a run stopper than chasing anyone. I am pretty sure Walker would be better in our 4-2, and he was being replace by Geathers in passing situations in the Playoffs.
So...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Funchess is 1 of the better blocking WR's in the leaguebas 

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ryan Kelly might be a very rich man next year.

I think that really depends on his health.  If he continues to miss games because of injuries, I doubt he gets a big contract.  Sadly it's becoming a trend with Kelly.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

Darius is humble and knows when it’s his time it’s his time. this is foolish 

Not as foolish as you might think but I don’t know so will let it rest.  DL is an ALL PRO during a rookie season need I say more?

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

The problem with this deal is not that it's one year deal. It's that it's not more(non-guaranteed ones). We get all the downside of a prove it deal, while paying him like he's already proven it, without getting the upside of having him locked for lets say one more year(similar to Ebron's deal) in case he actually works out. So what happens if he works out? He will up for another deal and an upgrade of the contract, probably not with us.

Agreed.

Though the Alshon comparison is a good one. If he works out we have first crack to extend him and sell him on staying here. If he leaves and gets a big deal elsewhere we net a comp pick (hypothetically, assuming we don't sign an equally pricey guy).

I would have liked for it to be for less money, but he basically got a one year deal in the ball park of the annual salary that guys like Humphries and Crowder got. And in line w Moncrief last year as people mentioned.

Not terrible. Not the biggest long-term upside, but if it works out like Alshon that would be ideal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We play 2 linebackers more than we play 3. And Mosley is definitely better as a run stopper than chasing anyone. I am pretty sure Walker would be better in our 4-2, and he was being replace by Geathers in passing situations in the Playoffs.
So...

This is exactly why I have reservations of overpaying CJ.

That said, his best coverage year was 2017 where he was a top-10 guy. Last year he was still a top-20 coverage LB (17th I believe amongst off-ball LBs). He is not this mega-elite guy on coverage as people would want for a guy that might command $14M+ a year. That said, I would bet he is a plug and play 3-down guy who is better in coverage than Walker and is 100% elite in run support.

If we are not going to spend big on some other positions, then I am good w spending big on him. It isn't an absolute need, but then again Cleveland doesn't absolutely need him either. And he is being talked about there as well.

The Jets are the team that need him most that are mentioned as being in the running for sure.

4 minutes ago, NDcolt said:

Not as foolish as you might think but I don’t know so will let it rest.  DL is an ALL PRO during a rookie season need I say more?

im just saying that’s not en his dna it weird level thinking. like to a degree is it a talking point, yes but sitting darius dwn telling him CJ coming to the squad. he’ll be more happy than anything. it’s weirdo level thinking. Barring injury, Leonard’s money is already set aside. 

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Off topic a little bit but La'Veon Bell is tweeting he is torn on where he should sign.  It appears he has a few offers but he is not sure which is best for him.   I wonder if Ballard made him an offer that is not the highest but we might be the team that he really feels is his best fit.  It feels like he is really struggling with his decision.  Maybe we offered him more guaranteed money but not the largest contract.  Just wishful thinking on my part I guess.  I expect he is sleeping on it and we will probably know tomorrow.  Then the Bell story will be finally over.   

I never saw the Bell interest.  They have 3 young backs they have recently drafted.  If u sign Bell, who is  a 3 down back, what would u do with the other 3 young guys??? 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I never saw the Bell interest.  They have 3 young backs they have recently drafted.  If u sign Bell, who is  a 3 down back, what would u do with the other 3 young guys??? 

Bell is a huge upgrade on all of our backs. Hines and Wilkins can compete for the 3rd spot. 

I believe Ballard preaches competition at every position. But that being said I don't think bell will be a colt. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

So...

Actually I have read  reviews of Mosley and his strength is as a cover linebacker perfectly suited for the cover 2.  He is better is coverage them run stopping 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, creid said:

Bell is a huge upgrade on all of our backs. Hines and Wilkins can compete for the 3rd spot. 

I believe Ballard preaches competition at every position. But that being said I don't think bell will be a colt. 

I agree with competition but the other 3 will have limited reps.  Just seems like a waste of young talent and I don't c it as a need. We need D and some help at WR. I'm tired this organization addressing the O.  I want playmakers on D. 

28 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

im just saying that’s not en his dna it weird level thinking. like to a degree is it a talking point, yes but sitting darius dwn telling him CJ coming to the squad. he’ll be more happy than anything. it’s weirdo level thinking. Barring injury, Leonard’s money is already set aside. 

I’m all in and your right, that’s not in DL’s DNA but with today’s Athletes it crept into my mind.  Mosley would bring Crazy Excitment to this already top 10 D!

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree with competition but the other 3 will have limited reps.  Just seems like a waste of young talent and I don't c it as a need. We need D and some help at WR. I'm tired this organization addressing the O.  I want playmakers on D. 

I agree 100% we need playmakers on D. They're coming in the draft I assume. with the Funchess signing there's your WR help... 

I'll say it again I would be shocked if we landed Bell. But the reason for not signing him shouldn't be reps for Wilkins. There are reasons why players like Bell don't become free agents. 

Here's a thought Bell is a better receiver then Funchess. And we spent 10m on him 

• Like 1

I listened to the draft coverage much of the day on the NFL Network and he came up. The hit on him was his coverage skills.
And this piece.

Despite his interception total, pass coverage is the aspect of Mosley’s game he’s often criticized for. The middle of the field has been the defense’s most vulnerable spot for some time, as underneath routes and checkdown passes have usually been the killer for the Ravens on third down. 

But Mosley is still partially to blame since man coverage has been his greatest weakness since entering the league, especially when assigned to elusive RBs. Mosley recognizes his assignments well but sometimes has trouble with sticking to good route runners. This inconsistency is why some fans find it difficult to pay Mosley more than Kuechly, when the latter is a far more talented pass defender.

But it’s still unfair to be too critical of Mosley.

And comparing his coverage ability to Keuchley is unfair IMO. Keuchley’s coverage skills are rare. Mosley does struggle at times but I agree that some of that last year was attributable to injury. 

Regardless, this flaw should not overshadow how fantastic of a player Mosley is. The defense thrives off his ability to shoot the gaps and limit ball carriers from big gains. 

Pay the Man.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

It's not the answer at WR. I'm with you ..not at all crazy about this player.

I think Ballard likes Williams but today was so crazy that there must be a 15 per year price tag on him. So this guy plays for a year and really has no bearing on the cap as we have tons this year. He'll hope to upgrade with Cain and a rookie WR. 

So what I'm trying to say is I don't like the signing much but I think understand the strategy . 

Maybe the money gets spent on Mosley or P Smith ? Don't forget we HAVE to sign a safety and a CB. How about Houston offering their guy almost 30 mill for 3 years and he gets 14 mill per year ? To me that might be the biggest shocker of they. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

The problem with this deal is not that it's one year deal. It's that it's not more(non-guaranteed ones). We get all the downside of a prove it deal, while paying him like he's already proven it, without getting the upside of having him locked for lets say one more year(similar to Ebron's deal) in case he actually works out. So what happens if he works out? He will up for another deal and an upgrade of the contract, probably not with us.

I would say we sign the guy, he balls out, he moves on to a team next year with a big contract and we get a comp pick in the 4th maybe 3rd if big enough. Same with Ebron too? I feel like this is an overinflated contract for a WR who hasn’t wowed anyone yet but I still believe CB has a solid plan. 

Just now, Jdubu said:

I would say we sign the guy, he balls out, he moves on to a team next year with a big contract and we get a comp pick in the 4th maybe 3rd if big enough. Same with Ebron too? I feel like this is an overinflated contract for a WR who hasn’t wowed anyone yet but I still believe CB has a solid plan. 

So what if he has a big year and moves on. That gives us another year to evaluate Cain and all our young receivers. Or maybe he has a big year and we reward him and he stays. Seems like he is excited to be a colt.

57 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Likely you move Wilkins to PS.   They probably won't sign Bell..... but it will never be because of whomever the team thinks is the weakest of their 3 backs from last year....

Regardless of what anyone thinks, Bell would be a massive upgrade in talent at RB from anything the Colt's have had since E. James.  Most don't want to hear that, for various reasons already stated, but it's the truth.

The Colts probably won't sign him, but it will be because of something other than the backs on the roster....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So what if he has a big year and moves on. That gives us another year to evaluate Cain and all our young receivers. Or maybe he has a big year and we reward him and he stays. Seems like he is excited to be a colt.

Yes agree. Insurance for Cain in case he flops and Fuenches balls out, just reward and you still have time for Cain to show something in year 3. TY would be on his final year as well. And if we do end up drafting a second day WR, or first day :hide:, then you have that guy in the mix as well. The team certainly has lots of options. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomDiggs said:

This (amongst others) is why we will likely reserve a big chunk of cap space to roll over to next year again.

If Mitch Morse gets this kinda coin, imagine what Ryan Kelly's extension will look like if he remains even somewhat healthy.

Morse and Kelly are pretty similar in cost. Kelly probably won't get much more than that...because Ballard will re-sign him. Kelly will also be a year older...not that it matters as much for OL players. 

That said, I really like this deal for BUF. Protect your QB...and it only cost money. If the Colts didn't have Kelly...I would very much be in favor of this move.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Morse and Kelly are pretty similar in cost. Kelly probably won't get much more than that...because Ballard will re-sign him. Kelly will also be a year older...not that it matters as much for OL players. 

That said, I really like this deal for BUF. Protect your QB...and it only cost money. If the Colts didn't have Kelly...I would very much be in favor of this move.

I agree.

That said, Kelly counts around $3M a year now against the cap and in the next two years or so that is going to jump by as much as $10M a year at this rate.

So the storm is coming down the road. That is why you either plan to just win now and sign everyone (not CB's style) or you plan very carefully by giving short term contracts that are front loaded or very low risk with high rewards.

That is part of why I don't see us playing in that top-tier money market but I am still hopefully we can net a bunch of these $6-$8M type guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomDiggs said:

Agreed.

Though the Alshon comparison is a good one. If he works out we have first crack to extend him and sell him on staying here. If he leaves and gets a big deal elsewhere we net a comp pick (hypothetically, assuming we don't sign an equally pricey guy).

I would have liked for it to be for less money, but he basically got a one year deal in the ball park of the annual salary that guys like Humphries and Crowder got. And in line w Moncrief last year as people mentioned.

Not terrible. Not the biggest long-term upside, but if it works out like Alshon that would be ideal.

Jeffrey was a Pro Bowler at age 23 and had shown the potential to be a legit WR1. He just had injury concerns. Look at his yards by season:

23 - 1,421

24 - 1,113

25 - 807

26 - 821

Then look at Funchess...he has one season above 600 yards (840 two seasons ago). He's a meh WR2.

I was probably being harsh when I called him a bum. He's a Colt now so I will root for him. Just not a fan of this type of WR...especially at $10M. But I need to see how the draft plays out. 

I do think the Alshon comp is sorta lazy and a stretch...and seeing people like Holder use it sounds like think they are carrying water for the Colts FO or something. If we are being honest, Moncrief is a much better comp (though Moncrief had/has legit upside due to his H/W/S...something Funchess doesn't really have).

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Jeffrey was a Pro Bowler at age 23 and had shown the potential to be a legit WR1. He just had injury concerns. Look at his yards by season:

23 - 1,421

24 - 1,113

25 - 807

26 - 821

Then look at Funchess...he has one season above 600 yards (840 two seasons ago). He's a meh WR2.

I was probably being harsh when I called him a bum. He's a Colt now so I will root for him. Just not a fan of this type of WR...especially at $10M. But I need to see how the draft plays out. 

I do think the Alshon comp is sorta lazy and a stretch...and seeing people like Holder use it sounds like think they are carrying water for the Colts FO or something. If we are being honest, Moncrief is a much better comp (though Moncrief had/has legit upside due to his H/W/S...something Funchess doesn't really have).

See this is where you and I differ immensely. You are trying to compare Funchess the player to Alston the player in terms of past productivity when they signed their deals. I am trying to compare the fit of the players. 

Alshon is a 6’3 218 lb big bodied wr that the Eagles signed when running a Pederson/Reich offense that badly needed a big bodied WR. 

Funchess is a 6’4” 225 lb big bodied wr that the Colts signed when running a Reich offense that (some say) badly needed a big bodied WR. (I personally wanted a versatile YAC slot guy- namely Golden Tate. But oh well lol)

Alshon got paid $14M on his 1 year prove it deal w Philly. He put up 57-789-9 on that deal and the Eagles rewarded him w a 4 yr $52M contract for that.

All I am saying is Funchess can easily approach those numbers here now and for less money on a prove it deal. The fit is the same. The risk or lack thereof is the same. The track record statistically is not as you definitely showed. But in free agency the best teams (in my humble opinion) pay for what they think you’re going to do or can do in the future and not simply what you’ve done in the past. 

I still see the Funchess move as very similar to the Alshon move for Reich’s scheme and I do not see it as a lazy comparison whatsoever in that regard alone. 

For those calling Funchess the player an identical talent to Alshon, that would be being lazy for sure. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

See this is where you and I differ immensely. You are trying to compare Funchess the player to Alston the player in terms of past productivity when they signed their deals. I am trying to compare the fit of the players. 

Alshon is a 6’3 218 lb big bodied wr that the Eagles signed when running a Pederson/Reich offense that badly needed a big bodied WR. 

Funchess is a 6’4” 225 lb big bodied wr that the Colts signed when running a Reich offense that (some say) badly needed a big bodied WR. (I personally wanted a versatile YAC slot guy- namely Golden Tate. But oh well lol)

Alshon got paid $14M on his 1 year prove it deal w Philly. He put up 57-789-9 on that deal and the Eagles rewarded him w a 4 yr $52M contract for that.

All I am saying is Funchess can easily approach those numbers here now and for less money on a prove it deal. The fit is the same. The risk or lack thereof is the same. The track record statistically is not as you definitely showed. But in free agency the best teams (in my humble opinion) pay for what they think you’re going to do or can do in the future and not simply what you’ve done in the past. 

I still see the Funchess move as very similar to the Alshon move for Reich’s scheme and I do not see it as a lazy comparison whatsoever in that regard alone. 

For those calling Funchess the player an identical talent to Alshon, that would be being lazy for sure. 

We are just looking at it from different lens I guess. No doubt the situations are similar. I just think Alshon is a much better WR than Funchess...and fit the offense better. Your last sentence is what I was mostly getting at.

• Like 1

I still think like ive been saying we will draft a guy like Pariss Campbell or somebody else to compete with mainly Fountain, Chester Rogers and whomever else. Personally I think Parris Campbell makes a lot of sense. The speed and the size gives you a guy who can play inside and out. A guy who is a nice runner after the catch. He can play the short game and the long game. Id expect him to compete with and beat out one of Fountain, Marcus Johnson, or Chester Rogers.

Ideally id like to see:

TY Hilton

Pariss Campbell

Devin Funchess

Daurice Fountain

Deion Cain

Or maybe you can replace Fountain with Rogers. Send Fountain to PS. Id rather see him playing though.

At RB i still sort of want to see Mack and Tevin Coleman together. Wouldnt mind having a big back to go with them. Somebody that has skills like Michael Turner had. But of course it leaves me questioning what wed do with Hines.

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Yeah, the comp pick is the only possible upside, but that's assuming we don't sign a respectively high contract ourselves... 

4 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Another OT getting paid some big money.

I will be curious to see what Daryl Williams gets coming off his knee injury but being one of the consensus best RTs in the game as well.

Anyhow James got some coin.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard is trying to extend AC. 

• Like 2