Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The PatMcafee Show w/ Chris Ballard

Bravo

Here is the link to the podcast.

AWESOME INTERVIEW!

Warning: Contains adult language!

I have always liked Chris Ballard but after this interview I gained even more respect for him! What a personable guy and tells it how it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

After :27 seconds......Play on spotify!? 

Cmon man 

Here is another her link from Twitter:

I have Spotify so I’m not sure what your talking about.

Sorry is the link doesn’t work. Spotify however is an amazing app. Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Quick notes:

- Talks about combine interview questions that the Colts ask. He says that they watch tape with a lot of players and put good and bad plays on there. They want the player to explain the play and make them understand why they did what they did and if they understand what all of the other players are doing. They also want to see if the players are going to place blame on the other players for their mistakes or own up to them.

-Ballard is very down to earth and actually lets out a couple F bombs and some other adult words” lol

-Says “F***” that” in what others think about their picks and those who complain and worry about unknown players. States they are going to keep drafting players that aren’t always known because “That’s what they do!”

-Says that he doesn’t go crazy over combine grades. Says team focuses what player shows on tape.

-Ballard says team can learn almost 50%-70% more about a players health at combine because college teams keep pretty quiet about it.

-Colts REALLY care about drafting and building within the organization. Ballard says he will continue to be very “strategic” when signing FA. Says money will mainly be used to sign own guys but not oblivious that only drafting would take forever. Still wants to focus on building locker room.

-Talks about a bit of his FA signing and that he is totally fine letting players leave if they feel they can make better money elsewhere. He said sometimes players get upset about that.

-Also states that it is important for players to find their spot and roll on the team. Uses Chester Rogers as an example. Not trying to be #1 but being reliable.

-States that his draft strategy is best player available.

-Will always put O-Line and D-Line before other positions. Firmly believes those positions win games.

On that note on the combine thing, the Colts put out a video that was an interview with the guy who runs the combine with the NFL.  

He said that the teams consider the medical stuff and the interviews to be the most important part of the combine and consider the on the field testing to be the least important part.  

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

Quick notes:

- Talks about combine interview questions that the Colts ask. He says that they watch tape with a lot of players and put good and bad plays on there. They want the player to explain the play and make them understand why they did what they did and if they understand what all of the other players are doing. They also want to see if the players are going to place blame on the other players for their mistakes or own up to them.

-Ballard is very down to earth and actually lets out a couple F bombs and some other adult words” lol

-Says “F***” that” in what others think about their picks and those who complain and worry about unknown players. States they are going to keep drafting players that aren’t always known because “That’s what they do!”

-Says that he doesn’t go crazy over combine grades. Says team focuses what player shows on tape.

-Ballard says team can learn almost 50%-70% more about a players health at combine because college teams keep pretty quiet about it.

-Colts REALLY care about drafting and building within the organization. Ballard says he will continue to be very “strategic” when signing FA. Says money will mainly be used to sign own guys but not oblivious that only drafting would take forever. Still wants to focus on building locker room.

-Talks about a bit of his FA signing and that he is totally fine letting players leave if they feel they can make better money elsewhere. He said sometimes players get upset about that.

-Also states that it is important for players to find their spot and roll on the team. Uses Chester Rogers as an example. Not trying to be #1 but being reliable.

-States that his draft strategy is best player available.

-Will always put O-Line and D-Line before other positions. Firmly believes those positions win games.

Just listened.  So good!

The best part was when he is asked if he is nervous about trying to repeat how well he did last year, he said no they are prepared, he has confidence in his scouts and its what they do.  He doesn't care about other's expectations.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

States that his draft strategy is best player available.

Bit of a conflict there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

Bit of a conflict there.

No it's not.  It's part of how they determine BPA.  Players are assigned a number for every attribute.  They weight the attribute based on what the coaches want (for example, Mudd values lower body agility more than upper body strength for olineman, so agility has a higher multiplier than upper body strength)

And then part of what they have been doing 12 hours a day for the past several weeks is the team evaluation.  From that evaluation there will determine the positional weight.  So, for example with a healthy Luck and JB as his back up the QB position will have a low positional weight multiplier.  

So, when it's all said and done, they add up the numbers, let's take Drew Lock for example, let's say his total score is 97 but the QB position has a multiplier of 0.6 his score on the draft board is 58.2.  But let's say an OT has has an overall score of 85 but the OT position has a higher multiplier of 0.85 for a score of 72.25.  Out of those two players the BPA for the Colts is the OT because he has the higher score.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, #12. said:

Bit of a conflict there.

Once they weight for positional value, their board dictates their drafting. 

By the way, the poster you responded to was offering a loose paraphrase of what Ballard said. I heard the interview and felt like Ballard's point was they will continue to look for and draft players in the trenches because the trenches are important. I didn't think Ballard was saying they'll always draft a trench player ahead of a skill player, and I think his drafting so far has shown that to be the case.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why do people think saying F bombs on the air is really cool? 

Its like paying a toll to earn some sort of cred with Pat's audience.  I have less respect for a person when they act conformist in that way.

I drop F bombs all day long in the office. Working in IT does that too ya :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

I drop F bombs all day long in the office. Working in IT does that too ya :)

I do to.  I didn't mean to convey prudishness.  Its just that when someone is on the air, radio, TV, it seems they would realize that so they probably drop the bomb just to gain cred with the audience.  Know your audience and conform to it to gain popularity.  Oscars, award shows, and now radio shows; stuff like that is different than using it in every day life.  No big deal, just an observation.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No it's not.  It's part of how they determine BPA.  Players are assigned a number for every attribute.  They weight the attribute based on what the coaches want (for example, Mudd values lower body agility more than upper body strength for olineman, so agility has a higher multiplier than upper body strength)

And then part of what they have been doing 12 hours a day for the past several weeks is the team evaluation.  From that evaluation there will determine the positional weight.  So, for example with a healthy Luck and JB as his back up the QB position will have a low positional weight multiplier.  

So, when it's all said and done, they add up the numbers, let's take Drew Lock for example, let's say his total score is 97 but the QB position has a multiplier of 0.6 his score on the draft board is 58.2.  But let's say an OT has has an overall score of 85 but the OT position has a higher multiplier of 0.85 for a score of 72.25.  Out of those two players the BPA for the Colts is the OT because he has the higher score.

No, then you're talking need.  You're factoring in team evaluation and need.  

Ballard was speaking on his personal philosophy: Will always put O-Line and D-Line before other positions..

If that's what he really said, that is.  I haven't listened to it.

51 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its like paying a toll to earn some sort of cred with Pat's audience.  I have less respect for a person when they act conformist in that way.

Omg.  You probably pulled your arm out of socket reaching for that dig at Ballard.     It's a theme with you,  and it's so obvious it's pathetic. 

The guy has spent decades in and around locker rooms.    I'm guessing salty language is ingrained in him pretty deep at this point

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Omg.  You probably pulled your arm out of socket reaching for that dig at Ballard.     It's a theme with you,  and it's so obvious it's pathetic. 

The guy has spent decades in and around locker rooms.    I'm guessing salty language is ingrained in him pretty deep at this point

He doesn't use it at pressers, or interviews with Dakich or JMV, so being around locker rooms has nothing to do with him using it on Pat's radio show. 

I wouldn't discriminate against Ballard.  I would dig at anyone who tried to conform to the rebel cool guy group of nonconformists conformists.  Pat is a huge conformist (to his group), and that influenced the tone of the interview.

This is semi-off-topic, but I recently found out that Jeffrey Gorman (former Colts.com media employee) works for Pat McAfee now. I always liked his work. 

Back on topic...

As someone who listens to every Chris Ballard interview, I thought the interview was entertaining but I did not really learn much. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He doesn't use it at pressers, or interviews with Dakich or JMV, so being around locker rooms has nothing to do with him using it on Pat's radio show. 

I wouldn't discriminate against Ballard.  I would dig at anyone who tried to conform to the rebel cool guy group of nonconformists conformists.  Pat is a huge conformist (to his group), and that influenced the tone of the interview.

You can't cuss on the radio.   You can on a podcast.    Very different things

• Like 2

1 hour ago, #12. said:

No, then you're talking need.  You're factoring in team evaluation and need.  

A GM that does not factor in team evaluation into determining the BPA is not a good GM.

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Ballard was speaking on his personal philosophy: Will always put O-Line and D-Line before other positions..

If that's what he really said, that is.  I haven't listened to it.

Yes. that means line will always have a high multiplier.

It's pretty simple and it's how any team... whether it's a sports team or a business team is built successfully.  You examine your current state, you examine past performance to determine what worked and didn't work, you prioritize which areas(in the case of team building which team members) to improve first and then you execute the plan.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

His language definitely did not sound forced, it sounded pretty natural.  I agree, I don't think it has anything to do with him trying to conform to the nonconformists conformity conformists, whatever that means.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

F bombs are the most overused word in all medias to the point it is written in to scripts when it is know it will be bleeped out. It has no meaning now days.

20 minutes ago, King Colt said:

F bombs are the most overused word in all medias to the point it is written in to scripts when it is know it will be bleeped out. It has no meaning now days.

As one who does not swear, I would argue that it has never had any meaning.   I should clarify, I do sometimes slip up but I made the decision years and years ago that swearing was not going to be a part of my language, in large part because of my religious beliefs, other because I didn't and don't want that type of language around my kids.

And the language is a big reason why I don't listen to MacAfee's podcast very often.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

As one who does not swear, I would argue that it has never had any meaning.   I should clarify, I do sometimes slip up but I made the decision years and years ago that swearing was not going to be a part of my language, in large part because of my religious beliefs, other because I didn't and don't want that type of language around my kids.

And the language is a big reason why I don't listen to MacAfee's podcast very often.

Same here.  I have noticed that F bombs are waaay more used now than they were years ago.  When I played high school football it was not the curse word of choice. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Same here.  I have noticed that F bombs are waaay more used now than they were years ago.  When I played high school football it was not the curse word of choice. 

When I was in HS there were a lot of words not used they use today.  I hear words used on kids shows today you would have never heard on regular TV.

It was rarely I heard a female even use profanity. Now it's norm to hear a female rip off some pretty choice words.

It still turns me off to hear a Lady use profanity. It's not Lady like IMO.

I guess I am just old fashion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MTC said:

This is semi-off-topic, but I recently found out that Jeffrey Gorman (former Colts.com media employee) works for Pat McAfee now. I always liked his work. 

Back on topic...

As someone who listens to every Chris Ballard interview, I thought the interview was entertaining but I did not really learn much. 

I listen to the show pretty religiously. I wasnt sure if I was going to like gorman on there. Didnt know how he would fit but oh my lord. He is hilarious and fits in well. Love the old locker room stories. The one about costanzo picking up and spinning a chair around at gorman because he was losing at corn hole nearly made me * myself laughing lol

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

The note about letting players test FA is why I think Desir walks. This is has one chance to get a big contract and I doubt the colts will pay him what he thinks he deserves.

Yeah, I’m afraid you’re right.  Ballard will look at him and want to pay him for the player he is.  

Another team will pay him for the player they want him to be (if that makes sense).  There are multiple FA cases where that doesn’t work out.  But you can’t fault Desir.  

11 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yeah bro. I like hate those conformist bro... good lord some people just need to find something to whine about or their lives are just incomplete. I really hope his main stream swear words didn’t ruin the “chee” in your yoga/vape bar...

5 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

Yeah bro. I like hate those conformist bro... good lord some people just need to find something to whine about or their lives are just incomplete. I really hope his main stream swear words didn’t ruin the “chee” in your yoga/vape bar...

why do you exist, to downplay ppl who understand the subconscious of human psyche taking note of the inconsistencies in lesser developed individuals who deem themselves unfit to survive the face of their own identity. 

21 hours ago, DougDew said:

Maybe just shows he is a pretty normal dude, in a comfortable situation that doesnt require being tight lipped. 

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

When I was in HS there were a lot of words not used they use today.  I hear words used on kids shows today you would have never heard on regular TV.

It was rarely I heard a female even use profanity. Now it's norm to hear a female rip off some pretty choice words.

It still turns me off to hear a Lady use profanity. It's not Lady like IMO.

I guess I am just old fashion.

My HS coach never swore and even the kids I hung around with, we didn't swear a lot.  It was funny, now I'm coach and we were practicing against the 7th graders and one of the 7th grade coaches was yelling at his kids throwing f bombs out every 3rd or 4th word and a couple of my players looked at me and said, "How come you don't yell at us like that?"  I told them, "Two reasons, one I don't talk like that in my daily life so I'm not going to talk like that on the football field.  Two, if you guys hear me talk like that you will think it's okay for you to talk like that.... and it's not."

I want to be clear, not swearing is the way I choose to live MY life.  I don't really care if other people swear, I don't ask people to not swear in my presence (although you would be amazed and how many people try to not swear around me because they know I don't swear and I appreciate their consideration).  And I don't hold it against them.  I work in the A&E/Construction industry where swearing, frequently, is considered the norm.

• Like 3

On 2/28/2019 at 12:27 PM, DougDew said:

So why couldn't he be conforming with Dakich and JMV and not McAfee? I think a lot of people conform on the radio because of the FCC, which has no power over a podcast.

I agree with @MTC in that it was worth a listen but a lot of it was reiterating what Ballard has already said. I did like the fact that Pat seemed to take this quite seriously, as his questions were clearly thought out and not just the same questions every journo asks.  

In terms of the swearing, I found it odd that they bleeped out Ballard's F-bombs but not Pat's, was also odd as they left in Ballard's other curses.  :thinking:

As a Scottish person, f-bombs are part of our lexicon....used as verbs, adjectives and nouns and so I didn't particularly mind! haha

• Like 2