Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Day After Analysis........ 2 Cents from Deano

MikeCurtis

Agree with all except for the part about not trying to trade for AB.  I think it is worth exploring.

Luck not running has me mystified.  I really think the coaches have him so paranoid about not getting hurt that it is starting to affect how he plays the game.  He is much more passive and there were so many times this year where he could have ran it and didn't.  Just open field ahead and he tries to throw a low % pass instead.  I can count probably 30 times he did that this year.  I think that passive mentality is starting to affect his throwing confidence as well as his passes have lost zing and he looks very hesitant at times throwing it.

IF I am Reich I tell Luck to get more aggressive next year, and that starts by running the no huddle more often.

• Like 2

I would agree wholeheartedly.  Whether you want to call DE and WR needs 1A and 1B, it doesn't matter.  We need BOTH in the worst way and they should and likely will be top priorities.  Chances are pretty fair that if we all can see it then so does the front office.  Don't care who it is but an upgrade at both is sorely needed.  We have the money and the picks to easily get that done.  The rest is gravy IMHO as I think just upgrading those two positions alone gets us into the top 5 in the NFL.

• Like 2

We need to address DL big time. Leonard needs to gain some serious strength and try to improve his pass coverage skills. I don't want to judge him strictly off the KC game but dang he looked bad. He got wrecked, he got manhandled. We have some good pieces. We just need those to improve and add a couple more and the D should be looking real good. 

On offense i think we need we need more consistent TE play than anything. A legit TE is a nightmare for defenses. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

We need to address DL big time. Leonard needs to gain some serious strength and try to improve his pass coverage skills. I don't want to judge him strictly off the KC game but dang he looked bad. He got wrecked, he got manhandled. We have some good pieces. We just need those to improve and add a couple more and the D should be looking real good. 

On offense i think we need we need more consistent TE play than anything. A legit TE is a nightmare for defenses. 

Leonard agree.  He over ran so many plays and basically just slid by them.  Probably just over exuberance.  He also needs a solid 15 pounds added to his frame imo if he is to take the next step.

If you look at him he looks like a safety out there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Agree with all except for the part about not trying to sign for AB.  I think it is worth exploring.

Luck not running has my mystified.  I really think the coaches have him so paranoid about not getting hurt that it is starting to affect how he plays the game.  He is much more passive and there were so many times this year where he could have ran it and didn't.  Just open field ahead and he tries to throw a low % pass instead.  I can count probably 30 times he did that this year.  I think that passive mentality is starting to affect his throwing confidence as well as his passes have lost zing and he looks very hesitant at times throwing it.

IF I am Reich I tell Luck to get more aggressive next year, and that starts by running the no huddle more often.

There are clearly problems behind the scenes at Pittsburgh.

First off AB is a huge talent that will help some team

But.......IMHO, the guys had such a bad attitude, he didnt play a game.... the guy chose to quit his team, and he was under contract...... an excellent contract. 

The team was vying for a playoff spot

This was MUCH worse than Bell.

I also think that we dont need another clone of TY. I think we need a bigger reciever.

I also have HUGE problems giving up  first or second round picks for aging talent......

31 is OLD for NFL.  Does he give you 2 years? 3?

We agree on Luck running...... not so good regular season...... a needed option, for a win at all costs playoff game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

The NFL talking heads said....... run the ball. .......For once.... the talking heads.... were right.

We needed to get the run started, THEN mix in play action........

I also wonder why, as we were getting pressure, up the middle, we didnt begin some plays with a roll out

with a run/pass option for Luck

And....  Luck had one of the worst games of his career...... there were 3 or 4 times, where he should have been able to get

a first down by running it.......  but opted to try a 5 yard pass....

Yes. 

Luck looked like he was trying to run Chud's offense.  Drop back.  Hold the ball.  It might be related to our receivers not getting open, but I didn't see much of Reich in that O this game.

Our RPO stinks, IMO.  Luck never runs it out of the RPO.  The RPO came into the NFL because of Kaep, RG11, and early Wilson.  Even Deshaun Watson runs with it.  Our RPO simply becomes a long developing fake handoff.  I say either use the RPO correctly or dump it and go back to the traditional play action.

For once we have an oline strong enough to power the D in bad conditions.  Yet we line up empty backfield in so many short yardage situations.

8 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Leonard agree.  He over ran so many plays and basically just slid by them.  Probably just over exuberance.  He also needs a solid 15 pounds added to his frame imo if he is to take the next step.

I think Leonard will be fine

He is a rookie in a big game, that looked like a rookie. 

He was out of position most of the day........

I think it will get fixed

I have more concerns from other parts of the defense...... Like, where did our MLB go?

30 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Agree with all except for the part about not trying to trade for AB.  I think it is worth exploring.

Luck not running has me mystified.  I really think the coaches have him so paranoid about not getting hurt that it is starting to affect how he plays the game.  He is much more passive and there were so many times this year where he could have ran it and didn't.  Just open field ahead and he tries to throw a low % pass instead.  I can count probably 30 times he did that this year.  I think that passive mentality is starting to affect his throwing confidence as well as his passes have lost zing and he looks very hesitant at times throwing it.

I'd trade for brown and draft a wr

44 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

First off...... let me say what a great year for the Colts

We should ALL be happy with the progression and improvement, year over year.

I wanted a win as much as anyone, but all signs are pointing up,

and THE SKY IS NOT FALLING

Time to go to work to take another positive step, for next year

We were clearly not prepared for this game.  I fully expected our OL to dominate.......

It did not

I hadnt really watched Mahomes play before...... the kid is amazing

He can accurately side arm a pass when the DL has his hands up. He goes back to "normal" release when there is no pressure

I remember a very accurate passer named Bernie Kosar that had a normal release that was more sidearm....... 

Mahomes can do it at will, whichever is needed..... that is amazing

He is also very elusive in the pocket. He reminds me of a young John Elway in that regard

They will be tough to beat in the playoffs

Back to my beloved Colts

First off...... we arent as bad as the loss made us look.........  for those that start the rant, where we fire everyone, threads.....  C'MON MAN!

Lets start with coaching

This team was clearly not prepared to play this game. SOME of this loss was on the coaches

The NFL talking heads said....... run the ball. .......For once.... the talking heads.... were right.

I also wonder why, as we were getting pressure, up the middle, we didnt begin some plays with a roll out

And....  Luck had one of the worst games of his career...... there were 3 or 4 times, where he should have been able to get

I get that you don't want the franchise QB running it, but its the playoffs.... you put yourself on the line 

We also seemed surprised by everything......  did we watch enough tape?

The penalties at poor times killed us.... how does a nose tackle jump offsides?

Did our Oline start to take itself too seriously?  Did they read the press clippings on how good we are?

We were getting pushed back.........

Lets look at the roster

Point 1

This team is lacking a pass rush

If we want to go to the next step.....  we HAVE to improve this area..... this is our single biggest hole

Action

Use 2 of 3 first picks on DL.......  With the draft being deep in DL, we could still be BPA, and pick up a very good UT

AND a very good DE that can putt pressure on the QB

AND (because it is THAT critical)  

I would ALSO ADD a significant DL FA .... MOST will be tagged..... but there may be one that might be a fit

(Dee Ford ?) 

This step helps the whole defense play better. With consistent pressure our CBs and safeties will start to get needed INTs

Point 2

This team needs a big, 50/50 receiver. 

TY is awesome, Inman is a keeper, Rogers is a keeper, because he is a KR, and shows enough to be the last WR...... but......

We need more

I dont see Grant in our future, I HOPE Cain can contribute. But, there is NO WAY, I am counting on him contributing for next year.

I HOPE Fountain is a gem in the rough..... But there is NO WAY, I am counting on him. I am so so on Pascal. Let him compete for a spot

For all the Antonio Brown fans....... IMHO, the guy isn't a fit for this team.

I believe that we will use one of our second round picks on this big WR........  I am a big fan of Hakeem Butler or Lil Jordan Humphries.

They both should be available in round 2

Point 3

Many people are wanting the Colts to grab a CB with an early pick. I have to say, I am not one.  I LOVE how Desir has picked up his game..... 

I love the effort of Kenny Moore...... These two are solid players that we can build upon., especially in this defense......

With an actual pass rush, they WILL play better and get INTS.

Our DB need is at Safety.   With a cover 2, you need a reliable playmaking SS.

I like the way that Geathers has played the past few games, and in spurts over the past few years...but 

I wonder how much we can count on him..... he seems to be available, and fully healthy 40-50% of the time

We need to add an additional safety that can start immediately  

I am not saying get rid of Geathers.......  for me...... he has too few games at 100% health and availability to be fully counted upon

I like Hooker, and I loved his playmaking ability at OSU. I like much of what he has done in Indy.  I am getting concerned with bit of fragility

There isnt a player anywhere that can contribute from the sideline. I hope he can play a bit more healthy

We need another player here  (Collins?, Reid?)

Last point

We have a very positive future in front of us.... we relied upon many very young players, AND a first year HC....this past year....

they all SHOULD continue to grow and improve as individuals and as a team. 

As we add some additional some talent (70-80% through draft, I hope) , this team will continue to be a force for the next decade

We are a top 8 team in the NFL on its way up......

I would take butler or the guy from Stanford.

Good post. I agree with almost everything. I think we need to invest heavily on offensive playmakers. You see how players like Kelce and Hill run open and then take yards after the catch and even when not open make crazy catches to help Mahomes when he needs it. We need players that can come down with some of those types of catches and make people miss or run away from them after the catch. I think this is probably the most underrated need we have. I completely agree with you that we cannot rely on Cain and Fountain being that guy until we see them actually doing it. IMO we need to address the position both in the draft(high in the draft - day 1 or 2) and in FA/trade... 

• Thanks 1

Pass Rush is a definite need. Eberflus manufactured a lot with the stunts and twists but it takes time and opens running lanes at times. All the FA pass rushers on the line will most likely be tagged and won’t hit FA. Hopefully one of the talented UT will be their in the first and Ballard can find more help later on. I like Geathers at SS but he can’t stay healthy, Landon Collins could hit FA but also sounds like he could be tagged. Another WR is also a big need but I don’t see a lot in FA.

The Colts made big strides this season which I think was a year earlier than expected. A handful of moves this offseason and they will be back in the playoffs and better next season. 

56 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I think the last 3 weeks have not been kind to Leonard and his play.  People looked at his stats and fell in love with him as a player. Is he Good, yes, but way over hyped.  When he wa not elected to the pro bowl, people were up in arms.  I wonder what those people think now bout him not being selected? 

5 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I would like to think they're happy he was selected to the All-Pro First Team over the popularity contest bowl.

I dont think he was worthy of an all pro selection.  I don't think he is a top 5 linebacker yet. People on this board were so offended that James mayb nominated as droy. To me, James is a better player and more dynamic.  I still think Leonard can b great . I just think people fell in love with his stat line.  He was very average the last 3 weeks.  I didn't notice him on the field at all.  Honestly, I thought he looked below average as of late.  He may have bought into his own hype.  He seems like a player that plays better when he is *. 

I would really like Butler to go with TY.  I think our scheme doesn't really rely on our corners as much as our safeties.  We could really use Landon Collins after passing on him for Dorsett.  Pass rush is an obvious need, both inside and out.  We could also use a RT who could kick Smith inside and maybe take over for at LT.  Overall this team is good but we need playmakers on both sides of the ball.  

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I dont think he was worthy of an all pro selection.  I don't think he is a top 5 linebacker yet.

Do you think five linebackers had a better season than him? He made some mistakes but he had a great season. He's not a finished product but he's probably in the conversation of top 5 LBs.

17 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He was very average the last 3 weeks.  I didn't notice him on the field at all.

27 tackles in the two playoff games. Maybe Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder could claim they didn't see Leonard on the field the last three weeks.

• Like 4

I honestly think the quickest way to fix the WR need is to trade for one.  The FA guys are nothing special.  Maybe one of them is a 3 but not a 1 or 2.  1's or 2's don't get free just like ER's.   I like the idea of drafting one early too.  That said the chance of that player being a difference maker early is a long shot at best.  Nothing wrong with trading for a need.  Belicheck does it a lot.  We have the ammo to do it too between picks and Brissett.  Ballard has made trades every year so far.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was to make another one for a WR. 

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

First off...... let me say what a great year for the Colts

We should ALL be happy with the progression and improvement, year over year.

I wanted a win as much as anyone, but all signs are pointing up,

and THE SKY IS NOT FALLING

Time to go to work to take another positive step, for next year

We were clearly not prepared for this game.  I fully expected our OL to dominate.......

It did not

I hadnt really watched Mahomes play before...... the kid is amazing

He can accurately side arm a pass when the DL has his hands up. He goes back to "normal" release when there is no pressure

I remember a very accurate passer named Bernie Kosar that had a normal release that was more sidearm....... 

Mahomes can do it at will, whichever is needed..... that is amazing

He is also very elusive in the pocket. He reminds me of a young John Elway in that regard

They will be tough to beat in the playoffs

Back to my beloved Colts

First off...... we arent as bad as the loss made us look.........  for those that start the rant, where we fire everyone, threads.....  C'MON MAN!

Lets start with coaching

This team was clearly not prepared to play this game. SOME of this loss was on the coaches

I get that you don't want the franchise QB running it, but its the playoffs.... you put yourself on the line 

We also seemed surprised by everything......  did we watch enough tape?

The penalties at poor times killed us.... how does a nose tackle jump offsides?

Did our Oline start to take itself too seriously?  Did they read the press clippings on how good we are?

We were getting pushed back.........

Lets look at the roster

Point 1

This team is lacking a pass rush

If we want to go to the next step.....  we HAVE to improve this area..... this is our single biggest hole

Action

Use 2 of 3 first picks on DL.......  With the draft being deep in DL, we could still be BPA, and pick up a very good UT

AND a very good DE that can putt pressure on the QB

AND (because it is THAT critical)  

I would ALSO ADD a significant DL FA .... MOST will be tagged..... but there may be one that might be a fit

(Dee Ford ?) 

This step helps the whole defense play better. With consistent pressure our CBs and safeties will start to get needed INTs

Point 2

This team needs a big, 50/50 receiver. 

TY is awesome, Inman is a keeper, Rogers is a keeper, because he is a KR, and shows enough to be the last WR...... but......

We need more

I dont see Grant in our future, I HOPE Cain can contribute. But, there is NO WAY, I am counting on him contributing for next year.

I HOPE Fountain is a gem in the rough..... But there is NO WAY, I am counting on him. I am so so on Pascal. Let him compete for a spot

For all the Antonio Brown fans....... IMHO, the guy isn't a fit for this team.

I believe that we will use one of our second round picks on this big WR........  I am a big fan of Hakeem Butler or Lil Jordan Humphries.

They both should be available in round 2

Point 3

Many people are wanting the Colts to grab a CB with an early pick. I have to say, I am not one.  I LOVE how Desir has picked up his game..... 

I love the effort of Kenny Moore...... These two are solid players that we can build upon., especially in this defense......

With an actual pass rush, they WILL play better and get INTS.

Our DB need is at Safety.   With a cover 2, you need a reliable playmaking SS.

I like the way that Geathers has played the past few games, and in spurts over the past few years...but 

I wonder how much we can count on him..... he seems to be available, and fully healthy 40-50% of the time

We need to add an additional safety that can start immediately  

I am not saying get rid of Geathers.......  for me...... he has too few games at 100% health and availability to be fully counted upon

I like Hooker, and I loved his playmaking ability at OSU. I like much of what he has done in Indy.  I am getting concerned with bit of fragility

There isnt a player anywhere that can contribute from the sideline. I hope he can play a bit more healthy

We need another player here  (Collins?, Reid?)

Last point

We have a very positive future in front of us.... we relied upon many very young players, AND a first year HC....this past year....

As we add some additional some talent (70-80% through draft, I hope) , this team will continue to be a force for the next decade

I very much disagree that Rogers is a keeper.  If he’s on the team next year, it will, imho, be because the Colts failed to adequately upgrade their WR crew.  Also, I have seen nothing from him as a returner that makes me think you need to keep him. 

• Like 2

I also find it to be borderline laughable, these comments saying Leonard needs to beef up and drastically improve.  He’s an All-Pro in his first year and very possibly going to be DROY, for goodness sakes.   Trying to shine a light on so called Leonard short comings are, quite frankly, utterly ludicrous!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Last point

Although we finished in the final 8, I'm not so sure we are.  We may have been exposed a bit yesterday.  I could be wrong though.  It'll take a few more games against good team to confirm 1 way or another. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yes. 

Luck looked like he was trying to run Chud's offense.  Drop back.  Hold the ball.  It might be related to our receivers not getting open, but I didn't see much of Reich in that O this game.

Our RPO stinks, IMO.  Luck never runs it out of the RPO.  The RPO came into the NFL because of Kaep, RG11, and early Wilson.  Even Deshaun Watson runs with it.  Our RPO simply becomes a long developing fake handoff.  I say either use the RPO correctly or dump it and go back to the traditional play action.

For once we have an oline strong enough to power the D in bad conditions.  Yet we line up empty backfield in so many short yardage situations.

The bold, spot on.   I just don’t understand why you don’t keep the defense always guessing, with the run being a very real option to have to account for. Ergo, always keeping an RB in the formation.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The FA guys are nothing special.  Maybe one of them is a 3 but not a 1 or 2.  1's or 2's don't get free just like ER's.

I think Golden Tate can still be a No.2 but he's not young and would likely be a short term answer(which is fine by me for now). He'll likely be looking for a three or four year deal and more money than I would want to pay for him. Some other WR needy team will probably over pay for him. There are other FA WRs that I like but like you said, most of them are probably No. 3s. Maybe a trade is the way to go? 

4 hours ago, threeflight said:

Leonard already has a speed issue. Add weight and his coverage will suffer.

Not that we don't need to play stronger inside.

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

The bold, spot on.   I just don’t understand why you don’t keep the defense always guessing, with the run being a very real option to have to account for. Ergo, always keeping an RB in the formation.

Because with 5 wide you create such obvious mismatches even a caveman could see them.

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Because with 5 wide you create such obvious mismatches even a caveman could see them.

That is why we need 3 safeties on the field most of the time on top of 3 CBs for us to be able to cover TEs throughout the game. Unless we can land a 3-down LB like Devin White (if he declares) at No.26, bolstering our LB corps considerably.

• Like 1

I very much disagree that Rogers is a keeper.  If he’s on the team next year, it will, imho, be because the Colts failed to adequately upgrade their WR crew.  Also, I have seen nothing from him as a returner that makes me think you need to keep him. 

I do feel that Inman moving to the slot ensures a sure handed wide out in the slot and improves our offense considerably if we get 1 or 2 wide outs for the outside to augment TY. I remember during Flacco's SB run how much the sure handed Boldin inside helped to move the chains and keep drives alive.

Ebron is not that chain mover, Inman is, IMO. 

• Like 1

To this point, the Colts were getting pressure up the middle.

My stomach dropped when we sent the RB was sent out wide.......

I was RIGHT

If you are handling the inside rush you can get away with it

This was a coaching issue

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

TUnless we can land a 3-down LB like Devin White (if he declares) at No.26, bolstering our LB corps considerably.

Mack is also a fast MLB

We dont have a true HOLE at MLB, but either of these 2 LBs would help the team

The other holes are MUCH bigger..... 

I still think we are going DL

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Mack is also a fast MLB

We dont have a true HOLE at MLB, but either of these 2 LBs would help the team

The other holes are MUCH bigger..... 

I still think we are going DL

Two guys I wanted and thought would be there at No.25/26 are going back to Alabama - Isaiah Buggs and Raekwon Davis. I am not sold on Dre' Mont Jones at No.25/26, and the true impact DLs worthy of first round status would be gone at that point.

It is very likely WR or S is best value at that point, based on what I am seeing. Not many quality safeties will be available if we don't get Chauncey Gardner Johnson, who can also double down in a versatile fashion as a slot CB. I am thinking S first and WR next, to leave Colts fans disappointed.

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I dont think he was worthy of an all pro selection.  I don't think he is a top 5 linebacker yet. People on this board were so offended that James mayb nominated as droy. To me, James is a better player and more dynamic.  I still think Leonard can b great . I just think people fell in love with his stat line.  He was very average the last 3 weeks.  I didn't notice him on the field at all.  Honestly, I thought he looked below average as of late.  He may have bought into his own hype.  He seems like a player that plays better when he is *. 

He forced a fumble and recovered.  How is that not dynamic? I will admit he looked lost at times, but he is a play maker.

2 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I also find it to be borderline laughable, these comments saying Leonard needs to beef up and drastically improve.  He’s an All-Pro in his first year and very possibly going to be DROY, for goodness sakes.   Trying to shine a light on so called Leonard short comings are, quite frankly, utterly ludicrous!

Eh... I'm a huge Leonard fan have been since the draft but he played like utter crap in Houston and the first half of the KC game. 

Notice when he settled down and played his position instead of trying to be a hero the defense started shutting down KC in the second half. Leonard is great but he is not above reproach.  His regular season success is nice and all but you have to bring it in the post season and Leonard did not until the very end.