Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts work out Jalen Collins

1959Colts

3 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Already left town unsigned?

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

yeah but we also dont know the reason, could be he's completely out of shape or something else.

Maybe the Illegal Substance wasn't offered with the deal that's why he left. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I've never thought PED usage was the character issue some make it out to be.  He can still be a good locker room guy and team player, IMO.

My concern is that he needs the PEDs to enhance his performance enough to be a good NFL player.

It's not a character issue in a typical sense, OTOH,it's an unauthorized competitive advantage, one the NFL takes very seriously.  They can, and do, test any player all year for PES.  From my understanding Collins has been suspended 4 times in last 3 years for both substance and PES abuse. Twice for 4 games, twice for 10 games.  His last game was in the Super Bowl vs. the Pats.

My understanding is a 3rd PES violation could result in a 2 year (minimum) ban.  Point being what were those 2 different 10 game suspensions for?

Anyway, he's on the practice squad-

https://www.colts.com/news/roster-moves-colts-sign-cb-jalen-collins-to-practice-squad

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

kind of surprised he went to the PS. he played 2 years active.

"In 2016, the NFL adopted a modification to the practice squad rules that allows up to four players per practice squad to have two accrued seasons, making it easier for teams to have experienced players on their practice squad."  {excerpt from https://bit.ly/2DnvBqH }

It's been awhile since his last meaningful game played. (Falcons -Patriots Super Bowl)

50 minutes ago, CR91 said:

isnt that even less then vet min? Good play by ballard, the risk though is any team can pluck him from our team

Practice squad players can make no less than $7,600 per week (but more is ok if agreed upon).  But if player is called to the 53 man roster, he gets paid the NFL contract amount agreed upon.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shepman said:

And we have right for first refusal

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I did not know about first refusal.  If that's the case then this signing has a chance to be a real winner for us. 

I don't think that is right.  If another teams signs him, they must put him on the 53 man roster and pay him 3 weeks pay, even if they cut him very shortly after.

Follow up EDIT: It is certainly not true.  CBA Article 33, Section 2, paragraph 1 says it all.  I spell it out in a post further down.

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I did not know about first refusal.  If that's the case then this signing has a chance to be a real winner for us. 

49 minutes ago, Shepman said:

And we have right for first refusal

after some research, that is INCORRECT.  Per NFL dot com, most teams dont even find out about practice squad players being signed to an active roster by other teams until AFTER the contract is signed and sent to the League office.  Only thing restricting poaching is that if you steal another player from a team's practice squad, it cannot be done fewer than 5 days prior to a scheduled game. And that player must be on the active roster for 3 weeks for the new team. If cut, he reverts back to waivers before being able to be signed to a practice squad by any team.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, csmopar said:

after some research, that is INCORRECT.  Per NFL dot com, most teams dont even find out about practice squad players being signed to an active roster by other teams until AFTER the contract is signed and sent to the League office.  Only thing restricting poaching is that if you steal another player from a team's practice squad, it cannot be done fewer than 5 days prior to a scheduled game. And that player must be on the active roster for 3 weeks for the new team. If cut, he reverts back to waivers before being able to be signed to a practice squad by any team.

I mentioned something similar above.  Only differences I see is he doesn’t have to be active on their 53 man roster for 3 weeks once signed, but he does get 3 game/weeks pay nevertheless, even if cut early. (Then is on waivers again)

• Like 1

I absolutely love this signing. I think he's on P.S. to get back into football shape and learn our Defense. Then if he can catch up fast enough,..maybe week 13?

6'1"and 4.43 speed. With good ball skills. I watched some of his highlights and he watches the QB on zone defense, and the receiver on man. When the receiver looks back, so does he.  Not enough CB's do this.  He's looking for the ball to get it, not just break it up. Athletic as heck also. If the Colts feel his past is behind him, I'm all in. Hope he bring something to this secondary that it's been missing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

isnt that even less then vet min? Good play by ballard, the risk though is any team can pluck him from our team

Doesn’t the team that has the guy on the practice squad basically get first right to elevate him to the active roster in the event that somebody else is trying to sign him to their active roster?  It would seem reasonabke that the team invested in training him would have that first right of refusal. 

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Hope hes moved up fast so no one can sign him away 

Arthur Maulet is probably a bit apprehensive about his future right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Collins is on the active roster by early next week, with Maulet cut and Walker being re-signed to the open slot on the PS. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Doesn’t the team that has the guy on the practice squad basically get first right to elevate him to the active roster in the event that somebody else is trying to sign him to their active roster?  It would seem reasonabke that the team invested in training him would have that first right of refusal. 

not that I can find in any of the practice squad rules.  Unless you know of a source somewhere?

5 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/2011 CBA Updated with Side Letters thru 1-5-15.pdf

• Like 1

Straight from the CBA:

Changing Teams

A practice squad player can sign to another team’s active roster at any point, but can’t leave for another practice squad unless released from his current team. The only time practice squad players can’t be signed to an active roster is when a team’s next opponent is simply trying to get information from them by signing them prior to a matchup.

Practice squad players are prohibited from signing with the next opponent of their current team any less than five days before the game, or nine days during a bye week.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

Arthur Maulet is probably a bit apprehensive about his future right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Collins is on the active roster by early next week, with Maulet cut and Walker being re-signed to the open slot on the PS. 

That's exactly who I was thinking they should just drop and bring collins up one is a 2nd round pick the other is a complete unknown who even played pretty bad last game 

51 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Looks like that 5 day window is going to be our window to getting him signed to the active roster by next Tuesday.  Here's hoping he shows enough to make it happen. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Looks like that 5 day window is going to be our window to getting him signed to the active roster by next Tuesday.  Here's hoping he shows enough to make it happen. 

that 5 day rule is only if playing the team is was on the practice squad on.  We could move him today to the active roster or even Sunday if we wanted.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

that 5 day rule is only if playing the team is was on the practice squad on.  We could move him today to the active roster or even Sunday if we wanted.

I am wondering if they signed him to the P.S. so they had a little extra time to work out an actual contract? You know, get him off the market so to speak.

i know he's still on the market,..but less so while on P.S. Colts showing him they are wanting to sign him. Give him a reason to stay.

7 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I am wondering if they signed him to the P.S. so they had a little extra time to work out an actual contract? You know, get him off the market so to speak.

i know he's still on the market,..but less so while on P.S. Colts showing him they are wanting to sign him. Give him a reason to stay.

After reading his quotes about signing with the Colts and his conversations with Ballard before doing so makes me think he wouldn't sign with another team without first letting Ballard know of the interest from another team.  He doesn't have to but he might do it as a courtesy to Ballard for giving him his chance.   I have a feeling he will be on our active roster very soon.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

After reading his quotes about signing with the Colts and his conversations with Ballard before doing so makes me think he wouldn't sign with another team without first letting Ballard know of the interest from another team.  He doesn't have to but he might do it as a courtesy to Ballard for giving him his chance.   I have a feeling he will be on our active roster very soon.

link to said quotes?

17 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

plausible. but my guess is its so they can have him work with the trainers and such to make sure he's good to go having missed all season and off season conditioning programs.

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Hope hes moved up fast so no one can sign him away 

Seems pretty safe that nobody has signed him since the SB he played in against the Pats/Falcons so I feel as comfortable he will be hanging around for at least the week to see how he handles a PS workout. 

53 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Seems pretty safe that nobody has signed him since the SB he played in against the Pats/Falcons so I feel as comfortable he will be hanging around for at least the week to see how he handles a PS workout. 

He was serving suspensions that's prolly why he just now can play again 

• Like 1