Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I do not like Luck as receiver

SurfinKal

I just don't like this perception that Luck can't get hit or he's going to be seriously injured. QBs like Tom Brady have missed a full season just like Luck but nobody complains when he's thrown a pass.

Also the play was suppose to be a Jacoby Brissett run, but instead of covering Luck, Minkah Fitzpatrick came on a blitz which left Andrew wide open.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I’m shocked that no one has mentioned that Luck made an outstanding over his head catch that for sure a few of the receivers we’ve trotted out there this year would have dropped...  And I’m being dead serious. No way Chester makes that catch. 

I thought he was Andrew Swann there for a moment.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlanNC said:

This BETTER be the last time Andrew is a receive.  The way he landed on his shoulder we are so luck-y

What’s even scarier, had the throw been lower and more into Luck’s body, he could have gotten ear holed with a helmet to helmet & then still dumped on his shoulder.  As someone posted upthread (maybe Krunk), save that stuff for the playoffs if even then... 

• Like 2

Not a fan of these plays, at least not in reg season, too much risk vs reward IMO. On that last one, did Brisset “accidentally” throw it high or was he maybe hanging Luck out to dry so that he could get some more significant time under center? lol.

• Like 1

Yo, but how about that corner just leaving him out there wide open? He literally started to line up, and then just walked away. Luck is one of the most athletic QB's in the game. Why would you ever leave him alone out there? 

Chuck Pagano is somewhere cussing tonight going "If we'd have gotten that lucky on the swing gate I'd still have a damn job!"

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

I have more of a problem with Brissett's throw on that play.

Thank you. As always we are focusing on the wrong things and on the results rather than on the process. Just freeze the video on the snap. There is no defender in a 15-20 yard radius to Luck at the snap. The play is great and it looks like it did its job in confusing the opponent. The problem is not with the play. The problem is with the pass being horrible and much higher than it needs to be.  If Brissett throws a normal pass Luck might get 30 on that one and just stride out of bounds when a defender gets near him. 

Look at this: 

hcDaxm9.jpg

This is ridiculous. Why does he even fake the hand off to the RB.... he should throw the pass right away to a wide open receiver(Luck) and this one might even go for a TD, instead he decided to test his QBs max vertical and ability to catch a ball while getting drilled. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

It was a bad throw by jacoby.  If he makes a good throw Luck catches it and gets down and we aren’t having this conversation.  With that said any receiver taking that kind of exposed hit is bad let alone your starting QB.

Oh yeah we are. Sorry but this is one of those situations where it's going to come up . Sending Luck out there is too much of a gamble

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I just don't like this perception that Luck can't get hit or he's going to be seriously injured. QBs like Tom Brady have missed a full season just like Luck but nobody complains when he's thrown a pass.

Also the play was suppose to be a Jacoby Brissett run, but instead of covering Luck, Minkah Fitzpatrick came on a blitz which left Andrew wide open.

No one leaves Tom Brady hanging out to get hit like that when lined up out wide.

Even in the SB the play was designed to allow him a chance to slide or run out of bounds.  That wasn't true with Luck

"LUCK OUT FOR THE SEASON!" would be the headlines everywhere if that stupid idea resulted in an injury or re-injury of the shoulder. Reich said in his post game comments the play was not designed to play out like that. Brissett simply saw him and threw it! Jeff Saturday said this morning he was shocked that this happened. Keep in mind they are in a very tight playoff race and they need every break possible. Everyone makes mistakes and his one and the endzone failure last week are less than ideal play calls. 

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

No one leaves Tom Brady hanging out to get hit like that when lined up out wide.

Even in the SB the play was designed to allow him a chance to slide or run out of bounds.  That wasn't true with Luck

Brissett just threw it badly. The ball wasn't even suppose to go to Luck, but if it was thrown right Luck would have gotten at least 10 yards and ran out of bounds.

I think Irsay is giving Frank a call and putting a stop to Luck playing receiver. We have enough of a threat of that now to make teams practice for it, should they play us. Just don't use it again for a few years.

I remember Peyton saying about how his boot legs working for rushing TDs "you use them once every few years", and that should be the extent of Luck's receiving prowess, IMO.

I thought it was cool. The play worked, teams have to respect it now. I liked the call last week as well. 

I think if it gives the Colts a chance to win, or convert a 1st down, they should do it again. When they start sending Luck on slants across the middle, then I'll object. 

3 hours ago, jszfunk said:

Was that an old Chuck play left over? I hope I never see that again. Totally unnecessary  and to risk losing your qb. I wonder what was going through Ballards mind. I like Frank, but delete it ASAP.

12 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Ok. We did it. It worked this time. 

No more. 

If I were Jim Irsay I would have gone down after that play, politely asked to borrow Frank’s playsheet, scribbled that one out, and handed it back with a pat on the back. Send the strong, silent message. 

17 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Probably one of the more stupid calls by Frank. Does he want Luck get injured on his throwing shoulder?  Looks that way.

Frank didn't call that play for Luck to be the receiver. He was sent out to be a decoy and Brissett took it upon himself to throw the ball to him.  Brissett seen there wasn't a defender covering Luck so he threw it to him.  Pointing a finger at Frank is wrong in this case.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Frank didn't call that play for Luck to be the receiver. He was sent out to be a decoy and Brissett took it upon himself to throw the ball to him.  Brissett seen there wasn't a defender covering Luck so he threw it to him.  Pointing a finger at Frank is wrong in this case.

True. But that would be the same as Pagano saying "I did not ask Griff Whalen to snap the ball, just sent him out there with that play call in the playbook for the fake punt". That possibility and play call should just be scrapped so that it is not even a possibility in the first place so that you don't put players in a position to make unintended mistakes with possible unintended consequences. Unless Frank told Brissett "do not throw to Luck under any circumstance" explicitly before sending him out there, it is a play that has to be scrapped.

At least, that is my take on it. 

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

True. But that would be the same as Pagano saying "I did not ask Griff Whalen to snap the ball, just sent him out there with that play call in the playbook for the fake punt". That possibility and play call should just be scrapped so that it is not even a possibility in the first place so that you don't put players in a position to make unintended mistakes with possible unintended consequences. Unless Frank told Brissett "do not throw to Luck under any circumstance" explicitly before sending him out there, it is a play that has to be scrapped.

At least, that is my take on it. 

I think you are over reacting a little my friend.

For one, comparing Frank to Chuck is dead wrong.

13 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I’m shocked that no one has mentioned that Luck made an outstanding over his head catch that for sure a few of the receivers we’ve trotted out there this year would have dropped...  And I’m being dead serious. No way Chester makes that catch. 

Sad but true :lol: