Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MMQB NFL Awards

tweezy32

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

About what?

It's not like these are the official winners.  It's just MMQB.

Every website is going to have their own rankings...

And that's where I messed up,  I didn't know that..  I apologize than.  Thought that was the actual rankings! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

I am stunned.. Leonard 3rd in DROY but in 7th for DPOY and is the first rookie on the the DPOY list.  Makes no sense to me at all. 

I suspect James is going to win DROY.  It’s not that he isn’t deserving.

But there’s no way that Vander Esch should be ahead of Darius.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

The voters probably think Leonard isn’t as good because PFF grades him poorly 

That is not the truth. Why?

Esch graded very slightly higher against the run and pass.

Homer's wouldn't have a Clue if they would rather have him than Leonard.

Esch is their 4th overall LB and Leo 6th. The truth hurts.
 Maybe many here don't know Esch is 30 lbs more, timed faster, and quicker. Just based on the TRUE numbers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

I am stunned.. Leonard 3rd in DROY but in 7th for DPOY and is the first rookie on the the DPOY list.  Makes no sense to me at all. 

That is a puzzler. If it's the same voters, how can he be better as a DPOY than a DROY? Me thinks I smell a rat. And if it is different voters for the different categories, it makes no sense. Not a major issue mind you......especially if he nabs a ring!

16 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Maybe many here don't know Esch is 30 lbs more, timed faster, and quicker. Just based on the TRUE numbers.

Leonard had more passes defensed.  More tackles for loss.  More fumbles forced (4-0) more fumble recoveries, more sacks (7-0), and more solo tackles.  I will give LVE credit though he managed to have the "same" number of interceptions as Leonard.  All of that and you want me to believe that LVE had a better season than Leonard???  Not a chance.

The real rankings should be:  (1) Leonard, (2) James, (3-4) LVE or Chubb, (5) Ward.  Anything else is big city bias and straight politics.  Call me a homer all you want.  But if LVE had Leonard's numbers and Leonard had LVE's numbers, I wouldn't even dare to open my mouth and say Leonard would deserve it.  Only James has a slight argument for his all around play but even that pales in comparison to what Leonard, who is top 10 among rookie defenders in every major stat (pass and rush), has done...  Not only top 10 but leading or 2nd in most...

• Like 3

Sport Illustrated has posted their end of the year awards.  Take a real close look.  They have Darius Leonard at 3rd for defensive rookie of the year.  But he is the top rookie listed in the Defensive player of the year award.  They make no since.  :facepalm:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/01/nfl-awards-2018-mvp-brees-mahomes-rookie-year-barkley-baker-coach-year?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social&__twitter_impression=true

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Sport Illustrated has posted their end of the year awards.  Take a real close look.  They have Darius Leonard at 3rd for defensive rookie of the year.  But he is the top rookie listed in the Defensive player of the year award.  They make no since.  :facepalm:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/01/nfl-awards-2018-mvp-brees-mahomes-rookie-year-barkley-baker-coach-year?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social&__twitter_impression=true

Vander Esch plays for Dallas. Derwin James plays for a team that's 12-4. Darius Leonard is better but playing for the 10-6 Colts with Andrew Luck makes him unnoticed. Awards don't mean much. Luck wasn't ROY either.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

As it relates to DROY or PFF grades, what difference does it make that LVE is 30 pounds heavier or had a faster 40?  

These voters need to look at the other Linebackers that won rookie of the year and see that Leonard's season is better than all of them and it's pretty much not close! The only one to ever record more tackles was Willis and he played all 16 games and barely beat Leonard in tackles. Leonard even averaged more tackles a game than Willis all other stats hes better than the others.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Because the votes are weighted (looks like 1-5) so a single person voting him 2nd would make him 7th.