Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts might play in London 2019

ThorstenDenmark

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2810472-rams-raiders-jaguars-among-5-nfl-teams-to-play-home-game-outside-of-us-in-2019

The possibility of the Colts to play in London in 2019 seems to be quite big, as 3 of the opponents we face away in 2019 are scheduled to play home games in London. 

Those teams are the Chargers, Tampa Bay and Jacksonville, which all have us as a potential London game.

I don't know how the Colts nation in the US feels about this, BUT as a fan living i Europe, I hope one of those games features the colts. 

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

Was a really frustrating watch, we should have won easily. Telvin Smith was monster that day IIRC.

It defiantly was. It was my first and only live NFL game, what a weird experience it was after seeing football on gamepass for the last 10 years. 

I know a lot of fans hate them playing out of country but it is really nice as a fan from so long away to get the opportunity to go see a game. In London, it takes me 1h50mins and cost me like 30-50 $ for a plane ticket. If I have to go to Indianapolis which I will one day. It's a 15 hour flight and cost me at least +600$ and the games are out of travel season for me at least.

• Like 2

I personally hate the London games.  I don’t know why bc I don’t have to go anywhere lol.  I know some players  dislike going out of the country.  However, there are lots of fans in Europe and they enjoy it.  When I went to school in England for 4th grade people loved football.  They would tape the games and have parties and watch the games together.  This was in 1991-1992.  It’s obviously more popular now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2810472-rams-raiders-jaguars-among-5-nfl-teams-to-play-home-game-outside-of-us-in-2019

The possibility of the Colts to play in London in 2019 seems to be quite big, as 3 of the opponents we face away in 2019 are scheduled to play home games in London. 

Those teams are the Chargers, Tampa Bay and Jacksonville, which all have us as a potential London game.

I don't know how the Colts nation in the US feels about this, BUT as a fan living i Europe, I hope one of those games features the colts. 

How do you follow the Colts? Direct TV?

I did business in Australia with one of the cellular operators, Telstra. The engineering manager I dealt with was more interested in Andrew Luck (His rookie year) than my companies products 

I think that NFL is gaining interest across the globe.

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

I did business in Australia with one of the cellular operators, Telstra. The engineering manager I dealt with was more interested in Andrew Luck (His rookie year) than my companies products 

If u wanna follow a specific team u have to pay 250$ for a gamepass they show games every sunday but its usually top games

As long as it's not against Jacksonville, define. A game against Jax is completely in their advantage in London. They have a marketing group there, they play there every year so their players are fully acclimated to the process, and it's a far bigger home field advantage than playing in Florida

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ColtV said:

As long as it's not against Jacksonville, define. A game against Jax is completely in their advantage in London. They have a marketing group there, they play there every year so their players are fully acclimated to the process, and it's a far bigger home field advantage than playing in Florida

We really should not be afraid to play Jacksonville ANYWHERE.

27 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

That sucks.

I think the last one was pretty early, which was kinda cool (eat breakfast while watching game) but it's really hard on the team. The week after they are always flat and tired. 

Most teams get a bye the following week but I'm pretty sure we were the exception.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I guess I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't count as a home game.   Those teams get screwed.    I wonder if Jax is compensated by the league in any way for losing a home game.  

Wont count as a home game for us.  The teams that have their home games out of the country generally have problems in their market and are trying to build a bigger fan base. 

Personally, I don’t like the games because of the production value.  The video never looks right and the crowd sounds seem off.  Probably because they’re not playing in stadiums made for (US) football.  

I hope it is vs the Chargers, it will be a home game taken away for them. I'd rather not lose a home game.

If I remember right, in 2016, we played both the Chargers and Broncos at home, and will be playing both of those on the road in 2019 while playing the Chiefs and Raiders at home.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

I got in trouble last time for saying this, but I'll say it again, i HATE London games. Period, whether its the Colts or whoever is playing. 

2 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

We really should not be afraid to play Jacksonville ANYWHERE.

Not about fear, it's about the Jags having a considerable advantage over every team that plays them in London. I believe they have played their every year since games in the UK started. The organization, from experience, has learned the best practices on how to deal with that trip and playing in that game. They have won 3 of the last 4 they played there. On top of the fact that divisional games are such an impact on tie breaker, that should not be a game the organization chooses if they have the option. Bring on Tampa in the UK. 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

If it's Chargers or Raiders, it could be in Mexico City.

The Chargers did play the Saints in 2008 in London, if I remember right. But then, Mexico City was probably not in the plans.

After this year's fiasco, maybe they get the field right so that they don't lose revenue again. However, that is a trip that might be better than a trip to London, if you ask me, in terms of jet lag etc. However, the home field advantage for the Chargers could be significant there, more so than their own home stadium. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Most teams get a bye the following week but I'm pretty sure we were the exception.

We were given the option of having a bye the week after. I think it was an early season game so we choose to not get a bye because we wanted it in the middle of the season I believe.

• Like 1

I think we will see a team moved to London before too long...or they will expand. The home team will have base on the east coast (facilities etc) and then in London as well. They will likely schedule the London games in blocks so that they get say 3 home games in a row, then say 3 road, then 3 more home games, then 3 road, then 2 and 2....something like that. The main issue would be playoff games.....but man that would be a HUGE home field advantage if you ask me! With private planes and advances in injury treatments etc that can be done on the plane and probably advances in sleep therapy I could easily see this happening. The main issue is playing West Coast teams...but it will happen...because the $$$ is too good not to.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

The Chargers did play the Saints in 2008 in London, if I remember right. But then, Mexico City was probably not in the plans.

After this year's fiasco, maybe they get the field right so that they don't lose revenue again. However, that is a trip that might be better than a trip to London, if you ask me, in terms of jet lag etc. However, the home field advantage for the Chargers could be significant there, more so than their own home stadium. :) 

Yeah, the Chargers have no home field advantage right now. And even though they're having a good year (they can take over the division this weekend, I think), the Rams are also on fire, so they aren't really getting any traction.

Things should be better once the stadium opens. The Chargers are reportedly doing well in presale, partly because they've priced admission significantly lower than the Rams. But if they get butts in seats, they'll be able to establish a following in LA. 

And it doesn't hurt to get out of the soccer stadium once or twice over the next couple of years. Mexico City would be a good change for them.

Crazy idea: The NFL should put a game in Sydney once every two or three years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

If they do I would love to go. I hope it's not the Bucs though because Tampa is like 250 miles from me and I may drive there to see the Colts.

22 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I have a NFL Gamepass and watch all colts games and the other games I find interesting. 

So its actually only the colts games i watch ;)

• Like 2