Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberfluss (sp?) May actually be building the monster

GusFring

Dallas is no world beater. Not saying it's a win, but we aren't playing a powerhouse here. 

Their oline was manhandled. Philly's secondary was trash. #22 on Philly was Cooper's wet dream. I think our secondary will do its job better on their weapons.

If our offense comes to play like we know they can at times, we'll win

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The bad thing bout our success on D? If it continues and say we make the playoffs or just miss out. Expect Eberfus' name to b a hot commodity.  The price of fame 

He needs a lot more time under his belt before that’s a worry

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

Don't we get Kelly back next week?

I’m not sure but I hope so

24 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The bad thing bout our success on D? If it continues and say we make the playoffs or just miss out. Expect Eberfus' name to b a hot commodity.  The price of fame 

I highly doubt it. Not sure if we will continue to see DCs made HCs as often anyways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Their OL doesn't look good at all. I think we can put some heavy pressure on them, but their defense will definitely be a challenge. I'm glad it's a home game.

Looks like Zach martin might be out injured too. 

2 hours ago, GusFring said:

You don't see Watson as flustered as he was. And they actually hit him. Dang shame the offense could score 7pts last wk. 

Also, I hope the progression of the D continues

2 hours ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

We are finally getting better on defense it's very exciting 

Dang, y'all confusing me here.  I don't think it was all that long ago when it seemed nearly everyone was trashing the Zone / Tampa 2 and wanting Eberflus replaced...

What this really points out is the evolution of zone defenses (actually, all of them) and the move to nickel, big nickel, and dime sub packages.  But no defense is without weak spots.  The right teams with right personnel can find them and exploit them.  That is a reason perfect seasons are so hard to achieve.

28 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

How did Dallas let this guy go?  {snip}

Eberflus had served as the Cowboys linebackers coach since 2011.

At one point, Eberflus had requested permission to interview with the 49ers for their defensive coordinator job. Dallas denied them permission. That likely ruffled his feathers. Not long after, the Cowboys offered Eberflus an extension for his contributions leading to a 13-3 season. Fellow top coaches like DC Marinelli, offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and special-teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia accepted the extension. Eberflus declined — a move that seems was a "bet on himself and his future" move.

Apparently, Eberflus had some connection with the Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, and where McDaniels was going (as a head coach), Eberflus would follow.  But we know how the McDaniels saga transpired. Matt wanted a DC Job, but not take away his boss (Marinelli) job. Especially if Rod was to get an Asst. HC promotion and would still be Matt's boss.  DC's want their own show. Eberflus got that in Indy, and will likely get the opportunity to fulfill the entirety of a contract in Indy more so than in Dallas.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Dang, y'all confusing me here.  I don't think it was all that long ago when it seemed nearly everyone was trashing the Zone / Tampa 2 and wanting Eberflus replaced...

What this really points out is the evolution of zone defenses (actually, all of them) and the move to nickel, big nickel, and dime sub packages.  But no defense is without weak spots.  The right teams with right personnel can find them and exploit them.  That is a reason perfect seasons are so hard to achieve.

The blitz packages mixed with man-coverage has worked really well these past couple of weeks. Eberflaus is showing a lot of confidence in this defense through his play calling.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Eberflus had served as the Cowboys linebackers coach since 2011.

At one point, Eberflus had requested permission to interview with the 49ers for their defensive coordinator job. Dallas denied them permission. That likely ruffled his feathers. Not long after, the Cowboys offered Eberflus an extension for his contributions leading to a 13-3 season. Fellow top coaches like DC Marinelli, offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and special-teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia accepted the extension. Eberflus declined — a move that seems was a "bet on himself and his future" move.

Apparently, Eberflus had some connection with the Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, and where McDaniels was going (as a head coach), Eberflus would follow.  But we know how the McDaniels saga transpired. Matt wanted a DC Job, but not take away his boss (Marinelli) job. Especially if Rod was to get an Asst. HC promotion and would still be Matt's boss.  DC's want their own show. Eberflus got that in Indy, and will likely get the opportunity to fulfill the entirety of a contract in Indy more so than in Dallas.

I just hope he stays for the duration of his contract... if he keeps this up, he'll be interviewing for HC jobs before long. He has generated more pass rush (even if it isn't quite there yet) in his first year than Pagano ever had here. 

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think you can throw Sirianni into the mix as well.  Both will get interviews very soon if not in January.

• Like 1

I would have thought that after 6 seasons of Grigson and Pagano, we all would have moved past the "build the monster" references.  I believed it to be, in fact it should be, annoying to all Colts fans. Maybe even masochistic.  And we're still referring to it 2years remover from Grigson? Find any other quotable, slash hashtage way to reference how we are building this team from the ground up. Any. Other. Way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Perhaps after next year, but remember this is his first year as a DC.  He will need a couple of years of good D calling to start to be considered.

• Like 2

It is a mixed bag right now, Eberflus' results, due to all the growing pains with a young squad. That might keep him from the list of hot names in the off season, IMO. Same with Sirianni. With the curve pointing up, one more season and I feel we will win the division and both will be hot prospects in 2020, IMO. 

9 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

When you have defenders in the vicinity of receivers and game plan specific blitzes...its not exactly the same scheme that "Everyone" has been "Trashing".

• Like 1

The defensive playbook was installed in OTA’s and training camp. The scheme is the scheme, the plays weren’t just created.

I feel they didn’t have much info on how our guys would perform with the various parts of the system. I’m not sure how much of the playbook they knew early, either.

I also feel they did not have a good gauge of the competition and their strengths along with how to best use the players to defend them.

As each week progressed by, I feel more info on both were clear.  And the players were more in tune with the concepts. Thus better game plans, play calls, and player execution. Good growth all around. Eberflus is a brilliant, young defensive mind. We are fortunate to get him and Reich.  Possibly Frank will eventually turn over play calls to Sirianni at some point in the next year or two?

51 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The defensive playbook was installed in OTA’s and training camp. The scheme is the scheme, the plays weren’t just created.

I feel they didn’t have much info on how our guys would perform with the various parts of the system. I’m not sure how much of the playbook they knew early, either.

I also feel they did not have a good gauge of the competition and their strengths along with how to best use the players to defend them.

As each week progressed by, I feel more info on both were clear.  And the players were more in tune with the concepts. Thus better game plans, play calls, and player execution. Good growth all around. Eberflus is a brilliant, young defensive mind. We are fortunate to get him and Reich.  Possibly Frank will eventually turn over play calls to Sirianni at some point in the next year or two?

Why would he turn over the play calling? 

15 hours ago, IinD said:

Dallas is no world beater. Not saying it's a win, but we aren't playing a powerhouse here. 

Their oline was manhandled. Philly's secondary was trash. #22 on Philly was Cooper's wet dream. I think our secondary will do its job better on their weapons.

If our offense comes to play like we know they can at times, we'll win

Your post is very true and spot on. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Agreed people have really turned around from the signing of Eberflus and the system he was bringing. The thing is...we have never seen a tampa 2 style zone defense with really good LB play. We actually have a LB that get's all over the field ala Brooks in Tampa. We are working on the pass rush...it's there at times...the secondary is getting better....and they seem to tackle well...that's important. The thing is...tampa 2 with some play makers like we had with Sanders, Mathis, Booker, and Freeney wasn't bad. We just remember the days with bad coverage/tackling on the outside...nobody that could make plays at safety...getting gashed in the middle of the field with our LBs who couldn't get off guys and make tackles. This is a young, fast, exciting defense. It isn't perfect and it has some spots we need to get better. The thing is against younger, inaccurate qbs it is a very very tough defense to for these guys to consistently beat...and it won't give up big plays. That said against veteran excellent qb play...I think we probably get carved up pretty good (they know where the weak spots are and can deliver the ball to beat it). We get that dominant pass rusher and tighten things up on the outside...look out....just a few players away from a top 10 defense guys.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Nothing confusin about it, padre. Just fans wantin a pound of flesh each time they have to suffer a loss. You know how awful that is for a fan?

Lol...